Peter Schiff just pre-announced Senatorial candidacy

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Peter Schiff just pre-announced Senatorial candidacy

Hi All,

I just spent over an hour with Peter Schiff in his hotel room here at Freedom Fest in Las Vegas, talking about both economics and politics (eat your hearts out, guys!). Earlier today I attended Peter's lunch presentation. After giving an excellent speech on current events, Peter made a long-anticipated announcement about his intentions to run for Senate (against Chris Dodd) in Connecticut in 2010.

Peter announced that in order to win the senate seat, his campaign will be focused primarily on national-level economic issues, i.e. the credit crisis and the fact that unlike anyone in congress, he accurately predicted the current crises in both housing and credit. For that reason, Peter will need to raise money on a national level to support his senate candidacy in Connecticut. Since this is a little unusual, Peter's approach is to "pre-announce" that he intends to run if there is sufficient support. He will accept donations at www.schiffforsenate.com starting immediately. If there seems to be strong enough interest (i.e. adequate donations), he will run for senate. If there are not sufficient donations and he decides not to run, he will return all donations received.

By the time I caught up with Peter in his hotel room, there was a small stack of checks, many of them for the maximum legal campaign donation amount of $4,800. I would have added one of my own, but I don't travel with blank check stock. I'll be mailing my donation in to Peter's campaign on Monday when I get back home.

I think Peter is going to get a lot of attention very soon. Earlier today I saw him being interviewed by a TV news crew, and while I was in his hotel room, the national chairman of the Libertarian party showed up begging Peter to consider running on the LP ticket. But after some conversation he conceded that it made more sense for Peter to run as a Republican. It seemed clear that he would have the support of the libertarian party no matter what his official affiliation.

I hope others on this site will consider making donations as well. Peter Schiff is about as close to "Chris Martenson Thinking" as they come, and I can't think of anything better than to have a guy in the senate who saw all this coming, accurately predicted the crisis, and who knows how to fix it.

Again, the new website for Peter's campaign is www.schiffforsenate.com (yes, that's 3 Fs in schiffforsenate). Peter wasn't sure whether the site was ready to accept credit card donations yet, but he said it would be within a few days if it isn't already.

Erik

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Re: Peter Schiff just pre-announced Senatorial candidacy

Not sure what happened here... The original had whitespace formatting but it seems to have been lost in the final version.

ET

Woodman's picture
Woodman

Thanks for the report, Erik.  Great news.  Will be interesting to see how far he gets by saying it like it is, instead of saying what people may want to hear like most politicians do.

Tom

Futuo's picture
Futuo

That's great, thanks for the update. Here's one for liberty!

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Hmmm . . . . . I was wondering why the media gave so much coverage to Schiff's prescient prediction of the economic collapse . . .  The other shoe drops . . . . You heard it here first, folks . . . Connecticut Senator Schiff (R) . . . . Has a ring to it . . . . No one more effective than someone perceived to be on the side of liberty. . . .

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

Schiff has been mocked, yelled at, called a fraud, has been effectively banned from Bloomberg, Fox News Business, CNN and many other media outlets. Only Kudlow on CNBC puts him on. He has some big juevos doing this senate run. I wish him the best of luck.

joemanc's picture
joemanc

Erik - I'm very jealous, but I am a CT resident so eat your heart out! :-)

I will be supporting Peter in any way I can if he does run.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

joemanc wrote:

Erik - I'm very jealous, but I am a CT resident so eat your heart out! :-)

I will be supporting Peter in any way I can if he does run.

Guess I'm gonna have to get to know this Schiff cat a little better, seeing as how he'd be The Senator Next Door...  But the idea that anybody up in DC would be carrying even little pieces of the 3Es message is a very exciting one.

Viva -- Sager

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

enjoy

Kurosawa's picture
Kurosawa

lol, if Schiff gets in Mozilo will have one less friend in Senate.

btw, I would also suggest supporting and/or donating to Rand Paul:

http://www.randpaul2010.com/

He's running for Senate in Kentucky 2010.  He's Ron Paul's son and holds many of the same ideologies as his father.  It would be phenomenal if these two can win a seat in the Senate

DavidC's picture
DavidC

With Ron Paul, Alan Grayson and Peter Schiff in the fray it could get really good!

DavidC

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Oh, and mucho thanks to Erik...

...for dropping this "exclusive [nearly] live from Vegas!" report here at CM.com!  

Viva -- Sager 

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

-What Sager said, Erik!  Thanks for the nearly-real-time news about Schiff announcing his run for the Senate!  And thanks for all the details; nice to get the inside scoop!

npwebb's picture
npwebb

This will be very, VERY interesting.

Will he have a straight run at Dodd or will he have to put up a significant fight to get the nomination?

Who are his primary competitors, if any? 

idoctor's picture
idoctor

I couldn't be happier about this. I just hope his common sense approach becomes contagious.

MarkM's picture
MarkM

Kurosawa wrote:

lol, if Schiff gets in Mozilo will have one less friend in Senate.

btw, I would also suggest supporting and/or donating to Rand Paul:

http://www.randpaul2010.com/

He's running for Senate in Kentucky 2010.  He's Ron Paul's son and holds many of the same ideologies as his father.  It would be phenomenal if these two can win a seat in the Senate

Yes, support Rand.  He is cut from the same cloth as his father.

The Republican party in Kentucky is already jacking him around, just as they do his father here in Texas. 

I don't care if you are from Kentucky or not, he needs your help.  We, as a country, have got to get people like this into government positions.  Schiff needs to be there as well.

sjdavis's picture
sjdavis

Maybe he'll offer Art Laffer an internship?  Work off that penny he owes.

joemanc's picture
joemanc

npwebb wrote:

This will be very, VERY interesting.

Will he have a straight run at Dodd or will he have to put up a significant fight to get the nomination?

Who are his primary competitors, if any? 

There's 3 Republicans who have already announced and are fundraising. One of them is a former congressman for Southeastern CT. He probably would be the strongest candidate right now against Dodd. There's also a former interim mayor/current state rep. running too, though he doesn't have the name recognition. I don't know who the other guy is at all.

joemanc's picture
joemanc

There was a nice writeup today about Peter Schiff and his possible Senate run in one of CT's largest newspapers:

http://www.courant.com/news/nation-world/hc-peter-schiff-senate-0823.art...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments