Peak Oil/Post Peak Business Opportunities?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jbarney's picture
Jbarney
Peak Oil/Post Peak Business Opportunities?

Hi guys,

This might seem like an idea that is ambitous, but well, many of us are involved in trying to prepare for an uncertain future.  Regardless of what happens I would like to think I would have a job or could do SOMETHING to provide for my family and loved ones.  I was wondering if there are any threads, bits of information, or opinions on local business investments that actually might do well in the coming years.

I know CM has dropped some hints about woodlands being available for home heating use, and preparing for a world where local food production is key, but any other ideas?

Hell, I don't even have the resources to invest in such a venture.  One can dream though.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Jason

nigel's picture
nigel
mmm

I have been learning saddlery and leatherwork for the last 2 years. For 2 reasons, 1. I ride horses and I like doing it, and 2. It's a post peak oil  job. My advice is to find something that makes you happy that you can do even if the world doesn't end.

The other areas I have thought of:

Toolshop. Take scrap metal and smelt it into new tools. It's sort of a modern take on a blacksmith. You see in the next few years spare parts for modern industrial machinery will be in more demand as people choose to repair rather than replace. Set your self up with a lathe, drills, presses, a smelter and some way of powering all these things that are off grid. As things decline you will move into a traditional blacksmith role. Be able to fabricate a part as needed.

Bootmaker. People need shoes.

Junk Collector. It doesn't sound nice but you can often pick up some very interesting things beside the road. I picked up a 100 year old oak table that I restored.

I would be wary of food production, my thoughts are that it isn't going to be a long term job as people will soon enough start to grow their own, and historically most farmers don't profit as much as the middle man.

Middle Man. People will still need to move things from one place to another. If you are a people person, establish relationships with farmers, and junk collectors.

I would agree that the future is very uncertain but I am not sure of the timeline. Don't assume you need to do this too quickly.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
I do, and will still farm...

...as the farmer is the first one fed. farmers are often(at least the ones I know)more efficient with defense and woodland tactics. The thought that the weekend warriors,now marauding masses could come into rural southside VA and take whatever they wantfrom defenseleess farmers gives me cause to shiver. Farming isn't the oldest proffessiion but its close. 

robie a most reluctant typisset 

Jbarney's picture
Jbarney
Thanks for the posts

I am not even talking about something on a community scale, just wanted to explore the ideas as far as opportunities go. 

Local farming will have enormous advantages as people will need to eat.  Driving will be restricted, but even locals should have enough resources to get around to area farms.  Those people who already have animals and food production will be in a good situation.

Bike Shops?  Wood Pellet producers?

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
In my

fantasies, we would have a tannery, and metal/blacksmith in my area. Our farm goes thru alot of beeves,sheep,swine and goats each year. these hides woudl be useful. Being passionate about husbandry, of the land and its fauna, i've not devoted sufficient time to metal smithing other than crude welding and machining. 

FAlley's picture
FAlley
Public Transit, Low-End Private Security

As oil gets more expensive, people will still need to get around. Having something as simple as a van, and arranging to regularly commute people to different places in a city/town (for profit) is a worthwhile endeavor now, and will become more so as people become less able to regularly afford their own gasoline/cars.

As crime goes up, having your own small-scale security company to post men (hireable for small wages) on city blocks/town corners (for a charge from locals) would be worthwhile. This would be more in the future market, though.

MrEnergyCzar's picture
MrEnergyCzar
Peak Oil employment video...

I made a short video about jobs after Peak Oil.....  also, living debt free and below you means is one of the best Prep moves you can do....

MrEnergyCzar

Jbarney's picture
Jbarney
Land,Wood,Food

I keep thinking back to some of CM's comments about farmland, forests, and land in general. At some point in time I gotta take enough time from work and research where pellet companies get their scrap wood from.  I suppose step one would be owning land.  I visited the websites of a couple of wood pellet producers and apparently they basically buy scrap wood.  I wonder how much they use.  Just thinking out loud.  Feel free to laugh.  ;)

Nate's picture
Nate
Jbarney, Thank you for

Jbarney,

Thank you for starting this thread.  I'm suprised (and troubled) that there are so few contributors.

Jbarney wrote:

I keep thinking back to some of CM's comments about farmland, forests, and land in general. At some point in time I gotta take enough time from work and research where pellet companies get their scrap wood from.  I suppose step one would be owning land.  I visited the websites of a couple of wood pellet producers and apparently they basically buy scrap wood.  I wonder how much they use.  Just thinking out loud.  Feel free to laugh.  ;) 

Laugh?  Don't think so. Great idea!  I have thought about this and here are my thoughts:

1) Local ranchers shred almond and walnut prunings and I have often wondered about making pressed firewood logs or wood pellets.  The equipment needed to do the shredding could easily be modified to capture the wood and pellet producers would have a high BTU product.

2) I've had the local tree pruner drop 2 loads of chipped product off and used in my garden.  He told me he is charged to dump this "waste". Why not use as pellet feedstock?

Jbarney - you are on to something.

Nate

Jim H's picture
Jim H
Jbarney most certainly is onto something....

http://www.makeyourownpellets.com/

seems like a pretty low cost of entry to being making your own pellets....

Sounds like a great local business.. something where the cost of shipping (in future post peak oil) is exhorbitant... and hence new opportunities for locally distributed production emerge.  

MrEnergyCzar's picture
MrEnergyCzar
interesting regarding making your own pellets...

I heard one of the issues is you have to dry them and it's not worth it unless you sell it as well as use it.  Great idea for when home heating oil doubles...

MrEnergyCzar 

Jbarney's picture
Jbarney
Thanks

Jim,

Thanks for posting the links about the pellet production.   In my research I think I stumbled along those as well, or other pages that offered similiar start up materials.   This is just an idea, but as CM has said, at the very least the Fed bought us some time after 2008.  With the time that we have remaining (months?, Years?) it is just responsible to explore ways to profit/create jobs from the coming crisis.  Perhaps if enough of us start thinking along these lines, the transition will not be as difficult in some places.

I want to thank those of you who have responded.  I just may try to do something with the small pellet machines.

Living up here on Lake Champlain, I have also thought that a boat business selling sailboats/sails/oars, etc, would be interesting long term.  I have to keep in mind that the price of gas may not skyrocket in a peak oil world as fast as many of us fear, and may be accessable for people for many years to come.  But free wind energy vs expensive and rising gas prices....hhhmmmm....

Peace guys,

Jason

syed2024's picture
syed2024
What Business To Start

Personally, I don't see the need to ponder what business to start too much these days. The reason being is the potential debt you have to get yourself into to even start to realise a traditional business. A lot of people get the idea on opening a shop or a cafe but don't realise the horrendous expense that such venture involve.

What Business To Start

dingalls's picture
dingalls
healthcare

I think a hugely underrated need will be people who know basic health care techniques.  

I am a midwife, and this will be a large area of need one day as well.  Most OB/GYNs in this country have never (and I mean never) seen a normal birth.  Meaning a birth that has no common interferences to "facilitate" birth.

Even knowledge of medicinal plants and herbs will be very useful.

benbarnett's picture
benbarnett
Business that are good to

Business that are good to start are furniture and woodworking, food and or real estate. These are great businesses that always have successful story. But starting a business needs several aspect to understand, one of them is the business and company naming or branding, try click here, it is about books of business naming and management, this is what I am using before I started building my 2 years old door and windows shop.

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Branding a product

Benbarnett,

My boyfriend and I are starting a small business and found a name but after clicking on your link the name is missing a few of the SMILE. Just with that 2.5 minute video I found the brand name. Now let 's get the graphic artist work on that.

Thank you !!!

NN

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
What a question. I was

What a question. I was thinking robot repair, but there will probably be robots to do that. Then I thought, well somebody will have to repair the robots that repair the robots. Anyway, it triggered my OCD, so I had to stop after several reiterations.

Mending  sails for sailing vessels. This is patchy, difficult and random work that robots may find difficult. Anything to do with repair that can't easily be done elsewhere. Boat repair. They are constantly breaking down. Installing state of the art solar panels. Installing stuff already fabricated or tooled?

Agencies that provide care and comfort for the elderly. There will be lots of them.

Creating fish ponds on farm land for affordable protein.

Ostrich farms

marijuana operations

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments