welcome post!

Wendy S. Delmater
By Wendy S. Delmater on Thu, Jul 26, 2012 - 9:18pm

Hello to all the new people who have joined this group. We'd really like to get to know you. If you're just starting there is a wiki on this topic at http://www.peakprosperity.com/wiki/74/growing-your-own-fruits-and-vegeta....

If you say hi, let us know if you are an urban, suburban, or rural gardener. You can add your rough location if you like.

My husband and I have a 1/3 acre suburban lot in a semi-rural area in the Carolina midlands.  I've been gardening most of my life but only three years in this climate. We have 18 raised beds and various dwarf fruit and nut trees and bushes.

How about you? Remember, getting to this point took us three years. You may have more experiece, or less, but we are all learning.

4 Comments

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
herb preservation

Here is a great article on preserving herbs.

I prefer to dry them. Some herbs dry better indoors, hanging by their stems. For this, we are about to install a curtain rod over our sink. You can also hang herbs from things like a circular hanging pot rack, a clothesdrying rack, a simple length of twine, or even a ladder.

My rack will be used on basil and bee balm first. Then it will be ready for the lavender, parsely, and thyme. Herbs look (and smell) so wonderful hanging in a kitchen!

We are also adding metal cup hooks inside the wooden valence to hang braided homegrown garlic and onions, and dried chili peppers.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
Facebook

If I like this on FB  will I get the notifications there instead of going through the maze to get to where I want to be?     

We have been  busy , busy in the garden with 90 quarts of  tomatoes ,30 salsa, relishes, peaches   on and on  .   The  drought  is going to kick food sky high and I want to have as much stored as possible .   People ,corn is the second ingreidient  in almost every food or it is the feed that fuels  your meat .     I hope you are getting ready! 

I planted the open pollinated corn that Robie sent me and it is 12 ft. tall  but the farmers fields have 4 ft corn , Everyone is scrambling to bale their wheat because the hay fields are yielding 1/2  of the normal bales .   

I know this sounds like doom and gloom   but it is just a heads up .I am  not looking to save the world right now I am looking to feed my family .   I  do not have time to check out all the bells and whistles on the new site  .. sorry .

I can  post the podcasts that I like to check in on  and some of the other things when I have time .. I just have to know what you are wanting to see and hear .

FM .

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
good place to start

take a listen to some of the podcasts on this site  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/doctorprepper    preparedness Radio .  

My boys built the frames for my indeterminate tomatoes .  We  dug the troughs and  they are doing  great  about  a bushal a day   but then  I decided to not waste the space, water , fertilizer and such so we are growing the beets undernieth  and they love it there . the drip hoses only water the troughs and it keeps a constant amount of water  to both .

We have pickled beets and dried  beet powder now to last at least a year .  BUT  I do have to tell you if your time is money  right now it is cheaper still to go out and buy them .  If you are  needing to learn  before the inflation hits   it is time to start a fall garden right now !   Every year  you will get better .

Heading out to plant more beets and carrots ..

FM

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
gnowfglins

Sorry You all  bugging you one more time today  . Are you familiar with  gnowfglins ?   there is  a  free webbinar  this Friday   http://gnowfglins.com/2012/07/31/please-share-food-preservation-and-you/#

FM

LOL  Safewrite  you are going to be sad you sent me the invite

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments