Resilence Circles Vs Going Solo

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
bientum's picture
bientum
Resilence Circles Vs Going Solo

Resilience Circles, Transition Initiatives, Permaculture, and Time Banking are great but in this modern world they just aren't hard core enough for a serious survivalist.  And if you want to be a serious survivalist, 99% of people living in urban areas will think you're mad.  So one has no choice but to work undercover.  On the outside a survivalist appears to be just an avid gardener.  But he or she is really trying to grow food for self-sufficiency.  I wanted to join or start a group in my area but am not sure how or even if I'll get likeminded people.  Some of these groups for example practice non-survival activities like making pancakes or sewing teddy bears.  I believe that if you really want to survive then you just have to go undercover and do it solo.  The paradox is that some say we just can't do it alone.  Well if no one lives within 20 km of me that thinks like me, how am I to form a community.  Any thoughts?  I could have an online community but I really believe the lights will go out one day.

Mirv's picture
Mirv
I could have an online community but I really believe the lights

Are you concerned about communications?  If so please consider an offline self sufficient radio based system.  It is not as hard as  it seems , using modern technology. I am interested in exploring this topic privately if anyone cares to email me.........

by the way, which state are you in?

best wishes

NZSailor's picture
NZSailor
Keep looking...

I agree its hard to have a world view that most of us here at CM have and yet live in a day to day world where 99% or more of those around you think the economy is just turning the corner or that Greece really doesn't matter.  It's sort of a schizophrenic life we lead but I would say keep looking and talking to people.  There are a suprising number of people who realize something's not right but they haven't quite connected the dots.  They are out there in varying degrees from newly comitted gardener to hard core survivalist.  My hope is that the transition to a lower energy lifestyle will be a long slow predictable one that gives people time to adjust without bouts of anarchy.  Given TPTB's policies of kicking the can down the road even when its obvious they are doing long term damage I think that is their prefered option too.

And in the mean time there is no harm in getting your own preps done while trying to make those wider connections.

Good luck....   Chip

bientum's picture
bientum
Radio Comms

Yes I think Radio Communications is excellent.  Do radio towers require any power?  I've seen them in some pretty remote places and they seem to just sit there unpowered.    I'm in Australia. 

Doug's picture
Doug
communities

bientum

I do not live in a community of preppers (survivalist lite) but do have a network of friends, relatives and fellow preppers who work together on various projects, help each other out and make plans for when tshtf or if it doesn't.  Because my home is probably the best situated to make it through a true shtf episode, some of my network plan to come here if conditions warrant.  I am also working within my physical community on projects (largely to do with gardening) to make us all a little more resilient and build a community spirit that will serve well no matter what the future holds.  I think it would be impractical to plan on moving to a ready-made survivalist community if it does not already exist.  Too many unknowns.

Doug

Dscott's picture
Dscott
Public community building

Public community building and secret stockpiling prepps are not mutually exclusive.

If you not prepared to share the last bite of food with someone then dont tell them you stockpile. Even if you are prepared to share you dont neccessarily need to tell them because you dont want them mentioning "my survivalist cousin" after theyv had a few too many drinks. 

A network of people who know and trust each other for any reason e.g teddybear knitting club is good because the practicalities of adapting to hard times can be learned when the need arises.

http://sharonastyk.com/2012/02/23/the-church-model-of-community-organizing/

Dscott's picture
Dscott
Public community building

Public community building and secret stockpiling prepps are not mutually exclusive.

If you not prepared to share the last bite of food with someone then dont tell them you stockpile. Even if you are prepared to share you dont neccessarily need to tell them because you dont want them mentioning "my survivalist cousin" after theyv had a few too many drinks. 

A network of people who know and trust each other for any reason e.g teddybear knitting club is good because the practicalities of adapting to hard times can be learned when the need arises.

http://sharonastyk.com/2012/02/23/the-church-model-of-community-organizing/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments