Why is having debt going into a major reset such a bad idea?

barrynilsen
By barrynilsen on Wed, Sep 21, 2016 - 2:42am

So here's a situation.  Like most readers here I'm strongly biased towards PMs and miners because in general most everything else looks bad.  I've got no interest in stocks, bonds, commodities, or GSE/MBS-driven single family housing.  

However, I've got a chance to get some very nicely zoned commercial land on which I could really use to move move all my construction equipment and hold the land productively until a better use comes along.  The zoning is very very good, allowing extremely dense use, blocks to light rail, college campus and a major hospital, etc.  

Owner will take a contract at decent terms in Federal Reserve Notes.  My plan is to move on my shipping containers and put up a modest metal building.  If I put up a little more building, I can sublet it and I'll be saving over renting.

So why not take on more debt, be like the government?  I've Googled around and can't really find the case in an inflationary collapse where being in debt was bad.  Has any government anywhere ever re-wrote the rules so that the inflation only benefitted the indebted government but not the other debtors?  I understand in a deflationary situation like the depression how people lost their farms, but I just think a little diversification outside of PMs might be a good idea in this case.

Why is "getting out of debt" emphasized so much if we're approaching some sort of reset?   Especially if the debt looks like it could really benefit me because it went to cover a productive tangible investment - and may be quite easily extinguished for a few precious metal coins.  Kind of like the story of the waiter who bought his restaurant in Weimar.  I hate "owing" others anything but I also hate renting overpriced yard space.  

I'm really looking for specific reasons and not generalizations that "debt-is-bad . . ."

Thanks in advance for any insights. 

1 Comment

rl's picture
rl
Interesting questions. You

Interesting questions.

You might want to read this article.

The Nightmare German Inflation
A family's life savings could not purchase a cup of coffee
http://www.usagold.com/germannightmare.html

It talks about the different assets, and how they
fared during the German Hyerinflation.

Cash
Bank Deposits
Bonds and Mortgages
Real Estate
Foreign Exchange
Personal Property
Stocks

A lot of businesses did well, because they repaid their debts with deflated currencies. 

I suppose one consideration would be:

Could the mortgage holder suddenly demand full payment?
And, if they didn't get it, seize the property?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments