"What in the world are they Spraying?"

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Re: "What in the world are they Spraying?"

All I can say is that we here in the N. VA area have noticed an increased activity of planes spraying "something" into the atmosphere.  We've found that every 3-4 days at least 6 planes fly over spraying in a horizontal pattern.  I know, I know....CT.  It's not CT when you see it with your own eyes.  And I'm not talking about seeing contrails, I'm seeing it through a recently purchased telescope in which the actual spraying is obvious.  I've put together a "team" of 3 people here to catalog the incidents.  Scares the living Bjesus out of me.

ao's picture
ao

I've been half joking to my wife for the longest time that they must be spraying stupid gas into the atmosphere.  People just seem to be getting dumber, having poorer memories, making more foolish decisions, etc.  I've joked that they're probably spraying something to make people fatter as well (yes, I know all the info about less physical activity, lower micro-nutrient contents in food, xenoestrogens, high fructose corn syrup, etc.).  What's stupid and fat?  Cattle!  So it must be a plot by aliens who've co-opted the government to make us dumb and fat and will soon come to harvest us.  Anyone want to buy my screenplay?;-)

JAG's picture
JAG
Re: "What in the world are they Smoking?"

OK, this video is hilarious. You have a group of people in Hawaii complaining about Sulfur and Aluminum contaminants in the air?

Hmmm, excuse me, are you not living on an active volcano? Ever heard of VOG?

Volcanically influenced iron and aluminum cloud water deposition to Hawaii

Abstract

Fog or cloud water (CW) deposition plays an important role in particle scavenging and the delivery of trace constituents to the Earth's surface. In this study, CW concentrations of total dissolvable iron (Fe) and aluminum (Al) were measured in 60 samples spanning 26 individual CW events throughout 1999 in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the island of Hawaii. Al concentrations ranged from 8 to 10,489 nM, with a median of 344 nM while Fe concentrations ranged from < 1 to 6419 nM with a median of 32 nM. CW deposition fluxes for Fe and Al ranged from 0.15–0.52 mmol Fe m−2 yr−1 and 0.621.35 mmol Al m−2 yr−1, depending on the estimation method used. The large range in concentrations is higher than expected for a relatively pristine ecosystem. It appears that this inconsistency is due to emissions from the currently active nearby volcano, Kilauea. Categorizing CW events into volcanically versus less or non-volcanically impacted events suggests that although volcanically impacted events only accounted for 12% of fog water deposition, Kilauea Volcano was responsible at least 42% of the measured CW Al deposition and 61% of the CW Fe deposition measured for 1999.

Volcanic Air Pollution—A Hazard in Hawai`i

Vog is created when SO2 and other volcanic gases combine and interact chemically in the atmosphere with oxygen, moisture, dust, and sunlight over periods of minutes to days. Vog is a visible haze consisting of gas plus a suspended mixture of tiny liquid and solid particles, called aerosol. The aerosol in vog is composed primarily of sulfuric acid and other sulfate compounds. Small amounts of several toxic metals, including selenium, mercury, arsenic, and iridium, have also been found in the volcanic air pollution coming from Kilauea. Far away from the volcano, such as along the Kona coast on the Island of Hawaii's west side, aerosol particles dominate vog, but near Kilauea SO2 gas is a major component of vog.

To think that the plants in Hawaii are not capable of dealing with air contaminants is just plain ignorance.

Spark up another joint Dude, the world is coming to an end!

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

You guys are sad.  I just watched 15 planes fly over N. Va on what started as a beautiful blue sunny day, and has turned into a hazy, white sky now.  You can believe (or not) what you want, but I'm watching this crap with my own eyes.  It's real.  I know, I know.....contrails.  Well, how does a 2 engine plane leave 4 contrails?  That happened today.  Or, maybe it was the aliens that have taken over my brain and I'm seeing 2x.  F me!  

crazyhorse's picture
crazyhorse

What I find interesting it that the Indiana Department of Environmental Management declared today an "Ozone Action Day" for our area.  Our local fertilizer plant is shut down for the day, but also noticeable is that there is not ONE instance of chemtrails/contrails in the sky today.  Normally they are everywhere on a nice bright sunny day!

M.E.'s picture
M.E.

I noticed the chemtrails this spring for the first time.  PresO came to Boston to check out all the floods - it was a clear, beautiful early spring day - and by 12:30 the deep blue sky was all haze and white fuzzy lines.  Later in the afternoon, he was supposed to head down to RI to see about severing that state off and floating it down to Cuba, and again more fuzzy lines and haze to the south.  Since when do you get hazy blue skies in early spring in New England??  Since that day, I've noticed them twice.  Depressing.

John99's picture
John99

Years ago I used to fly a corporate jet for an oil company, and believe I know the difference between contrails and chemtrails. In the last few years travelling Europe have noticed heavy spraying in the EU zone and was not surprised recently when an activist group in Germany launched an on-line petition to stop the spraying until more testing is done.

Here are a few aircraft pics of interest.

rickets's picture
rickets

For all the conspiracy theorists out there, when promoting or considering if a conspiracy is real you need to think of how many people would need to be involved in the conspiracy, in how many different locations, etc.  Then, you have to look at how many people have come out and told the truth.

For this conspiracy to hold true, think of all the people needed to a) engineer the airplanes to spray like the ones pictured by John 99  b)  All the scientists needed to set up the processes involved and follow up on impacts.  c)  all the pilots needed to fly these airplanes.....etc.

Then, consider how many of those people have come clean and told their story.

Last, consider the science:  spraying at 25k feet - how controllable is that?  What is the upside?  What is the downside.

This conspiracy theory is really.....really fantastic sounding.....and really, really thin on evidence and plausability.

Food for thought.

JAG's picture
JAG
Dimming The Sun

What you guys see as conspiracy, I see as good science.

If you haven't watched the NOVA program Dimming The Sun, its a fascinating watch.

calledoutin08's picture
calledoutin08

It is really sad that all the "smart" educated people on this site want to deny what they see with thier eyes, and evidence presented and backed by Edward G Griffin along with some scientist as well. Just slap that conspiricy theory tag,label, or put down to show your true ignorance. Human nature is really scary, why do so many have to put someone down to build themselves up? Keep spending your time trying to prove your points and give your "humble" opinions while all the real concearned people around here look to inform and educate others. Frown

Broadspectrum's picture
Broadspectrum

Rickets,

Where do you live? Have you not seen chem trail grid patterns being drawn in your blue skies turning them into an ugly whitish sky? The chem trail lines start out way up high in the sky and then the winds disperse them so that they end up looking like clouds. Most people don't notice until someone else points out the fake clouds that appear on what s/b a sunny cloudless day. I have watched this happen, right before my own eyes. Our skies are no longer blue. Do you remember what real blue skies look like? Now, at best they are whitish blue. Children being born today and in the last decade do not know what true blue skies are. And they will probably never know. They will grow up (if they are lucky) thinking this is normal. I still remember. This is not normal. If you can say this is normal then maybe you are an obfuscator of the truth. If not, then tell us all in your best intelligent opinion what the chem trails are and their purpose. This is an issue that I can literally say, OPEN YOU EYES! SEE for yourself. We all must start asking questions.

So many people were upset with malitylon spraying yet most people are taking this lying down. It is making us sick. Maybe you don't know about the aerosol spraying that was going on over Chicago. That program was hidden from the public and involved many participants. There are ways to involve persons without filling them in on the complete picture. Participants are oblivious to their own involvement and culpability…until they find out later on that they were unknowing part of a conspiracy.

http://www.carnicom.com/bio1.htm

Broadspectrum

John99's picture
John99

rickets wrote:

For all the conspiracy theorists out there, when promoting or considering if a conspiracy is real you need to think of how many people would need to be involved in the conspiracy, in how many different locations, etc.  Then, you have to look at how many people have come out and told the truth.

For this conspiracy to hold true, think of all the people needed to a) engineer the airplanes to spray like the ones pictured by John 99  b)  All the scientists needed to set up the processes involved and follow up on impacts.  c)  all the pilots needed to fly these airplanes.....etc.

Then, consider how many of those people have come clean and told their story.

Last, consider the science:  spraying at 25k feet - how controllable is that?  What is the upside?  What is the downside.

This conspiracy theory is really.....really fantastic sounding.....and really, really thin on evidence and plausability.

Food for thought.

Rickets

In Europe they have an interesting website: http://www.flightradar24.com/

This site tracks flights in progress, shows their airport of departure and gives the call signs and other info of all aircraft over Europe.

I visit Switzerland quite often and now am in the habit of when I see an aircraft spraying around the Basel area, I take the bearing and flight path of said aircraft and then locate it on this website.

I have found the most 'spraying' aircraft originate out of Coleman Army Airfield near Mannheim, Germany (http://www.ask.com/wiki/Coleman_Army_Airfield) and either return there or fly on to and land at another NATO base in south of France.

To go to your question, if these spraying operations are being conducted by the military, the better question might be, 'is it possible for military operations to be conducted without our knowledge'?

rickets's picture
rickets

Hi John99,

What do you see in these aircraft that make them "spraying" aircraft?

Thanks

Kevin

ao's picture
ao

LR and others,

Just to clarify, I'm not writing off chemtrails completely as pure CT.  I was using humor because I've found that if I can't have a sense of humor about what's going on, the craziness of it all can, at times, drag me towards an unhealthy psychological state and I just don't want to go there.  The first thing that struck me was the aluminum and the association of aluminum with Alzheimer's type neurological symptoms.  I wasn't joking about some of the issues like poor memory.  I come across very few people nowadays who have excellent memories.  My son has just been named valedictorian of his high school class and it surprises me that his memory isn't better than it is.  And this is from a high school class that collectively scored the highest on standardized tests in the school's history.  I don't know if the chemtrail issue is true or untrue but I wouldn't dismiss it completely out of hand.  Certainly, both the Russians and Chinese have long been involved in many experiments related to altering weather with cloud seeding and we've done the same.  John99's aircraft and spray nozzle pictures could be easily explained by these activities.  Also, from a health standpoint, whoever may be doing it has to live on the same planet as the rest of us and unless we start entertaining theories as to alien takeovers (i.e. different biology with different vulnerability to atmospheric contaminants), they are going to be hurting themselves as much as they are hurting the rest of us.  Logically, it doesn't make sense that whoever is doing this would hurt themselves (but then again, they've already done so with various other forms of environmental contamination, certain pharmaceuticals, GMO foods, etc., so who knows).

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Quote:

Years ago I used to fly a corporate jet for an oil company, and believe I know the difference between contrails and chemtrails. In the last few years travelling Europe have noticed heavy spraying in the EU zone and was not surprised recently when an activist group in Germany launched an on-line petition to stop the spraying until more testing is done.

Here are a few aircraft pics of interest.

Very nice John.  This is a special test adapter on the back of a modified KC-135.  The refueling boom is used to spray water on aircraft to test the effects of icing on prototype aircraft fight characteristics.

Quote:

This is the E-6B TACAMO airborne communications aircraft flown by Navy pilots supporting United States Strategic Command.  It is variant of a Boeing 707-320.  TACAMO streams an antenna out through the pod visible on the tail - you can just make out the drogue - and is used to communicate via VLF with missile submarines.  The wingtips have different Electronic Surveillance Measures (ESM) and Satellite Communications (SATCOM) pods attached to them.  "Normal" 707s dump fuel from fittings on the wingtips.  Since the ESM and SATCOM pods on TACAMO aircraft don't pump fuel too well, the fuel dumps were moved closer to the fuselage.  FWIW, I was stationed at Offutt for 4 years from 1994-1998, 16 missions on TACAMO.  5 deterrent patrols on USS ALEXANDER HAMILTON (SSBN 617 Gold) from 1984-1988 - we routinely exercised our ability to receive comms from TACAMO.  Back then, the VLF antenna was deployed from a modified C-130, but was replaced with the E-6B in the 90s.

Quote:

Really now?  This is a one of a one of a kind airplane owned and operated by the Department of Energy.  These are nothing more than sampling tubes to measure the levels of pollutants from coal and oil burning power plants to support atmospheric research.  Tail number N701BN.  It is a dual prop and isn't capable of sustained flight at 30,000 feet.  It is also the only plane of it's kind so it would be kind of tough for this plane to be responsible for all of the "chemtrailing".

Quote:

This is too easy.  This is the inside of a Boeing 777-200LR Worldliner.  The barrels contain water which was pumped around to shift the center of gravity of the aircraft to test aircraft flight characteristics.  The "HAZMAT Inside" text on the wall was photoshopped.  More info on 777 flight testing can be found here:  http://books.google.com/books?id=iJ2FqbrRqyYC&pg=PA76&dq=inside+boeing:+building+the+777+barrels&as_brr=3&ei=R_IpSr74EISmkATV-7T7Bg#v=onepage&q&f=false 

Quote:

This is another view of the sampling equipment on the DOE plane discussed above.

I added my personal experience with TACAMO for your consideration as an alternative explanation.  Most of the info above, and other pictures can be found here:

http://contrailscience.com/contrail-or-chemtrail/

Please note that I am not taking sides.  Just offering up some more information.  I'll leave it up to you and other readers to process this and make up your own minds.  Is it equipment for sinister application or is it atmospheric sampling and aircraft flight test equipment?

One argument requires a lot of moving parts, one is pretty straight forward.

And as you know, I'm an Occam's Razor guy.

John99's picture
John99

rickets wrote:

Hi John99,

What do you see in these aircraft that make them "spraying" aircraft?

Thanks

Kevin

rickets, it's the trail they leave behind. Contrails are defined as :

"A visible trail of streaks of condensed water vapor or ice crystals sometimes forming in the wake of an aircraft. Also called vapor trail."

The difference between a contrail and a chemtrail is the contrail dispurses, usually in a few minutes, whereas the chemtrail stays in the sky and spreads into a hazy, cloudy sky covering. There is sometimes fallout from the chemtrails, as in cob-web- like filaments.

When not in Europe, I am on my boat and have woken up to find these filaments draping all over the rigging (and I don't have a spider problem :-)

Nichoman's picture
Nichoman

Okay...

Worked in this area.

There continue to be ongoing efforts to improve engine performance using additives and mixes.   Its thermodynamics.   

The updated contrail operational algorithms now used globally was one of past projects managed.   Its as basic as that.

Yes, special interest influence is incredible...but its more about trying to maintain or enhance the status quo (which we should agree to varying degrees is unsustainable). 

Besides that...please review guidelines put forth by CM.   Don't give into ignorance, fear and blame.   

Hope this helps.

Nichoman

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Re: Dimming The Sun

JAG,

Then good science should be admitted to the public.  I don't see anyone from the Dept. of Energy, Agriculture, Military, etc.....admitting that the planes I'm watching are spray some kind of substance into the atmosphere!  Why???  

Rickets,

I don't need to think about the "how many people does it take" trail!  I'm watching it from my car, my deck, my patio, my living room, my children's school yards, etc.....I'm seeing it close up via telescope!  This has nothing to do with THEORY!  It's real life!  Everyone needs to open their eyes and say...."what the hell are those lines in the sky?"  How many people does it take for Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, The Fed, and the Treasury to manipulate the economy into shambles?  Do you see anyone there admitting it?  My God!

quote=JAG]

What you guys see as conspiracy, I see as good science.

If you haven't watched the NOVA program Dimming The Sun, its a fascinating watch.

John99's picture
John99

Thanks Dogs, I appreciate your efforts, and glad to know about these photos (which I called 'interesting'), as none of this equipment was ever aboard the HS125 that I flew.

I stand by my comments, and note there are 1.3 million hits for chemtrails on google and over 300,000 films.

Perhaps the closest MSM has come to acknowledging them is the History Channel documentary on 'Weather warfare', part of which is shown below and chemtrails addressed about 1 minute in.

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

On 15 planes in the morning, then 9 planes this afternoon?  How do 2 engines using "additives" make 4 contrails?  Why do the "additives" make the sky white within 30-40 minutes after being put into the atmosphere?  Why do the "additives" start in the sky as puff/puff/puff then become solid?  Why does it start and stop with the plane still in sight?  Why the hell would any gov't allow "additives" to be used that turn the sky white?  

I'm done with this thread.  People will believe as they want.  As has been stated already on this thread, there are a lot of smart people on this site that have closed their minds to certain subjects, and no matter how much evidence is brought forth, will never choose wake up.

Nichoman wrote:

Okay...

Worked in this area.

There continue to be ongoing efforts to improve engine performance using additives and mixes.   Its thermodynamics.   

The updated contrail operational algorithms now used globally was one of past projects managed.   Its as basic as that.

Yes, special interest influence is incredible...but its more about trying to maintain or enhance the status quo (which we should agree to varying degrees is unsustainable). 

Besides that...please review guidelines put forth by CM.   Don't give into ignorance, fear and blame.   

Hope this helps.

Nichoman

rickets's picture
rickets

JAG, Dogs in a Pile - AWESOME posts....real evidence.  

Calledoutin08.....dont get angry - we members like to find the truth.  When there are theories batted around here you better be able to back em or you will be called out on them.  If we all argue back and forth its likely at least one person learns from it.  Perhaps that will be me learning something new regarding military spray operations...or, perhaps it will be you learning that a previous perception had bad data supporting it like the pictures John99 posted a while ago that Dogs just dismantled in quite convincing fashion.

"Smart educated" people have their eyes wide open, and ears....and then take the time to see if their eyes are tricking them or not.  I think the evidence JAG and Dogs just presented is pretty convincing evidence that this has some serious holes in it.  Further, the science behind why and how contrails can look the way they do silences the ground level observations that these are "different."  The idea that blue skies are more rare can certainly be attributed to increases in pollution and an exponential spike in aircraft traffic.

Given the complexity and scale of this conspiracy, as well as the scientific reasons why contrails can look different and why our skies look different than 20 years ago put the burden of proof on those promoting the theory.

nickbert's picture
nickbert

I live in Palmer Alaska that is a little less than an hour's drive from Anchorage and two large military bases, and do work in the much more rural Delta Junction area in Alaska which is side by side with Fort Greely, another military base that sees air traffic.  Anchorage is a major air hub and Delta Junction sees military aircraft on a semi-frequent basis from Eielson AFB near Faribanks, yet for all that air traffic I've never seen anything other than standard contrails.  And when skies are clear there is no shortage of pure blue sky in either Palmer or Delta Junction.  In fact right now, the sky is a brilliant blue with just some lingering wispy clouds hugging the mountains to the south. 

Now I'm not discrediting anyone's observations, I'm only saying that one can't just assume that everyone else is seeing the same things and must have their head in the sand when they question the observations or conclusions drawn from them.  I'm open to hearing explanations but I'm not taking anything at face value, especially when I haven't seen the phenomenon in question.

- Nick

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

LogansRun wrote:

I'm done with this thread.  People will believe as they want.  As has been stated already on this thread, there are a lot of smart people on this site that have closed their minds to certain subjects, and no matter how much evidence is brought forth, will never choose wake up.

Tod -

What I don't get is why you don't see that your post is a knife that cuts both directions and is applicable to you as well.

John99's picture
John99

rickets wrote:

JAG, Dogs in a Pile - AWESOME posts....real evidence.  

Calledoutin08.....dont get angry - we members like to find the truth.  When there are theories batted around here you better be able to back em or you will be called out on them.  If we all argue back and forth its likely at least one person learns from it.  Perhaps that will be me learning something new regarding military spray operations...or, perhaps it will be you learning that a previous perception had bad data supporting it like the pictures John99 posted a while ago that Dogs just dismantled in quite convincing fashion.

"Smart educated" people have their eyes wide open, and ears....and then take the time to see if their eyes are tricking them or not.  I think the evidence JAG and Dogs just presented is pretty convincing evidence that this has some serious holes in it.  Further, the science behind why and how contrails can look the way they do silences the ground level observations that these are "different."  The idea that blue skies are more rare can certainly be attributed to increases in pollution and an exponential spike in aircraft traffic.

Given the complexity and scale of this conspiracy, as well as the scientific reasons why contrails can look different and why our skies look different than 20 years ago put the burden of proof on those promoting the theory.

This is why I enjoy this site! We have some great minds and interesting discussions. I agree, rickets, Dogs and Jag, the burden of proof is upon us (the believers) and is why I made a financial donation to the making of the documentary, 'What in the World are they Spraying' - I really want to know.

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

Com on guys, you all know that the US govt would never do something that could prove harmful to the citizens of this country.

Nevada Nuclear Test Site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_Test_Site

Project MKULTRA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKULTRA

John99's picture
John99

Ultimately, I think this is an issue everyone can decide for themselves fairly easily. Look up! Take notice of the skies, of aircraft flying overhead and whether they are laying contrails or chemtrails.

M.E.'s picture
M.E.

John99 wrote:

Ultimately, I think this is an issue everyone can decide for themselves fairly easily. Look up! Take notice of the skies, of aircraft flying overhead and whether they are laying contrails or chemtrails.

Exactly!  Until you see the patterns in the sky for yourself, it's hard to add this to the worry list because of the lack of concrete data.  For now, we can only rely on our own direct observations, although, unlike some of the other things discussed here, my imagination is not that taxed when thinking that this could be happening in the name of "security".  If there is an explanation for the gridlines I've seen, I would be greatly relieved to hear it. 

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

Years ago, the infamous Art Bell Program did a couple of shows on chemtrails. For those of you not familiar with Art Bell, he ran a radio program that was on in the middle ofthe night and was as accurate in his "reporting" as the National Enquirer. that is to say, most of his "news" was bunk, but once in a while he hit paydirt with stuff the mainstream media would not touch. At the time I was working a lot of graveyard shifts and I would sometimes listen to his show while I worked. Hey, it helped keep me awake.

Art Bell did a couple of shows on chemtrails. The next day I was interested enough to check out some links, which--by the way--seemed to point to it probably being a way to protect us from biological warefare. The links showed satellite  photos of similar crisscrossing patterns over our troops during the first gulf war. Within three days all the links had dissapeared from the web. There were not even Google archives.

And within a month, in what may or may not have been a related move, over-the-counter asthma inhalers were suddenly by prescription only. No credible reason was ever given for that, but it did cross my mind that it would make tracking any chemtrail "side effects" that much easier.

Of all the suggested reasons for chemtrails, this one makes the most sense to me. I suppose it might be hard to be open about "protecting" us this way, for some elderly and fragile people would no doubt he harmed, but the government would feel they did the right thing if the bulk of the populace was protected. It solves so many  questions. Otherwise how could we get all the military people involved to keep quiet? If they are spraying something that is supposed to protect the general populace from things like biological warfare in a time of war I can well imagine such silence and it being carried over from democrat to republican to democrat administration. I can even see congress knowing all about it and signing off on secrecy provisions that--for reasons of national securlity--none of this becomes public for oh, say, fifty years. NATO allies might even request such protections, which explanis the CTs in Europe. When working in NYC for ten years I even noticed that when a president--of either party--was about to visit the city the skies got a particularly thorough grid-spraying of whatever it is.

Am I sure about any of all this? No, of course not. All we can do is stay as healthy as we can, boost our immune systems, and hope for the best. But I'm not blind, I work outdoors so I've seen them more than most, and my beliefs about "chemtrails" certainly help me sleep at night.

johnbryson's picture
johnbryson

Here's an interesting website linked to this subject: www.geoengineeringwatch.org

I have also seen this spraying in Belgium, France, Spain, Czech, Brazil, and Canada, and I am sure it is in other places as well as the US. A clear day often starts out with a few trails, which by the afternoon becomes completely hazy. A neighbor of mine who works for Eurocontrol - the European air traffic control agency - says that it is cloud seeding in an effort reflect sunlight back into space and reduce global warming.

Whether the spraying is able to protect the population from bio-terrorism, and or is able to descramble radar the secondary effects on the population, crops, wildlife etc, are not being considered or acknowledged. It seems all the more concerning that global warming is not being questioned and that this spraying has continued, especially considering the hacked emails from December 2009, exposing the falsification of climate data at the University of East Anglia.

Lack of open discussion on this subject - within congresses and parliamentes - is the recipe for error.

JB

John99's picture
John99

Excellent comments and JB thanks so much for the website.

From www.geoengineeringwatch.org

United Nations science body calls for halt on climate-hacking experiments

United Nations science body calls for halt on climate-hacking  experiments

Geoengineering moratorium proposal will go to UN Biodiversity Convention

Nairobi, Kenya – A formal recommendation for a moratorium on all climate geoengineering activities is being sent to the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) for consideration by its 193 member governments when the CBD gathers in Nagoya Japan this October.

Governments attending the Nairobi meeting of the scientific subcommittee of the UN Convention (SBSTTA 14) agreed late last week to forward the groundbreaking recommendation after a high degree of consensus was reached. In a related move, the scientific subcommittee also reviewed and supported the ongoing global moratorium on one geoengineering technique, ocean fertilization, adopted by the Biodiversity Convention in Bonn in 2008.

The historic recommendation from SBSTTA 14 is the first time a UN body has addressed geoengineering governance since the adoption of the Environmental Modification Treaty in the 1970s. SBSTTA requests that “no climate-related geo-engineering activities take place until there is an adequate scientific basis on which to justify such activities and appropriate consideration of the associated risks for the environment and biodiversity and associated social, economic and cultural impacts”. (1) The moratorium proposal received near-unanimous support with strong statements from countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America.  However, the recommendation will be forwarded to COP 10 (Conference of the Parties) of the CBD in October in “square brackets” signalling that the consensus is not absolute. Earlier in the week it seemed there was unanimous agreement on the text after some delegations consulted with their capitals.  But on the final day Canada apologetically announced that it could not support the text and asked that it be placed in brackets for consideration in Nagoya. Decisions in the CBD are customarily consensus-based.

“The motion on geoengineering arose as part of the agenda on climate change and biodiversity,” Silvia Ribeiro of ETC Group (an international civil society organization) reports from Nairobi. “Canada is the bête noire of climate change negotiations and nobody was surprised to see it stand out as the main objector to this proposal. The delegation itself was embarrassed.”

“Geoengineering” refers to any large-scale human-made effort to intentionally adjust major planetary systems to climate change. It includes proposals to pump sulphates into the stratosphere to block sunlight or blow ocean salt spray into clouds to increase their reflectivity. Last week it emerged that at least one team of engineers and scientists, the Silver Lining Project of San Francisco, is looking to run a 10,000 square kilometre geoengineering test on cloud whitening.(2)   ETC Group’s request to Silver Lining for clarification on the experiment’s details has not yet been answered.

Geoengineering also includes transforming major tracts of land or sea in order to sequester excess greenhouse gases. Confronted with imminent commercial ventures, the 2008 meeting of the Biodiversity Convention adopted what the German environment minister  (who chaired the CBD) called a “de facto moratorium” on ocean fertilization. Shortly after its adoption, however, another German ministry violated the moratorium with an ocean fertilization experiment in the Southern Ocean. The move caused a rift within the German cabinet, debate in the Bundestag, an international outcry and led last week to a strong reaffirmation of the moratorium by government delegates in Nairobi.

“The moratorium on ocean fertilization is stronger than ever,” says Neth Dano of ETC Group, also in Nairobi. “But we expect its promoters to strike back.  Big industry and big science want to press ahead with geoengineering either as a ‘plan B’, or as a free pass to avoid reducing emissions. It’s the big lie that lets them pretend that we can all carry on drilling and driving – business as usual!”

“The geoengineers are going to be furious with this moratorium,” Silvia Ribeiro acknowledges. “The last thing they want is for the United Nations to step in. They argue that a handful of governments and corporations should be free to move ahead on geoengineering experimentation without independent, international oversight. (3) In March, geoengineers held a by invitation-only conference in Asilomar, California to discuss a ‘voluntary code of conduct’ that would let them self-regulate their experiments. (4) Governments here in Nairobi have just told them they have no right to control the planet’s thermostat.”

Recognising that geoengineers will be mounting a major lobbying offensive to prevent the moratorium from being firmly established in Nagoya later this year, ETC Group has joined with over 100 other civil society organisations to press the case for a halt to geoengineering experiments. The Hands Off Mother Earth (HOME) campaign is a global grassroots campaign of individuals and organisations visible athttp://www.handsoffmotherearth.org. Its supporters include many grassroots organisations, international networks of farmers and indigenous peoples as well as renowned environmentalists and social justice campaigners such as Vandana Shiva, Bill McKibben, David Suzuki and Naomi Klein. (5)

“How dare they claim the right to block the sun? To colour the clouds? To change the chemistry of the ocean?” exclaims Canadian author Naomi Klein who is backing the HOME campaign. “Look at the oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico. If we learn one lesson from this disaster, let it be that we cannot control the effects of our technology, nor is our technology capable of fixing the Earth-disruptions that we unleash. It’s time for some collective humility in the face of awesome natural forces, not more eco-hubris.”

http://www.handsoffmotherearth.org/2010/05/united-nations-science-body-calls-for-halt-on-climate-hacking-experiments/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments