New Year's Resolutions 2010

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
mooselick7's picture
mooselick7
New Year's Resolutions 2010

The tradition of New Year's resolutions has been a way for me to focus on outcomes and set my intentions for the future.  I have practiced this tradition since my teens and 30 years of experience has taught me that it works only if you are honest, realistic and diligent. 

Many folks make be a long and arduous list but I prefer to keep the list short with just 3 to 5 items so I can remember them and quite frankly to be successful.   I also keep them FUN!  If my resolution is too lose 20 lbs by dieting and exercise then I will fail - because where is the fun in that.  If my resolution is go rollerblading once a day and eat only vegetables, fruits and meats then I can find the some fun in that.

I put these resolutions on a wallet sized card, laminate it with the packing tape and put it in my wallet.   From time to time, I check them and honestly evaluate my progress.  I always make them measurable, tangible and, of course, since I have a year to achieve them they are time dependent. 

Here are my resolutions from last year and my progress italized:

-  Spend 14 hr/wk engaged with family.   My job took me on the road quite a bit but we spent some quality vacation time and home time in between.

-  Earn a black belt in mixed martial arts.   Learn a cane form.  After 9 years of maritial arts, I finally earned a black belt in Oct.   I started learning a tonfa form. 

- Refine my archery accuracy:  be able to put 9 out of 10 arrows in a 9 inch diameter bulleye at 60 yards.  Mission accomplished.  There is an overpopulation of deer in my area and this skill will allow me to extend my available time to hunt.

- Install a greenhouse.  I put up a 22 ft x 48 ft commerical kit.  The framework is up.  The ends are built.  I just need to install the film over the top.

- Install a wood stove for backup.  We have one wood stove for the basement and we just purchased a fireplace insert for the living area. 

Take the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners test and earn a certification.  Never took the test.  Dang it!

Here are my resolutions for 2010:

- Spend weekends with family.  Do at least one meaningful, fun activity with them each week.

- Earn a green belt in Judo.  Learn the tonfa form completely and compete in it.

- Have a successful big game archery hunt. Learn to reload my own ammo.

- Finish the greenhouse.  Put up a vegetable garden in it.  Raise 4 chickens for eggs and some meat rabbits.

- Take the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners test and earn a certification.

So, there you have my resolutions.  Let's hear yours!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

mooselick7's picture
mooselick7
Re: New Year's Resolutions 2010

I should add that the theme for my resolutions in recent years is to improve RESILIENCE in this changing world.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

mooselick, I love your idea for this thread.  I want to think a little on it a bit, and then plan to submit my own resolutions. 

I also want to know if you bottle and sell your energy?  Wow, you packed a lot into this last year!!  I'd barter one of my coffee plants for that kind of "go"!

-pinecarr

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Awesome idea for a thread!

Martialism and Fitness
- Develope a ground game and get some hands on.
- Develope a better edged weapons profile.
- Get back into a solid workout Routine and increase grip, upper body and leg strength.
- Maintain Pistol and Rifle skills, work towards greater fluidity and accuracy.
- Re-take ECQC (http://www.shivworks.com/pdf/ECQC%20Course%20overview%20.pdf)
- Improve my run time and start swimming again
- Get some Kettlebells and work on core conditioning
- Get more time on the mat and in force on force.

Personal and Professional
- Finish my Associates.
- Get into Pre-Medical in the Fall.
- View Mathematics as a challenge rather than a chore.
- Spend more time with my family.
- Spend more time on the mountains.
- Do not miss Spring Salmon Season

Revivalism (Survivalism mixed with the old world skills)
- Build the chicken coop and raise some chickens
- Clear land and plant the garden
- Stock the Woodshed
- Fix the deck
- Rebuild the Greenhouse

Bad habits
- Make the most out of every day
- Stop getting Injured
- Get consistent.

Cheers, good riddence to 2009 and to a prosperous 2010!
Aaron

mooselick7's picture
mooselick7

Honestly, it is a curse.  No rest for the wicked...Wink

mooselick7's picture
mooselick7

Aaron:

Great list!  Measurable and fun - at least to you and I anyway.  As an professional engineer, I miss the pure conciseness of mathematics - I wish the real world would follow logic and all those simplifying assumptions.

Martialism:  I'd hate to be on the wrong side of you.

You are on your way to greater resilience!

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

I'm doing this (too) quickly (must...get...nap!...before NYE gathering), but:

1.  Raise chickens for eggs.

2.  Sell the house (get our hands on our equity, adds to our flexibility and makes us available for collaborative property owning).

3.  Take the Big Step on the community front:  form a group, buy land (developed or no) that'll support our vision of highly localized and interconnected group of 10-40 individuals with complementary skillsets that're on the same page as far as What It Is.  (yes, I know, this is probably a 3-year project, but dangit I'm an ambitious [and prolly arrogant] d00d [fool])...

4.  Continue to spread the Gospel According to Chris.

5.  Have minor surgery to remove bone spurs from top of the 'knuckle' of the big toe.  These prevent me from comfortably walking/running long distances, which impacts my life in a lot of ways (which would be magnified in a post-Fan world).  I've been dragging my feet on this (sorry) for years...

There are no doubt another dozen things I'll think of later...

Happy New Year everyone (and for the pirates out there:  Happy New Yarrrr!) -- Sager

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

I am such a goal-oriented person that I always have lots of projects in the works, at all times. This used to make me sad on New Year's Day as I had no specific "resolutions." Well, no longer. I decided I can share a snapshot of all the things I am working on and call it a list of New Year's Resolutions. Plus, I can do a year in review to see how I measured up to what I set out to accomplish.

2009 was a year of major change for me. In 2008 I was at the top of my career, in the greater NYC area, but lonely and concerned about the failing economy. In 2009 I remarried--at the age of 54!--and moved six states away to a semi-rural area where I can maybe work but definitely live more simply. 

My list is usually broken down into categories that I find useful, and you may find this method helpful, too.

Education
Starting 2009 getting a masters degree was still on hold due to the ecomomy. I opted to work on a professional license in case I can get a new job in my field. I qualified for it, which was a lot of paperwork, and got the study materials and studied. All I need to do is spend $250 (out of my IRA) and take a test and that's done. Any money I make will go toward getting ready for SHTF things. I'm self educating in areas like solar power, regional gardening issues, and reaquainting myself with skills like canning and sewing.

Career
When 2009 started I was creeping up on the 10-year mark with the consulting safety firm I worked for, grateful to have a good job. By the end of the year I'd quit and moved to a semi-rural area, because I saw the SHTF writing on the wall. I'm still applying for jobs and still trying to better myself, but unemployment is daunting, even with my rare skills. It feels strange to be a 'dependent' but I am using all my spare time to get us off the grid and sustainable while I look for work.The worst thing that could happen is that we spend less money on electricity and veggies and go greener, right?

Finances
At the start of 2009 all of my bills, and I do mean all, were paid off: car, college loan, creidt cards, everything. Last year I resolved to save but the inflation rate made that impossible (and who do they think they are kidding with a 3-4% official inflation rate? Sorry, not buying it.) My plan for 2010 is to take some of my retirtement money out of my IRA and invest it in making our home more secure, energy efficcient, and off the grid. My contribution to our finances, at the moment, is planning my Square Foot Garden and pricing efficient fireplace insert stoves.

Family
I became a grandmother in early 2009. While it was wrenching, I moved away from my grandson and his parents in NY and am now much closer to my brother, my sister, and my other two sons. I also married into a huge, intelligent, old-fashioned clan that has farm land and lots of old-fashioned skills and equipment. In 2010 these new local family members and my husband and I need to get the Cm message out and do what we each can, where we are.

Hobbies 
I love books, and have a huge collection. My extensive how-to library is probably going to become a post SHTF asset, and I can see myself teaching English as needed. I am also an expericenced gardener and am busily planning a SF garden that will support us and help the commuity. I have books on how to garden and a small seed bank. My step daughter's hobby is as an herbalist: she can make toothpaste and mediciines and god knows what else from local, natural materials. She is also a fine impromptu hostess and is happily planning our first neighborhood meeting. My husband's hobby is fixing computers, electronics and other mechanical decvices. He sees those as barterable skills, like when our local tree surgeon maybe trades him a computer repair for a stump grinding. (At the momement he is tuning our piano - he's amazing.)

Health
I married a man as health-conscious as I was. I make sure he eats healthy food, takes vitamins (or gets them from natural sources) and gets enough rest. We're active. He's experienced in water purifucation and has a nice pantry started. We are making a shift to less meat and more veggies for health and budget, and so that a post SHTF diet will not be such a shock. And we are stockpiling medicines like aspirin, Imodium, Benedry and such.

Relationships
At the start of 2009 I was alone, but looking for a husband. I had been looking for the right man, actively, for over THREE YEARS, and I found him - 600 miles away, via the internet! So in June married a debt-free man with a paid off house, property and the right attitude. We have made inroads with meeting the local community. For 2010 we intend to get a big SF garden started and become a gardening resource for the community. Local friends and neighbors; they may turn out to be the most important relationships of all.

I have a huge list of details on how to accomplish our self sufficiency and community, which I will not burden you with here. But it feels fantastic to have plans and be working on them. You feel less like a victim, yanno?

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

pinecarr wrote:
  I also want to know if you bottle and sell your energy?  Wow, you packed a lot into this last year!!  I'd barter one of my coffee plants for that kind of "go"!

mooselick7 wrote:
  Honestly, it is a curse.  No rest for the wicked...Wink

Heck, Mooselick, as if you have to be high-energy to be wicked and get no rest! ;)

That actually leads into my resolutions, such as they are.  I liked Mooselick's idea of having theme, and so went for "building a stronger/healthier foundation for my life".  I also need to keep the list short if I want to succeed at it.  Here they are:

Invest more in family relationships

- Spend time each day actively engaging/interacting with the members of my family (shooting for mooselick's goal of 14 hours/week; going to have to trim blog time!)

- Learn to road bike (become good/strong enough to go pleasure-riding with DH, which is not as trivial as it may sound!)

Invest in my well-being (coming from a place of burn-out here)

- Get more sleep  on a regular basis (7+ hours/night)

- Get more excercise on a regular basis (5+ hours/week, a min. of 2 hrs/week outdoors)

Invest in my family's well-being

- Make home more pleasant (years of accumulated clutter: be-gone!)

- Make us more self-sufficient/resilient (complete orchard, add chickens and goats, extend garden, learn food preservation skills, make/follow prioritized prep list)

Happy New Years everyone!!

-pinecarr

mooselick7's picture
mooselick7

Now check you guys out.. You'all are making me feel like a lazy bum...Laughing

earthwise's picture
earthwise

OKAY, HERE'S MY RESOLUTIONS:

1) Not cry again if the Chargers get eliminated in the playoffs. Again.

2) Spend less time with my family. Yeah, you read that right. Unlike most commentators on this thread, I need to spend less time with the family. Let me explain. We live in a rural setting, my wife and I both work out of our home, and we home school the kids. We're together all the time.   I need a vacation!!!!! Alone!!!   (Ooops, hold on a minute. Someone just fell down; it's Band-Aid time............. Okay, I'm back.)  Anybody out there babysit? The pay is good (but you'll earn it!).

3) Seduce my secretary. (Confused? Re-read #2)

4) Sell something I produced on my farm. Until now, farming  was first just a hobby (gardening), then a food bill reducer, and now a back-up in a crisis/collapse. Now I'd like to get serious enough to sell something. Not turn a profit yet, just sell something instead of giving it away. First things first.

5) Get rid of my horses. The writings of Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms finally has me convinced that horses are useless on a farm despite popular misconceptions. They're a luxury, fun to ride, but they're a drain on the pocketbook as well as personal productivity.

6) Potty train my youngest son. My wife says he's not ready at 20 months old. I say if he's aware enough to pull turds out of his diaper and laughingly throw them at his brothers as they run away screaming, then he's aware enough to go to the can.

7) Not wait 'til the last minute to remember my wife's Christmas, birthday and Valentine's Day gifts.

guardia's picture
guardia

mooselick7 wrote:

Now check you guys out.. You'all are making me feel like a lazy bum...Laughing

Don't worry, you're not alone.. :)

My resolution, not in any way related to New Year, is to register to one of those organic farm organization (WWOOF for example) to learn how to grow food for myself and hopefully build a local network of contacts for starters... You know, physically speaking, I'm almost alone here. Everyone around me is so dumb! I need to find smart people or I'll go cuckoo

Samuel

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Quote:

Aaron:

Great list!  Measurable and fun - at least to you and I anyway.  As an professional engineer, I miss the pure conciseness of mathematics - I wish the real world would follow logic and all those simplifying assumptions.

Martialism:  I'd hate to be on the wrong side of you.

You are on your way to greater resilience!

Thanks for the kind words!
Cheers and Happy New Year!

Aaron 

John99's picture
John99

The major resolution is to renew efforts to wake the sheeple to the false money system and the ruling corportocracy. Discussed this with an old teacher and his suggestion is to add more humor to lighten the heavy message.Money mouth

Headless's picture
Headless

You've all inspired me; thus, here goes:

1. increae the challenge of my  morning routine: get up before noon at least twice a week;

2. reduce excess alcohol intake: cut back to the small bottle of Jack on Tuesdays and....uh....well, on Tuesdays;

3. give this exercise thing a go (you all sound so fond of it);

4. spend more time with people (my sheep seemed bored of my company and my  family left me);

5. improve my  targeting skills while spear fishing (I've found uses for the seal coats and dolphin fins, but my neighbors wont eat the meat);

6. be more considerate of my neighbors sleep time: stop watching Rambo while drunk, as I always end up strapping on the HK-21 and "taking down Hope (the town)" after midnight;

7. fix the Bobcat--again, and stop trying to take the shortcut to town across that damn stream (have to remember it's deeper than it looks at night);

8. Fix the holes in the roof (don't shoot an HK-21 straight up) or put some holes in the floor to let the rainwater outj;

9. Build a pill box around what's left of the satellite dish...HK-21;

10. lastly, stop dating women who are better shots than me, as I know when TSHTF, it's gonna be me or her.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Headless,

Were you Army by chance? ;)

I kid.

Aaron

mooselick7's picture
mooselick7

Headless:

LMAO  I wanna party with you, Dude! 

I'll bring the garand...

Mainland Company's picture
Mainland Company
Here I am

I would like to talk to you if you are interested in transportation hauls between Alaska, Missouri and Oregon. I have some products and personal items to move in preparedness for the big seizure.

My email address is mainland.alaska@gmail.com.  I would be interested in working out strategic trades too.

Thank-you,

Kathleen

iameurope's picture
iameurope
OMG, I have just found this

OMG, I have just found this thread while I was surfing the whole forum. So how did this resolutions actually work out for you guys?

I must admit that my resolutions for 2010 have worked out quite well. I got pregnant, I bought a dog, we started renovating the house to make it eco-friendlier, started my own blog and worked on this site doing some graphic design and I'm a freelancer and about to start my own business. I guess those are the happiest days of my entire life.

I hope you got things worked out as well as me Smile

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
how did those new year's resolutions work out?

Mine worked out just fine too., Of all the items on my list, only the professional license did not happen. I was kinda derailed by a hip replacement for a congenital defect, but better to get that out of the way NOW rather than be an invalid when TSHTF.

What sorts of progress did you make on the greener house, iameurope?

iameurope's picture
iameurope
we got a  photovoltaic

we got a  photovoltaic conversion system installed on our roof and at the moment we're planning on renovating our house's isolation because it's just soo bad. Slow but good progress I think...

earthwise's picture
earthwise
New Years Resolution scorecard

iameurope wrote:

OMG, I have just found this thread while I was surfing the whole forum. So how did this resolutions actually work out for you guys?

Well. let's see

earthwise wrote:

OKAY, HERE'S MY RESOLUTIONS:

1) Not cry again if the Chargers get eliminated in the playoffs. Again.

2) Spend less time with my family. Yeah, you read that right. Unlike most commentators on this thread, I need to spend less time with the family. Let me explain. We live in a rural setting, my wife and I both work out of our home, and we home school the kids. We're together all the time.   I need a vacation!!!!! Alone!!!   (Ooops, hold on a minute. Someone just fell down; it's Band-Aid time............. Okay, I'm back.)  Anybody out there babysit? The pay is good (but you'll earn it!).

3) Seduce my secretary. (Confused? Re-read #2)

4) Sell something I produced on my farm. Until now, farming  was first just a hobby (gardening), then a food bill reducer, and now a back-up in a crisis/collapse. Now I'd like to get serious enough to sell something. Not turn a profit yet, just sell something instead of giving it away. First things first.

5) Get rid of my horses. The writings of Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms finally has me convinced that horses are useless on a farm despite popular misconceptions. They're a luxury, fun to ride, but they're a drain on the pocketbook as well as personal productivity.

6) Potty train my youngest son. My wife says he's not ready at 20 months old. I say if he's aware enough to pull turds out of his diaper and laughingly throw them at his brothers as they run away screaming, then he's aware enough to go to the can.

7) Not wait 'til the last minute to remember my wife's Christmas, birthday and Valentine's Day gifts.

Okay,

#1   Failure, cried like a baby.

#2  I don't think that escaping reality by pretending that I'm in a vegetative coma counts, so failure here also.

#3 Woo-hoo! See #7

#4  Good news here. Been selling excess goat milk to some of the local families. They love it!  Still non-profit but, hey, it's a start.

#5  Four out of six horses gone. I'm putting this in the win column because even though the resolution was to sell them all, I decided to keep these two, and feeding two is much cheaper and easier than feeding six.

#6 Looks like my wife was right on this one. A guy can dream, can't he?

#7 I'm a hero! Thank you Pro Flowers, Shari's Berries, and Pajamagram! 

Four out of seven; could be worse.

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Earthwise You are truely

Earthwise

You are truely hilarious!  Thanks for the much needed laughs.

Travlin 

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
2010 Goals - How I did

Quote:

1. Martialism and Fitness
1a. Develope a ground game and get some hands on.
1b. Develope a better edged weapons profile.
1c. Get back into a solid workout Routine and increase grip, upper body and leg strength.
1d. Maintain Pistol and Rifle skills, work towards greater fluidity and accuracy.
1e. Re-take ECQC (http://www.shivworks.com/pdf/ECQC%20Course%20overview%20.pdf)
1f. Improve my run time and start swimming again
1g. Get some Kettlebells and work on core conditioning
1h. Get more time on the mat and in force on force.

Personal and Professional
2a. Finish my Associates.
2b. Get into Pre-Medical in the Fall.
2c. View Mathematics as a challenge rather than a chore.
2d. Spend more time with my family.
2e. Spend more time on the mountains.
2f. Do not miss Spring Salmon Season

Revivalism (Survivalism mixed with the old world skills)
3a. Build the chicken coop and raise some chickens
3b. Clear land and plant the garden
3c. Stock the Woodshed
3d. Fix the deck
3f. Rebuild the Greenhouse

Bad habits
4a. Make the most out of every day
4b. Stop getting Injured
4c. Get consistent.

1. Did ok here, didn't make it to ECQC or start swimming, but I did get some more time with hands on, increased my knowledge on a variety of weapons systems and hand to hand work, and had a fairly consistent workout routine going.

2. Way too optimistic. Got one of my associates knocked out, definitely changed my outlook on Math and had some great adventures.
Missed spring salmon season and very little family time, which is probably ok.

3. Took huge steps back here. Now have no land or space for any of the above.

4. A and C worked out. Got a broken rib again from the most recent training course as I type.

Cheers,
Aaron 

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Allrighty...how did I do in

Allrighty...how did I do in 2010?

SagerXX wrote:

1.  Raise chickens for eggs.

FAIL.  We're trying to sell our house, and evidently a chicken coop adds negative value to one's house.  I see it differently, but this is one battle I had to concede to the Wifely Unit.  However, a friend in our community had her boyfriend build her a chicken house last month and her little chicks will be headed outside soon.  As she wrote in an e-mail the other day:  "Omelets by end of Summer!"  So, FAIL on this one, but I take some solace in the fact that someone in our community is doing it

SagerXX wrote:

2.  Sell the house (get our hands on our equity, adds to our flexibility and makes us available for collaborative property owning).

As you may have inferred from the previous item:  FAIL on this one, too.  Seems to me that if it doesn't happen in the next few months, it ain't gonna happen.  That would complicate some things but would make some other things possible (like raising chickens fr'instance)...

SagerXX wrote:

3.  Take the Big Step on the community front:  form a group, buy land (developed or no) that'll support our vision of highly localized and interconnected group of 10-40 individuals with complementary skillsets that're on the same page as far as What It Is.  (yes, I know, this is probably a 3-year project, but dangit I'm an ambitious [and prolly arrogant] d00d [fool])...

FAIL.  Damnit, is this an Unrealistic Expectations thing?  Undecided  I guess I'll give myself a little bit of partial credit as I have been able to foster consciousness of the 3Es/CC/etc. among our community which is getting folks to take action in their various ways (helped some folks store food, helped three people make their first PM buys, and there's that chicken thang from Item 1.  But in terms of high localization (the folks I'd like to have involved live in an area that must stretch over 500 square miles [20x25?]) and overt collaboration, FAIL.   

SagerXX wrote:

4.  Continue to spread the Gospel According to Chris.

WINNING!

SagerXX wrote:

5.  Have minor surgery to remove bone spurs from top of the 'knuckle' of the big toe.  These prevent me from comfortably walking/running long distances, which impacts my life in a lot of ways (which would be magnified in a post-Fan world).  I've been dragging my feet on this (sorry) for years...

FAIL.  Bit of a Catch-22 sitch on this item, as we are stretched too tightly w/our businesses for me to take a month or so off and this surgery has you totally off your feet at least that long.

SagerXX wrote:

There are no doubt another dozen things I'll think of later...

Too bad I didn't think of a dozen more -- because I would've gotten at least one more WIN.  Smile

VIVA -- Sager

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments