Toronto, Ontario

Hi,

Is anyone else here from the GTA?

Or visits the toronto area regularly?

Ed

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh
Re: Toronto, Ontario

Sorry Z210, I'm about 4-5 hours away up in Ottawa. There are a few other Ontarians lurking I'm sure (send me a PM and I can point you to a few that I think I remember). Perhaps read through the rest of the Canadian Forum and spot a few.

I think there is plenty of community out there but not everyone is on the same page or even knows about the CM site or even the Crash Course. For instance I just came back tonight from my first visit with a local group that meets once a month to discuss Peak Oil (organized by Sierra Club volunteer at their home). We had some interesting discussions and I was quite surprised that only one out of 10 other attendees had even heard of the Crash Course or this site.

I gave out my last 3 available copies of the Crash Course DVD and web address. I really want to get this group into focusing on all 3Es rather than just the one as they currently seem fixated only on the one. I intend to get the floor next session and discuss the 6 stages of awareness which I've found invaluable. My first impression showed me that each of them are at different stages and I feel that just knowing what those stages are will help one understand how to move on to the next stage up until reaching acceptance. I also want to emphasize the other aspects of the Crash Course because it all just puts everything into place so we can get the full view on things.

I realize that joining a group like this is kind of like preaching to the converted but I have to start somewhere beyond the water cooler or the barstool and in all honesty it is quite rewarding just to be surrounded (in the flesh) by some like minded people. Building community!

If you are trying to find community in your area maybe try a local PIRG (Public Interest Research Group) website or other like minded resources. Maybe Sierra hosts a Toronto group as well?

I have a few friends in the GTA and I will do my best to steer them your way if you come up with anything out there. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Okay,

Right now we are looking at may 27th, which is a wednesday, at Jesters Pub in downtown Toronto. There will be a $5 cover charge and $5 for any pre-ordered dvds I will burn. I might have a couple left over in case anyone forgets to. I'll post more details as I figure them out.

Ed

a.j.m.'s picture
a.j.m.

Hey Ed,

I guess I must've been thinking along the same lines as you - wondering who, in and around the GTA, was interested in Chris' work and what's really going on.  Glad to see that you've got that ball rollin'.  I'm from Toronto myself, but I currently live in London. 

Before I moved here about a year ago, I attended a couple meetings held by the Toronto chapter of the Post-Carbon Institute.  Their next meeting is on May 21st where they will be having Thomas Homer-Dixon coming to speak.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with his work, but it's a slightly more academic version of Chris' work, with less focus on the detailed monetary & economic aspects.  In terms of understanding the complex interactions among the 3E's, Homer-Dixon is absolutely fascinating.  You can check out some podcasts & speeches at his website.

Again, glad to see you're working hard to get Chris' message out there in Canada.  I'd be glad to help out where I can.  

- a.j.m.

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Glad to hear from you ajm, any chance you`ll be in town on that day?

Ed

a.j.m.'s picture
a.j.m.

Negative - sorry dude!

I come back every few weeks, but it's usually on the weekends. 

Just out of curiosity, how did you come to find out about The Crash Course?  I can't remember specifically, but I know I found it as a result of the research I had been doing on Peak Oil.  I had actually independently come across a lot of the work Chris cites in The Crash Course through research I had been doing on Peak Oil, the Credit Criss, and a little bit on Climate Change, but I was very impressed by his synthesis and how accessible he's made this information.  The biggest problem I've had in getting friends & family concerned about these issues is how to communicate inconvenient information - most people would rather just believe in fantasies.  In any case, Chris' work is bringing together like-minded people, and broadening the conversation which is a positive start I suppose.

Hopefully a city like Toronto, with a lot of progressive thinkers, is fertile soil for this kind of dialogue.  Again, I'd be glad to help share resources or brainstorm how to get the message out to a broader audience.

Cheers,

- a.j.m.

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Woohoo as of today I have 38 people showing up to watch the crash course. :D

You can find out more at http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Survivalists/calendar/10360523/

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Zombie -

Nice work, keep us posted.  We are working out details for several presentations here in the Tidewater area of SE Virginia.

Two quick questions:

Did any of the Toronto Lowesville crowd ever get in touch with you?

Are you going to make the "Two Beers With Steve" session Sunday?

bhilder's picture
bhilder

Hi,

I live in the GTA, and believe the Crash Course offers valuable knowledge to anyone.  
I learned about it by word of email from others in Toronto, I have told about 10+ others about it.
I am working on small scale sustainable food & energy projects in Riverdale.

Wed. May 27th may not work for me, by the way, which Jester?   Danforth?  Yonge St? 

Thanks,
Brett

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

@bhilder the location has changed to

539 Bloor St W
Toronto, ON M5S 1Y6
(416) 530-1331

You can find out all the details here http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Survivalists/calendar/10360523/

If that link does't work plz let me know.

@Dogs Sadly, I havn't heard back from them, and I don't think I'll be able to make this sundays call. It depends on the time but I have to meet some people at a pub and those things can kinda run long. Btw its up to 40 people now. :D

Ed

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Woot! Looks like two more groups of people want me to show the crash course to their groups. :)

So after this wednesday I might be showing it again in toronto twice next month.

Ed

http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Survivalists/calendar/10360523/

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh

good job Z210! I've been passing copies of the CC along at my local Sierra Club Peak Oil Discussion Group. Just yesterday I made a well recieved presentation regarding the 6 stages of awareness. Although the group is focused primarily on Peak Oil I think I'm getting through (or they realize on their own intuition) that the other 2 Es are so closely tied in and not to be ignored.

Keep up the good work.
r.

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Thanks Ruhh. :)

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Okay, the meeting went thusly.

After more people joined up and dropped out of registering on the meetup site the final number was about 16 who showed out of 36 who said they would.

We watched the first two disks, due to time and location restraints that was all that was possible, some found it very interesting and some found it interesting but dry, thats what happens when you talk to audiences about numbers of any sort. Although all afterward said they enjoyed seeing it, they have been approaching things before from an environmental POV only so the numbers and economy section were fresh info and I think they were glad to be exposed to it.

Afterward we had a short networking meeting had some great conversations, they all said they would love to see the third disk, even though 12 people bought the CDs I had burnt. Which just about covers my costs. ;)

I also have a couple more groups interested in watching the entire course so it looks like I'll be busy for a few in Toronto. :)

Ed

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Ed -

Nice work!!

Keep us updated on how future presentaions work out.  We are getting ready for our first presentation here in Virginia Beach in June.

We should put together a Crash Course presentation "Lessons Learned" file so other people can learn from our experiences.

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Just a quick followup, the actual count was 19 attendes and three of them made comments on the meetups webpage.

a lot of useful material was presented. this really helps me to make sense of world events 

While I was familiar with many of the issues raised, it was nice to hear the film's concepts and discuss it with others. 

I love all this weird geeky stuff and it's nice to know a few other people do too! Great to meet those of you who are new or who I finally met for the first time. 

And the members gave it a rating of 4.5 out of 5.

Ed
yoshhash's picture
yoshhash

Ed,

I am one of those annoying people who said they would show, but failed to do so- I apologize.  I just bought a house in Windsor and moved- it's a bit of a fixer-upper....and I got a little too engrossed in the project, had not checked my email for weeks, and just forgot about your meeting.  Good on you for forging ahead....as Dogs said, your work will no doubt be helpful for others hosting such events.

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

No worries dude, you have enough trouble living next to detroit. If you need help building you sandbag walls to defend the new house let me know. ;)

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Well, looks like I'll be having another viewing on July 19th, its for a private group however but the month after that I'll have another group showing in yet a third location. ;)

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Well, the viewing didn`t turn out so well, only two people showed up, there was aproblem with communication and as a result the location didn`t know we where coming and they didn`t have the TV screen anymore, plus the fact that the place was supposed to close 1/2 hour after it was supposed to start. lol

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Okay, I have another place reserved, not sure as to the date yet. For another viewing here in toronto.

It won't be for another couple of months, in the meantime they are showing another movie called 'The end of suburbia" at the same location. If anyone is interested you can find out more at these links.

This is the location
http://www.meetup.com/The-Toronto-Atheists-and-Friends-Meetup-Group/calendar/11087393/  

Its being held by
www.cfiontario.org

And this is the actual movie :)
http://www.endofsuburbia.com/

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Hello all again, just fyi, the end of suburbia movie went well overall, 18 people showed up.

We had a discussion afterwards, and everyone except a recent German immigrant and I felt there would be no problem in the long run because they had "faith in the free market and upcoming technologies".  I can see how Dr. Martenson can get frustrated lol.

I'll post a link for the crash course viewing when we settle on a date.

cgrant417's picture
cgrant417

Hmm. Seems quiet for some time. Anything happening in Toronto now?

mg62's picture
mg62
  I just joined.  I'm an

I just joined.  I'm an ex-pat living in Mississauga.  Anyone out there?

Doug's picture
Doug
mg62 wrote:   I just

mg62 wrote:

I just joined.  I'm an ex-pat living in Mississauga.  Anyone out there?

Welcome to the site.  I live not far from you, about an hour south of Buffalo.  PM me if you wish.

Doug

Lilman's picture
Lilman
hellooooo from oakville

hellooooo from oakville =)

Peace, G

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer
Hello newer members. I

Hello newer members.

I haven't  been active on this site for a while but what I can tell you is I organized a couple of viewings but interest petered out and I couldn't get more for another one. What seems to happen in my experience is that people watch the crash course, get the message and then go off on their own in muptiple directions to prepare.

The good news is that there are a few local groups to Toronto who are doing different things based on their differing viewpoints on what may happen next. Anyone interested in getting together sometime you can fire me a PM and we can talk.

If you want to learn more about groups local to Toronto, you can check out.

Renewable Energy Group

Toronto Locavores

Peak Oil/Post Carbon

Toronto Survivalists

Feel free to contact me anytime. ;)

markjr's picture
markjr
Greetings from Etobicoke

Been following Crash Course (among others) for awhile, joined the site today.

I live in Etobicoke, office down in Liberty Village.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments