Podcast

Money Map Press

Money Map Press: Pyramid Scheme Video

An experiment to reach a brand new audience
Friday, August 17, 2012, 1:31 AM

I recently spent three days with a 12-member film crew, Dr. Kent Moors, Keith Fitz-Gerald, and the Money Map publishing team to create a 78-minute video organized around the central ideas in the Crash Course.

It is now live and being marketed to the world, and it is important to me that you understand the reasoning and context behind this effort. Before I do, I just want to say that I am quite pleased with both the production quality and message fidelity of the final product. 

You can watch the video by clicking on this link or the image below (get some popcorn ready beforehand: it’s 78 minutes long!):

Our mission at Peak Prosperity is to create a world worth inheriting.  One element of achieving that mission is reaching enough people to make a difference.  The Money Map shoot was perhaps the most significant experiment yet in our quest to reach a critical mass of people with our message. 

Here's the context: They approached us and asked if we were interested in having the Crash Course be the centerpiece of a new bold approach they were taking in their marketing efforts designed to introduce people to their newsletter offerings.  We carefully considered the opportunity and noted that the book they did this for last year, Aftershock by Bob Weidemer, ended up on the best-seller list as a consequence. 

While we could not control the final positioning, we reviewed the entire script, word by word.  In terms of messaging, we felt that the core concepts of the Crash Course were faithfully represented. I wouldn’t have participated if they weren’t.

But we knew that one potential risk would lie in the incongruity of styles.  Our approach is what you might call 'self sell,' where we count on the attractiveness and clarity of our message to entice enrollments with very minimal marketing on our part.  Money Map has a decidedly more mainstream ‘hard sell’ approach -- one that focuses more stridently on our collective anxieties -- that works very well for them.  Regretfully, a few people who have seen the video mistakenly assume that I am now switching over to a hard-sell approach. That's not the case.

My involvement with the Money Map shoot was and will remain an unpaid gig.  They did buy some books, at wholesale, and I suspect I might get a few cents per book in royalties from my publisher. But if this ends up covering one week's worth of server hosting costs for Peak Prosperity, I will be pleasantly shocked.

So why did we do this?

My motivation for doing the shoot was simply this:  I want more people to be exposed to the ideas in the Crash Course.  The other co-presenters, Dr. Kent Moor and Keith Fitz-Gerald, are very solid and well-respected individuals with their own large and devoted readerships.  And their collective audiences are almost entirely new to our message. Every person who signs up for the free Money Map trial gets a copy of my book.  And perhaps even a greater number of folks who watch the video will come over to our site to check out the Crash Course videos and learn what we’re about.

And if Money Map Press’ different style of presentation is more effective for a certain audience – well, that’s just one more arrow in our quiver. If you know of somebody who may be more receptive to our message when packaged this way, by all means share this video vs. the Crash Course chapter series.  There will be people for whom this style works better than the Crash Course, possibly because it is an obvious sell vehicle, which, for some, will be easier to accept.  Perhaps it's just because we are all practiced at being pitched to and some prefer it this way, perhaps it's because it's a motivation that is better understood than my 'give it away for free' decision around the Crash Course, or perhaps it will be the presence of Kent and Keith that will add the necessary credibility to the message.  I have no doubt, however, that this vehicle will reach people that cannot and would not be reached via the Crash Course alone, for whichever reason(s).  

Believe me, Adam and I will carefully monitor and assess whether this effort ends up being a net positive for this site and its mission, and we will continue to experiment with other uses of our time and additional external partners.  We'll certainly make both mistakes and the right moves over time....that's life and business.  

You try things, and you learn, and you keep moving.

Our promise to you is that we will continue to value all of the same things that we always have.  Our values of integrity, honesty, and trust are not negotiable, and nobody here at Peak Prosperity is here for the money.  Yes, we need to make a living, and we are attempting to do that as we operate this business, but our primary motivation is being able to get up each day knowing we are making a difference and going to bed knowing that our actions were in alignment with our mission.  I wouldn't trade that circumstance for all the money in the world.

So, I suppose I’m saying thanks in advance for your support and constructive feedback for us as we enter into bold new territory in spreading our message. We rely on you to make sure we are charting the right course in pursuit of our mission.

Related content

108 Comments

deehay's picture
deehay
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 8 2011
Posts: 5
Gotta take the bad with the good

Hi Chris. Indeed this is a great video, with excellent production value, and in an easy to digest format. I will recommend it to my friends. And you are unquestionably the star here -- it seems like 90% of the content is directly from your own material.

However I actually like your 45 minute presentation of the original Crash Course even better. Mainly this is because it's just you and your style, and you are a gifted teacher.

The main problem I have with this is the collaboration with Money Map Press itself, and how they promise a "free" set of materials for a non-free 12 month subscription. It's a gimmick and insults the viewers' intelligence.

Finally, I would tell my friends to also ignore all the talk about investments and how to "protect your wealth". Most of the world isn't thinking about protecting any kind of wealth in the context of this material. A first-time viewer of this video would really need to know simply how to survive, then how to thrive, and our mainstream concepts of "wealth" (namely assets stored for future liquidation) will have no bearing in that future.

Make no mistake, I admire you and your team and your desire to educate immensely. Please keep up your great work.

OITW's picture
OITW
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 17 2012
Posts: 28
I swear I've seen this before

I swear I've seen this before, down to the exact same pitchman.  Have you worked with this company before, or have they done a similar product before?  Did you post an earlier version of this that I've already forgotten about?

But even two minutes in my antennae twitch:  what if the only people to survive this collapse unscathed...

If there's one thing that's clear to me, it's that no one is going to survive unscathed, and though your goal is to help people emerge with as little damage as possible, unscathed is a promise that no one can fill.

And other sources are already linking to it:

http://moneymorning.com/ob/economist-richard-duncan-civilization-may-not-survive-death-spiral/  I stumbled upon this entirely by accident at another site that aggregates news links.  However, it looks like a site run by the publisher of the video.

Doug's picture
Doug
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 1 2008
Posts: 2754
Napkin curves

Was drawing the exponential growth curve on a napkin a riff on the Laffer curve?laugh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_curve

The Laffer curve is associated with supply-side economics, where its use in debates over rates of taxation has also been controversial. The Laffer curve was coined by journalist Jude Wanniski in the 1970s, with Wanniski naming the curve after an idea sketched on a napkin in a restaurant by Arthur Laffer. Laffer later pointed out that the concept was not original, noting similar ideas in the writings of both 14th century Muslim philosopher Ibn Khaldun (who discussed the idea in his 1377 Muqaddimah)[5] and John Maynard Keynes.[1] Numerous other historical precedents also exist.

Doug

Doug's picture
Doug
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 1 2008
Posts: 2754
endorsement?

Chris, This may seem like nitpicking, but are you endorsing their Money Map product?

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 7 2007
Posts: 3456
Doug wrote:Chris, This may

Doug wrote:

Chris, This may seem like nitpicking, but are you endorsing their Money Map product?

No, I can't because I've never been a subscriber so I can't do that, and I am not in the business of trading or attempting to trade these markets so I haven't tracked their products closely enough.  I do, however, really like their contributors Kent and Keith and I am sure their offerings have utility to folks who trade and manage money.  

First, they are just really solid and experienced individuals.  Second, they have very large and long-term followings which is something you only get by being good and useful at what you do.  The useless and the scammers are rather quickly weeded out in the newsletter business.  Thery come and they go.  Anybody with a lengthy, multi-year track record is someone I trust (until I hear otherwise) and obviously adds value to their specific audiences.

Again, judging from some of the comments above, I feel called to reiterate that we felt the opportunity to have millions of new eyeballs on the main ideas in the Crash Course was well worth the risk of letting go of some message and tactic control.

Everybody has their trusted source(s) and to align our message with their obviously successful products means that we get to leverage their trust and they get to leverage our work.  That is, Money Map is a trusted source for a very large audience.

So we'll see, but I am quite hopeful that quite a bit of good will come from this initiative.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 13 2009
Posts: 1547
useful collaberation

Well, I liked the presentation.

I hate to say it, but since Dr. Martenson is a Pathologist it is very useful to his/our message that he partner with others who have more "relevant" credentials to the Crash Course (although I could easily liken the cancer in our financial system to a pathology.)

Chris, you might also consider John Mauldin's audience. He not only has 500K+ subscribers to his free "Thoughts From the Frontline" but runs another newsletter for different voices and contrarian views: "Outside the Box." You'd be a natural there. Mauldin is ethical and intelligent. 

RJE's picture
RJE
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 31 2008
Posts: 1369
safewrite, you never

safewrite, you never disappoint me, and your word usage is pointed and frugal ( a gift over time I hope to emulate). Your magazine experience I suppose with your obvious intellect.

Chris, as you and Adam are aware I downloaded this (viseo) to Peak Prosperity a few weeks ago (?). I was neither offended that it could be viewed as a pitch man set up because Keith and Kent are truly outstanding and intelligent individuals. Your message still came through loud and clear, and I never consider your character at risk. The message: SOLID.

A cautionary note from the 'B-' student in a class room of really intelligent 'A' students. Many new folks may appear sounding like me on this site, They are highly motivated, have an understanding of math, politics and such, and do not have many of your over-all and refined approaches to our subject matter. These folks will NOT take kindly to having what they say, highlighted, and dissected for this board to comment on.

The reason why is that they are gathering pieces, and this is a long process when all you have done is put the same bolt through the same hole the last 30 years as it was the best job to take care of a family of four, and education was put off until the kids finished school, and all parenting obligations had been completed.

So give everyone a classy reception and leave some of these folks for those who have a little more patience, and an understanding of where they are at. Frankly, it will help us that are still learning to form our thoughts and challenge ourselves in an attempt to counsel. Hoping of course that where we error someone will be patient and explain where our thoughts may have been wrong, or could have been a little more solid.

We are consensus building, not trying to show just how intelligent we are, and thus sending these folks out into a world where they will absolutely, positively, get run over by a bus if turned off. Frankly, some of these people are family members, come to think of it, they are ALL family members. TEAM: Together Everyone Achieves More. A truism, so simple.

We must help in the very least to get as many folks to fill up their pantries, get wood in for the winter and fresh water stored as possible before the blizzard hits. Hopefully it's not an early winter. This way, what we have to share (our extra's) will go so much further.

Regards

BOB

OITW's picture
OITW
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 17 2012
Posts: 28
Well, I lack the bonafides of

Well, I lack the bonafides of longtime posters on this site, but my first question was a question:  haven't I seen this before?  Mr Essian, you answered my question, thank you.

As for my use of the term "pitchman," well, that's a pitchman introducing the production, implying he knows how to get me through the decline (if not collapse) of our civilization "unscathed."  As I noted, that's a promise no one can fulfill.

I wish Martenson the best in achieving the goal of reaching the MoneyMap audience.  I doubt it will reach the skeptics in my circles who will just see the sales pitch and not stick around for the evidence behind it.  That is a risk I think Martenson understood when undertaking this; this medium is not for everybody.  My apologies if anyone took offense at that.

ehood's picture
ehood
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 1 2010
Posts: 6
Conquer the Pyramid

Hello, I watched the video and went to order the Conquer the Pyramid package. I did not complete the order as the order form was asking for a password. A password that followed the field of where I just entered my email address.  Why is a password being requested in the order form or was that for promotion code?

Thank you.

ehood

maine.designer's picture
maine.designer
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 2 2009
Posts: 2
pyramid scheme video

I couldn't watch more than about 5 minutes of this - it's so slick and - sorry - cheesy. I am an ardent supporter of Chris and his work. I trust him and this site more than any other source out there. But I think this approach is really harmful to the Chris Martenson "brand." As poster OITW commented, my antennae were also twitching from the get-go.

JAG's picture
JAG
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 26 2008
Posts: 2490
I'm a Fool...

This video has made one thing crystal clear for me....I'm just a fool being marketed to. 

I'm sorry Dr. M, but after watching this infomercial, I can no longer respect your work. I understand that you are actively expanding your business model, but the use of this blatent fear-based marketing has stripped your arguments of any credibility in my eyes, and hopefully, also in the eyes of any thinking individual.

Think about what is being sold here...it's just another pyramid scheme. People watch this crap and then invest in energy, gold, and food production, raising the prices of the very things they are worried about becoming too expensive. Then the bubble pops and the rich get richer. Meanwhile you are selling shovels to the goldbugs, brilliant.

Instead of offering a solution to the many problems that this video generated out-of-thin-air, the "call to action" only adds to those problems while enriching the producers of this snake oil marketing.

I'm extremely dissapointed that you took part in this scam. You have destroyed the credibility of your message, but hey, it's a proven business model. 

You must really think we are idiots, and I'm ashamed to say that I have proven you right.

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 10 2009
Posts: 829
Reply to "I'm an idiot....." : Apparently so...

JAG wrote:

This video has made one thing crystal clear for me....I'm just a fool being marketed to. 

I'm sorry Dr. M, but after watching this infomercial, I can no longer respect your work. I understand that you are actively expanding your business model, but the use of this blatent fear-based marketing has stripped your arguments of any credibility in my eyes, and hopefully, also in the eyes of any thinking individual.

Think about what is being sold here...it's just another pyramid scheme. People watch this crap and then invest in energy, gold, and food production, raising the prices of the very things they are worried about becoming too expensive. Then the bubble pops and the rich get richer. Meanwhile you are selling shovels to the goldbugs, brilliant.

Instead of offering a solution to the many problems that this video generated out-of-thin-air, the "call to action" only adds to those problems while enriching the producers of this snake oil marketing.

I'm extremely dissapointed that you took part in this scam. You have destroyed the credibility of your message, but hey, it's a proven business model. 

You must really think we are idiots, and I'm ashamed to say that I have proven you right.

Jeff,

I too, admittedly, was a little disappointed; it's not Chris' best work. But to state that Dr M. has lost all credibility? Not even anywhere close. This video didn't generate problems out of thin air as you accuse. These problems are empirically provable, have been well known for a long time and have also caused many other respected voices to sound the alarm bells long before this video.

Blatant fear based marketing?? How does one sound the alarm bells, warning of something fearful without being fear based. And to lump Chris in with the marketing aspect when he derives nothing from the product is unseemly in light of his history of giving away his work product for free for many years.

Your description of this as a pyramid scheme displays a lack of understanding of what a pyramid scheme is. How would an invester in food, energy, gold etc. be dependant on subsequent investers to recoup his investment (definition of a pyramid scheme). Such an investor recoups on the sales of a product (food, energy) that would (presumably) be in great demand, not from subsequent chumps. You state that  ".....then the bubble pops....".  Are we to conclude that you believe that the price of food and energy is going to collapse in a bubble-like fashion the way that the housing bubble did? If so, then make your case before you disparage Chris' intergity. [WRT gold: To quote Nathan Rothschild "gold is money, nothing else". It's not an investment, but a means of preserving wealth in the face of currency debasemnet. The role of gold is a never-ending arguement that you are familiar with, and therefore it's disingenuous to lump it in with the 'ponzi/pyramid' charge.]

To castigate Chris with such inflammatory rhetoric is unfair and leaves intact your self-accusatory charge of idiocy.

ronpoitras's picture
ronpoitras
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 21 2010
Posts: 16
more reaction to Pyramid Scheme Video

It seems to me that CM's Peak Prosperity is following the standard internet business development model.  The first step is to develop an extensive internet following. You do this by  providing good, logical, well researched opinion and information, for free. It is best if your information subtly keys into strongly held emotions.  In these  times of great uncertainty  fears of scarcity and for safety are close to the surface for many people. As your email contact list expands you add registration requirements, and a low cost subscription for those wanting 'Premium' content, which provides critical information not available for free. To become better known you offer comments and do interviews on related sites.  Having a book, videos and doing workshops further grows your contact list. Testimonials and endorsements increase credibility, and more people jump on board.   

we live in a virtual tower of Babel.  The amount of information, and conflicting opinion, is overwhelming.  Sorting and organizing according to a coherent theme that gives meaning  is very gratifying, and builds attachment.   Individuals feel connected to a group, that becomes a community, with a shared view.   

There is no question that Chris Martenson has earned all the praise, attention and large following he has captured.  He is a forward thinking, insightful  solid analyst. But now I sense a turn in where Peak Prosperity is headed.  I wonder, has it become time to cash in?  More and more, we are being sold - advisors, workshops, books, subscriptions, products and services. Doesn't it seem  ironic that this is happening here when in our hearts we all know that consuming less and living more simply may be the best solution we now have to offer our world?

In the new economy, to restore faith in capitalism, there will need to be a great deal more transparency.   Does Peak Prosperity have a business plan? What are the targets and goals for members and income? Could a new business model  be developed here? More and more members are contributing to the dialogue at Peak Prosperity. Could/should we be able to participate on the business side of things as well? 

kellyr's picture
kellyr
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 7 2008
Posts: 12
Comment by Ron Poitras

Ron's comments are well-thought out and I suspect he is right.

I tend to agree.

K.

AkGrannyWGrit's picture
AkGrannyWGrit
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 6 2011
Posts: 160
Feedback

I have found Chris, the website and his team to have high standards and have integrity. Chris doesn't need to share his business plan, provide an explanation (though I appreciated it) or get our permission or approval to try new things. Personally, I don't like the FUD sell either FUD being fear, uncertainty, and doubt. However, Chris was obviously the backbone of the presentation but it was his friends that were the salesman. Remember, a lot of people have to be smacked up-side of the head with a rotten fish before they realize that there is a bad smell surrounding them. How is a nice guy like Chris going to wake people up if he doesn't try new things. Also, it was obvious the presentation took a lot of work. So put your big boy and big girl britches on realize that life and business is a journey and we all learn from doing not criticizing. Chris, if you have to write your message on the walls with crayon then go for it. It could mean that a child or perhaps many children might not go hungry one day.

Atta-boy from AK Granny

Pioneer's picture
Pioneer
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 1 2009
Posts: 60
the truth, however packaged, will do good

Chris and company's goal is truth and compassion - to get the truth out to as many people as possible to reduce loss and pain. It doesn't matter how the truth is packaged, it is still the truth and so it will do good.

Chris made it clear that this new packaging will not benefit the Peak Prosperity mission significantly and that financial gain was irrelevant and that the facts and observations of the Crash Course were not compromised - he shared the insights of Crash Course and lent his integrity to the video by participation to help more people of a different media bias. If more money did come in to further the Peak Prosperity mission, even if others were capitalizing on this truth, would that not be good and would it lessen the truth and its benefit to people?   Maybe some would be put off by the medium of the truth, but if they are seeking the truth they will dig further and perhaps discover Peak Prosperity or at least view They Crash Course.

Would we all be disappointed in Chris and company, and reject the Peak Prosperity message if Fox News took it up? Look how many people would be enlightened by such an event, however immature we may consider their mentality for even tuning into Fox News, and however immoral has been the past behavior of that company?

And will any of those here coming down on Chris for this supposed cardinal sin tune out of future Peak Prosperity wisdom?   Probably not, because we all sense that he and his colleagues are sincere seekers after truth, and they care - they are working from both the intellect and the heart.

I hope we all know that the truth is not owned by nor does it depend on any one person - it stands of itself and it belongs to all of us. Chris had the intellect, dedication to objective scientific inquiry, sober engagement of reality, and the toughness to explore the truth fearlessly and the compassion to share his findings with all of humanity in a way that has helped crystallize into a useful understanding the growing sense we all already had of what is happening, but he did not create the reality. Did Galileo make the reality that the universe does not revolve around the earth? He just gave us one more piece to the puzzle that helped us all put together the real picture.

Although we are grateful for Chris, his wife and the Peak Prosperity team's critical contribution to the evolving understanding that is helping us and others, it is unfair and false to lay the weight of our "faith" on their shoulders as the guardians of truth - that is a burden no one can or should try to bear. Although Chris and company have a "following" of sorts, they are not responsible for our welfare, for our destinies,  nor for making the final determination of what is the truth. We tune in to what is expressed on Peak Prosperity because it usually rings true in our own heart.

I am expressing all this because some of the negative comments here imply a confidence in Chris and company's analysis of reality that borders on blind faith and dependence for moral light, which is wrong and leads to unreasonable, unfair, untrue and unkind misgivings such as those expressed in comments here. Chris cannot betray us because it is the truth that we are loyal to.

Another thing: Those who stand up and make a commitment to the truth are always going to draw criticism, draw fire. But they know the truth stands no matter if the whole world condemns them because they care for the truth and the welfare of others, and that's all that matters. I am sorry that the Peak Prosperity team has to expend precious energy and care, and I hope not worry, to deal with the persistent misgivings of subscribers whose "faith is shaken" (and faith is the problem), and I hope they are not discouraged by all this.

Keep up the good work at Peak Prosperity, and more power to you all!

kmaher's picture
kmaher
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 5 2009
Posts: 76
Chris,     I applaud you for

Chris,

    I applaud you for giving this a try.  I didn't watch the whole video as this type of presentation doesn't appeal to me personally.  What I appplaud is not the style of the presentation but the effort to reach more people.  Unfortunately, it has been show repeatedly that people make decisions based on emotions more so than facts.  This type of marketing works along those lines.

    We need more of an exposure of these ideas and facts.  I don't know if we have two weeks or twenty years before we hit the wall(I'm pretty sure it won't take twenty years but I keep on being amazed at how it keeps going), but I want an awareness of these important issues to take some hold before it does.  That seems to hold out the most hope for finally responding intelligently versus following some demagogue who plays on anger and fear. 

    Keep doing what you're doing.  I may not personally respond to all of it but I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish.

                                                                          Kevin

Oliveoilguy's picture
Oliveoilguy
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 29 2012
Posts: 377
The unpublished chapter

Chris,

Would you please give a link to the "unpublished chapter". If it has vital information, I'm sure you want your paid subscribers to have it.

jpitre's picture
jpitre
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 3 2009
Posts: 366
Money Map Press

I thought the initial presentation was acceptably well done, however the editing brought the fear factor way up scale in order to sell the product. The last portion left me with the feeling that I've been had and all that went before was information not to be trusted.

In my case, I've been studying the crash course and associated materials for several years now so I know the Martensen portion of the presentation was accurate, however if I were not familiar with the story, I would completely discount the whole with the feeling that I had been scammed yet again.

Chris, this is not a criticism of your work and facts or the way you personally presented, but when combined with the shallow sales pitch, I don't think the overall was benficial to your/our cause.

Keep up the good work you otherwise have been doing !

Jim

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Status: Peak Prosperity Co-founder (Offline)
Joined: May 26 2009
Posts: 1860
Oliveoilguy

We already have.

The 'unpublished chapter' the MMP video refers to is based on this Insider issued to enrolled members back in April.

Oliveoilguy's picture
Oliveoilguy
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 29 2012
Posts: 377
unpublished chapter

Thanks Adam

Rector's picture
Rector
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 8 2010
Posts: 346
Good Grief. . .The Arrogance!

This topic came up when the "endorsed financial advisor" relationship was announced.  It pissed me off then, and I am pissed off even more now:

What drama!  How horrible it must be to have to exist inside the bubble of intellectual righteousness that you apparently inhabit!  How will you cope?

For crying out loud!  Chris is using multiple channels to get the message out while the opportunities exist.  Chris's participation in this video doesn't do anything other than spread the awareness a little further. The quality of the ideas and concepts, as well as the purity of his motives, remain the same.  If he was selling cases of MRE's after a dramatic presentation of the "Social Collapse and Martial Law:  The End is Nigh!", then I could see your point.  But he's not.  Did you read the introduction he posted? 

The people who gather, orgainze, and bring us this material must also make a living.  Quit with the leftist canard that "commerce" and "filthy lucre" will taint the message.  

1.  I noted no particular hyperbole or drama in the presentation that wasn't merited.

2.  The man is making no money from this presentation. (Perhaps he could if he didn't have to worry about the unwarranted criticism from the Pharisees.  I think he SHOULD MAKE A PROFIT!)

3.  The mission of the website is not communist piety, but to spread the message that big change is coming.  It's his mission, his message, and his website! Cancel your membership!  

4.  The product isn't a scam.  It's information.  The Crash Course book isn't any different in this setting than if you bought it from Amazon.  The information is TRUE.  How has the TRUTH of the message changed by being included in this offer?

"You must really think we are idiouts, and I'm ashamed to say. . ."

What an insulting and unnecessarily combative response to Chris and the people who work at PP.com.  There is no reason to attack the integrity and insult a man who has worked so hard to get this message out into the public sphere.  PP.com is his business to run the way he sees fit, without the choir whining that the preacher is meeting with sinners.  

Your callous disrespect and lack of civility, and hurtful accusations are offensive and demonstrate your low character.  Why don't you start your own website?  I'm sure the righteous out there would rally around your pure and unsoiled recitation of the "facts".  Judging be the volume of your posts, you seem to have plenty of time to opine.

You have the right to disagree, but you don't have the right to insult and accuse Dr. M without just cause because of your own arrogant cynicism (implied by referring to your fellow citizens as "sheeple"; how lucky you are to be so much smarter!) 

I look forward to your caustic response.

Rector

Rector's picture
Rector
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 8 2010
Posts: 346
Spare yourself.

Be sure not to purchase anything until the "new economy" kicks in.  The one where the profit motive is socialized. . .

Phil Williams's picture
Phil Williams
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 14 2009
Posts: 229
Buying "Investments" will not work as it is intended

I am a big supporter of Chris and his work, and I know he is not necessarily selling anything, but I don't think the message the video is sending out is right. In 2006' when I was really waking up, I was lured into the same nonsense of things are going to be bad, but if you just follow me and buy the "good" stocks everything will be great, and you will be wealthy. I really do believe in the main thesis of Chris' work, but I don't think anyone gets out of pain by buying certain investments.

After years of research and anguish, I eventually came to the conclusion that the only sane thing to do is opt out of as much as possible. So.....

*Get out of debt

*Grow and provide for yourself as much as possible

*Cash out of the bank

*Physical gold and silver

*Get rid of the TV

*Get out of the consumer mindset as much as you can, you don't need things to be happy

*Worry only about your sphere of influence, you will be happier and more successful if you do.

RJE's picture
RJE
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 31 2008
Posts: 1369
Kevin, you nailed it. Those

Kevin, you nailed it. Those of us who TRUST understand the motivation.

The crash course (I was hooked after 16 chapters, the last 4 were a bonus) in addition to helping all of us understand what is happening in the economy, can plan for a financial push (at least and even make money), and the crash course ( with the message ) will save lives in the (how to prepare for the coming crisis) preparations to a crisis too.

This site and message WILL save someones life. I say get the message out and save two lives then.

I can say with absolute certainty it has changed every members lives who follow Peak Prosperity (including mine I believe), and perhaps it may have saved our lives (yet to be determined) by giving us an understanding. On top of this we get all points of view like Mish's Podcast, Gregor and Smith. Valuable information and a whole host of other important and relevent points of view. This is a priceless site backed by someone I trust and THAT is a commodity so rare these days. 

Yes, anyone having a feeling that this is an infomercial can just shut it down, no harm, but all three MEN have spoken the absolute truth, and I'm a truth seeker. I didn't apply for the materials at the end because I was already satisfied with the message times three!

I have complaints too, like betting some fool who disagrees with Chris with silver, or being flip with a paid member or any person here just being honest about his take on things, and this is healthy so long as we challenge ourselves with a different perspective so that as grown ups we can make up our own minds.. So this too is healthy but lets not lose sight of what may be accomplished, and that's to prepare as many good folks out there who come to PP for the truth. I found chrismartensen.com from just such places as the video came from. I'm hooked and learning every day, and I didn't know shiaattt. It could be argued perhaps that I still don't but Chris is a character Man, Adam too so I'm solid with my way forward are my thoughts.

Bottom line: Chris's CHARACTER stays intact, no question about this, Adams too, and ours too, and we get the added bonus!, now get this!!, of perhaps helping to save lives (!!!) all for the price of stretching our message out to some infomercial type format!!!. Please wait until the end of this message to get a FREE thank you from me for finding this incredible site, and all you fine folks, my blessing.

THANK YOU!!!

Respectfully Given

BOB 

herewego's picture
herewego
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 11 2010
Posts: 81
interesting experiment

I really did not like the tone of the presentation.  One reason The Crash Course was an instant success for me is that it offered information and expected me to think for myself.  It felt rigorous and honest.  So does most of what happens on this website. 

Normally I would dismiss something like "Your Future...." with disappointment: important information mixed with emotional manipulation and marketing.  Yuk.

However, Chris has recently been making it clear he intends to inform people en masse of our situation.  Wow.  Without consciously realizing, I had given up on enough of us being able to understand to make much of a difference.   It is heartening that Chris and Co. have not.  I will continue to have one-to-one conversations with those who seem open and more persistantly with those I love, and I will remain encouraging of PeakProsperity's moves in the direction of mass awareness. 

What kind of feedback is coming from non-PP viewers of "Your Future: the Ultimate Pyramid Scheme"?

Susan

yracaz's picture
yracaz
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 23 2009
Posts: 9
I agree

Please provide the unpublished chapter

[Adam: already provided in my earlier response to Oliveoilguy]

rocketgirl2's picture
rocketgirl2
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 24 2012
Posts: 41
ronpoitras wrote: It seems to

ronpoitras wrote:

It seems to me that CM's Peak Prosperity is following the standard internet business development model.  The first step is to develop an extensive internet following. You do this by  providing good, logical, well researched opinion and information, for free. It is best if your information subtly keys into strongly held emotions.  In these  times of great uncertainty  fears of scarcity and for safety are close to the surface for many people. As your email contact list expands you add registration requirements, and a low cost subscription for those wanting 'Premium' content, which provides critical information not available for free. To become better known you offer comments and do interviews on related sites.  Having a book, videos and doing workshops further grows your contact list. Testimonials and endorsements increase credibility, and more people jump on board.   

we live in a virtual tower of Babel.  The amount of information, and conflicting opinion, is overwhelming.  Sorting and organizing according to a coherent theme that gives meaning  is very gratifying, and builds attachment.   Individuals feel connected to a group, that becomes a community, with a shared view.   

There is no question that Chris Martenson has earned all the praise, attention and large following he has captured.  He is a forward thinking, insightful  solid analyst. But now I sense a turn in where Peak Prosperity is headed.  I wonder, has it become time to cash in?  More and more, we are being sold - advisors, workshops, books, subscriptions, products and services. Doesn't it seem  ironic that this is happening here when in our hearts we all know that consuming less and living more simply may be the best solution we now have to offer our world?

In the new economy, to restore faith in capitalism, there will need to be a great deal more transparency.   Does Peak Prosperity have a business plan? What are the targets and goals for members and income? Could a new business model  be developed here? More and more members are contributing to the dialogue at Peak Prosperity. Could/should we be able to participate on the business side of things as well? 

I couldn't have said it better (No, really, I'm not that good with words and my feelings get wrapped around my legs and I stumble over my thoughts. I really couldn't have said it better.  Thank you ronpoitras)

My first impression within the first 5 seconds was that this seems like Y2K.  Remember year 2000 and the supposed computer glitch that would change our world?  The video content is credible unlike Y2K which obviously wasn't credible.  I'm only referring to the style, graphics, heavily scripted presentation and the infommercial type interruptions with the "But wait ! there's more ;)"  .  I just kept thinking this is a step above Saul Goodman (google it :) ) only with a Three E twist.  In other words, beyond cheesy.  I'm just shaking my head at CM.  The only redeaming aspect IMO are the folks who are still new to The Three E's and the fact that they will still benefit from the free content on this site.  The rest of us who have followed CM and his team, have seen the undeniable evolution of CM and some will still approve but the rest of us (myself included) are wondering what the hell just happened.  

I worked for a humanitarian organiation (non-profit) for 1.5 yrs.  I eventually realized that I was being taken advantage of by the organizations structure and corporate type policies but because I believed in it's fundamentals I stuck with it.  I stayed even at the expense of what was best for my health and my family because this organization is very much needed in our world.  I get the same feeling here at CM.  Escpecially with the folks who comment about how important CM's work is to humanity and how they are willing to over look some of the things that don't sit well with them or that they know are wrong.  I then think to myself  " I used to be that way and in time they too will see that they never should have tolerated what they knew wasn't right.  No matter how much good was being done."

I remember when I posted a comment about how I used to read the enrolled member posts to get a gist of what some of the paid content was. Soon after my comment the CM site started blocking enrolled member posts!!!  I guess the farmer doesn't want the potatoes gleaned from the field, you need to pay like everyone else !!   I eventually became an enrolled member when I could afford to but then I stopped subscribing after Chris put out little content for several months and thanked everyone for their patience as he had been writing his book and traveling with speaking engagements.  I should have asked for a refund but like so many here, I was a supporter in something I believed in and I was so thankful to Chris.

There are people who need this site so I am glad it's here.  I just hope they don't spend money that they can't afford to because they are being sold a product.

I wonder if the day will come that I won't be allowed to post on this site because I respectfully disagree with what I'm seeing here.  It's sad that I would even wonder that.

Good Luck All  

(The harder you work the luckier you get)

RG2

Solipsik's picture
Solipsik
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 10 2011
Posts: 1
The end does not justify the means

While the 3 Es message is the same excellent quality of work I've come to know from Chris and the team, I find that this infomercial is just above a Kevin Trudeau spiel in terms of sensationalism - which is a real shame.

Poet's picture
Poet
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 21 2009
Posts: 1843
Time Is Of The Essense

Chris has reached most of the audience he can reach with The Crash Course video. (Maybe he can get a Chinese translation in, since the Chinese ARE 1/5th of the planet's population, they believe in gold, they don't believe in their government, and they KNOW what an exponential population growth means to them.) He's reached the audience he can reach with The Crash Course book. (Again, maybe he can get some translations out.) He's moved on to speeches and presentations around the country and around the world. Yahoo! Finance interviews are great, but he needs more exposure.

He needs to build that critical mass and time is of the essense. Yes, obviously there's a profit motive as well: his family has to eat, his kids need an education, he's got a staff and they have families to provide for. But the message is what is important and time is running out. More money is needed to obtain more exposure.

I thought the video was very professionally done. If only the Crash Course videos could be updated nicely and professionally like that, so that Chris can get his message out in a more unadulterated fashion, with more details to counter other alternative energy arguments, more details on the environmental problems, more details on the economic (debt) arguments, and especially more details on the things one should be doing now for themselves BEFORE even thinking about investing.

However, Chris did what he could with the resources at hand, and this video was nicely done. Yes, it's an infomercial, yes it's a little overwhelming and fast-paced, and yes there's something to buy. But no one can doubt the truths in the presentation, no one has to buy anything, and if they buy, they have 90 days to return, and if they don't return, they are only out what, $49? I don't see some anonymous benefactors willing to band together to raise $250,000 for an IDEAL free production, and I bet we have a few millionaires in this community.

Overall, I think this was an acceptable venture. Chris hasn't lost his integrity, the 3E message gets put out there, and if they buy, then the unadulterated message - Crash Course book, and especially the so-called "Controversial Unpublished Chapter" - will be out there in people's hands.

Remember folks: The REAL pyramid scheme is our current unsustainable system.

Poet

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Status: Peak Prosperity Co-founder (Offline)
Joined: May 26 2009
Posts: 1860
Poet - FYI

2 FYIs for you based on your comments:

1) A Mandarin-Chinese subtitled version of the Crash Course was produced by volunteers earlier this year. It can be accessed by launching any of YouTube's Crash Course videos, clicking the "CC" button at bottom right of the video player, and selecting the "Chinese (Simplified)" option. We're working on surfacing this and the other subtitled versions more visibly on PP.com.

2) We've also begun work on giving the core Crash Course series a makeover -- with higher production quality & updated data and insights. Those will be rolling out here on the site over the second half of 2012.

cheers,

A

rocketgirl2's picture
rocketgirl2
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 24 2012
Posts: 41
Money Map Press Investing Question

When listening to the investing advice with regard to energy companies (specificly nat gas) and food co. ahead of a national crisis, my first thought was wouldn't these industries become nationalized?  Couldn't energy and food become a government controlled entity over night?  If so, then wouldn't investors be in a tough position?  What would taxes be on investing leading up to this national/global crisis? The investing advice (without the additional material for the low, low price of $49.00) seems like the ole BAU.  Anyone else seeing this?  Honestly curious.

rhare's picture
rhare
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 30 2009
Posts: 1271
Those who contribute least complain the most

rocketgirl2 wrote:

I'm just shaking my head at CM.  The only redeaming aspect IMO are the folks who are still new to The Three E's and the fact that they will still benefit from the free content on this site.  The rest of us who have followed CM and his team, have seen the undeniable evolution of CM and some will still approve but the rest of us (myself included) are wondering what the hell just happened.

What happened is that to keep a website running and to produce content cost money.  While it's free to you I can guarantee Chris has put a ton of money into the website, content, seminiar development, etc.

Are you a paying member for CM.com?  If not then you have no right to complain at all. You are being given a gift, you can either accept it or ignore it, but complaining about it is just plain rude and disrespectful. This is like someone inviting you over to their house for dinner and complaining about the way the food was cooked or the quality.

JAG wrote:

This video has made one thing crystal clear for me....I'm just a fool being marketed to. 

I'm sorry Dr. M, but after watching this infomercial, I can no longer respect your work. I understand that you are actively expanding your business model, but the use of this blatent fear-based marketing has stripped your arguments of any credibility in my eyes, and hopefully, also in the eyes of any thinking individual.

I assuming this means we won't be seeing any further comments from you on this site since clearly it's a waste of your time and you certainly wouldn't want to associate with us non-thinking individuals.

silviatic's picture
silviatic
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 17 2012
Posts: 17
The white hacker dilemma

I used to be part of a group of “white hackers”: people with IT knowledge but high integrity who may use their IT skills to find and expose corruption, abuse and scams.

We had a dilemma that was never solved: if we happened to discover that a huge meteor was heading the Earth, and was scheduled to crash it in say, six months, what would we do? Tell everybody based on the “right to know” so each family/person would make a decision on how they would live their last six months, or whether they would create a bunker and try to survive? Or hide the truth as it may also cause chaos, pain and kill more than what the crash could?

Nobody had an answer. It was a real dilemma.

However, I used this same dilemma to analyse this video strategy: if I have the knowledge that the world as we know will end, and I also know some probable good copying strategies (no solutions, as they aren’t), what would I do? Would I charge people for the “right” to know or would I share all what I know for free? Would I sell my integrity and values and what has been my “brand” and credibility trying to spread the word or would I try to continue using credible, honest and coherent ways to spread that word, even if that means that the word would reach less people?

These are my opinions and my choices, and I may be wrong:

  1. I would charge, but a very small amount of money, only for a portion of what know, and would try that that portion is NOT the most important one. Why? Because if I keep vital information from people who can’t or won’t pay, I am also discriminating about who may and may not survive. I agree here that Chris and his team share here the most vital info. The crash course is free and has been translated to many languages. It is good enough to be shared with family and friends, and should remain so, as people out there are already sceptical of anything that may try to sell them anything.
  2. I would ensure that my values and the principles behind this necessary change in paradigm of our society remain clean and pure. No end justifies here messing with these values. Why? Because can and in fact has already backfired: I tried to talk about all these things with my husband, using serious books (the Crash Course included). It was my husband who found this Money Map video and sent it to me. At the beginning, I was excited to see Chris in it. But couldn’t help to feel horrible after the first 5 or 10 minutes. I was embarrassed and disillusioned. And my husband is the type of person who couldn’t watch that type of video for more than two minutes. I wonder, then, how many serious “followers” Chris may lose with this, and how many “potential” may stay away from this great website because they associate Chris with that horrid video.

I agree on that all make mistakes. From y point of view, this was a huge one. I hope Chris and his team will think about other associations that may help them to spread the word while keeping true to their core values.

What is coming won’t be solved by more “free” packages (hiding the selling of a newsletter nobody needs), and I think all of us who follow this and similar websites know this. What is coming will be better faced if we become more true to ourselves and our values, if we build resiliency and fight to have a better community around us.

I like what Carolyn Baker says in her book “Sacred Demise”: collapse is an initiation and will force each one of us to face our true self. Who are we? Are we “investors”, “doctors”, “lawyers”, “educators”?  Are we the ones who possess more gold or more weapons or the biggest pantry or the better vegetable garden on the block?

No, collapse will show our real face: either we are leaders and have real compassion, and develop the strength to cope with death, illness, misery, homelessness, unemployment, scarcity and still help others to cope as well, or we are cowards an selfish people who hide behind our bunker or fortified gates, grabbing our dry tomatoes and defending our last piece of gold by shooting hungry children.

Collapse will show us and others who we really are.

Chris: I know your motivations were good; however, the result was really bad. Keep your good work and think on the white hacker’s dilemma. Your followers are enough to spread the world. Believe me. Keep them strong.

rhare's picture
rhare
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 30 2009
Posts: 1271
An easy choice...... unless your a progressive..... :-)

silviatic wrote:

Tell everybody based on the “right to know” so each family/person would make a decision on how they would live their last six months, or whether they would create a bunker and try to survive? Or hide the truth as it may also cause chaos, pain and kill more than what the crash could?

That's an easy one - there are only two choices - Tell or don't tell because it may give you a survival advantage.  If you choose the third option, to hide the knowledge because others might panic, then you are simply being arrogant.  You are assuming that all those other "dumber" people can't handle the truth.  You are essentially taking a decision away from them.  Perhaps they will panic or perhaps they will pull together and surprise you.

We see this all the time in politics.  Politicians and bureaucrats believe they are better (smarter, wiser, more worldly, better people, etc) than others and need to protect the lesser citizens.  I personally find that attitude incredibly repugnant.  In our current situation we really need leaders that will step up and tell the world what they need to hear, not what they want to hear or what the politician believes is best.

For me it would be an easy choice.  I would tell everyone because you need community to survive a disaster.

silviatic wrote:

I used to be part of a group of “white hackers”: people with IT knowledge but high integrity who may use their IT skills to find and expose corruption, abuse and scams.

If you are breaking into systems that are not yours, then you are a criminal.  It doesn't matter the reason.  Telling yourself otherwise is just another lie.  Just like taking money involuntarily from others is theft, even if you call it taxes.

Amoragn's picture
Amoragn
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 31 2012
Posts: 2
What about the Banks?

Hi Chris,

I bought your book and am reading it over constantly. Thank you so much for being innovative enough to actually take the time out of your life to do it. 

I am heavily invested into dairy farm land,in New Zealand so am feeling reasonably confident although I am heavily dependent on phosphate reserves.

What I need to know is: What will happen to the banks after the collapse?  Banks in New Zealand are over exposed with loans to the dairy sector. Farm land prices are falling at present, and public commentary says 20% of farmers will have to exit farming due to debt. With this number of farms coming onto the market soon bank securities will be at risk. Value will simply vanish. Domino loans will unravel backwards; banks will collapse. What happens then?

Hladini's picture
Hladini
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 28 2011
Posts: 59
Embracing Factory Farming

I watched the video presentation from Money Map Press and was excited about the Three E's message getting out to a larger audience, but disappointed with the conclusions.  I was disappointed because I believe investors should have integrity.  The film suggested buying stocks in fracking, natural gas companies - even though the film stated we would be seeing water wars in 2015.  Well the fracking, natural gas industry destroys water tables.  So why would an ethical investor invest in a product that destroys water when fresh, clean water availability is at risk? 

Another ominous suggestion in the film was to discourage small farming  and Chris' line in the film that blew me away was "We will have to embrace factory farming."  There is a great documentary on how Cuba survived Peak Oil..... and Cuba DID NOT embrace factory farming.  Just the opposite. Cuba embraced small organic farming and not only survived but thrived.  Food security is a huge issue.  I believe the best way to obtain food security is by dumping the big ag model in favor of small farmers.  It would create many more jobs and improve the quality of food being offered for sale.

So. personally I felt the film used the credentials of these three very impressive, intelligent men to lead people to the wrong conclusions.

I'm still a fan, Chris, I understand the importance of getting the message out, but if the message leads people in the wrong direction..........?

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 5 2008
Posts: 1232
Good heavens - what's all the fuss about?

After skimming these comments, I played the video expecting to see something akin to a used car salesman's pitch. While the style of this video doesn't appeal to me personally, I found no basis for objection. As Chris said, it's just a different style that appeals to some people.

JAG, I'm dumbfounded by your comments, but since you feel that way, I CAN offer you a solution. Simply ante up the $50 - $100k it would take to do video like this in a more tasteful style, and then you can call the shots and make the style decisions yourself. If you're not equipped to pay up, perhaps the option of shutting up would be an appropriate alternative.

Chris, thanks for all your continuing efforts. I look forward to the day that you have enough financial support to do these projects in your own style, but until that day comes, please keep seizing opportunities like this one to spread your message.

Erik

Bankers Slave's picture
Bankers Slave
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 26 2012
Posts: 205
Factory farming over small holdings?

I agree with Hladini on the factory farming argument. It sounded like an endorsement for corporate food control. Maybe it was pitched in a sense for the unawakened who wont be able to support themselves, particularly those in inner cities. 

Im still an admirer of what CM is doing though!

RNcarl's picture
RNcarl
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: May 13 2008
Posts: 354
Do I have to own a cow to drink milk?

Erik T. wrote:

After skimming these comments, I played the video expecting to see something akin to a used car salesman's pitch. While the style of this video doesn't appeal to me personally, I found no basis for objection. As Chris said, it's just a different style that appeals to some people.

JAG, I'm dumbfounded by your comments, but since you feel that way, I CAN offer you a solution. Simply ante up the $50 - $100k it would take to do video like this in a more tasteful style, and then you can call the shots and make the style decisions yourself. If you're not equipped to pay up, perhaps the option of shutting up would be an appropriate alternative.

Chris, thanks for all your continuing efforts. I look forward to the day that you have enough financial support to do these projects in your own style, but until that day comes, please keep seizing opportunities like this one to spread your message.

Erik

Erik,

For someone to give their opinion and in the case of some of the responses here - shock, I do not find the comments that far out of line.

To simply wave the, "pay-up or shut-up" flag is in itself disingenuous. I seriously doubt any published movie reviewer has the money to make their own Hollywood movie, yet they review movies all the same. Of course, their opinion does not sway me that much. I do not base my reaction to a critic's opinion on whether-or-not they have the money to make their own movie. I base my opinion (of the review) on the quality and content of the review. The same applies here. I don't have to build cars to be able to review their attributes.

I read these responses to the Pyramid Scheme Video and take them all with a grain of salt - even yours.

I couldn't finish the video either. It was too "infomercial" for me. I can say that I knew that the video was "selling something" from the very second that I saw it. Some people respond to that sort of thing, others don't.

And, there has been a shift in the flavor and tone of Chris' website since it changed format. I have yet to decide if it is for the better or not.

C.

silviatic's picture
silviatic
Status: Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 17 2012
Posts: 17
On the use of information

To Rhare:

IMHO, for somebody so concerned about having access to the information (for whatever reason/goal), you are acting in a very judgmental way.

One: I never said what my decision in the dilemma was (if any). Live in different countries and through different collapses and you may have a better understanding of the human nature. To share or not to share and how much to share continues to be a dilemma whether you like it or not. Your comment: ” Tell or don't tell because it may give you a survival advantage” is out of context. I would never use information for my “survival advantage and I completely despise those who adopt this approach.  I clearly said that I am against charging people for knowing what they should know in order to survive. While I acknowledge that the holders of the information need to make a living, and may have put a lot of effort to collect and share the info, one needs to take some distance and draw a line: when are we making sure we cover our expenses and when are we making a profit with other people’s needs and fears.

The next sentence: “ If you choose the third option, to hide the knowledge because others might panic, then you are simply being arrogant” shows no further thinking. Have you been in a country where a coup d’état is announced? Or a cut of water or power? Have you seen people’s behaviour? I may not be the best judge, and that’s why this is a dilemma. If it weren’t, anyone may decide to freely share whatever they found about the future. Would I like to know? Yes, for sure. I would also like to make sure nobody kills me or my loved ones because they think I’m in the middle of their survival and have something they need.

In the case of the predicaments we are in as a society, I have opted for sharing the information, as freely as possible, however, people still have the option to believe it or not, to speed up the collapse or to learn to cope with it. To destroy everything around or to start building communities and a new paradigm that ensures this won’t happen again.

The last is the most judgmental of all: ” If you are breaking into systems that are not yours, then you are a criminal.  It doesn't matter the reason.  Telling yourself otherwise is just another lie.” This opinion is based on the main reason we are where we are as a society: the “right” of private property. As we are isolated islands and whatever we create and do is just “ours”, as if we could “own” the land and its resources, and make profits with other people’s needs such as shelter, food, water, safety…

Well, information that affects your survival and that of your loved ones should be free. Keep that kind of information locked is criminal. Protecting somebody who is hoarding weapons and plans to kill innocent people because he/she has the “right” to have “private” information is criminal. Protecting the files of a child abuser is criminal. What’s the difference between the police or a country’s intelligence service breaking into your system, your house, your possessions looking for evidence and the same being done by a community of concerned citizens?  Do you know that when the police or the government agencies do that they may have obscure reasons to silence or incriminate you? Have you lived in a country where you need to use “hackers” techniques to scream out what’s going on in the country so others outside may know and help?

I think we agree in a very fundamental value: the right to be informed. That’s why we are here. And BTW, I was a PeakProsperity paid for service member, but had to make the decision between using $30/month to read more interesting articles, or invest those on learning useful skills and building up my pantry stock. That doesn’t make me less member or less important my opinion on how information that affects our future is being managed.

trwiley's picture
trwiley
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 11 2009
Posts: 78
Profiting off of problems

Although there is some good information presented I have fundamental problems with the mentality and morality presented by these three gentlemen, which is a reflection of the deeper problems of capitalism (and more precisely or entire monetary-based economic model). What they present are not solutions to the coming crisis, but ways to profit off of them. They think in American-centric, survival-of-the-fittest terms, when our challenges are global in nature and require global collaboration.  

Below are some quotes from the end of the presentation, beginning at the 67:27 mark, and my comments in brackets. 
 
Dr. Kent Moors: 
“If you accept the realities of  what’s in front of all of us and plan accordingly you could come out way ahead.” [Ahead of whom? For some to be ahead, that must mean that others are behind. So I guess its just a mad dash to the top of the hill, where there’s not room for everyone, but only those with resources or money or inside knowledge to begin with.]
 
“Even though the days of easy oil have come and gone their are huge opportunities for oil and energy related investments for americans.” [This is profiting off of scarcity. So we shouldn’t invest in alternative renewal energies for the good of our children and grandchildren, but instead only in what’s going to make us money here and now. And he’s thinking only about Americans, what about people in the rest of the world? I guess they are just screwed.] 
 
“We are going to broaden our drilling, we’re going to have more pipelines. And as oil becomes more expensive there will be more windfall possibilities.” [To hell with environmental consequences as long as we can profit.] 
 
“Natural gas is dirt cheap now. Americans should get into natural gas now. You may just find yourself quite wealthy, even as this pyramid scheme collapses.” [Again, thinking about only about Americans when our problems are global and affect everyone everywhere. Again, profiting off of the collapse of civilization, rather than trying to prevent it. And not everyone can buy into natural gas. If everyone did then the prices would go through the roof. So its only for the first comers or those with wealth to begin with, sorry about everyone else.]
 
Chris Martenson: 
“You need to get into food, farmland, water, utilities, plus prescious metals like gold and silver.” [Again, profiting off of all the things that are becoming scarce, rather than addresing the scarcity. I work for a company that has significant water rights, and they can’t wait until it becomes scarce enough so that they can profit]
Keith Fitz-Gerald: 
“We’re about to be struck by a very serious crisis that will lead to tremendous realignment of social, political and economic capital. Its going to negatively impact literally billions of people. But instead of taking a doom and gloom mentality, lets look at this crisis for what it is, the mother of all opportunities. You can not only survive the collapse of the pyramid scheme, you can come out of it wiser and wealthier than ever before.” [No reason for doom and gloom as long as you are one of the lucky ones, but for the remaining billions of people, you’re screwed. How can anyone feel wise and wealthy and non-gloomy when billions are suffering? And how can one not see that when the shit hits the fan to the extent that billions are affected, it affects you’re own security as well.]
 
Although I generally agree with the notion that we are in the midst of a collapsing pyramid, these gentlemen represent the mentality and ethnocentric morality that is largely what created the pyramid in the first place. And as far as fear mongering goes, well it helps the bottom line right.  
 
It is time to move beyond capitalism and money altogether. This is why I am looking for the more positive future as envisioned by Charles Eisenstein’s gift economy and the Zeitgeist Movement’s vision of a world beyond money altogether. It is utopian to think we can go on the way things are. 
rocketgirl2's picture
rocketgirl2
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 24 2012
Posts: 41
rhare wrote:rocketgirl2

rhare wrote:

rocketgirl2 wrote:

I'm just shaking my head at CM.  The only redeaming aspect IMO are the folks who are still new to The Three E's and the fact that they will still benefit from the free content on this site.  The rest of us who have followed CM and his team, have seen the undeniable evolution of CM and some will still approve but the rest of us (myself included) are wondering what the hell just happened.

What happened is that to keep a website running and to produce content cost money.  While it's free to you I can guarantee Chris has put a ton of money into the website, content, seminiar development, etc.

Are you a paying member for CM.com?  If not then you have no right to complain at all. You are being given a gift, you can either accept it or ignore it, but complaining about it is just plain rude and disrespectful. This is like someone inviting you over to their house for dinner and complaining about the way the food was cooked or the quality.

JAG wrote:

This video has made one thing crystal clear for me....I'm just a fool being marketed to. 

I'm sorry Dr. M, but after watching this infomercial, I can no longer respect your work. I understand that you are actively expanding your business model, but the use of this blatent fear-based marketing has stripped your arguments of any credibility in my eyes, and hopefully, also in the eyes of any thinking individual.

I assuming this means we won't be seeing any further comments from you on this site since clearly it's a waste of your time and you certainly wouldn't want to associate with us non-thinking individuals.

To all the +9 and possibly more going forward, shame on you and congratulations, you all look like a bunch of country club snubbed nosed pinkie raised chicken clucking stuffed eared closed eyed self rightious snobs.  Yep, I went there.  Oh yeah, cottonheadedninimuggins too !!

[Moderator's note: This user has been contacted.]

Poet's picture
Poet
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 21 2009
Posts: 1843
Let's Stay Classy

Guys, please continue to be civil. If someone has a concern you don't agree with, let's just hear your reasoned argument against that concern - without the ad hominems or the "GTFO if you don't like it" poopy that can feel threatening or unwelcome.

Atttack words are out of line and unwelcoming in a forum where we need to make people feel safe to come visit and want to share their views. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, and I'm sure being civil is the best way to honor Doc Martenson's own goals for inclusiveness. Thanks.

Poet

rocketgirl2's picture
rocketgirl2
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 24 2012
Posts: 41
Classy???

Poet wrote:

Guys, please continue to be civil. If someone has a concern you don't agree with, let's just hear your reasoned argument against that concern - without the ad hominems or the "GTFO if you don't like it" poopy that can feel threatening or unwelcome.

Atttack words are out of line and unwelcoming in a forum where we need to make people feel safe to come visit and want to share their views. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, and I'm sure being civil is the best way to honor Doc Martenson's own goals for inclusiveness. Thanks.

Poet

Oh yes, because The Pyramid Scheme video was sooo classy. Alright, I take back cottenheadedninimuggins but the rest stands.  

One more thing, the video wasn't about trying a certain "style" that might appeal to a certain type (what type would that be anyway?), it was about trying a new way to market people and remind them once again why they should be affraid.  The Three E's are credible and there's money to be made off of it so step right up because you'll want to be unique before your not.  Very sad.

[Moderator's note: This user has been contacted]

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 4 2009
Posts: 2485
Sheesh.....

A guy goes to LA for a few days for a wedding and to visit friends and has very little internet connectivity (read as Mrs. Dogs has waaaay too much on our collective Social Calendar).

Can anyone succinctly explain to me what the fook this thread is about and why a whole ton of long term posters evidently have their bowels in an uproar? 

The way I see it:

Chris decides to evolve HIS site in an effort to throw the Crash Course message out there even farther and to more people.  Some other dudes help and put it in a slick marketing package with bells, whistles, moving parts and free puppies.  Not all of these appeal to everyone, but they appeal to a lot and a message that needs to be disseminated more widely is.  Some other dudes maybe make a little coin off the effort, but Crash Course runs across the eyeballs and brainballs of a lot of new folks.

Good on ya Chris.......

But if that goober meteorologist from CNN who STILL doesn't understand the difference between radiation and contamination comes wading in with his hand waving and bogus information, I'm not explaining the difference again..........

Poet's picture
Poet
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 21 2009
Posts: 1843
Yeah, Rocketgirl2

Rocketgirl2

Poet

Rector's picture
Rector
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 8 2010
Posts: 346
Funny!

I recently cancelled my country club membership.  So there!

Rector's picture
Rector
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Feb 8 2010
Posts: 346
Forward Comrade!

I agree.  We must move forward together!  You first. . .

trwiley's picture
trwiley
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 11 2009
Posts: 78
Unprecedented opportunities for profit

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments