PM Daily Market Commentary - 12/10/2018

davefairtex
By davefairtex on Tue, Dec 11, 2018 - 8:48am

Gold fell -3.94 [-0.31%] to 1251.07 on moderate volume, while silver dropped -0.08 [-0.58%] to 14.62 on moderately light volume. The buck shot up +0.74%, a very large move; considering that, gold and silver actually did fairly well. The equity market was hit hard but then recovered, rising +0.18%.

The big news of the day is that UK PM May decided to pull the BRExit vote scheduled for tomorrow; she would have lost the vote badly, apparently. Pound cratered as a result, down -1.37% - a low that dates back to April 2017. Good news: the plunging pound will help insulate real people in the UK from some of the difficulty, at least for locally-produced things. Assuming the UK produces things these days. It doesn't bode so well for the sales of the German automakers.

I'm still not altogether sure that this isn't just a clever plan by May to get more concessions from the EU. Certainly by proposing such a terrible deal, it almost forces parliament to say no – she shrugs, goes back to the EC, points at Bad Cop Parliament, and says “well we tried it your way...now be reasonable or else its a Hard BRExit for you!” Perhaps its just wishful thinking, hoping our leaders are that smart, willing to look like idiots in the short term in order to get a better deal for their country.

Gold made a new high to 1256 at the open in Asia, but slowly sold off for the remainder of the day. The long black candle was a bullish continuation, while forecaster fell -0.23 to +0.24, which means gold remains in an uptrend. Gold remains in an uptrend in all 3 timeframes, as does gold/Euros.  Gold did remarkably well given the strong rise in the buck today.

COMEX GC open interest fell -3,567 contracts.

Rate rise chances (December 2018) rose to 77%.

Silver had much the same pattern, but sold off a bit harder than gold; the dark cloud cover candle was mildly bearish (35% reversal), and forecaster dropped -0.14 to +0.09. That was enough to drag silver's weekly candle into a downtrend, assuming we close here by end of week. That leaves silver in a downtrend in both the weekly and monthly timeframes.  Silver has yet to break above its multi-month trading range.  Breakout = close above 15.

COMEX SI open interest fell -2,864 contracts.

The gold/silver ratio rose +0.26 to 85.57. That's somewhat bearish. The gold/silver ratio remains at multi-decade highs – that usually happens around a low for PM.

Miners moved lower, with GDX down -0.35% on heavy volume, while GDXJ dropped -1.00% on moderate volume. XAU fell -0.79%, with the bearish harami candle actually a bullish continuation. Forecaster dipped -0.13 to +0.54, which is still a strong uptrend for XAU. XAU remains in an uptrend in all 3 timeframes.

The GDX:$GOLD ratio dipped -0.03%, while the GDXJ:GDX ratio fell -0.65%. That's slightly bearish, but the juniors continue to underperform.

Platinum fell -1.15%, palladium dropped -0.78%, while copper moved down -1.11%. Platinum continues to do horribly – it just keeps making new low after new low. I checked the COT report: managed money added heavily to their short positions last week. Blame managed money for the sharp downtrend – PL is down 10 of the last 14 days. Palladium remains within a few bucks of its all time high, while copper is somewhere in the middle – a short term downtrend, but it has been chopping sideways over the past few months.

The buck rallied +0.71 [+0.74%] to 96.72. The sharp move higher brings the buck back to within spitting distance of its recent high a little above 97. The strong move wasn't enough to pull the buck out of its 3-timeframe downtrend, although it is back above the 9 MA, so that's a plus. Is money flowing back into the buck? It certainly seems so. I'm surprised the Euro didn't plunge more, with all the fuss in France, Italy, and now the incredibly pro-EU BRExit looking as though it won't happen.

Big losers today were GBP (-1.37%) and CAD (-0.97%),

CNY fell again, gaining +0.04 vs the buck to 6.91 [+0.50%]; the level to watch is 7.00.

Crude fell -1.22 [-2.33%] to 51.16. It looks as though the OPEC production cut (OPEC: -800 kbpd, non-OPEC: -400 kbpd) wasn't enough to encourage a rebound – perhaps the markets are in a wait-and-see mode. That, or the worries that are hitting equities are also infecting crude as well. The long black candle was neutral, but the forecaster dropped -0.33 to -0.28, which is a sell signal for crude. That puts crude in a downtrend in all 3 timeframes. API comes out tomorrow after market close. Nick Cunningham on the OPEC production cuts: https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Analysts-Output-Cuts-To-Balance-Oil-Markets-In-2019.html

SPX rose +4.64 [+0.18%] to 2637.72. SPX dropped substantially in the morning, making a new multi-month low to 2583 (down 50!), and then bounced back strongly. The high wave candle looked strong (42% reversal), which is very good for this candle type. Forecaster dropped -0.11 to -0.80; that's a strong downtrend. Interestingly, the weekly chart looks much better; weekly forecaster is quite close to a buy signal after 9 weeks in negative territory. The weekly has done a good job of picking the trend for SPX. This may actually be the low.

Sector map had tech leading (XLK:+1.38%) along with communications (XLC:+0.76%) while energy did worst (XLE:-1.56%) along with financials (XLF:-1.39%). This was a mixed sector map – seeing financials at the bottom isn't great news.

VIX fell -0.59 to 22.64.

TLT rose +0.41%, another new high. The doji candle was a bullish continuation; TLT remains in an uptrend. TY fell -0.07%, the long black candle a bullish continuation, and forecaster remains in an uptrend – all 3 timeframes. The 10-year yield rose +0.6 bp to 2.86%. Looking at the 10-year yield chart, it sure feels to me as though we're close to a low; RSI-7 is at 10. That's really extended.

JNK fell -0.09%, making a new low but then bounced back strongly along with SPX; the southern doji was mildly bullish (30% reversal). JNK remains in a downtrend.

CRB fell -1.36%; all 5 sectors fell, led by energy (-2.87%). Energy is really struggling right now. I can only imagine what it will look like if we go into recession. Oil at $30? It could happen.  What would that do to the oil industry?  The mind boggles.

I'm not quite ready to a call a low yet for SPX, but I'm pretty close to doing so. I feel that the bond market rally is quite extended, and all the near-term equity-market selling is probably overdone given the current economic situation in the US, which remains largely positive.

Here's that SPX weekly chart I was talking about. This is at least part of what is driving my thoughts on equities – at least in the near term anyways.

[SPX chart]

I really wouldn't be short equities right now. Nor would I jump into the long bond either. And if equities rally, that's probably bad news for gold.

Of course, there's BRExit, FRExit, Italians-get-fined, its just never a dull moment across the pond. That would probably also drive money into the buck, and US assets along with it.

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Gold & Silver Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community of precious metals enthusiasts have focused discussions on the developments most likely to impact gold & silver. Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

1 Comment

davefairtex's picture
davefairtex
France budget blowing out

Macron throwing money at the protesters doesn't come for free, apparently.

http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/worldNews/~3/7_58ojoehmQ/macrons-concessions-set-to-blow-out-french-deficit-idUSKBN1OA20M

Any bets that the EU is going to give France an Italy-style spanking over this failure to budget properly?

Since Macron is a charter member of the club, I'm just gonna guess that France will get a pass, while, with a perfectly straight face, the EU will end up fining Italy for their egregious budgetary excess.

Which will be good for another bump in the polls for Mr Salvini.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments