S. 510: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Charlene's picture
Charlene
S. 510: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act

Seeing much print on S.510: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act.  Much is being written that this bill will infact make it illegal to grow your own food. It has passed the Senate but the House of Representatives have to approve.  I reviewed the bill at Library of Congress and I do not see such wording but then bills are worded in such a fashion that it can be interpretated to suit the powers that be.  Anyone have more insight on this bill?

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: S. 510: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act

Hi Charlene!

Welcome to CM.

There has been plenty of discussion about this topic on CM. Here is a thread link:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/senate-bill-510-outlawing-sale-tradeing-or-sharing-home-grown-foods/47176?page=0#comments

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Charlene wrote:

Seeing much print on S.510: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act.  Much is being written that this bill will in fact make it illegal to grow your own food. It has passed the Senate but the House of Representatives have to approve.  I reviewed the bill at Library of Congress and I do not see such wording but then bills are worded in such a fashion that it can be interpretated to suit the powers that be.  Anyone have more insight on this bill?

Welcome Charlene -

The bill failed yesterday on a technical legislative issue.  Apparently it contains provisions for a new "tax".  The Constitution requires any and all legislation with new taxes to originate in the House, therefore S510 is DOA unless it gets fast tracked through.  Which is unlikely given the debate over tax cut extensions - with the petulant Republicans 'I'm gonna hold my breath until the tax cuts are extended' on one side and the nanny state, enabling Democrats on the other.  (Who says a two party system isn't good for something?  Cheap entertainment perhaps?)

In any event, the bill didn't outlaw the growing of your own food.  Or the sale, or the distribution or trading.  It put into place regulatory oversight rules for traceability under the auspices of "ensuring food safety" and only for $500,000 or more operations.  I think it might have also been applicable to smaller farmers/gardeners who supplied CSA and/or Farmer's markets above the $500K threshold.  The CT bubbas will see something that isn't there in the bill, what it is is another Federal government  "program" that just needs to GTFO out of my backyard and address the real issues facing the country.

I'll try to find more about the legislative procedural snafu and put it over on the original subject thread.

earthwise's picture
earthwise

Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Charlene wrote:

Seeing much print on S.510: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act.  Much is being written that this bill will in fact make it illegal to grow your own food. It has passed the Senate but the House of Representatives have to approve.  I reviewed the bill at Library of Congress and I do not see such wording but then bills are worded in such a fashion that it can be interpretated to suit the powers that be.  Anyone have more insight on this bill?

Welcome Charlene -

The bill failed yesterday on a technical legislative issue.  Apparently it contains provisions for a new "tax".  The Constitution requires any and all legislation with new taxes to originate in the House, therefore S510 is DOA unless it gets fast tracked through.  Which is unlikely given the debate over tax cut extensions - with the petulant Republicans 'I'm gonna hold my breath until the tax cuts are extended' on one side and the nanny state, enabling Democrats on the other.  (Who says a two party system isn't good for something?  Cheap entertainment perhaps?)

In any event, the bill didn't outlaw the growing of your own food.  Or the sale, or the distribution or trading.  It put into place regulatory oversight rules for traceability under the auspices of "ensuring food safety" and only for $500,000 or more operations.  I think it might have also been applicable to smaller farmers/gardeners who supplied CSA and/or Farmer's markets above the $500K threshold.  The CT bubbas will see something that isn't there in the bill, what it is is another Federal government  "program" that just needs to GTFO out of my backyard and address the real issues facing the country.

I'll try to find more about the legislative procedural snafu and put it over on the original subject thread.

Dogs,

Thanks for your effort on this. Oftentimes there is so much hype and hyperbole injected into issues that it's hard to sort out fact from hysteria. Although it's hard to beleive that TPTB would try to regulate home gardens and such, but given the intrusiveness of government nowadays I no longer dismiss anything, no matter how outrageous it seems. Constant vigilance is necessary, and your vigilance on this matter is appreciated.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Update on S. 510: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act

Looks like S510 is on pretty thin ice.

There is hope for a reprieve from Senate Bill S510, the awful, expensive, bureaucracy-expanding, federal power grab over our food supply. The reason is that the bill contains new fees, which can be regarded as taxes, and the Constitution requires all tax bills to originate in the House of Representatives. John Stanton of Roll Call reports:

By pre-empting the House's tax-writing authority, Senate Democrats appear to have touched off a power struggle with members of their own party in the House. The Senate passed the bill Tuesday, sending it to the House, but House Democrats are expected to use a procedure known as "blue slipping" to block the bill, according to House and Senate GOP aides.

The debacle could prove to be a major embarrassment for Senate Democrats, who sought Tuesday to make the relatively unknown bill a major political issue by sending out numerous news releases trumpeting its passage.

There are two possible outcomes here:

The blue slip could lead to one of two likely outcomes. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) could simply drop the issue and let the next session of Congress start from scratch, a strategy that would allow him time in the lame-duck session to tackle other last-minute priorities, such as the expiring 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, a long-term continuing resolution, an immigration bill and a repeal of the military's ban on openly gay service members.

Or he could try to force the issue in the Senate after the House passes a new version of the bill. But in order to do that and still tackle the other issues, he would need a unanimous consent agreement to limit debate.

According to Senate GOP aides, a unanimous consent agreement is all but certain to be a nonstarter because the bill's chief opponent, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), will not agree to such a deal.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/12/s510_food_power_grab_may_be_st.html

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Whatever Happened to the

Whatever Happened to the Food Safety Act?

It passed. Here's what's next.

Whatever happened to the

Food Safety Modernization Act?

By Jerri Cook
Countryside Staff

Remember the Food Safety Modernization Act (SB 510)? The Senate passed it on November 30, 2010 by a stunning 73-25 vote. So, where is it now? Exactly where Representative Ron Paul's aide (R TX) said it would be back in December: "We've heard what is likely to happen is that the lame duck House would take up the Senate bill [S. 510] and slap an HR number on it somehow, and pass it as a House bill, sending it to the Senate as a standalone bill." That's just what happened.

The 111th Congress changed the name of the bill, passed it after only 50 minutes of debate with no input from the public, and then funded the whole thing to the tune of $3.8 billion. The new bill—H.R. 3082: Military Construction and Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2010, became law on December 13th, 2010. A cursory reading will send chills up your spine. Read More

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Glimmer of a silver lining???

safewrite wrote:

Whatever Happened to the Food Safety Act?

It passed. Here's what's next.

Whatever happened to the

Food Safety Modernization Act?

By Jerri Cook
Countryside Staff

Remember the Food Safety Modernization Act (SB 510)? The Senate passed it on November 30, 2010 by a stunning 73-25 vote. So, where is it now? Exactly where Representative Ron Paul's aide (R TX) said it would be back in December: "We've heard what is likely to happen is that the lame duck House would take up the Senate bill [S. 510] and slap an HR number on it somehow, and pass it as a House bill, sending it to the Senate as a standalone bill." That's just what happened.

The 111th Congress changed the name of the bill, passed it after only 50 minutes of debate with no input from the public, and then funded the whole thing to the tune of $3.8 billion. The new bill—H.R. 3082: Military Construction and Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2010, became law on December 13th, 2010. A cursory reading will send chills up your spine. Read More

If it contains provisions to monitor food for the presence of Cs-137, then the otherwise dark cloud may just have a small silver lining.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
illegal garen

Here's a related issue: In blighted Detroit, a homeowner tried to follow local code and put in a landscaped Square Foot Garden in the front yard. She's been cited with a misdemeanor, and is scheduled for a jury trial to see if she gets 93 days in jail.

Your tax dollars at work, just as well on the local as the Federal level...

Tall's picture
Tall
Sounds like a neighbor complained about the garden

safewrite wrote:

Here's a related issue: In blighted Detroit, a homeowner tried to follow local code and put in a landscaped Square Foot Garden in the front yard. She's been cited with a misdemeanor, and is scheduled for a jury trial to see if she gets 93 days in jail.

Your tax dollars at work, just as well on the local as the Federal level...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments