What Are Your Weekend Plans?

121 posts / 0 new
Last post
Poet's picture
Poet
Garden Prep Work

Here in Southern California, it's starting to get warm again. Not that it was ever really cold, three tomato plants we planted in September are still producing small fruits. We're renewing our community garden plot space again in March.

So we went to Home Depot and got some steer manure, compost, soil amendments, wire fencing and posts, weed cloth and mulch. Put down some of the bags of soil and manure/compost, weed cloth and mulch today. Will have to work on fencing next weekend.

Gonna start some seedlings in trays this week on our back patio.

Glad to hear you guys are working on secret projects for CM! :-)

Poet

Nate's picture
Nate
Getting warm in Central

Getting warm in Central California, too.  Planted potatoes and harvested cabbage, broccoli, lots of lettuce, and onions.  My garden (about 25 ft X 75 ft) is full and has no remaining space for anything else.  Picking oranges from our orchard now.

Real downer here - the inlaws (1 mile down the road) had their truck stolen Thanksgiving weekend.  Now their shop tools, air compressor, and welder are missing.    This has really rattled me.    I hate guns, but this event is the final straw.

rocketgirl2's picture
rocketgirl2
Buy some more organic canned

Buy some more organic canned food (costco) and play more tennis (keeping in shape) and watch the rest of season four of Breaking Bad (the writing and acting are genius but I'm not recommending it since it is over the top violent, fair warning) and read the rest of The Speed Of Trust (I consider trust as a critical element in a peak Three E's enviroment and this book is a must read IMO) and...get ready for medical classes next month (also a good idea for our evolving world). I'm not a gardener so none of that and I don't have any investments in gold so none of that either.  I'm pretty sure that medical knowledge and experienced care will be worth some gold in the future so I'll hedge my bet on that.  

Looking forward to reading everyone's plans.   This is an interesting thread.

jneo's picture
jneo
Having a few drinks tonight

Having a few drinks tonight (friday) to unwind from a week of work and the news. 

Saturday, Helping mom move stuff out of her house because she FINALLY sold her house after 2 almost 3 yrs on the market.  Probably squeeze in a run or workout maybe both.

Sunday, is movie time, read some headlines then some RandR.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Last leg of trip.

Prop up my youngest son at Uni and travel back to work on the bus. (Last leg of the Cold Fusion conference in Daejeon)

Read through the lectures again and put up another posting.

Oliveoilguy's picture
Oliveoilguy
Saturday Financial Podcasts

I always look forward to Saturday mornings when the weekly podcasts are aired. KingWorldNews has a Weekly Metals Wraps, Jim Puplava sometimes has some interviews worth catching, and Goldseek Radio has a good 1 hour show.

Puplava has his better content now on a pay for it basis from I-tunes. Good interview with David Walker this week.  

thc0655's picture
thc0655
Some community building

1.  Welcome to the site and the conversation mackswife35 and Katebois!

2.  Even though I'm pessimistic about community building here in the big city, this evening I've contacted all my neighbors re: a burglary and bicycle theft this month in which the perpetrators climbed up into our back yards from the adjacent railroad tracks to gain access to the backs of our houses.  I'm trying to draw them out to work on a mutual need (making it harder to climb up and victimize us) and hoping more will develop from that.  It's amazing how little we interact even though all our houses are attached to each other.

3.  This evening we're going to watch a movie titled "Contagion" about some future worldwide disease outbreak.  My sister-in-law who has been hard to get tuned in to what's going on and the need to prepare, saw the movie with her family and called us asking about water storage!  So we're going to watch the movie this evening to help further the conversation.  Geez, if a movie had that effect, she'd probably have a heart attack if she watched The Crash Course.  (Maybe she knows that and that's why she hasn't.)

4.  Had a shipment of long term food supplies come in this week so I'm going to have to label and catalog it, then find a place to store it in the tiny basement.  I sure am looking forward to retirement in about 8 years and we can return to gardening.  Here, our only food resilience is in long term storage.   I'm jealous of all of you with room to garden and raise critters!

5.  I've been watching the action in gold and silver, but since I just made a purchase when gold was about $1574 a short while ago, I'm content to watch and start saving for the next purchase (hopefully there will be another golden opportunity when stocks nosedive, possibly this fall).  I think the people at the bank think there's something wrong with me as I always come in to make cash withdrawals to keep from having any significant checking balance (closed my savings acct 2 years ago), and then I suddenly appear from time to time to make a cash deposit and wire funds to a precious metals dealer.  I keep waiting for them to ask, but they never do!  :)

treebeard's picture
treebeard
Need to buy a chest freezer

Were picking tomatoes and making sauce to freeze for the winter here in new england.  Need to plant the garlic pretty soon.  Some cold weather crops that we planted two to three weeks ago are coming up. Need to buy a chest freezer for the basement, regular refrigerator freezer is full.

Need to get the hoop house up and get the cold frames built, starting winter growing season soon.  I'm kicking myself, meant by silver down at 26, now it's nearly at 31!  I guess I still better jump in now, better late than never.

RJE's picture
RJE
I am going to eat raw lamb

I am going to eat raw lamb smothered in olive oil (Syrian dish), onions (raw), and white natural  yogurt, and Peta bread. This will be what I will eat morning, noon and night including snacks Sat and Sun. Then just chill with my Lady. I expect that no carbon's will be burnt.

Now do I get extra credits with regards to the 3 E's?...1. Environment: I will do nothing therefore have no impact.

2. Energy: I will burn no fossil carbons. 3. Economy: I will spend no cash as my son's are buying this food for me. So great for my economy. My son's fossil carbon's are planned for as we will celebrate my Lady's birthday so it wasn't frivolous. Her food will be provided also. My Rottweiler pooch will share in my meals, and whatever hits the floor around my grandsons chairs. At 150 plus pounds this big ole dog obviously makes a living around the kids. That should be extra credit too!... Clarity:I have trained my dogs since I was very young as my grandfather did this. My Rotty is the best of all dogs, extremely smart, well cared for, and loved beyond belief. He is also a Herder and herder's literally will move you as far away from their charges and to their comfort level. All the while being quite happy about it. This dog has basically no pain sensors and children under their care need never fear any living soul. Please view my pooch in my family's picture shown above. 

Have a great weekend.

Go Tigers

BOB

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
this weekend...

Drying some kale in the dehydrator which I will crush and package for "green super-food supplements" for my smoothies and cooking this winter; planting more seeds and a few bedding plants for my winter crops while the going is still good for germination; hitting a few local farmers markets to buy extra stuff for the freezer/deydrator, and support the locals at the same time; talking to them and picking up any tips I can on organic and biointensive gardening as I don't have a lot of space; relaxing with a good book and the feeling that my preparations give me confidence going forward! :)

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
your new coop

Sweet! Would fit perfectly in my little yard! :)

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
this weekend...

Today I was checking the virginia peanuts (not ready yet), pruning the mulberry, training the scuppernogs on their trellis, and rearranging attic storage of things like pillows and extra begging for visitors. Tomorrow I will be making grape jam, weeding the strawberries, picking pears, and experimenting with making things like fry bread, homemade matzohs, and flatbreads. Gotta use up that home-ground flour!

Hubby will be working on firewood--stacking and cutting--and son will repair the clothesline. We will all be picking more grapes!

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
Movie night last night

Went to see 2016 movie last night, left sick to my stomach and filled with greater resolve to amp up our preps. The author suggests and make a great argument that our country is not only near a fiscal cliff, it's being led off the cliff by the man in charge of it.

Sooo Saturday will be picking the abundance of tomato and zuch and peppers and canning/freezing.

Evaluating our woodpiles and deciding if more is a good idea.

Counting pms and cash and trying to decide which of the two makes more sense to have?

Or more long term food storage?

Sunday church.

VeganD's picture
VeganD
This weekend: 1. sort through

This weekend:

1. sort through my CSA box and freeze what I cannot eat and eat what I cannot freeze

2. tend to my chili pepper and tomato terrace garden (have shared much with my neighbors which has been a sweet and meaningful bonding experience, especially for apartment dwellers)

3. make home processed flour, soymilk, soy villi and nettle infusion

4. look at areas to relocate to on the web (my area is too expensive for me to buy farmland, even a quarter acre)-that is a very long term plan

5. try to be less annoying and more helpful to those around me, still trying to build my local community

be well

ScubaRoo's picture
ScubaRoo
MTB :-)

Mountain Biking in the awesomely beautiful Scottish Highlands, dining on scallops and locally shot Venison, handpicked raspberries and blaeberries, drinking french vintage wines, Scottish ales and sippng classic single malts with an old schoolmate.

Life is good, more so when we appreciate how properous we are to have valued friendships and enjoy what's on our doorstep.

All the best from a slightly boozy/merry ScubaRoo :)

Nate's picture
Nate
weekend

Friday

Harvest dry beans.  Have been evaluating drought tolerant beans the past 3 years.  Tepary (Phaseolus acutiflolius) is the current winner - they produce decent crops with a single irrigation. 

Saturday

Planted broccoli and cabbage.  Prepped soil for onions tomorrow.  Due to heavy organics loading I needed to raise the pH with lime (ran out of fireplace ash last month).

Checked into home security system with my wife.

Listened to FSO - global warming segment.

Church

Sunday

Plant onions.  Finish reading The Fourth Turning (I hope).  BBQ Sunday evening. 

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Tae uisge beatha....

ScubaRoo wrote:
Mountain Biking in the awesomely beautiful Scottish Highlands, dining on scallops and locally shot Venison, handpicked raspberries and blaeberries, drinking french vintage wines, Scottish ales and sippng classic single malts with an old schoolmate. Life is good, more so when we appreciate how properous we are to have valued friendships and enjoy what's on our doorstep. All the best from a slightly boozy/merry ScubaRoo :)

What, no fish and chips wrapped in a Page 3 girl?  And why on earth would you ruin a Scottish ale and a single malt with French wine?  surprise

On a more serious note....I recently had the pleasure of cracking open a French "Whisky du Breton" - Armorik.  Barley, dried over peat, mashed and distilled just like scotch whisky except in distilled in Brittany so you can't call it "scotch".

It was fantastic.....sounds like your weekend was too.  cool

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor
Weekend

Hi  Dogs,

Haven't been here in many a moon but logged in and saw your name. hope all is well with family. today brought home lobster pizza with garlic cream, corn, bacon, accompanied by Hitachino Nest White Ale. better fare than usual. Dessert is Adult Chocolate Milk, actual purchase but suspiciously easily made by adding vodka to chocolate milk.

Cheers.

CS

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Planted my last fruit tree,

Planted my last fruit tree, for now, this weekend. I now have 3 pears, 2 peaches and 2 apples, as well as 4 raspberry, 3 blueberry, and 2 Goji berry bushes.

Made refridgerator salsa for the 1st time over the weekend. With a 3-day weekend next weekend, will have time to can salsa.

Poet's picture
Poet
+1 For The Gogi Berry Bushes

+1 for the goji berry bushes, Joe!

Poet

joemanc wrote:

Planted my last fruit tree, for now, this weekend. I now have 3 pears, 2 peaches and 2 apples, as well as 4 raspberry, 3 blueberry, and 2 Goji berry bushes.

Made refridgerator salsa for the 1st time over the weekend. With a 3-day weekend next weekend, will have time to can salsa.

Doug's picture
Doug
woodstove

Going to pick up a woodstove for my greenhouse.

Doug

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Transplanting a dwarf apricot

Transplanting a dwarf apricot tree to where the dead plum tree is going to used to have been.  laugh

Thinning out the square foot beds and getting ready for fall planting. 

Making some white habanero-peach salsa, possibly some ghost pepper-peach salsa.

Watching the Navy-Notre Dame football game Saturday morning, playing guitar at Mass Saturday night (will try to sneak in some noodling of a couple of Grateful Dead tunes)

Celebrating the end of tourist season with our annual "Take Back the Beach" party on Monday.

Wendy S. Delmater
this weekend...

We're bringing home more firewood, doing more fall plantings (late peas and turnips), picking and processing pears.

A local church has a pear tree in the parking lot and we can take all we want. The pears make a sauce like apple sauce, sliced pears, pear halves, and pear butter. In fact, those pears will keep us busy all week. We will never get them all: the tree is carpeted with fruit.

VeganD's picture
VeganD
weekend plans

I grew up with fruit trees, I took it for granted, fresh pears apples and cherries every summer. Awesome those fruit trees.  What a bounty.

This weekend I am continuing my search for a new home.  I am adjusting my worklife so that I can avoid burnout, in anticipation of having to work much longer than I thought I would need to-kind of pacing myself for the long haul. Making low sodium seitan from my wheat gluten stores and buying more soybeans for intermediate storage. Test out my emergency  heaters  so I can be sure I know how to work these things or give them away if I cannot. 

Nate's picture
Nate
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Watching the Navy-Notre Dame football game Saturday morning, playing guitar at Mass Saturday night (will try to sneak in some noodling of a couple of Grateful Dead tunes)

Dogs,

Would love to hear you playing guitar.  Anything from American Beauty works. You tube!

Nate

Wendy S. Delmater
weekend plans

Last week we transplanted two blueberry bushes and planted kale, Swiss chard and carrots - and did a lot of weeding. We topped off some raised beds with new soil. I dried a lot of basil, processed more chunky pear sauce with ginger, and candied some chestnuts: basically, you can the nuts in heavy syrup and they keep a long, long time. I also did an inventory on our pantry and made sure its contents were rotated and the offerings were balanced. Tonight we will finish processing the rest of the pears.

This weekend I want to harvest the peanuts and plant some climbing spinach. After that the plan is to finish two engineering projects and get my magazine out the door before we go on vacation next wekend. Believe me, we are nervous about traveling when things are unraveling but we will keep checking in here at at Zero Hedge.

jneo's picture
jneo
Apparently this is what the

Apparently this is what the world is doing....may as well join in.

Gangnum style

!

This is the most viewed video on youtube.  hmmm it's kinda catchy 

Wendy S. Delmater
this weekend...Sequester edition

Monday is the official enactment of the USA Federal govt "sequester" and honestly, if we are whining about a 2.8% Federal spending cut when we are exponentially spending more and more and paying for it with thin-air money…we're doomed. So we I might as well prep some this weekend.

I made sure our gas tank was filled. Yesterday we bought a magnesium firestarter block ($2.99 at Harbor Freight Tools) in case matches are no longer available. Yesterday I planted things in my seed starter dome flats, and today I will plant the potatoes AND peas in the bed along our front fence. Tomorrow I will try making oatmeal with cracked whole oats from our stores. Also this weekend we want to meet and make friends with (precusor to an exchange with) the neighbors with the goats and the neighbors with the apiary. We may hitch up the trailer and go get more firewood, too.

Excuse me while I go use up more of our home canned food before the new canning season. Nearby Florida strawberries are coming in and I may want to make preserves. smiley

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Transplants and goat shelters

This weekend will be full of transplanting seed starts to bigger pots, double digging a new salad bed, and extending the goat shelter to accommodate the new babies that should be arriving in a few weeks.  Will also be looking to setup some trash cans and buckets for some impromptu rainwater harvesting for the coming storm on Sun/Mon.  Will then distribute that water to the garden over a few days to avoid mosquitos and other fun things growing.  Hope to get a new water catchment system in place in the couple months.  Lots to do - always wear a smile while doing it. 

Doug's picture
Doug
Farther north

We just acquired seed starting equipment this weekend.  Had a meeting of our resilience group focused mostly on seed starting and gardening generally. 

Attended a repeal the "safe law" rally in Albany Thursday.  So far 35 counties have voted for resolutions to repeal the "safe law" out of 62 total.  Of course, they have no legal effect and downstate reps will do what they want.  There is a lot of anger upstate.

The big chore this weekend is to finish the tile repair in the shower.  I hate that job.

Doug

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments