What books/articles/resources do you feel best support or supplement the Crash Course?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
What books/articles/resources do you feel best support or supplement the Crash Course?

I haven't posted for awhile, so I figure I'd better introduce myself again.  I help Chris out with all sorts of behind-the-scenes things here at PeakProsperity.com.  We are constantly striving to make this site, the Crash Course, and our other offerings better and better.

So with that in mind, are there any titles missing from our Essential Books and Essential Articles pages? What books, articles, and other resources do you feel are must-reads for people who are interested in Chris' messages?  What materials do you feel would be most helpful for someone who has just watched the Crash Course for the first time?

It would be helpful if you could tell us specifically why you feel a book or article is relevant or important enough to be considered "essential."  Please post your recommendations here so that everyone can have a look.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, and I'm guessing you'll have ideas that we haven't thought of or come across yet.  Thanks!

cat233's picture
cat233
Re: What books/articles/resources do you feel best support ...

Amanda, I know you are much more than an "office girl."... Thank you for all that you do for all of us!

Cat

How to get out of debt or keep you from ever getting into debt. 

The Richest Man in Babylon

George S. Clason

From The
Publisher:

This
book holds the secrets to acquiring money, keeping money, and making money earn
more money.

Millions of readers have become familiar with George S. Clason's famous
"Babylonian parables" through the distribution of these success secrets of
the ancients
by banks, insurance companies, investment houses and employers.
Acclaimed as the greatest of all inspirational works on the subject of thrift
and financial planning, these fascinating and informative stories have become a
modern classic in their field.

In language as simple as that of the Bible, this book presents a sure path to
prosperity and happiness. It offers an understanding of—and a solution to—your
personal financial problems which will guide you successfully through a
lifetime. The Richest Man in Babylon is a book you will want to read
yourself, recommend to friends, and give to young people just starting out in
life.

djhester1940's picture
djhester1940

Hi Amanda,

Here are a couple of recommendations I have for the book list:

Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas Friedman.

The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson.

By the way Mr. Ferguson presented a film on PBS a couple of nights ago which I also strongly recommend.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ascentofmoney/featured/watch-full-program-the-as...

Thanks for all you do for the website.

Regards,

Don

gtazman's picture
gtazman

Amanda,

The first book that jumps off my mind is The Long Emergency: Surviving the End of Oil, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophes of the Twenty-First Century by James Howard Kunstler.

Gary

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Reinventing Collapse by Dmitri Orlov.

If that doesn't keep you awake, nothing will.

SG

StephenLark's picture
StephenLark

Dmitri Orlov's The Five Stages of Collapse is an excellent article, as is his presentation Closing the 'Collapse Gap': the USSR was better prepared for collapse than the US.

Also Thomas Homer-Dixon covers the same territory as the Crash Course with an international focus in his well-researched 2006 book The Upside of Down: Catastrophe, Creativity and the Renewal of Civilization:

Quote:

Five tectonic stresses are accumulating deep beneath the surface of our societies. They are population stress arising from differences in the population growth rates between rich and poor societies, and from the spiraling growth of megacities in poor countries; energy stress - above all from the increasing scarcity of conventional oil; environmental stress - from worsening damage to our land, water, forests, and fisheries; climate stress from changes in the makeup of our atmosphere; and, finally, economic stress resulting from instabilities in the global economic system and ever-widening income gaps between rich and poor people.

Source: The Upside of Down: Catastrophe, Creativity and the Renewal of Civilization p.11

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Yes,

The "Collapse Gap" was also very well presented. Made me step back and look at our culture in a way I hadn't.

SG

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments