Important films, books or internet pages we all should study- Add your own

281 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Electronic Storage of Film's and Books off-line ...

Hi Mike,

The bigger and more diverse this thread gets, the more protective and nervous I become of it. Having already read the vast majority of these books, I understand there importance. To many here, the work of these author's had been lost to them until they found them here; little realising that there content is invaluable; the knowledge within them more valuable than gold ... 

I have a 320 gig hard drive that I can plug into any computer with a memory above Windows XP. It cost about US$90 in Hungary last year. All of the PDF books and films are stored in it where its been possible to pull them down off of the web. It's barely touched the capacity of this hard drive.

It's also useful in that it is extremely light, and I can fit it into the inside pocket of my jacket and take it to groups for lecture. I have the Crash Course, A Crude Awakening, A Farm For The Future, Home, Requiem For Detroit, etc, and an indexed library that I can draw from to back up what I'm saying instantly, powered by little more than 3 volts dc.

If I lost it however, I'd be needing industrial strength prozac and counselling!!!

Photoshot is a good way to save pages here at cm.com. I'm going to take time out to photoshot  The Wealth Gap and the Collapse of the U.S. over the next couple of weeks where time permits. If it doesn't take up too much memory, I'll see that I post you a copy as a gift. It'll be a thank you for all the good work and effort you put into it ...

I'm still quite a computer ludite, and if you can see a way to copy info using a lower memory draw than photoshot, let me know in advance ...

On a side-note, If the quality of your work here is anything to go by, I'll be most interested in a copy of your book when it's completed in September. I'm already sure that it will have a worthy place to rest on my bookshelf.

I've been meaning to post a reply regarding Mark Zug since you mentioned you were completing illustration work in it over two months ago. Annoyingly, the cm.com site seems to draw the best and worst of me, with its ability to sidetrack quite a frightener!

Anyway, to finish, a taster of Mark Zug' work that I've found and enjoyed :-

Take Care,

~ VF ~

darran's picture
darran
Re: Important films, books or internet pages we all should ...

THIS IS THE MOST FRIGHTENING AND DISTRURBING BOOK IV EVER READ

CHAPTER I
ORGANIZING  CHAOS
THE  conscious and intelligent manipulation of the
organized habits and opinions of the masses is an
important element in democratic society. Those who
manipulate this unseen mechanism of society consti-
tute an invisible government which is the true ruling
power of our country.

these are the opening passages from bernays book 1928 propaganda  and if frightens the hell out of me and i dont mean in a conspiricy way but PR and its manifestations are an abhorance to society and stops the real societal growth and maturity that is needed for progress and not mearly progress that is planned and constructed for a section of society

i ask why would any one want to be in PR why do you want to change the instincs of the individual ( its pretty much to get them to consume what they dont want to ) its quite perverse in a sense that people want to control other people , on what moral athourity and ethical authority does one think they have when controling people and thoughts

imagine at 16 or 17 stating that one wants to be in or become a PR administrator or rep even at 20 or 30 it is a perverse thought that one wants to do a job that controls others and not have a societal input in some differing way . again i think the police and judicary apply here to

bernays and his theories are flawed in the sense that they protect the minority it protects the elite from reveling what they are and keeps the larger sections of society muted and ignorant.

if taken at its fundamental his theories give validity to many crimes from oil to bannanas

like post structuralism can validate many atrocities by its flawed thinking they both should be rejected by philosophy as flawed ( while post structuralism has important parts that are good ) bernays hole thesis is based on moraly wrong actions to gain ones own outcomes even if they go against moral and cultural thought.

ps nice photo

regards

darran

darran's picture
darran

THIS IS THE MOST FRIGHTENING AND DISTRURBING BOOK IV EVER READ

CHAPTER I
ORGANIZING  CHAOS
THE  conscious and intelligent manipulation of the
organized habits and opinions of the masses is an
important element in democratic society. Those who
manipulate this unseen mechanism of society consti-
tute an invisible government which is the true ruling
power of our country.

these are the opening passages from bernays book 1928 propaganda  and if frightens the hell out of me and i dont mean in a conspiricy way but PR and its manifestations are an abhorance to society and stops the real societal growth and maturity that is needed for progress and not mearly progress that is planned and constructed for a section of society

i ask why would any one want to be in PR why do you want to change the instincs of the individual ( its pretty much to get them to consume what they dont want to ) its quite perverse in a sense that people want to control other people , on what moral athourity and ethical authority does one think they have when controling people and thoughts

imagine at 16 or 17 stating that one wants to be in or become a PR administrator or rep even at 20 or 30 it is a perverse thought that one wants to do a job that controls others and not have a societal input in some differing way . again i think the police and judicary apply here to

bernays and his theories are flawed in the sense that they protect the minority it protects the elite from reveling what they are and keeps the larger sections of society muted and ignorant.

if taken at its fundamental his theories give validity to many crimes from oil to bannanas

like post structuralism can validate many atrocities by its flawed thinking they both should be rejected by philosophy as flawed ( while post structuralism has important parts that are good ) bernays hole thesis is based on moraly wrong actions to gain ones own outcomes even if they go against moral and cultural thought.

ps nice photo

regards

darran

darran's picture
darran

I would like to start a forum topic on what the users on here think are must see films, books or websites important to the subject of economics, control, religion, politics, government, investments or anything in relation to these issues. Please give a small review as well. I will not list a lot because I would rather see what you users think is important or what you have studied. I will start with a few of

ok lets start with this

http://mises.org/ What can I say. Practically today's bible, and Ron Paul loves it
no it is not it is the bible for standard economist( what may be termed classical economics) that follow such economist as M friedman ( who personally is a vile man )
who stood for right wing fundamental economics his theories legitamised the actions of regan when terrorising and over throwing a democraticaly elected government and placed a puppet in place ( remember chile)
also his shock therapy is the cause of the singgle biggest move that imporverished millions in one foul swoop ( remember the USSR) even though guys such as stiglitz were saying dont do it ( he gave advice to china on economic reform and that was the single biggest move of people out of poverty)
hyake is also amoung this line of thinking.
further these policies gave creadence to some of the stupidest economic moves to the UK by the thatcher government . in the late 70s early 80s the industrial sectory was the 3rd largest producer in the world , yes it had majour problems but it was working . thatcher removed hundreds of thousands of highly skilled and technical jobs and replaceed them with unskilled low paid manufacturing and office type work ( hmm the term for this work has sliped my mind )
so a bible yes but only for those that subscribe to austrian economics and market fundamentalism that i suggest is a vile method of economics that ignores that social aspects of economics a more sociological economics is needed possibly non liberal economics

regards and not a follower of von mises

darran

darran's picture
darran

website

spinwatch. org

it is an academic web site run by proffessors at strathclyde university and helped along by leslie sklair of the LSE

it looks at spin and the tactics used by political parties and the political world its non conspiricy ( like CM) a bloddy good site )

darran's picture
darran

PROFESSOR EMITERUS LESLIE SKLAIR
GLOBALISATION 'CAPITALISM AND ITS ALTERNATIVES   A MUST BOOK

WEBSITE

http://www.compassonline.org.uk/     direction for the democratic left a site leaning to market capitalism based on the rhine model

darran's picture
darran

any economic text by wolfgang streeke or colin crouch

such as political economy of modern capitalism mapping convergance and diversity

MICHEL ALBERT capitalism against capitalism  

professor john gray  false dawn the delusions of global capitalism

DONT BELIVE THE HYPE

regards darran

V's picture
V
Link TV Very Important

Well we all complain abut MSM but these folks are doing something about it. From news reports from around the world, to incredible documentaries, Amy Goodman, Bill Moyers, music videos and so much more. This is what NPR and PBS can only in their wildest dreams aspire to. Go to the website, view some programming and the donate as much as you can . This is viewer sponsored democratic TV.

http://www.linktv.org/

V

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Inquiries Into the Nature of Slow Money ~ by Woody Tasch

Inquiries Into the Nature of Slow Money: Investing as if Food, Farms and Fertility Mattered 

by Woody Tasch

[quote=]

Back Cover

Could there ever be an alternative stock exchange dedicated to slow, small, and local? Could a million American families get their food from CSAs? What if you had to invest 50 percent of your assets within 50 miles of where you live? Such questions - at the heart of slow money -represent the first steps on our path to a new economy.

Inquiries into the Nature of Slow Money presents an essential new strategy for investing in local food systems, and introduces a group of fiduciary activists who are exploring what should come after industrial finance and industrial agriculture. Theirs is a vision for investing that puts soil fertility into return-on-investment calculations, and serves people and place as much at it serves industry sectors and markets.

Leading the charge is Woody Tasch, whose decades of work as a venture capitalist, foundation treasurer, and entrepreneur now shed new light on a truer, more beautiful, more prudent kind of fiduciary responsibility. He offers an alternative vision to the dusty old industrial concepts of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, when dollars, and the businesses they financed, lost their connection to place; slow money, on the other hand, is firmly rooted in the new economic, social and environmental realities of the 21st century.

Inquiries into the Nature of Slow Money is a call to action for designing capital markets built around, not extraction and consumption, but preservation and restoration. Is it a movement, or is it an investment strategy? Yes.

Quote:

Opening Prologue

“Mr Gandhi”, a reporter asked during Gandhi’s 1930 visit to England, “what do you think of western civilization?”

“I think it would be a very good idea”, he replied.

I did not want to start this book with a reference to Gandhi. I really and truly did not. Having been in and around the sustainability movement for a few decades now, I’ve heard enough Margaret Mead and Gandhi and Einstein quotes to last several lifetimes. But if Tom Robbins can start a novel with a reference to a beet, then anything goes.

I am making light, because the subjects at hand are ponderous, because I have an inveterate scepticism when it comes to the lifeless and humourless prognostications of the experts, and because I have had it up to ~ here! ~ With the opaque, impersonal, deathly dull dismalness of the dismal science of economics. In our search for answers to the great questions of the day, we would be well served to listen less to economists and more to philosophers, poets, ecologists, entrepreneurs and farmers.

To see what might lie beyond the Era of Economics, we must look above the top line and below the bottom line. I mean this almost literally. Above the top line is the region of the “meta”, what E.F. Schumacher called meta-economics. Below the bottom line is the territory of the “sub”, as in subterranean, not in the sense of journeying to the centre of the earth or anything that science-fictional, but something equally fantastic and preposterously too non-commidifiably invisible to the modern and post-modern mind: the rich, symbiotically phenomenal, mysteriously fertile life of soil.

“A very good idea” would be a civilization that did not strip its topsoil, turn it into cheap food and highly processed food products of highly questionable nutritional value, and put its faith in markets at the expense of places.

Civilization is a big idea. So is the idea that as soil goes, so goes civilization. So is the idea that as money goes, so goes the soil.    

{Continued ...}

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts
Excellent interview, Ralph Nader and Judge Napolitano

oops

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts
Excellent interview, Ralph Nader and Judge Napolitano

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Part 6:

V's picture
V

I voted for Ralph 4 times. Last time it was a toss up between him and Cynthia McKinney. I went with Ralph again after going to see him

V

ps I am a dreamer

Doug's picture
Doug

eaarth, Bill McKibben

http://www.billmckibben.com/eaarth/eaarthbook.html#praise

Quote:
"Read it, please. Straight through to the end. Whatever else you were planning to do next, nothing could be more important." —Barbara Kingsolver

This book adds a dimension to the three E's that has to be considered.

Doug

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Lies The Government Told You ~ by Andrew P. Napolitano

Greg Roberts wrote:

Part 2 ~ Part 3 ~ Part 4 ~ Part 5 ~ Part 6

Lies The Government Told You: Myth, Power and deception in American History ~ by Andrew P. Napolitano

[quote=]

Wikipedia Review

Andrew Paolo Napolitano (born June 6, 1950 in Newark, New Jersey) is an Italian-American media-personality. He is a former New Jersey Superior Court Judge and now a political and legal analyst for Fox News Channel. Napolitano started on the channel in 1998, and currently serves as the network's senior judicial analyst, commenting on legal news and trials. He is a graduate of Princeton University (where he was a founding member of the Concerned Alumni of Princeton) and Notre Dame Law School.

~ VF ~

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Doug wrote:

eaarth, Bill McKibben

http://www.billmckibben.com/eaarth/eaarthbook.html#praise

Quote:
"Read it, please. Straight through to the end. Whatever else you were planning to do next, nothing could be more important." —Barbara Kingsolver

This book adds a dimension to the three E's that has to be considered.

Doug

[quote=]

Bill McKibben Wikipedia

William Ernest "Bill" McKibben (born 1960) is an American environmentalist and writer who frequently writes about global warming and alternative energy and advocates for more localized economies. In 2010 the Boston Globe called him "probably the nation's leading environmentalist" and Time magazine described him as "the world's best green journalist." In 2009 he led the organization of 350.org, which coordinated what Foreign Policy magazine called "the largest ever global coordinated rally of any kind," with 5,200 simultaneous demonstrations in 181 countries. The magazine named him to its inaugural list of the 100 most important global thinkers, and MSN named him one of the dozen most influential men of 2009. McKibben is active in the Methodist Church, and his writing is sometimes spiritual in nature.

McKibben grew up in suburban Lexington, Massachusetts. As an undergraduate at Harvard University, he was president of The Harvard Crimson newspaper. Immediately after college he joined the The New Yorker as a staff writer and wrote much of the Talk of the Town column from 1982 to early 1987. He quit the magazine when its longtime editor William Shawn was forced out of his job, and soon moved to the Adirondack Mountains of upstate New York.

He currently resides in Vermont with his wife, writer Sue Halpern, and their only child, Sophie (born 1993 in Glens Falls, New York). He is a scholar in residence at Middlebury College, where he also directs the Middlebury Fellowships in Environmental Journalism. He is also a fellow at the Post Carbon Institute.

~ VF ~

V's picture
V

This is a video from a few years ago. It is called One Giant Leap. It was shot on location around the world. It features some of the best musicians on the planet. It is broken up into chapters with titles like, Money, Confrontation, Masks, Time etc. There are people like Kurt Vonnegut, Stewart Brand, and Dennis Hopper commenting on the various subjects. I highly recommend it especially if you do not have the opportunity to travel very much. It offers a very broad perspective.

V

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts
Bottlemania: How Water Went on Sale and Why We Bought It

Bottlemania: How Water Went on Sale and Why We Bought It

The zeitgeist has been turning against bottled water for some time now. Mayors in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, and other cities ruled that their local governments would no longer spend taxpayer money on the stuff; restaurateur Alice Waters of Berkeley’s famed Chez Panisse struck it from the menu; and The New York Times published two widely read articles -- an editorial titled "In Praise of Tap Water" and a style piece, "Water, Water Everywhere but Guilt by the Bottleful" -- within days of each other last summer. The moment is ripe for Elizabeth Royte’s Bottlemania, an admirable, engaging book that examines the social, economic, and environmental impact of bottled water, whose sales now surpass those of beer and milk in the United States.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Bottlemania/Elizabeth-Royte/e/9781596913714

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

The Collapse of Complex Societies ~ by Joseph Tainter (Read Online Book)

[quote=]

Wikipedia Review

Joseph A. Tainter (Born December 8, 1949) is a U.S. anthropologist and historian.

Tainter studied anthropology at the University of California and Northwestern University, where he received his Ph.D. in 1975. He is currently a professor in the Department of Environment and Society at Utah State University. His previous positions include Project Leader of Cultural Heritage Research, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station, Albuquerque, New Mexico and professor of anthropology at the University of New Mexico. Tainter is also the author or editor of many articles and monographs. His best-known work is The Collapse of Complex Societies (1988), which examines the collapse of Maya and Chacoan civilizations, and the Roman Empire, in terms of network theory, energy economics and complexity theory. Tainter argues that sustainability or collapse follow from the success or failure of problem-solving institutions and that societies collapse when their investments in social complexity and their "energy subsidies" reach a point of diminishing marginal returns. He recognizes collapse when a society rapidly sheds a significant portion of its complexity.

~ VF ~

plato1965's picture
plato1965

I've just rediscovered something that I probably saw when I was very young.. I remember loving James Burke's TV documentaries..

It's about the "technology trap", or how dependent we are on modernity...

Like Stoneleighs recent mp3, this gave me a real shift in understanding.. especially his "so what do we do" - back to nature ? Stop ? Choose tech carefully ? analysis..

I'd recommend all of his work if you're interested..

this particular series if you have the time (1 hour+?)

Or just this part if you want to know why survivalism / back to nature isn't a genuine long term option for MOST of us..

(reinforcing oftwominds critique of survivalist fantasy ...)

Conclusions: Resilience is good...

preparing for mad max.. mainly futile...

BAU may be doomed, but modifying and improving on it, is the only hope for most of us..

Poet's picture
Poet

John Calvin Batchelor's The Birth of the People's Republic of Antarctica. Political collapse, refugees from all countries taking to the high seas, murder, battle, cannibalism amongst the ice floes of the Antarctic.

Poet

V's picture
V
The Wizard of the Upper Amazon.

The Wizard of the Upper Amazon by Bruce Lamb.

This book is available online for free at www.archive.org

You will not find investment advice, alternative energy advice or specific information on how to cope with the shtf scenario.

What you will find is a spellbinding story of how one man got ripped from everything he knew and placed in a completely different reality. I read this book sometime in the 70's and it altered my view of the world very radically. It fostered the ability to think outside the box. Probably the greatest skill one can now develop is to think outside the box. There are many different realities out there and as CM says you will be encountering them whether you wish to or not over the next twenty years- actually the rest of your life.

Once again I draw inspiration from the indigenous cultures that we are wiping out.

V

fandango's picture
fandango

As a new member to the CM community, I’ve been busy devouring everyone’s insightful thoughts and ideas before diving in with my first post.  Like many of you-- the plan is for my husband and I to become more self-sufficient with the ultimate goal of moving off the grid.  We are looking at a future bug-out site in northern Arkansas (hello, joe2baba), or southern Missouri with a like-minded community.  Still checking out the tax situation on future (small) pensions…although this is probably a moot point since it will probably change as cities, towns and states find ways to tax their residents.

Some impressive member posts: joe2baba, earthwise, EndGamePlayer, Dogs_In_A_Pile, Doug, JK121, krogoth, gregroberts, V, ao, Damnthematrix, Johnny OxygenLogansRun, Vanityfox451, deggleton, safewriteJAG, Davos, crash_watcher, pinecarr, plato1965, MarkM, DrKrbyLuv, SagerXX, Aaron Moyer, caroline_culbert, and course the wonderful Full MoonThis is only a partial list…but you get the gist.

Being of average intelligence, I attempt to compensate by spending time researching and listening to people’s experiences before a major plan or life change is put into action.  Of course, prayer is the final factor---sometimes it helps to be silent and just listen for guidance.

Since my mid 20’s, I’ve attending various financial seminars about every 5-8 yrs with the idea of soaking up “some” information, hearing the latest pitch, and finding out what was going on with the audience members during the Q&A sessions.

Back in late 2004, I attended a very strange seminar.  The speaker started out the presentation with how to control credit card debit.   After listening to him go on and on about this subject in an anxious, stressed-out voice, I started thinking---this guy isn’t getting any business---people  just don’t have the money to invest.  Having gone thru 1999/2000 this just felt very different to me, so....what was going on?  Surprised

On a side note, I dragged my friend to the seminar (gave the husband a break), and she only heard the old guys talk about how to avoid taxes by transferring their elderly mother’s money over to their personal accounts while mom was put in a nursing home.  Pathetic….

Ok, enough story, this is my recommendation especially if you want to continue investing in “the game”.  Start attending pension board meetings.  If you don’t work for a company that has a pension, find a company that allows the public to attend the financial meetings. 

It’s like reading tomorrow’s (next year's) newspaper.   Even if you are done with the stock market it’s an excellent learning experience.

Do some research on the pension company;  for instance, CalPERS dropped the ball on the various investment strategies and the members took a huge hit, but before 2008 they were acting like a hedge fund.  Also, be aware if a pension system does not have employees or retired members on the board.  After looking at a very large aeronautical company in 2006, for a family member, I was shocked at how the (hired) management company was handling the investments and charging high fees.

(No employees on the pension board = no skin in the game.)

Bottom line---after attending the meetings and listening to the “experienced” financial advisors, it concerned me enough that I took action and avoided losses in 2008.  Note: my definition of an “experienced” advisor:  length of time in the profession, contacts with the top players in major companies and banks, and most important of all, travel schedule (around the world) so they actually talk to the players face to face.  That turned out to be a huge deal!

By the way, I look at knowledge about financial matters as a security feature--made a point to listen to my frugal grandmother who endured the Great Depression. 

From all my reading, the CM site seems like a very nice, smart and respectful community. 

For Vanityfox451, http://www.symphonyofscience.com/videos.html you might know about it, but I'll send it to you anyway.  I thought the other members might enjoy the videos---the one at the bottom, “A glorious dawn” is my favorite.

Finally, I can relate to V’s take on “thinking outside the box” and New Moon’s philosophy of life---faith, family and community.

Doug's picture
Doug

fandango

Great first post.  Thank you so much for the Symphony of Science link.  And wonderful suggestion on the pension fund board meetings.  Unfortunately, I'd have to travel several hundred miles for mine.  But, I think I'll start attending my credit union board meetings, although they will probably be pretty boring.  There's not much exciting about a well run credit union.

Welcome to the site.  I suspect we will benefit from your presence as much as you benefit from the site.

Doug

fandango's picture
fandango

Doug

Thank you so much for the warm welcome--you were very kind.  So glad you enjoyed "Symphony..."  

Hope the future credit union meetings aren't a total snooze!  

V's picture
V
Joseph Campbell The Power of Myth

Joseph Campbell was a giant of a man possessed of great wisdom. His work influenced many people not least of which was George Lucas.

Much of what he devoted to his life to cannot be discussed here on this site. However we are slipping a few things in in the basement don't tell anyone.

You can find the videos on line. I could not figure out how to do it.

V

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth
Format Documentary
Starring Joseph Campbell
Bill Moyers
Country of origin United States
No. of episodes 6
Production
Running time 360 minutes (60 minutes per episode)
Broadcast
Original channel PBS
Original run June 21, 1988 – June 26, 1988

The Power of Myth is a book and six part television documentary originally broadcast on PBSin 1988 as Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth. The documentary comprises six one-hour conversations between mythologist Joseph Campbell (1904 - 1987) and journalist Bill Moyers.

Contents

[hide]

The interviews in the first 5 episodes were filmed at George Lucas's Skywalker Ranch in California, with the 6th interview conducted at the Museum of Natural History in New York, during the final two summers of Campbell's life (the series was broadcast on television a year after his death). In these discussions, Campbell presents his ideas about comparative mythology and the ongoing role of myth in human society. These talks include excerpts from Campbell's seminal work The Hero with a Thousand Faces.

[edit]The documentary

The documentary, Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth has six episodes:

• Episode 1: The Hero's Adventure (first broadcast 6/21/1988 on PBS)

About Campbell, hero types, hero deeds, Jesus Christ, the Buddha, movie heroes, Star Wars as a metaphor, an Iroquois story: the refusal of suitors, dragons, dreams and Jungian psychology, “follow your bliss,” consciousness in plants, Gaia, Chartres cathedral, spirituality vs. economics, emerging myths, “Earthrise” as a symbol

• Episode 2: The Message of the Myth (first broadcast 6/22/1988 on PBS)

Creation myths, transcending duality, pairs of opposites, God vs. Nature, sin, morality, participation in sorrow, the Gospel of Thomas, Old Time Religion, computers, religion as “software,” the story of Indra: “What a great boy am I!,” participation in society

• Episode 3: The First Storytellers (first broadcast 6/23/1988 on PBS)

Animal memories, harmonization with body and life-cycle, consciousness vs. its vehicle, killing for food, story: “The Buffalo's Wife,” buffalo massacre, initiation ritual, rituals diminishing, crime increasing, artists, the Shaman, the center of the world

• Episode 4: Sacrifice and Bliss (first broadcast 6/24/1988 on PBS)

Chief Seattle, the sacred Earth, agricultural renewal, human sacrifice, sacrifice of the Mass, transcendence of death, story: “The Green Knight,” societal dictates vs. following bliss, “hidden hands” guiding life's work

• Episode 5: Love and the Goddess (first broadcast 6/25/1988 on PBS)

The TroubadoursEros, romantic love, Tristan, libido vs. credo, separation from love, Satan, loving your enemy, the Crucifixion as atonement, virgin birth, the story of IsisOsiris and Horusthe Madonna, the Big Bang, the correlation between the earth or mother Goddess and images of fertility (the sacred feminine).

• Episode 6: Masks of Eternity (first broadcast 6/26/1988 on PBS)

Identifying with the infinite, the circle as a symbol, clowns and masks, epiphanies and James Joyce, artistic arrest, the monstrous as sublime, the dance of Shiva, that which is beyond words.

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
James Burke "Connections"

[quote=]

Wikipedia Review

Connections was a ten-episode documentary television series created, written and presented by science historian James Burke. The series was produced and directed by Mick Jackson of the BBC Science & Features Department and first aired in 1978 (UK) and 1979 (USA). It took an Interdisciplinary approach to the history of science and invention and demonstrated how various discoveries, scientific achievements, and historical world events were built from one another successively in an interconnected way to bring about particular aspects of modern technology. The series was noted for Burke's crisp and enthusiastic presentation (and dry humour), historical reenactments, and intricate working models.

{Continued ...}

[/quote]

Episode One

"The Trigger Effect"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcSxL8GUn-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVn1EH-1Avg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6H-w9Rm46o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Q5AUJT_zk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHxd8pySXgM&feature=related

Episode Two

"Death In The Morning"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hukkfbevWM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Kh315YMo8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEqOnEOUlqs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHdXyDNieJ4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ5xYJU4k1g&feature=related

Episode Three

"Distant Voices"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NDvpZErg-Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqnOo-KIh5Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztr7TOWKzXs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO2hpHn891U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZvb5i6lBmo&feature=related

Episode Four

"Faith In Numbers"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORY-mXXgJg4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LAZ0Kgrl_Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAo4nwfLlxw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sunv0Q38wS8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeivC9n6ewc&feature=related

Episode Five

"The Wheel Of Fortune"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW_v-_uC6Ow&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xledlTXi1IM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIKj9-hle6s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UGWnjtw5q8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubY5HrChTFI&feature=related

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
James Burke "Connections"

Episode Six

"Thunder In The Skies"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVfndEgqM9c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GerLI8ld8EU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAMOpXXPl4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srooanb0z3c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5IyF7aO2dU&feature=related

Episode Seven

"The Long Chain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib4io-gaRso&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2BsMOFHtGg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbzgzX0-uso&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdNzCwWhNa4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bgwBkdUzrE&feature=related

Episode Eight

"Eat, Drink And Be Merry"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-bz7nYGxgo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa588EDwwiE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiaQdoC92Ls&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRr2FltLwYI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkaD02iO1g&feature=related

Episode Nine

"Countdown"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP6EjmUgt7Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jegFEixfe50&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNvDyVRXS1Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40r2Awl_NmU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LANnnwG4Y2Q&feature=related

Part Ten

"Yesterday, Tomorrow And You"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7DYYg4SL-g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjaenFkJcMY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djQ7OTrm5ug&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzacLqE35dg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNGOt1x5G5w&feature=related

~ VF ~

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

OoPs ,   Got so engrossed here that I almost let the roast burn !   Thank you all so much for sharing these .  My mind is so small I can not even imagine or dream so big as some of these amazing ideas .

FM

Poet's picture
Poet
Re: Connections

Connections was definitely AWESOME - especially the first episode that showed just how dependent we all are on technological advances, and how, like John Michael Greer in his book, "The Long Descent" says, we've taken out the rungs out of past ladders as we kept climbing the ladder of progress. (JMG also wrote back then about how we're facing a predicament with peak oil and can only decide how to face that predicament because it is not a problem that can be solved.)

Poet

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Full Moon, Poet,

I'm really pleased this series by James Burke is having the desired effect on you! I'll be posting the next two series of his films just as soon as I find a moment, so watch this space ...

Take Care Both,

~ VF ~

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments