2018 injection to Western WA State group

Taterprime
By Taterprime on Sat, Jan 27, 2018 - 10:32am

I'm starting a new discussion thread for those of us who attended the Jan. 21 1-day Peak Prosperity event in Seattle. If you're in the Western WA area, add your thoughts to the thread. After all, it's not like we're all busy watching the Seahawks in the Superbowl this year... 

11 Comments

darcieg76's picture
darcieg76
Hi, Carl. Sorry I was so late

Hi, Carl. Sorry I was so late to hop on. I'll send a reply out to the e-mail list to try to encourage people to start discussing here.

Do people who came to Seattle want to share where they live, so we can figure out proximity and good locations for potential meet-ups?

I'm in Columbia City, which is a neighborhood in South Seattle.

I actually had a question: has anyone used the LDS cannery (now called home storage, I think) place in Kent? It sounds like all of the canneries had the rules changed (not sure who instigated this) so that you can only order pre-packaged stuff, rather than can it yourself. Unfortunately, this seems to have knocked a bunch of previously available food types off the list--basically, anything "wet" like salsa, tomato sauce, green beans (though I hate canned green beans), etc. Does anyone know of any alternatives? I suppose we could go to Costco...

Looking forward to more discussion in the group!

-Darcie

Taterprime's picture
Taterprime
Great, the Western WA

Great, the Western WA discussion group has a pulse! I am in Bellevue. Sorry I don't know about the LDS cannery but sounds interesting. - Carl C. aka Taterprime

Taterprime's picture
Taterprime
Great, the Western WA

Great, the Western WA discussion group has a pulse! I am in Bellevue. Sorry I don't know about the LDS cannery but sounds interesting. - Carl C. aka Taterprime

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Eastside

Eastside as well.

Costco is typically a good deal for bulk "wet" canned goods (at decent prices) and they do have some organic options. You might also try checking out "Cash & Carry", there's a store right off of Rainer Avenue.

Thanks for pinging everyone Darcie!

xogarden's picture
xogarden
I live in the Kirkland area.

I live in the Kirkland area. I would love to join discussions or other sustainability related activities. However, my job requires me to travel quite a bit lately. I will join as long as I am in town. Thank you!

xogarden's picture
xogarden
I live in the Kirkland area.

I live in the Kirkland area. I would love to join discussions or other sustainability related activities. However, my job requires me to travel quite a bit lately. I will join as long as I am in town. Thank you!

mmaaxx's picture
mmaaxx
I live in S. Seattle

There is a LDS place in Kent, and I've been meaning to go, but a bit worried of indoctrination going alone, maybe strength in numbers?

We've had a couple of attempts before at meetings, one a couple of years ago was fantastic, but folks never kept in touch. Hope we can make something stick!

max

tourcarve's picture
tourcarve
I felt welcome...

I have bought canned goods at the LDS site up in Burlington. I felt very welcome there. The gentleman who helped me said that 80% of their goods are bought by people who are not LDS. I received a lot of personal attention, being the only person in the store at the time. No indoctrination at all, just appreciation for my prepping effort.

tourcarve's picture
tourcarve
I felt welcome...

I have bought canned goods at the LDS site up in Burlington. I felt very welcome there. The gentleman who helped me said that 80% of their goods are bought by people who are not LDS. I received a lot of personal attention, being the only person in the store at the time. No indoctrination at all, just appreciation for my prepping effort.

SmartTripper's picture
SmartTripper
Bellingham

I live in Bellingham.  My husband and I will participate in Seattle area meetups if we have time to travel to and from.

I've never heard of the LDS cannery.  The name implies that one can go there and use equipment on site to can your own food, but a previous comment makes me think that that's no longer true.  So is it now just a place where one buys canned food?  Where does it come from?  Do they stock name brands like grocery stores carry?  If so, what is the advantage?  Why not buy canned goods from a regular grocery store?

Thanks for organizing our group.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
SmartTripper wrote:So is it
SmartTripper wrote:

So is it now just a place where one buys canned food?  Where does it come from?  Do they stock name brands like grocery stores carry?  If so, what is the advantage?  Why not buy canned goods from a regular grocery store?

Thanks for organizing our group.

Hi guys --

Just chiming in to share my experience purchasing food from an LDS (dry) cannery.

First off, you can read my full write-up here: Food Storage Made Easy (FYI: it's an old article and it seems the photos I uploaded to it no longer display)

But to your specific questions, SmartTripper: the Mormon Church sources all the inputs themselves from major growers/suppliers (they are a HUGE volume buyer). These are not store brands. 

The LDS canneries then can the food in #10 cans with desiccants, and claim the food will remain edible for 30 years.

As for price, my past experience has been you simply can not find a better value. The food is heavily subsidized by the Mormon Church (to make it affordable to those in need) and is ridiculously cheap when compared to retail prices.

More details in my write-up linked to above. But as long as things haven't changed much in the past few years, LDS canneries are an amazing resource for acquiring quality stored food at great value. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments