Moving from California...Any suggestion for other states?

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
YoungEntrepreneur's picture
YoungEntrepreneur
Moving from California...Any suggestion for other states?

California is a basket case and set to go down hard sooner rather than later. L.A. is just not my style. Did not choose it, was simply raised here. I should have left years ago. It was not easy selling my property without taking a big hit. Finally done liquidating my stuff here and my lease is up at the end of the year.

Am looking for a business friendly state with a good quality of life. Nicer weather always helps but I can learn to deal with real winters (we don't have those in Southern California) if the compensating factors are worthwhile. Want to ideally live within 2 hours driving distance of a desirable Metropolitan Area and a major international airport. Single guy, mostly about business, having some fun and living a healthy outdoor lifestyle. Somewhere where I can find good farmland (multiple acre property) at a reasonable price and build a sustainable lifestyle is also a BIG plus.

Not concerned with finding a job as I operate my business online, conduct business through phone and video chat consulting and travel quite often to strategic business meetings and events. Upon future growth beyond simply using technology, virtual assistants and interns I may       set-up a small brick and mortar office location with actual employees (more likely pay them salary as independent contractors).  

Here's my short list of states (in no particulr order) that I am considering for residency. Corporate formation could be anywhere as you typically do not need to live in the state you form your company in. I plan to move early next year. Would really appreciate any feedback and suggestions from people who have lived and/or operated businesses in the following states. Thanks in advance!

YE

STATE CANDIDATES

1. Colorado
  2. North & South Carolina
  3. Texas
  4. Florida
  5. Nevada
  6. Wyoming
  7. Georgia
  8. New Hampshire
  9. Utah
  10. Washington
  11. Tenessee
  12. Kentucky
robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
Not listing

Virginia? hum. It meets all your requests.

Robie

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
my two cents

YE, I moved to SC mainly to marry my sweetheart, but one reason I chose him was that he lived here. I do not miss NY at all. Like you, I was raised in a non-buiness-friendly state because my parents were there. I could see the handwriting on the wall and yes, CA s in for a similar drubbing. You need to get out - glad you are finally in a position to do so.

Whatever state you choose, City Data is your friend. Use it to help you decide on whatever towns you are researching.

There is another thread running at the moment on which states have the most freedom. I'm also familiar with NH, which was rated very high but has a short growing season, but prefer SC. Let me explain why.

You say you want to be near a major Airport and a nice city. The three big SC cities in or near decent airports are Charleston SC, Aiken, SC  (near the airport at Augusta GA), and Rock Hill SC - which is right on top of Charlotte NC, just over the border.  Or you could choose an equidistant point from all three airports near the nicest, smallest, most culturally cool city in the Carolinas: Columbia SC. That's where we are, seven miles outside of Columbia on the edge of farm land in semi-rural suburbs. We are 1.5 hours by car from Augusta, two hours each from Charlotte and Charleston - so we have our choice of flights. (Yes Columbia has an airport, but it hardly goes anywhere. That's what I get for being in such a small state capitol area.)

I'd not want to live near Aiken, as that is right on top of the Savannah River nuke plant. Charlotte NC and its environs (like Rock Hill) are way too populous for me. Ditto Charleston - too populous, not enough farm land. (Here is an "SC farm land for sale" link, btw). If I wanted a nice quiet area near Columbia, with lots of land for farming, I'd choose somewhere like Sandy Ridge (right on I-20 - I learned to shoot at a rifle range there and they have a Starbucks roasting plant), Pelion (in the middle of nowhere and half an hour southwest of me, but with a prepper community I am just plugging into), or the Chapin SC area northwest of Columbia and off of I-26 (more populous, but still great farm country). These are all in the Carolina Midlands. It's a well-watered land, with lots of lakes and streams and ponds.

The Pee Dee basin is another well-watered area. This is the region of the Greater and Lesser PeeDee Rivers - between the Lowlands--the Atlantic coast--and the Midlands. I'd avoid anything along I-95, which willl proably be full of refugees in a severe crash, but I was impressed with Kingstree - nice grain elevator there, closer to Charleston than the other choices.

Doug's picture
Doug
New Hampshire

Of the states on your list, I would pick New Hampshire.  Beautiful country with short drives to Mountains, seashore, Boston and Cape Cod.  Live Free or Die.  Its an old part of the country where original settlement patterns are still obvious and conducive to life with fewer cars.  Also, the northeast is a hotbed of CSAs and alternative communities.  Ask Chris, he's not far away.

Doug

Septimus's picture
Septimus
Where to move

To give you an off the wall answer based on your criteria:

New Zealand if you meet the immigratrion criteria as NZ meets your criteria. Business friendly, great farm land and easy to be near a major city. Tax rate is as low or lower than most places in the U.S. if you consider the state and local income taxes possible in the U.S., the social security tax (espically if you are self employed), etc. Could be great if your location has no bearing on your on-line business.

I have been in Wellington since November 2010 and love it, the county and the people.

Cheers,

Poet's picture
Poet
Consider The Pacific Northwest

I'm more amenable to the Pacific Northwest if you don't really have a particular tie to one place or another.

One possibility is living in Washington (no State Income Tax) and shopping in Oregon (no State Sales Tax).

Here's some maps I had posted in a similar thread:
http://www.peakprosperity.com/comment/113668#comment-113668

Poet

YoungEntrepreneur
Re: Robie Robinson (Virginia)

Yes, in fact I have heard some good things about Virginia. Good for business and nice quality of life.

However, it is generally on the pricier side (higher cost of living), certainly can have very rough winters and perhaps a little too close to or in the middle of many of those big northeast MSAs, government centers, military complexes, federal law enforement agencies, etc... I feel they would react quite harshly to significantly deteriorating events. A little to close to that northeast congestion. If I can avoid it I'd rather not be anywhere close to the Northeast or too far up north period. New Hamphire is likely the only possible exception.

Honestly, I don't know much about Virginia as it did not stand out to me as one of my top destinations at first. Open to learning more about it though. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

YE

YoungEntrepreneur
Re: Doug and New Hampshire

Hey Doug,

Yes, New Hampshire is likely the only place I would even consider in the Northeast. The state has its act far more together than many other areas in terms of how business friendly it is the role gov't plays in citizens' daily lives and activities.

Heard that too, many sustainable living communities in that area.

Generally speaking, I'd rather avoid the northeast due to severe weather and the congestion being near all the big cities in that part of the country (centered around a relatively small area). NH is worth considering though. Surprised why more peope have not settled there yet. Perhaps a bit below the radar still.

Thanks for your input.

YE

txgirl69's picture
txgirl69
My .02

Don't come to Washington. The weather is absolutely terrible 9 months of the year, summer is about a month....businesses have it rough here - in part due to unions......eventually they will pass a state income tax, I can see it now..... what have I missed?

I'll stop there because I don't want to offend anyone.

The only reason I'm here, is because the man I love is here (and he is very good to me). Period. Otherwise, I would walk away from everything I have, today, and be back home in Texas, tomorrow.

Rita

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
Airports?

I can't believe airports are on your list....  Aviation will be the first major victim of Peak Oil, and real soon IMO.

I don't think you understand the CC yet.

Go do it again.

Mike

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Stay Away From Virginia.....

YoungEntrepreneur wrote:

Yes, in fact I have heard some good things about Virginia. Good for business and nice quality of life.

However, it is generally on the pricier side (higher cost of living), certainly can have very rough winters and perhaps a little too close to or in the middle of many of those big northeast MSAs, government centers, military complexes, federal law enforement agencies, etc... I feel they would react quite harshly to significantly deteriorating events. A little to close to that northeast congestion. If I can avoid it I'd rather not be anywhere close to the Northeast or too far up north period. New Hamphire is likely the only possible exception.

Honestly, I don't know much about Virginia as it did not stand out to me as one of my top destinations at first. Open to learning more about it though. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

YE

YE -

Northern Virginia (Alexandria, Springfield, anywhere near DC) is not "Virginia."  Take 66W or 29S out of DC for 30 minutes and you wouldn't even know the cesspool of DC proper existed.  Fortunately, NOVA is where the "pricey" nonsense is in vogue and is its own bubble of insanity.  Tidewater (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton) is the other big population concentration with a lot of military bases (Langley AFB, Norfolk Naval Base, Oceana Naval Air Station, Little Creek Amphibious Base, Fort Eustis), but you only need to drive for about 20 minutes and you can be in the Great Dismal Swamp.

The Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Mountains are horrible places to live.  We don't like the mild winters on the eastern snow shade side of the mountains and it really does suck to have our gardens grow as well as they do for a 24-26 week growing season.  The abundance of CSAs starting in Suffolk and Smithfield and all points west are also bothersome.  Too much good food to choose from to make it worth it.  And whoever heard of trading home grown fruit, veggies, dairy products, meat and eggs at the farmer's markets in every other town?  Sheesh!

Further west out past Petersburg towards Patrick and Floyd County, you might even have to put up with bold and nosy neighbors who wave at you as you drive around town.  Imagine that?

There's also a bunch of wild eyed, Second Amendment folks running around.  Well, what would you expect from a "shall issue" state?

We really hated the negative publicity stirred up by that recent report that came out ranking Virginia #9 on the list of states with the most personal and economic freedoms....  http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011

So trust me, I'm doing you a favor by saying you should stay away from Virginia. 

YoungEntrepreneur
Re: Septimus & New Zealand

Great to hear from you Septimus.

Hear many good things about New Zealand. In fact, ultimately I plan to relocate outside the US and split my time up between an international locaton and somewhere in the US if it makes sense. I've been primarily looking at several areas in South America though.

Can't say I know a whole lot about New Zealand but the little info I have run across has been quite interesting and positive. I have always wanted to visit both Australia and New Zealand. 

Funny, I was just catching part of a HGTV International episode about a couple from New Zealand moving to an island off the coast called the "Barrier or something like that" in order to live "off the grid".

Keep in touch. Would love to hear more about NZ. Thanks!

YE

YoungEntrepreneur
Re: DTM and airports...

Well, I understand your point but from now until then I will likely need to fly at least occasionally. In fact, although my business does not 100% require it I am better off if I can fly and meet certain people in person. Business networking, valuable relationships and connections and major agreements/joint ventures are best executed in person whenever possible. 

I don't need to be real close to a major airport but at least within a couple of hours from something that flies to most major cities, including international.

What, you live in the boonies away from everything or something? I'm sure even Chris M. flies to certain important conferences, events and meetings. Dude, you can't just go overboard with everything. Even the prep process may involve some flying around to meet people, learn some things and/or purchase others.

Yes, once peak oil hits flying will be greatly impacted but there are some trips are worthwhile.

YE 

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote: So

Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

So trust me, I'm doing you a favor by saying you should stay away from Virginia. 

Another reason to stay away is Dogs has his own Fukushima Chili factory going in Eastern VA...very radioactive stuff!

YoungEntrepreneur
txgirl69 and Washington

Washington was definitely towards the bottom of my list. Yes, I've heard about the weather.

It's mostly on the list due to taxes and certain business incentives. Plus it's on the coast and bordering Canada with no sales tax Oregon right below. Easy trip into beautiful Vancouver as well.

Texas is typically high on everybody's list but if possible I want to avoid the real hot and humid weather but it's not a deal breaker.

Interesting to hear some less than positive business opinions on Washington. Thanks.

YE 

YoungEntrepreneur
Dogs in a Pile and Virginia...

Very funny Dogs. Got it!

Perhaps I really should completely disregard Virginia,LOL.

I was there once for a while during a real bad winter storm in Quantico, a hint about my background.

I saw that Mercatur report come out a while ago. Pretty interesting. The authors were interviewed by Peter Schiff on his radio show.

Also, have a friend that recently moved to Portsmouth, New Hampshire (ranked #1 in their index) and really loves it there. Different strokes for different folks.

Appreciate your input as always! Thanks.

YE

YoungEntrepreneur
Poet and the Pacific Northwest

Nope, no ties to any one place.

I've enabled myself to be free of any geographical restrictions and attachments aside from my preferences.

Yes, I'm familair with Washington's busisness and tax positives and the Oregon Sales Tax exemption. That's primarily why it's on this list. The weather does seem to suck though but I guess that's just one consideration. I hear different things about what folks in general are like up there.

Not sure how advantageous the business environment there would be for a small company. Big business and small business have entirely different criteria for what benefits them the most.

I'll check out the maps you posted. Thanks.

I am kind of curious about Idaho though.

YE

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
YoungEntrepreneur

YoungEntrepreneur wrote:
What, you live in the boonies away from everything or something? I'm sure even Chris M. flies to certain important conferences, events and meetings. Dude, you can't just go overboard with everything. Even the prep process may involve some flying around to meet people, learn some things and/or purchase others.

Yes, once peak oil hits flying will be greatly impacted but there are some trips are worthwhile.

YE

Peak Oil IS here YE....  exactly why do you think everything around us is falling over?  Go back to the CC and do the PO chapters again and seriously look at those green and red charts in there...  they are the crux of everything I'm on about.  I fear you simply don't get it.

Since I started living on this site, some THIRTY airlines have collapsed.......  Our own QANTAS here in Australia is in deep doodoos because the cost of fuel is hurting its bottom line, and it's threatening to move offshore to Asia.

Fuel shortages are expected to start happening as soon as next year.  There was a thread about it here somewhere recently...  It seems to me you don't realise just how soon TSHWHTF oil wise.

And no I don't live in the boonies.  We recently flew to Tasmania to check the place out (that's where I want to move to - we do what we do because we still can!) but I fear I will be stuck here because I won't be ready to move in time before oil runs out in Australia......  or airlines shut their doors because the economy's gone down the toilet.  Not that I can't survive here, I just hate the hot weather.  Wanna buy a place where everything's ready for the crash?  we are 45 minutes from a regional airport, and less than two from an international one...

I expect to fly maybe one more time, IF the oil situation hangs in there long enough....  but I think my flying life is over .

The next twenty years.........

Mike

YoungEntrepreneur
Re: Safewrite and the Carolinas

Was just responding to you, clicked on the link and lost the post. Will get back to you later today.

Very interested in the Carolinas. Thanks.

YE

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Cack-a-lack

YoungEntrepreneur wrote:

Was just responding to you, clicked on the link and lost the post. Will get back to you later today.

Very interested in the Carolinas. Thanks.

YE

North Carolina is just like South Virginia with better pulled pork barbecue.  Anything west of Raleigh-Durham is superb.  West of Winston-Salem is superber....

There are many good reasons why Eustace Conway set up Turtle Island Preserve in NC.  

Only being an hour away from Galax, VA and the Fiddler's Convention helps.

jpitre's picture
jpitre
Idaho

Just happened to spend a few days near Burley/Rupert Idaho a couple of years ago - small farming community with all the things that go to make up a sustainable community. Good farmland, water appears plentiful, reasonable climate, strong community working and helping each other. Happened to break a spring hanger on my horse trailer in Rupert - was directed to a local farmer who does welding after hours - he promptly welded it up for me and when I asked how much, he responded "you've had enough trouble today, no charge". I did insist on paying and gave him $100 for his favorite charity. Met quite a few others there that were just great folks, and came to the conclusion that if we ever went looking for a place to settle down, that would be #1 on my list. I'd look for some land out of town a bit, close to the mountains there so as to have lots of water &  firewood as well as some farm acreage

Worth looking at in my opinion

Jim

Doug's picture
Doug
personal ops

Since I've moved around a bit in my life and have lived in and/or spent significant periods of time in some of the places mentioned so far, I will gratuitously give my opinions on some of them.  I don't really know much about business climates, so take that as a given.  The first thing I think of when thinking of anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon is that life can be really miserable without A/C.  A/C may be a bit scarce and/or expensive when energy goes up.  I was in the Navy in and around Norfolk before A/C became ubiquitous and I was miserable most of the year.  Up where DIAP lives is probably more bearable, and there is no question the western part of the state is beautiful with lots of friendly folk (providing you don't bring up certain subjects).  BTW, you can definitely escape the urban/suburban sprawl in Dismal Swamp.  Very interesting if you like wetlands (I do).

Speaking of Va., some people I know were visiting from the Richmond area the last couple weeks.  Their biggest complaint was the heat. ttfwiw.

I understand Texasgirl's objection to Washington state.  Those two states are polar opposites, so if you like one you'll probably hate the other.  I lived in Washington, on both sides of the Cascades, at different times.  If I were ever to leave the northeast, it would be to Washington or Oregon.  If you're west of the mountains, there are lots of microclimates, like in the rain shadow of the Olympics, where the rain isn't so pervasive.  The mountains are spectacular and the growing climate cannot be beat.  East of the mountains there are parts of the state that are nearly desert, also beautiful.  Lots of farming, all dependent on irrigation.  You are close to Idaho in that area, sometimes called the Inland Empire.  Politically very conservative, the Idaho mountains are known as a refuge for the hardcore survivalists.  They are looking less kooky all the time.

That's my 2 cents, fwiw.

Doug

SteveW's picture
SteveW
YoungEntrepreneur

YoungEntrepreneur wrote:

Washington was definitely towards the bottom of my list. Yes, I've heard about the weather.

The weather in the Pacific Northwest is largely a matter of one's prejudice and I can see why Texans would hate the weather.

OTOH as water becomes a scarce resource one can practically guarantee agriculture will still be possible in many locations with little, if any, irrigation.

YoungEntrepreneur
SteveW and Pacific Northwest weather

Yes, weather is very much a personal thing.

I personally love Southern California weather but without the smog in LA and general toxic/polluted environment.

The thing about the Pacific Northwest is the gloomy skies and constant rain. I can deal with cold but severe snow storms, constant rain, or perpetually gloomy skies really suck. Rain is good to a point and it's nice to at least have nice clear blue skies during the spring and summer, perhaps parts of fall.

I also hate extreme heat like in Southwestern Desert communities or constant heat and humidity like in much of Texas and Florida.

I plan to split my time in between two places eventually so I can plan around weather to an extent.

I agree, fresh water sources nearby, fishing and enough rain for agriculture will be important. That why I prefer the location with milder weather, not extreme cold like Northeast or extreme heat like parts of the southwest.

In the northwest Idaho was not on my list but perhaps worth checking out for weather and agriculture perspectives. A bit too much of not much going on state though. Outside of parts of Washington, much of the PacWest is lacking the types of attractions, services and amenities one would hope to at least be somewhat close to. Oh well, tradeoffs.

Thanks.

YE  

YoungEntrepreneur
Re: Doug and personal ops...

Yes, agree. The south and southeast can be pretty hot at times. It's actually the humidity that gets me.

If a AC a must then nothing that some efficiencies around the house with design, insulation and windows can't mitigate the cost of. Solar and Deisel power generators can help with energy. I think making your own deisel is huge if you can afford the help to do it so it does not rob you of too much time.

Yeah, DIAP contributed some interesting thoughts. Never heard of that dismal swamp area/thing. Will need to look into that.

Just curious, what kinds of subjects should one not bring up in the south/southeast? Obviously, growing up in CA we're allot more open to different things and perspectives, which I think is good more often than not. However, CA goes way overboard with much of it.

I'm definitely interested in exploring the Carolinas but have not given Virginia much thought despite hearing some good things about it.

Interesting you liked Washington so much. I've heard some nice things about living in Oregon but had not considered it as much due to high taxes (excluding the no sales tax bonus) and no other strong discernible attributes. May need to give it a further looksee as well.

Lots of traveling and flying around to so over the next few months in order to get a better feel for many of these places.

Idaho seems to come up more than I ever would have imagined. I guess some pluses there too.

This is not going to nearly as easy as I would have hoped. Lost of research left to do. I guess everyone has to figure out what is most important to them, make some compromises and go from there.

Honestly though, if you subscribe to a hardcore crash course event a great case can be made that nowhere in the US will be a great place and that even holding unto US citizenship would be ideal. You gotta start somewhere though.

One thing is for sure, Southern California is one the last places I would want to be for my interests.

Thanks!

YE

jturbo68's picture
jturbo68
Where in the US

Ill throw in a plug for Central Kentucky.

I call KY the North of the South, South of the North, West of the East and East of the West.  It is a reasonable mix of all.

Friendly People, but not hugely plugged into what is coming.

Heat and humidity that comes and goes during July and August and a dose of winter in January and Febuary.  Outside of those months, pretty moderate.

Reasonably good rainfall and nice rolling terrain. 

Less population density than the East and West Coast.

Eastern KY is Hilly and Rural, Central KY is more cosmopolitan.

aggrivated's picture
aggrivated
desirable metropolitan areas?

I endure a metropolitan area due to my business, but have not found a desirable one.  If you find one where vegetable gardens are legal and common in front yards I might be open to looking. Until then I want to live in a place where most residents can and do grow food for themselves and others.  

As for states, don't forget #11 on your list, Tennessee.  Good because of no personal income tax, mild winters (trades off with hotter summers & long growing season), nice folks especially in rural areas, and a history especially in the eastern part of not liking big government.  However, like most places in the US, 52% of the people in the state receive direct payments from either state or federal government.  Included in the  list are farmers and businesses who get paid from the federal coffers.   So, if the Uncle Sugar cookie crumbles, things could get testy for awhile.  Safewrite's advice on city data is good.  More importantly, get a list of places and as Winnie the Pooh did, go on an explore.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
not Kansas

If you are not a farmer or has something a farmer needs or wants  might as well go elsewhere LOL     Average 2 people per square mile  .. so it would be too big of a change for you .  Culture shock !!

FM

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: not Kansas

Hey!!

Don't besmirch the Great State of Kansas.

Yes it would be a culture shock.

YoungEntrepreneur
Johnny...

Don't worry, Kansas is not on my radar, LOL. Would be more than a culture shock, more like a major heart attack.

I get the whole prep thing but geeze, some type of civilized existence would be nice. At least one that is not completely removed from society.

I guess you could always have an off-grid existence in the middle of nowhere yet rent a little place in the city. Helps to mix it up a bit.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Follow up.....

YoungEntrepreneur wrote:

Yeah, DIAP contributed some interesting thoughts. Never heard of that dismal swamp area/thing. Will need to look into that.

Just curious, what kinds of subjects should one not bring up in the south/southeast? Obviously, growing up in CA we're allot more open to different things and perspectives, which I think is good more often than not. However, CA goes way overboard with much of it.

I'm definitely interested in exploring the Carolinas but have not given Virginia much thought despite hearing some good things about it.

YE -

Right now the Dismal Swamp is burning because of a lightning strike on 4 August.  Perfectly good waste of peat that could be better used for drying germinated barley that would then be rendered into, whisk...I mean biofuel additive.

What not to bring up? 

1. If anyone in the crowd has a Confederate flag tattooed on his or her neck,  under no circumstances should you bring up "The War of Northern Aggression"

Actually, you probably shouldn't talk to anyone, anywhere with a visible tattoo on their neck.....

2.  If you are anywhere near Charlottesville, you should not bring up college football - they don't know what it is.  Scott Stadium at UVA is a tornado shelter for the city - as no touchdowns will ever occur there.

3.  If you are anywhere near Blacksburg, you should not bring up "Mr. Jefferson's" university.  Unless you are going to talk about head to head results from item 2 above.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments