Chris in London Oct 11-12

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Mon, Sep 17, 2012 - 6:03pm

Update #2:

With help from anomad, we've locked in a location for our PeakProsperity.com meetup for Thursday Oct 11th at 6pm London time. We'll be meeting at the Crown & Goose at 100 Arlington Road, Camden, London NW1 7HP (click here for map)

Chris and I look forward to seeing you there!

cheers,

Adam

Update:

Chris and I will be in London on Thursday October 11th, and we'd love to meet up with any of our UK readers who can join us.

We'll be in the area near Regent's Park around 6pm London time.

Anybody have a good location (pub, casual restaurant, etc) to suggest where this Peak Prosperity meetup should take place?

thanks,

Adam

Original post:

Chris is going to be in London on October 11th & 12th.

He's heading over there for a private engagement, but I'd like to see if there's opportunity for him to interact with other audiences while over on that side of the Pond.

Over the years, we've had folks from the UK (and elsewhere in Europe) express interest in having Chris come and speak. Now's your chance to book the good doctor!

If you think you have an opportunity for Chris to present to a sizable and/or influential group, please PM or email me.

And if time allows, we'll try to set up a pub gathering so readers in the London area can raise a pint with Chris!

20 Comments

brighton_roy's picture
brighton_roy
A great opportunity

Thanks very much for the heads up Adam...

It's been a little quiet in the group recently, I hope this will wake a few of us up and get us thinking what we might be able to do to help.  I'll have a word with a couple of people and let you know if there are any opportunities I think may be worth exploring...

I'm sure you could persuade quite a few of us to come and share a pint with Chris too :-)

Tenma13's picture
Tenma13
Hey all, In NZ but am from

Hey all, In NZ but am from London. It would be great if anyone knew some at King's College or LSE, UCL etc as this is exactly the type of thing that gets put on from time to time. I remember SOAS had Noam Chomskey speak. Sure Chris is not going to pull the crowed Noan does, but I sure Univeristy studets would find him facinating... Food for thought. :)

DriverDan's picture
DriverDan
Pubs are not great places for a large chat

Though the beer is a good idea.

I would be more interested in an informal event/discussion than a sit down presentation, since there are many of those online already.

Most of the content is entirely US focussed so it would interesting to know if he has any insights into the UK situation.

northernsoul's picture
northernsoul
Chris in London Oct 11-12

My home town Holmfirth in West Yorks is a transition town and we are trying to build up resiliance here.

Recently had a speaker from AutomaticEarth whcih was reasonably well atttended about 50, so just our small town can muster many more than a pub. Similar town near here called Todmorden has an even more well orgainsed Transition town status.

Come on Chris, the UK is more than London just as the States are more than Washington or NY.

Nearest major city is Manchester and could definately get a venue for you if you are interested.

I've been a fan of this website when I stumbled on it in 2008 when the final chapters of the crashcourse where still being completed. Had a big impact on my family and I.

Personal resiliance includes paying off debt, installing 6kW windturbine, doubling insulation, installing woodburning stove, building woodstore and filling it!!.. installed water butt and discovered a fresh water spring not far 100m from home.

Tried growing veg but a disaster but planted fruit bushes and acquired hives.

stevejermy's picture
stevejermy
Hi Adam,  I think Alasdair

Hi Adam, 

I think Alasdair MacLeod will be talking to Chris at Chicago, but just a quick note to say that I think we could set up an interesting panel in London, for Chris. I'm friendly with James Lovelock (who I've just given a copy of the Crash Course to, and how is reading it with interest) who may be able to make it to London. But I can also talk independently on geo-politics, based on my own book, Strategy for Action, not yet published in US, but doing ok here. 

Subject to Alasdiar and 

Fightingback's picture
Fightingback
I would definitely be

I would definitely be interested if it is possible to arrange something. Can't give a definite yes or no at the moment until I know how much my cars going to cost to get through service and MOT. Travel from here to London is fairly expensive :(

New_Life's picture
New_Life
Interested

Might be interested if some sort of meet with agenda is setup.

Please keep us updated...  :-) 

anomad's picture
anomad
Chris in London on October 11 & 12

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone made any progress on setting something up?  It would be a shame to have Chris in the UK and not try to meet him.  I'm London based, is there anything I can do to help?

anomad

brighton_roy's picture
brighton_roy
no luck yet...

I sent some details to Adam a couple of weeks ago about what I think would be a great opportunity for Chris to speak at the New Economics Foundation in London next week.  I have a friend who works there and he was ready and willing to set things up.

I have pm'd Adam and Chris twice, and sent a follow-up email and unfortunately I haven't heard anything back yet.  With only a week to go, time is getting a bit short.  Maybe Chris has changed his plans or something, but it's a little strange not to have received a reply.

If anything changes, I'll let you know.

anomad's picture
anomad
Great news!

Hi Adam,

Regent's Park is a big area with many surrounding neighborhoods.  I'm pretty familiar with the northeast area of Camden and could make a couple of suggestions for pub/restaurants.  South of the park has some pretty touristy areas where pubs and restaurants abound, finding one that isn't noisy or too expensive will be the challenge. I can get some recommendations for north of the park in the Primrose Hill area and maybe for northwest of the Park, near Lord's Cricket Grounds (either of you Douglas Adams fans?).

Can you give any more direction?

Thanks,

anomad

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Greetings to James

Tell James Lovelock that Arthur thinks he rocks.

anomad's picture
anomad
More details

Sorry, doesn't look like the message went through in last post. 

How about the Crown & Goose pub in Camden, 100 Arlington Road, Camden, NW1 7HP. It is near Camden Town and Mornington Crescent tube stations, lots of bus routes and Camden Road station (Silverlink).  It has a private dining room we can use too.  

www.crownandgoose.co.uk

anomad

brighton_roy's picture
brighton_roy
who can make it tomorrow?

I'm planning on coming up to Camden tomorrow night to meet up with Chris and Adam for a couple of drinks, per Adam's post.  I'll probably be there at around 7pm. Who else can make it?

anomad's picture
anomad
Me

I'll be there!

New_Life's picture
New_Life
Buy em some ale!

Sadly unable to get there (I do live 550 miles away) 

Be sure to Buy Adam & Chris some real ales...cool

Hope the rest of the trip is good.

brighton_roy's picture
brighton_roy
travel update

All the trains from Brighton to London are cancelled until further notice...so I'm going to try and find an alternative in to London. Hopefully I can make it for around 8, but I can't guarantee anything anymore, it's going to be an adventure...

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Thomas Hardy Ale

First round is on Adam.....

Because everyone deserves a Dorchester strong and dark.  cool

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
We're upstairs

Tranquilsaint  -

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the trains. We'll stay a bit past 8pm to wait for you. 

FYI: we're upstairs at the Crown & Goose. 

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Some photos

A few photos from the night:

A big thanks to those who made it - and huge props to tranquilsaint for soldiering through to join us!

New_Life's picture
New_Life
Sorry I missed you all.

Looks like you had a good eve, hope to make another one in the future.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments