Resilient Off-Grid Farmstead Looking for Caretaker

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Estatesavr's picture
Estatesavr
Resilient Off-Grid Farmstead Looking for Caretaker

Hello all:

My family and I own an off-grid farm in the Inland Pacific Northwest. We raise Highland Cattle, Poultry, Veggies, and soon start on pork (Spots), dairy goats and plan to add a lucrative cash crop (huckleberry).

We are looking for a caretaker/family to live on the farm, care for the place and ensure its security. We will pay the mortgage and property taxes, but would expect the resident(s) to pay for propane & firewood & whatever personal income they need.

We will share the income from the beef & calf sales (although we will keep a side of beef back for our family). Another possible money-making idea would be to start a CSA operation -- and we would be willing to co-invest in a hoophouse to make that possible (and extend the growing season on each end).

Our primary goal at this time is to find caretakers who can manage the very physical work of caring for the farm. A long-term goal might include -- if the personal fit is right -- an intentional, resilient community to earn a solid living during good/reasonable times and to have shelter from the storm if, as we suspect, times continue to become more challenging.

A first step if you are interested (or know someone of good character who might be) is to PM me. Further steps will include a phone call or three, followed by an actual visit to the farm if it seems warranted. There will be a probationary period once the caretaker is hired to make certain that it's all a good fit. We don't intend to hurry this process -- getting it right is more important than getting it done quickly -- and so the screening process may involve several visits. Bring your work gloves when you come :)

Looking forward to hearing from seriously interested people.

Jake

PS - Hat Tip to my friend Sager for his helpful thinking on this matter

Estatesavr's picture
Estatesavr
update & additional info

Hi folks;

I want all of you to know that this farm is remote -- there are no 'Starbucks' for two hours in any direction  -- We think that is a strategic advantage but the few folk who have responded, so far, seem to balk at this ... so if you wish to PM me and inquire

please know, beforehand, that this farm is remote ... there are no malls, no public trans., no multi-plex here

I have to admit I am having some second thoughts about doing all of this because of the cascade of bad news, Chris' warning of impending problems and my 'gut' sense that we are on the precipice of something big and bad

BUT I do want to create a reselient community & want to have others here

if still interested PM me and we'll go from there

Jake

Estatesavr's picture
Estatesavr
update & additional info

Hi folks;

I want all of you to know that this farm is remote -- there are no 'Starbucks' for two hours in any direction  -- We think that is a strategic advantage but the few folk who have responded, so far, seem to balk at this ... so if you wish to PM me and inquire

please know, beforehand, that this farm is remote ... there are no malls, no public trans., no multi-plex here

I have to admit I am having some second thoughts about doing all of this because of the cascade of bad news, Chris' warning of impending problems and my 'gut' sense that we are on the precipice of something big and bad

BUT I do want to create a reselient community & want to have others here

if still interested PM me and we'll go from there

Jake

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments