Undecided Students

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
blindedsun's picture
blindedsun
Undecided Students

Hello everyone,

New user, loved "The Crash Course," back when Dr. Martenson was posting his last video for it.  Have showed it to everyone willing to listen. As of now I have a very stressful problem.  What to go to school for?  Right now I'm at a good technical school, will most likely be getting my Technical Diploma in Power Engineering and can take a test to become a boiler operator.  They offer plenty of "green" courses for certificates in: Sustainable Operations, Energy Engineering Technology, LEED, Energy Auditor, Renwable energy etc... but I just don't know if the time's right for these thing's.  I was considering an associates degree in electrical technology, OR electrical engineering technology.  I've also considered psychology, a pharmacy technical diploma, water treatment.  I simply don't know where to go.  The reason I'm posting this is because my busy schedule and blog reads leave skeptical about careers.  I'm no economist and I know most people probably don't have answers, but if you know of a good occupation, 2-year, bachelor's, tech. diplomas if needed, please let me know.  As little as I know about the country, time and educated foresight are needed.  I've been looking and trust the martenson page more than other's.  Thanks for reading.  Don't mean to whine :)

-Justin  

npwebb's picture
npwebb
Re: Undecided Students

Have considered anything in the area of Deep Sea Oil Drilling?

If you haven't heard there have been recent discoveries of large oil deposites off the coast of Brazil.

The problem is it is in very deep water.  A lot of capital is going to be thrown at getting that oil out.  It will create a lot of jobs and there is going to be a huge demand for engineers to solve problems associated with deep sea drilling.

You'll have job security for as long as you want it.

Google "Brazil Oil" or look up recent articles from Byron King at www.dailyreckoning.com Byron is a geologist by trade and has a lot of good info/insight on Brazilian oil.

johnbryson's picture
johnbryson

Hi Justin,

You need to choose something that you like doing. Forget about the money, or whether it is useful right now or not. The key is that if you are truly passionate about what you choose, you will find ways to make it useful. I studied mechanical engineering, and ended up working in marketing! So, if you start by studying something now, you may decide in a few years to study something else.

John

npwebb's picture
npwebb

Here is Byron's most recent article on Peak Oil and deep water drilling:

http://whiskeyandgunpowder.com/deep-water-oil-wont-cure-peak-oil/

JRB's picture
JRB

Hi Justin,

I second the motion.  Go for what interests you most.  I have degrees in physics and am doing work that although it is physics related (what isn't), is not anything I would have predicted when I went to school.  Follow your interests and look forward to going to work in the morning!

Seems like you have technical interests.  Look around you and talk to people that are working in the jobs you find attractive.  Walk in the door and ask if you might speak to someone.  Might not always get a good response, but you may be surprised how well it works.

Keep reading the forums.  You may get an idea here.

Good luck,

Jim

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

Welcome Justin:

Try not to get to worried. The CC can be a bit heavy the first you watch.  Keep studying hard in your field and stay away from any "psychology" degrees as those will be worthless. Any specialized knowledge in energy fields will be greatly rewarded in an age of energy depletion.

With regards to "collapsitarians" dont be too worried about them as most people go through phases of awareness. I think we need to add the "panic" phase upon learning all the information.

Peace

bluestone's picture
bluestone

Justin

It's nice to see some younger people posting on this website.  Yes, I agree that if you find something you are passionate about, you thrive much more than a profession or job you don't enjoy.  However, be pragmatic as well.  Many "fluff" service sector jobs will disappear.  One may have a passion for landscaping, but I think there will be a lot of jobless landscapers in the future

think of the basic necessities of life.  People need food, shelter, transportation and safety.  Think of jobs or professions that help to provide those needs.  Our lives in the future will be much more basic and we may be forced to live a life without luxuries.

Even outside of your degree you can start developing skills that can make you more usefull and successfull in the future.  I would learn gardening and learn technical skills such as welding, plumbing, auto repair, woodwork, sewing, etc.  Knowing how to fix things will make you a friend to many in the future.

good luck

Brian 

ao's picture
ao

Skip psychology unless you have an intense passion for it.

How about geology/hydrology? 

FinPro's picture
FinPro

blindesun,

You are young, with a future ahead of you.  I don't want to go too far in assuming you are impressionable, but would suggest you recognize the heavy probability of systemic collapse assigned by much of the CM readership.  It is not representative of the responses you might get elsewhere.  Things always change over twenty years and there is a good chance the future won't be worse than marginally lower living standards, higher taxes and more suffering.  The choices YOU make are the greatest variable.

From what you list, demographics and the direction of health care make Pharmacology one of the more secure ~2 year pursuits.  Good luck.

FinPro

blindedsun's picture
blindedsun

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Regarding Psychology (heh,) I was interested in using my interest in philosohy and non-dogmatic spirtiuality as a medium for it (I feel shrink's are generally unnecessary, like a lot of people.  I don't see much potential for a bachelor's in Philosophy (maybe I'm wrong.)   So  This bring's me to my next point where a lot of people are giving me a nice Zen slap to wake me up..."do what you're interested in! "  I realize this but I'm also interested in our survival.  It seem's some aren't panicked with an economic collapse, while some advice on more sustainable careers, others on building a shelter for the storm.  Well with money still around education career suggestions seem the most important in mine and others' situation.  Let me know what you think everyone.  Keep the suggestion's for schooling coming, in any field, or the field I'm in.   I'll spread the word in my classes and colleges, because I was told that counseler's and even some teacher's will lie to you about career outlooks of certain degree's because they simply don't want too many people in their class. Resource: Professor.  Again, appreciate the posts, and look forward to a lot more.          

Tycer's picture
Tycer

As petroleum gets expensive, non-corn ethanol may be very attractive to investors.

Perhaps gaining the technical knowledge and degree to make alternative fuel sources and the program management skills to run the show will make you the darling of a group or groups of investors that see a future in something like non-corn based ethanol production on local or regional scales. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments