Experience Growing Wheat

jasonw
By jasonw on Tue, Oct 2, 2012 - 7:38pm

Does anyone have any experience growing small patches of wheat?  I am thinking about doing an experimental patch of hard winter wheat this fall using 4 cattle panels with 8' T-posts (wire topped) as the fenced in area (deer and goat protection).  This will give me 256 SQFT of space to grow a micro plot of grain.  Is it big enough to get enough grain to make a pizza? Anybody have any tips or considerations for this endeavor.  Thanks, Jason.

, ,

4 Comments

DRS78750's picture
DRS78750
A very large pizza

Based on a yield of 50 bushels/acre you should be able to get about 53 cups of flour. Enough pizza to feed the neighbors.  50 bu/ac is about average around here in central MO. with a range of 40 to 80 bu/acre. So figure out what the average yield is around you in bu/acre and that is approxomately the number of cups of flour you can expect on a 256 square foot plot. Go for it!!

Tycer's picture
Tycer
Our test plot was point-two

Our test plot was point-two acre and we got 600#. We planted TAM-303, a hard red winter wheat. For Pizza a hard or soft white would be better. Heritage strains of wheat have very tall stems that make great garden mulch or mushroom beds. Check your local extension office to find a breeder in your area to give you some direction on which strains do well in your area. Ask around and see if someone has a small combine or a seed cleaner you can haul your wheat to. Saves mucho effort.

treebeard's picture
treebeard
Some reading

I have long been interested in growing grains, but have never put my hand to it.  I read a great book, "Small Scale Grain Growing" by Gene Logsdon Chelsea Green press.  Maybe I'll plant some this fall when I plant my garlic!

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Thanks for the comments.

Looks like this experiement will be worth trying out and sounds like a pizza party will be in order if the crop turns out.  Thanks again for the tips and consideration. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments