Long lasting seed packaging from Pacific NW seed company

catherder
By catherder on Sat, Oct 13, 2012 - 5:11pm

I recently posted about buying some Painted Mountain corn seed to grow for flour. I was amazed when it arrived, along with some eggplant seed I also ordered, to find that both seeds were encased in what looked like permanent mylar packages with ziploc closure - having never seen that in seed packaging before (the kind of material a lot of coffee comes in - which seems impossible to recycle).  I was going to decant it into jars, but now there is no need to. It appears to be insect proof and is certainly waterproof (looks like it would survive long term immersion!!) as is. This is from Osborne Seed in Washington state (I am not promoting them, so I will encourage readers to look them up on google). This packaging was a great "bonus" in addition to the fact that they offered the lowest available price on the corn seed. I usually order seed from Johnny's as it is closer to home, and have often been irritated by the fact that the paper seed packets inevitably get dirty or wet when you have them in the garden for planting. I don't know what effect the mylar type packaging has on longevity, but I imagine it probably helps.

Login or Register to post comments