Straight Talk input

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Straight Talk input

This thread is dedicated to input on our Straight Talk series. Whom would the CM.com community like to hear from? What questions should we ask them?

aggrivated's picture
aggrivated
Re: Straight Talk input

I'd be interested in hearing a debate on the peak oil issue. Podcast or video would be a nice format.  There are many with other views on this subject which is key to any discussion members might have with others.

horstfam's picture
horstfam

It seems to me that the powers that be can manipulate, procrastinate, cogitate, and every other -tate the economy to the extent that the much-anticipated ECONOMIC collapse may never occur. (More likely a slow bleeding-out over the years to come.) But, energy is a different animal altogether. Their dog and pony show won't keep vehicles running when the gas is gone (too expensive to be bought by the middle class). So, I would like to hear from an expert on the earth's use of it's energy VS. projected growth paths. (I'm reminded of the IEA's chart showing projected oil supplies- every two years it is lowered quite a bit.) If accurate (I know that is a relative term) trajectories can be shown for just the next 5 years, I think it will lead to meaningful conclusions for many fence-sitters. As an example, say in three years China needs another 5 million barrels per day (assuming current growth rate, for example) since production will not keep up with that demand, prices will go up by xxx dollars. When oil is at xxx dollars, US gas costs $7.00 a gallon. So, in three years, how will $7 gas fit into your budget?

Yes, I realize this is all hypothetical and all variables are constantly changing. But, it seems to me that someone could put together an algorithm that would extrapolate a near-miss scenario. The person that could do this is who I would like to be interviewed as part of this series. As always, we desperately need information about likely future outcomes. In a perfect world, these algorithms (assuming there may be other applications in addition to oil use/prices) could be updated on a regular basis- like monthly. This way we would have some point of reference as to what direction different aspects of life are heading.

Thanks for asking- and listening. Just my two-cents worth.

JAG's picture
JAG

Thanks for your efforts Adam. This is a great idea and the first installment with Mish proves it beyond a doubt!

I would love to get inside the mind of Hugh Hendry of Eclectica Asset Management.

ashvinp's picture
ashvinp

Two people I'd love to hear from are Dr. Steve Keen (Australian economist) and Nicole Foss (Stoneleigh from TAE).

Dr. Keen could be asked about what he believes led to the global financial crisis, and where he thinks the global economy is headed from here. Also he could be asked about his views on peak oil/resources and how that affects his views on how the debt deflation will play out.

Perhaps a debate between Dr. Keen and someone who is convinced we will have hyper-inflation in the short term? Like John Williams.

Mrs. Foss could also be asked about all of those issues, with perhaps more focus on peak oil and preparation.

M.E.'s picture
M.E.

William Black

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart

Here are names I've received to-date from members of the CM community. Feel free to throw your vote behind any of these or add your own (though if you do, please include the rationale why)

• Laurence Kotlikoff
  • Bill McKibben x2
  • Dan Bednarz
  • Ron & Rand Paul x2
  • Damon Vrabel
  • Ben Bernanke
  • Nicole Foss (aka Stoneleigh of TAE) x2
  • Tyler Durden (Zero Hedge) x4
  • Charles Hugh Smith x4
  • Jesse (Jesse's Cafe Americain)
  • Dr Housing Bubble
  • Ellen Brown
  • Jim Kuntsler x3
  • G. Edward Griffin x2
  • Joel Salatin x2
  • BJ Lawson
  • Marc Faber x3
  • Jim Rogers x4
  • US congressmen/women
  • Hugh Hendry x3
  • Bob Precter
  • Doug Casey
  • Richard Russell
  • Jim Rickards
  • Catherine Austin Fitts
  • Jim Puplava
  • Steve Keen
  • Larry Kudlow
  • Bernie Goldstein
  • Lew Rockwell
  • Matt Taibbi
  • Albert Bartlett
  • Bill Fleckenstein
  • Eric King
  • John Williams
  • Paul Roberts
  • Barbara Kingsolver
  • David Walker
  • Paul Craig Roberts
  • Alan Grayson
  • Massad Ayoob
  • Gordon T. Long
  • Richard Maybury
  • Fernado Ferfal Aguirre
  • Dmytri Orlov
  • Kathy McMahon
  • Richard Karn
  • Gary Zimmer
  • Neal Kinsey
  • John Jeavons
  • Sally Fallon
  • Eliot Spitzer
  • Robert Reich
  • Paul Krugman

cheers,

crash_watcher's picture
crash_watcher

A discussion between Nicole Foss and Chris Martensen on the topic of inflation v. deflation would be quite interesting.

ashvinp's picture
ashvinp

Has anyone ever heard of Tyler Durden from ZH giving an interview? I would think he would refuse based on ZH's strong commitment to remaining anonymous. Maybe he would do an email interview?

crash_watcher's picture
crash_watcher

Has anyone ever heard of Tyler Durden from ZH giving an interview?

Dragline's picture
Dragline

I second Steve Keen

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart

Jim Rogers has expressed interest in participating in Straight Talk. I've received questions for him from a few folks here, but am looking for more. 

Need to get back to him quickly, so if you have anything you've always wanted to ask him, now's your chance. Post in a comment on this thread.

thanks,
Adam 

SingleSpeak's picture
SingleSpeak

If there were a mandate that Jim Rogers fire one and only one man for his involvement in the financial mismanagement of the country and it had to be either Timothy Geithner or Ben Bernanke, who would get the axe and why? If you had to choose someone to fill the vacancy who would that be and why? 

SingleSpeak's picture
SingleSpeak

I'll put another vote up for Nicole Foss. She seems to have a firm grasp of the 3 E's and therefore can field questions from all the angles and issues we deal with on Chris's site.

V's picture
V

Adam wrote:

Jim Rogers has expressed interest in participating in Straight Talk. I've received questions for him from a few folks here, but am looking for more. 

Need to get back to him quickly, so if you have anything you've always wanted to ask him, now's your chance. Post in a comment on this thread.

thanks,
Adam 

Ask him if he rides much anymore. And Paul his BMW mechanic from Oklahoma says hello.

V

ps Ask him if he thinks there are ANY political solutions

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

I vote for Damon Vrable and Ellen Brown. 

I'd like to ask Mr. Rogers if he bases any of his investments on the theory of Peak Oil?  If so, what would they be? 

Also, what is he hearing from China in regards to the Yuan and it's inclusion into a new world reserve currency? 

Lastly, is he in the Inflation or Deflation camp?  And with his answer, what does it mean to the US Citizen over the next 5 years?

I could go on and on, but some of my questions would be against forum guidelines.....unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown
Jim Rogers

Adam:  This is fantastic.  How many times have I wished I could ask Jim Rogers something, and here is my chance! 

I've read two of Rogers' books (the most recent trip around the world with his wife, Paige, and his first trip, solo), watch every youtube video of him that I can, and try to follow whatever it is he is doing.

I think I have a pretty good idea of where Mr. Rogers stands as far as any investments are concerned, or I can guess what he'll say.  So, rather than ask him about the markets or his predictions, I have always wanted to know this, and have never seen him answer it anywhere:

1)  Jim, which books/authors have influenced you the most and why?

2)  Your knowledge of history, including economic history, is remarkable.  Which would be your top 3-5 book recommendations to someone desiring to gain an appreciation of economic history such as your own?

3)  Which current economic writers/market followers do you follow and why, even if you do not necessarilly agree with them?

bluestone's picture
bluestone

Thanks Adam.  this is great

I would ask Mr. Roger the following questions:

1.  Does he feel that China is in a bubble and if so,  what does this mean for Chinese equities? 

2.  When, the US defaults on its obligations to China (either through devaluation of the currency or pure default), does he believe  China will retaliate by consfiscating US assets in China?

3.  Watching his videos, I believe that he expects more inflation.  What is his counterargument to the deflationists who argue that inflation is impossible with our credit based monetary system.

thank you so much

Brian

bluestone's picture
bluestone

BTW Adam

I just happened to see your solicitation for questions for Jim Rogers under the recent comments section.  Once this was off the "recent comments" list, your request got buried in the website.  Is there a way to put that on the home page?  Otherwise, community members won't know to pose any questions

thanks

Brian

ashvinp's picture
ashvinp

Maybe we could get someone to speak to geopolitical issues, and specifically the issues surrounding the ME and Iran? I know CM has written an article about an upcoming war with Iran and that seems to be a very likely possibility at this point, especially if the Democrats get routed on November 2. With these latest IED "terrorist" attempts along with numerous others over the last year, the negative sentiment of Americans towards the ME continues to build.

ashvinp's picture
ashvinp

ashvinp wrote:

Maybe we could get someone to speak to geopolitical issues, and specifically the issues surrounding the ME and Iran? I know CM has written an article about an upcoming war with Iran and that seems to be a very likely possibility at this point, especially if the Democrats get routed on November 2. With these latest IED "terrorist" attempts along with numerous others over the last year, the negative sentiment of Americans towards the ME continues to build.

I don't know would would be best and we could also get for an interview on these issues. Maybe other people can make suggestions.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart

All: the list of questions has been sent to Jim Rogers. Thanks to all who contributed. I'll let you know shortly who our next guest will be.

In the meantime, please keep the suggestions coming for additional guests.

Bluestone: thanks for the heads up. Am still figuring out the most effective way to enable an ongoing dialogue with the CM audience about Straight Talk. So far, folks have been giving me plenty of good input - but I agree there's likely a better way to manage this. I like your idea of a persistent placement on the front page & will explore.

cheers,

A

V's picture
V

ashvinp wrote:

Chalmers Johnson, John Perkins, Michael Hudson, Derrick Jensen, Noam Chomsky, Gore Vidal would be my short list

V

ashvinp's picture
ashvinp

Yes I would definitely second John Perkins and Michael Hudson.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart

James Kunstler just agreed to participate in Straight Talk. 

What questions do you have for him? Looking to get him our list by this Wednesday, 11/3.

thanks,

Adam

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart

Steve Keen and G. Edward Griffin (author of the Creature from Jekyll Island) are interested as well. What questions would you like to ask them? 

ashvinp's picture
ashvinp

I'd like to ask Steve Keen how long he thinks the debt deflation will last in America, how severe it will get, whether some countries will fare signficantly better than others (and if yes, which ones) and whether he thinks it will set up the possibility of hyperinflation down the road.

JAG's picture
JAG
Some Questions for Steve Keen
  1. Can you tells us a little about your background, your education and professional experience?
  2. Most of your work is beyond the average person to fully understand and appreciate, as it involves complex mathematical formulas and economic modeling. Can you summarize some of the more important conclusions of your work in ‘layman’ terms for us? 
  3. In your professional opinion, what mistakes has modern economic policy made, and what are the consequences of those mistakes? 
  4. How should the average consumer-citizen prepare for the debt-deflation process? How will this process affect our way of life and what should we expect as this process unfolds?
  5. You have written about many of the similarities between the current period and the Great Depression. What are some of the differences between these two periods and how could these differences affect the way the current debt-deflation unfolds relative to the Great Depression?
  6. You have demonstrated that instability in a credit-based monetary system is a consequence of speculative or Ponzi financing. Can you elaborate on what Ponzi-financing is and how you incorporate it into your model? 
  7. In your opinion, will gold serve as means of protecting personal wealth and purchasing power during debt-deflation? 
  8. What reforms do you think are necessary to prevent a crisis like this from reoccurring in the future?
bluestone's picture
bluestone

Adam

questions for James Kunstler

You've been talking about the perils of suburbia and peak oil for a long time.  Are you able to tell (either based on your website viewership or book sales, or from any other source)  what part of the country your teachings are gaining the most traction? 

It seems inevitable that the suburbs and 60 mile commutes (in places like Los Angeles) will die?  How do you think the surburbs in medium size communtiies like  the Capital Region NY will fair?

I don't hear you speaking much about storing food or gardening.  Is this part of your preparation for peak oil?

thanks  Blue

littleone's picture
littleone

I recently watched the new documentary What in The World Are They Spraying? Produced By G. Edward Griffin, Michael J. Murphy, and Paul Wittenberger.

Firstly, let me thank G. Edward Griffin for tackling such an important and controversial topic(chemtrails).

From What in The World Are They Spraying?:

51:10 -

"What does Aluminum do? It changes the pH of soils, which is toxic to plant life..."

1:07:20 -

Hegelian Dialectic

Problem

Reaction

Solution

1:07:50 -

Genetically Modified Gene Patent

Aluminum Resistant Gene Patent# 7582809

Granted on September 1, 2009

All alarm bells are going off!

I know at G. Edward Griffin's website www.freedomforceinternational.org he advocates political involvement from concerned citizens.

I would like to ask G. Edward Griffin how can political involvement be effective when greed, denial, and secrecy are so prevalent?

-littleone

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Adam wrote:

Steve Keen and G. Edward Griffin (author of the Creature from Jekyll Island) are interested as well. What questions would you like to ask them? 

For both.....

What is the single most pressing issue facing us right now and what can we do about it?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments