Ham Radio and Hurricane Florence

Barnbuilder
By Barnbuilder on Sat, Sep 22, 2018 - 12:13am

For those interested , the AMRRON Network did a standout job during this last weather incident. Nets started a few days before it's arrival and the network went to AMCON 1 shortly after landfall.  The pre-planned network comms plan went into effect with nets  2X per day on 20 meters and 40 meters and every 6 hrs on 80 meters using voice followed by digital using Contestia 4/250 thirty minutes later.  In addition persistent 24 hour nets ran on 40 and 80 meters using the FSQ protocol.  AMRRON partnered with Forward Observer and the Cajun Navy to provide commo to both outfits in the field.  A really well trained and competent group of patriot radio operators helping out their fellow citizens. Signal Centers (SIGCENS) composed of a varying number of radio operators were set up. One in the Piedmont/Triad NC area and one one in the GA/SC area. They provided executive summaries daily that were uploaded to AMRRON''s website.  I monitored their nets checking in a few times by both voice and digital. Very impressive and no government involvement. I highly recommend this group for those intersted in disaster or crisis comms.

2 Comments

koapuali's picture
koapuali
Thanks for sharing this

Barnbuilder, thank you for sharing your experience w/ AMRRON.  I've recently become involved with local CERT group and started getting up to speed w/ ham radio.  Have read about AMRRON before, and your testimonial convinces me to follow up and engage.

Thank you for taking the time to share, friend!  Wishing you all the best.

Barnbuilder's picture
Barnbuilder
Detailed and interesting AAR from Florence

Click on the link to the PDF at the bottom of the following page. https://amrron.com/2018/10/05/19685/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments