Portable solar panels and charger

NickAdams10
By NickAdams10 on Sat, Jul 21, 2018 - 9:51pm

Hi all,

I'm not sure this is the best group for this post, but here goes. I am wondering if anyone has found a suitable combination of portable solar panels and charger for charging RCR123 batteries.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

3 Comments

james.wilde's picture
james.wilde
Portable solar panels and charger

Nick, I don't know about RCR123 batteries.  That's not a specification that I am familiar with.  However, there are some very early posts in the same place as your post, from 2012 and 2013, which may be worth following up.  The objective seems to be recharging 12v and/or small devices like smartphones, but the manufacturers mentioned have had six years to develop their products, and it would be worth taking a look at their websites to see what they have now, and whether they can charge RCR123, or whether you can get some kind of adapter for them.

What does one use RCR123 batteries for?

somky's picture
somky
Xtar has a charger that will

Xtar has a charger that will do 3.0/3.2/3.7 volt li-ion.  RCR123 is 3.0 I believe.  The charger is the Xtar VP2: https://www.amazon.com/XTAR-Intellicharger-Display-Battery-Charger/dp/B00JHE7LG6

You could run it with a Goal Zero Nomad 20.  This panel has a 12v output which matches the VP2 charger's input needs. https://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-Nomad-Solar-Panel/dp/B00GU64KV8/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532364932&sr=1-7&keywords=solar+panel

I use a similar setup, Xtar VC2.  The VC2 only does 3.7 volt li-on.  I use it for 18650 batteries.  Unlike the VP2 (12v input) the VC2 is powered by USB.  I've powered the charger with both the Goal Zero Nomad 20 listed above and a cheaper AllPowers 21 watt panel.  

The AllPowers panel wouldn't be an option for the 12v Xtar VP2 because it only has USB power output

NickAdams10's picture
NickAdams10
james.wilde wrote: What does
james.wilde wrote:

What does one use RCR123 batteries for?

Someone gave me a Surefire as a gift, and I bought another one. They are great lights but take exotic batteries.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments