PM Daily Market Commentary - 11/7/2016

davefairtex
By davefairtex on Tue, Nov 8, 2016 - 12:56am

Gold fell -23.20 to 1282 on heavy volume, while silver dropped -0.22 to 18.15 on moderately heavy volume.  Both gold and silver gapped down at the open; gold continued selling off for the rest of the day, while silver first dropped, and then rallied back strongly.

The drop in PM appeared to be driven by FBI Director Comey's re-clearing of Clinton with respect to the alleged mishandling of classified information.  As a result, money poured back into US risk assets across the board.

Gold was sold hard today, gapping down below the 50 at the open, and then knifing through the 9 EMA, finally discovering buyers around the 200 MA.   Candle print today was a "bear tasuki line", which the candle code gives as a 34-47% chance of marking the high.  We have to hope the 200 MA holds; if Clinton wins the election, however, we might end up making new lows.  It will be important to watch how prices respond to the results tomorrow.

The December rate-rise projection rose to 76.30%.

Gold open interest at COMEX rose by +8,377 contracts.

Compared with gold, silver actually did fairly well today; it too sold off fairly strong, but managed to climb back above its 9 EMA, printing a "spinning top" candle on the day which looks suspiciously like a hammer.  In spite of the loss, the rebound was reasonably impressive, and on an intraday basis, all the decline happened at the open.  Silver more or less traded sideways for the rest of the day, which along with the relatively bullish-looking candle print says to me there are buyers for silver at these price levels.

The miners had a bad day, with GDX dropping -3.95% on moderately heavy volume, while GDXJ lost -4.26% on heavy volume.  On the chart, we see that GDX dropped through both its 9 EMA and the 200 MA, finding support on the uptrend line.  GDX printed a hammer candle, but not a very bullish one; it was only a 14-22% chance of a low here.

From a multi-month view, GDX is now at a high risk for another leg lower; the attempt to rise above the 50 MA failed, and price has fallen back below the 200.  If the uptrend line fails and GDX closes below it in a convincing way, I would expect several days of heavy selling.  Since this coincides with the timing of the vote tomorrow, my guess is that the miners will be pounded hard if Clinton wins, probably making another (10-15%?) leg lower.

Platinum rose +0.11%, palladium jumped +5.06%, and copper shot up +2.42%, breaking to a new high of 2.31, last reached back in March, 2016.  Most of copper's gains came during the Asia trading session.  Volume was immense, and copper is now officially very overbought (RSI-7 = 92).  This is 11 straight days up for copper.

USD staged a very strong rally today, rising +0.77 to 97.79, printing a swing low.  The buck gapped up at the open and rose all day long, a result of money pouring back into the US, almost certainly as a result of Trump's diminished chances of winning the Presidency.  Buck printed a two-candle swing low, a 38-48% chance of a low.

Crude finally managed to rally today, rising +0.82 [+1.86%] to 44.89, printing a two candle swing low.  Traders appear to view crude as a risk asset, and so we could say that the recent drop in prices was due to the "risk off" posture tied to the US election.  The two candle swing low is a 36-61% chance of a low, according to the candle code.  We may well have a low for oil.

SPX staged a massive rally, rising +46.34 [+2.22%] to 2131.52, moving convincingly back above its 9 EMA as well as 2120 resistance.  Sickcare led (XLV:+2.56%) along with financials (XLF:+2.51%), while materials pulled up the rear (XLB:+1.53%).  Equities gapped up at the open, and rallied steadily right into the close, printing a white marubozu/bullish strong line as well as a two-candle swing low; that all boils down to a 55-78% chance of marking a low.  VIX cratered, dropping -3.80 [-16.88%] to 18.71.

TLT fell -0.88%, dropping back below the 9 EMA.  Bonds continue to be weak, and remain in their downtrend.  Money flowing back into the US is ignoring the US treasury.

JNK rocketed higher, up +1.31% and jumping back above both the 9 EMA and the 50 MA.  JNK wiped out 5 days of decline in one fell swoop, printing a bullish white marubozu as well as a swing low.  That's a strong risk on move today for JNK.

CRB climbed +0.54%, managing to print a swing low but not by very much.  4 of 5 commodity groups rose, led by industrial metals which did quite well.

The polls-plus forecast at 538 now gives Trump a 28% chance of winning, down 7% from Friday.  Paddy power has Trump a 1:4 underdog.  Momentum has now swung back to Clinton, and so all the "risk off" trades are being unwound.

At the same time, the polls and the market got BRExit wrong.  There will be a huge move in risk assets if Trump ends up winning; SPX will probably crater, along with the dollar, and gold will probably go nuts.  What position to take going into Tuesday?  I don't really have an answer.  Who will end up counting the votes?  I guess it all boils down to that.

Once again, TA isn't so useful in predicting a news-driven market.

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Gold & Silver Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community of precious metals enthusiasts have focused discussions on the developments most likely to impact gold & silver. Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

45 Comments

davefairtex's picture
davefairtex
market predicting: President Trump

SPX is currently off -74 [-3.50%], buck off -1.05, - ignore the polls and watch the prices!   Gold is up +38 to 1312.

My guess: exit polling is showing that Clinton only got 51% of women in Florida, and between 52-55 percent of women in other states.  Reading between the lines, women were expected to break much more heavily for Clinton than they have been doing.

It will be interesting to see if the vote-counting lines up with the exit polls.   Where "interesting" is an understatement.

Jim H's picture
Jim H
Gold is not using it's indoor voice...

Power of the people... 

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
No upsets yet -- but possibly imminent?

Am watching the minute-by-minute results. So far, no *called* states have broken from 538.com's predicted map, which this morning had an overall Clinton win at 71.4%:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

BUT, it looks like Florida, North Carolina and possibly Virginia could be called soon for Trump, which would all be big upsets.

Trump is also ahead in Michigan right now, which would be another upset and would add materially to his momentum.

Turned out to be an interesting night...

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
CNN now noticing gold futures

The CNN talking heads just noted, as Dave did earlier, that stock market futures are plummeting and gold futures are rising.

Interesting how our favorite yellow metal is once again proving how it's one of the best real-time indicators of sentiment.

davefairtex's picture
davefairtex
north carolina??

If North Carolina and Virginia go for Trump, Clinton is toast.  Michigan =  double-toast.  These were all states that Silver had as Blue - with Trump needing to win only one of them.  I am assuming that if these Blue states go for Trump, the "lighter blue" states will follow right along.

Assuming the votes are counted properly, of course.

SPX is confirming, now down -86 [-3.97%].

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
VA just called for Clinton

CNN just projected Virginia will go to to Clinton after an 11th hour surge. So Nate Silver's map is still unchanged as of now (i.e., no upsets yet).

Trump is still leading in FL, NC, MI, and WI -- all of which 538 predicted for Clinton. If he holds those, it's quite likely he'll win.

Dow futures now down -700 points (down 4%), and gold futures up up over 1320/oz

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
First upset of the night: NC called for Trump

CNN just called North Carolina for Trump.

This is the first state of the night called in contrast with Nate Silver's/538.com's projections.

WI & MI are still leaning well towards Trump, which would be major upsets as well.

Trump also has a 100,000+ vote lead in FL with 95% of the votes counted. That would be his most valuable upset of the night (he can't win without it)

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
Fat Lady

In the pant suit ain't sang yet?

(not sure that metaphor will go over well)

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
No Victory Dances Yet

Robie -

It's too early for either side to put on their victory dance shoes.

As I'm typing this, the margin of Trump's lead in MI just plummeted over 60%.

The night is still young...

MJB's picture
MJB
Gold call option

Man.. What a day to buy my first gold call option! Only wish I had shorted the market as well. David Collum did..

davefairtex's picture
davefairtex
disagree

The polls were fairly dramatically wrong about Trump across the board.  He's performing far better than they had predicted.  I'm going with the "market"'s prediction, which already has Melania Trump picking out drapes at the White House.

Even Silver's model now has Trump a 77% favorite to win.

We can call this the BRExit effect, perhaps?

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Second (BIG) upset: FL called for Trump

CNN just called Florida for Trump. That's a big deal. As mentioned earlier, Trump couldn't win without it.

That's the second state now called in contrast with 538.com's predicted map.

If Michigan goes to Clinton (she's still behind there, but Trump's lead is dwindling fast) and WI goes to Trump, it's quite possible that we see a 269-269 tie in terms of state-based electoral college votes.

In that case, there are two special congressional districts (one in Maine, one in Nebraska) that would decide the fate of the election. Weird!

If that happens, it's likely they'd go for Trump.

lambertad's picture
lambertad
Polls wrong again

Makes you wonder if pollsters get paid to put out accurate polls or if they get paid on how their polls appear. I Hope Wikileaks can get ahold of some emails leading up to the election that shows Clinton actually knows she's behind in the 'real' polls, despite what the publicly appearing polls show. Pretty sure someone way smarter than me said "there are 3 ways not to tell the truth, lies, damned lies, and statistics", but I may be misremembering that quote. 

Uncletommy's picture
Uncletommy
Oops!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-s-immigration-website-crashes-on-election-night-1.3152231

I may have a place for sale, if anybody's interested! Oh, and pot's legal up here.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Trump just pulled ahead in PA

This election is over if Trump wins PA. He just pulled ahead there for the first time tonight and 90% of the vote is in.

lambertad's picture
lambertad
CNN on PA

Trump now leads by .1% in PA according to CNN.  Seems like the trend is reversing with rural areas reporting later and much more heavily for Trump. Dow futures off 750 pts. PPT will earn their pay tomorrow. Maybe they'll take a hint from Cramer and Buy Buy Buy! 

Locksmithuk's picture
Locksmithuk
Adam Taggart wrote: This
Adam Taggart wrote:

This election is over if Trump wins PA. He just pulled ahead there for the first time tonight and 90% of the vote is in.

Adam, I was just taking a break from popcorn-troughing while we watch the circus from over here, and I saw your comment. Does a margin of < 0.5% require a recount? According to my live vote count ticker President Trump is level with the war mongerer in Pennsylvania. 

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
<0.25%

Seems like a margin <0.25% usually triggers a recount, but not sure that's true for every state (including PA):

"When a close vote margin (0.5% or less) initiates a recount, paper ballots are first retabulated using automatic tabulating equipment. ... If this retabulation returns results showing that the close vote margin is 0.25% or less, a manual recount is called for."

lambertad's picture
lambertad
This seems relevant at this point

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/11/08/some-problems-reported-as-voters-head-to-polls/

“I went back, pressed Trump again. Three times I did this, so then I called one of the women that were working the polls over. And she said you must be doing it wrong. She did it three times and it defaulted to Hillary every time,” Bobbie Lee Hawranko said.

MJB's picture
MJB
S&P futures

Hearing trading was haunted for S&P future trading after being down 5%. Can anyone confirm? I didn't know they had limits..

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Time2help's picture
Time2help
*sigh*

Expect civil unrest in major cities. Probably starting soon.

davefairtex's picture
davefairtex
PA results positive for Trump: up +1.14%

http://www.electionreturns.pa.gov/ENR_NEW

Trump appears to be up +1.14% (that is, 47.65% Clinton, 48.79% Trump).

98.57% of the precincts reporting.

Trump just needs this state to win.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
AP just called PA called for Trump

The race pretty much just ended. With PA gone and likely Trump wins in WI and MI, Clinton has no chance left.

Still waiting for CNN to declare PA (and WI, which seems obviously in the bad to me). Once they do, it's over.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Everyone declaring Trump winner but CNN

CNN playing it really conservative with its projections. Still has WI, MI and PA as "too close to call" while nearly every other media source has called the election for Trump.

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Hope

Hopefully this means we don't have to go to war with Russia, at least not right away anyway.

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
two questions

Just two questions before I turn in for a restful evening:

Think I can get a refund on my dosimeters?

What's Chelsea to do now, poor child?

Best of luck to all, Aloha, Steve.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Interesting...

John Podesta just took the mike at the Clinton rally, declared that everyone should "wait a little bit longer" to make sure all the votes get counted, and told folks they'd hear more in the morning (i.e., "go home").

At this same time, it was announced that Clinton will not be addressing the crowd tonight.

Is this a refusal to concede?

dryam2000's picture
dryam2000
She's sleeping
Adam Taggart wrote:

John Podesta just took the mike at the Clinton rally, declared that everyone should "wait a little bit longer" to make sure all the votes get counted, and told folks they'd hear more in the morning (i.e., "go home").

At this same time, it was announced that Clinton will not be addressing the crowd tonight.

Is this a refusal to concede?

Doubt a refusal to concede.  Sleep deprivation commonly exacerbates a large number of neurologic conditions.  She's sleeping, seriously.

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Paul chimes in...

...with his pick for "the fall guy".

What We're Seeing on Election Day (Paul Krugman)

Quote:

Now comes the mother of all adverse effects — and what it brings with it is a regime that will be ignorant of economic policy and hostile to any effort to make it work. Effective fiscal support for the Fed? Not a chance. In fact, you can bet that the Fed will lose its independence, and be bullied by cranks.

So we are very probably looking at a global recession, with no end in sight. I suppose we could get lucky somehow. But on economics, as on everything else, a terrible thing has just happened.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
CNN just declared WI for Trump

CNN (finally -- man, they dragged that one out) called Wisconsin for Trump.

Right now, CNN calculates he has 257 electoral votes (he needs 270 to win). MI or PA will put him handily over, and he's winning in both with 97% in PA and 89% of the votes counted in each.

At this point, a Trump win is in the bag.

Get used to saying "President Trump"

dryam2000's picture
dryam2000
A mighty crash is coming.......and the blame will fall on Trump

The Fed & TPTB have their fall guy & an excuse.  They've done so much artificial propping up, and reality has to take hold at some point.  They are now going to let the system crash, and blame it on Trump.  I'm shorting the market.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Gaddafi's revenge.

Hold your applause.

Bucket list.

1. Break up the media monopolies. Including Hollywood. 
  2. End common core education. Identify Cultural Marxists in academia. 
  3. Revisit Company law.
  4. 180° on climate change
  5. Shake Putin's hand
  6. Withdraw from overseas bases.
  7. Recover monies gouged by Big Pharma and medical insurance
  8. Ask awkward questions about Neonicotinoids
  9. Read officer in the military the riot act. Where were they when the constitution was shredded?
  10. Scrap All tax law. Start afresh.
  11. Glas Steagall
  12. Have a quite chat with the FBI.
  13. Invite Professor Haglestein and Dr. Storms over for a cup of tea.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_L._Hagelstein#

Off the top of my head.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Clinton has conceded

CNN reporting that Clinton has called Trump conceding the race. It's over.

Whomever you voted for, I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief that this long, ugly presidential race is now behind us...

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Ok then

Back to yelling about DAPL. #NoDAPL.

Time2help's picture
Time2help
PA

CNN just called Pennsylvania. 288.

thc0655's picture
thc0655
Is this the precious metals commentary page?

I might be in the wrong spot on PP.com wink, but agreeing with Jim Rickards I went out Monday and converted worthless fiat into two gold eagles to complete a mint tube of 20 I've been working on for a while.  Rickards said a Clinton win was already priced in and if Trump won stocks would fall and gold would rise (as much as $100 in one day).  Gold was up $81 at one point when I looked though it has retreated some now.  I wonder what the daylight will bring...  I was going to order some ammo and full capacity rifle magazines, but I can dispense with that now.

NYPD and LAPD are prepped for riot control.  Nothing going on here, though nobody riots in the wee hours of the morning.  By the time those prone to riots wake up at the crack of noon I'll be fast asleep, so I'll have to wait to check on that until about 5:00 pm EST.

I'm looking forward to tasting the delicious irony of Clinton contesting the election.  And though I'm not "happy" about Trump's election, I am relieved that we're not going to have a no fly zone attempted over Syria and I'm THRILLED my F.U. message is getting through to all the people and groups I wanted to receive it.  I'm holding out some hope that with the new Administration, we might actually see some actual investigations and indictments related to the Clintons and their "charity," and some other sore spots.  Has the statute of limitations run out yet on Jon Corzine and MFGlobal?  Eric Holder and Fast And Furious would be another great target for some indictments.  I just wonder how many more felons Obama will pardon before he leaves and fearing the Clintons will be two of them.

dryam2000's picture
dryam2000
BOJ Intervention

Seems like the BOJ is intervening by elevating the USD/JPY to keep the S&P from falling through the floor, & subsequently knocking down the PM's.

http://m.investing.com/currencies/usd-jpy

Asshole manipulators.

dryam2000's picture
dryam2000
Wow

Wow, all of the markets are normalizing very quickly after the declaration of the Trump win.  Gold down to 1295 from 1333 earlier, & DOW only down 280 after being down 800 earlier.  

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Popping off

Lots of gunfire out east (rural).

Barnbuilder's picture
Barnbuilder
Popping off

Nothing here at all and I am in solid Trump country.  I think most folks in my semi rural area are just glad it is over and that it was not stolen as we all thought it would be here in Ohio.  The hard work starts in January and I hope the cabinet picks and other appointments reflect a seriousness that we are in a bad situation and some pretty hard decisions need to be made regarding our energy and economic policies.  I will not hold my breath but I believe we at least have a chance.  As far as thermonuclear war with Russia goes I personally believe we just dodged a HUGE bullet. Just my opinion and I know others will differ. Everyone take care and keep building up your local resources and connections.  When all is said and done, it won't be our President that will decide how we live, It will be us by our individual actions.

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Re: Popping Off

It started off slow, got heavy for a few minutes, then dropped back off to nothing. Just a little reminder that we all live in the world's largest small arms locker.

Concur with respect to Russia, here's to hoping we aren't dragged into something deeper in the next two months.

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Buying time

I'm not sure we dodged a bullet in regards to war (nuclear or otherwise) with Russia, but at least we may have been given the gift of time while the war-happy faction(s) take time to regroup.  It's not much, but I'll take any small bit of good news out of this development.  And speaking of good news, I'm pretty happy with the GDX pre-market being up over 5%...  smiley

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Shocked

I was amazed to wake up and see ALL of the futures action undone when I woke up this morning. 

Sure, I could see TPTB claw back maybe half of the overnight losses. But a swing from the S&P down 5% to green? Gold smacked back below its pre-vote price?

Chris just says this is what the Plunge Protection Team was created to do. I agree -- but am just having trouble coping with the broad-daylight audacity of the stick save it just pulled off.

This is like Tony Stark dodging questions at the press conference, shrugging, and then saying "Screw it: I'm Ironman!". They're simply not hiding it anymore.

Well, they say Daylight is the best disinfectant. With the market manipulators forced to act so openly now, perhaps they'll be easier targets if Trump is indeed able to make progress "draining the swamp".

davefairtex's picture
davefairtex
its the buck

Adam-

The moves are substantially about the buck, I think.  Notice that its trading above the pre-Trump price.  To me, that's the real shocker.  It also suggests that the scare tactics employed by the Clinton/media gang might have been overblown by more than a little.  Reminds me of what happened after the BRExit fearmongering.  Reality turned out to be a fair bit different from what was predicted.

The Euro is down almost a full point.  I think some of that might be intervention - but the sheer size of the move suggests there are real people behind it.  Perhaps part of this is the death of TTIP; maybe its something else that's fundamentally Euro-related that we aren't seeing right now.

Trump & Putin, NATO uncertainty (NATO members having to actually pay up), etc.

Also, the low in oil, the continued rally in copper, the nice move in silver - there are lots of cross currents right now that suggest this isn't just about one group buying some e-mini futures.

I mean, I'm sure they did buy the low, but there's a lot more going on right now than that.

I think gold is actually doing pretty well given the +0.47 rise in the buck.  A RISE in the buck following Trump's election.  Miners are even holding onto their gains.  Most of them anyways.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments