Impact of Radiation/Contamination on West Coast?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
smoothbrother's picture
smoothbrother
Impact of Radiation/Contamination on West Coast?

What is the impact of the radiation blown from Japan on the US West Coast?

Is it negligible? Or is it more serious (if so how?)?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Josey's picture
Josey
I heard this report the

I heard this report the other day and thought it was interesting.

http://radioboston.wbur.org/2011/03/22/radiation-japan

jrf29's picture
jrf29
Re: Impact on West Coast

According to Wiki, NATO, the Soviet Union, and other countries have tested at least 2,419 atomic bombs, many of these tests being either atmospheric or in the oceans, producing enormous amounts of highly radioactive fallout.  The U.S. alone has conducted 1,054 tests, hundreds of explosions being inside the continental U.S. at the proving grounds in Nevada.

China has tested 45 nuclear weapons, 23 of which were tested in atmospheric explosions. 

Not that this makes situation better, but in light of this, I think we can handle whatever radiation drifts over here from a striken power station in Japan.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
smoothbrother wrote: What is

smoothbrother wrote:

What is the impact of the radiation blown from Japan on the US West Coast?

Is it negligible? Or is it more serious (if so how?)?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

smooth -

Short answer is negligible.

The radionuclides from the Fukushima Daiichi have been detected coast to coast in the US at very low levels.  The levels that showed up in Virginia are several magnitudes of order less than exposure control levels of concern. 

http://www.epa.gov/japan2011/rert/radnet-virginiabeach-bg.html

Statistically, you could quantify the increased risk of developing cancer attributable to the exposure from radionuclides released from Japan, but the number would be several place to the right of a decimal point.  Not zero, but very very small.  Naturally occurring and everyday background radiation are going to give people much more exposure than anything being dispersed from Japan.

docmims's picture
docmims
Probably at least as risky

Probably at least as risky as a bad sunburn or the same as living in a stone house for a year.  However if you extrapolate that over millions in population that could be hundreds of cases of cancer over the next couple decades.  But if you get the cancer it will definately be because of Japan:

as an anecdote:

I was having a presurgical talk with a three pack a day smoker who had a Myocardial Infarction a few months before the visit.  I asked her if she had cut back any on her smoking.  Her disabled son with his neckbrace and cane said indignantly: "NO!!  Momma had her heart attack from that VIOXX !!"  I just nodded, smiled and walked away.  It wasn't worth the discussion.

Josey's picture
Josey
You guys are alright!

I recently left a peak oil oriented website because I felt like the nuttiness was getting increased on daily basis and there was far more embracing of pseudoscience and conspiracy stuff than I could tolerate. So far, I've been much more impressed with this forum. Seems like pretty much everyone I've read from has an open mind but not so open that their brains fall out. You guys are alright! I look forward to reading more discussions.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: You guys are alright!

Josey wrote:

I recently left a peak oil oriented website because I felt like the nuttiness was getting increased on daily basis and there was far more embracing of pseudoscience and conspiracy stuff than I could tolerate. So far, I've been much more impressed with this forum. Seems like pretty much everyone I've read from has an open mind but not so open that their brains fall out. You guys are alright! I look forward to reading more discussions.

Welcome Josey.  Yes -- we guys (and gals!) *are* alright!  Keep reading, and join in the discussions.  There's always room for one more person who's interested in constructive thinking...

VIVA -- Sager

nb:  edited for spellink

lkg417's picture
lkg417
Japan, nuclear plant

I just don't understand why a nuclear plant was constructed in an area that is

known for and has a history of large earthquakes. I think it was arrogant of them

to believe that they are stronger than 'Mother Nature'. What kind of intelligent

person would have okayed this? I don't believe you have to be a "rocket

scientist " to realize that they were playing "Russian (Japanese) roulette"

with the earth mother. Guess who won?

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Welcome to the forums

Welcome to the forums Lkg417.  You will find a lot of interesting people here.

Travlin 

John99's picture
John99
Fukushima Raised To Level 6,

Fukushima Raised To Level 6, 2nd highest disaster level.

smoothbrother's picture
smoothbrother
I agree with SagerXX

Having signed up to this website about a year ago has truned out to be one of the best things I have done.

The quality of information and guidance you get from Dr. Martenson or from members such as Dogs_In_A_Pile is outstanding.

In my personal view this website has more credibility than all of the mainstream media taken together.

DarthSwishy's picture
DarthSwishy
Many thanks to Dogs_In_A_Pile

Well said Smooth....

I was a bit freaked out by the accident at Fukushima initially but Chris and Dogs laid out the facts rationally with no spin or BS - and they weren't trying to sell me KIO3 pills either!

I have been a lurker here for a long time but felt the need to publicly thank Dogs_In_A_Pile for treating me like an adult.

CM.com is the place for honest, rational facts.  I whole heartedly agree with you assessment of the credibility of CM.com and the members here.

cowpoke's picture
cowpoke
Fission Products in Seattle

I thought this article was pertinent, here is a clip and the link.  I also want to thank Chris and Dogs for last weeks interview.

These guys began removing air filters from the intake to the ventilation system of the Physics and Astronomy building at the University of Washington and then measuring the levels of radiation they were emitting. Initially, the filters contained nothing out of the ordinary. Then, sometime between 12pm on 17 March and 2pm on 18 March, the radiation levels began to rise.

By measuring the energy of the gamma rays from the filters, these guys have identified exactly which fission products have made their way across the Pacific. And this in turn allows them to make a number of interesting inferences about what has gone wrong at Fukushima. Today, they post the results of the first five days of monitoring on the arXiv.

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/26571/?nlid=4281

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Great article....

cowpoke wrote:

I thought this article was pertinent, here is a clip and the link.  I also want to thank Chris and Dogs for last weeks interview.

These guys began removing air filters from the intake to the ventilation system of the Physics and Astronomy building at the University of Washington and then measuring the levels of radiation they were emitting. Initially, the filters contained nothing out of the ordinary. Then, sometime between 12pm on 17 March and 2pm on 18 March, the radiation levels began to rise.

By measuring the energy of the gamma rays from the filters, these guys have identified exactly which fission products have made their way across the Pacific. And this in turn allows them to make a number of interesting inferences about what has gone wrong at Fukushima. Today, they post the results of the first five days of monitoring on the arXiv.

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/26571/?nlid=4281

cowpoke -

Great article, nice dig.  Objective, measurable data that can be time stamped and worked backwards. 

The I-133 finding all but confirms the Japanese knew it was really bad from the beginning and immediately went to seawater cooling.

Many thanks.

summersolstice's picture
summersolstice
Not only in Japan!

lkg417 wrote:

I just don't understand why a nuclear plant was constructed in an area that is

known for and has a history of large earthquakes. I think it was arrogant of them

to believe that they are stronger than 'Mother Nature'. What kind of intelligent

person would have okayed this? I don't believe you have to be a "rocket

scientist " to realize that they were playing "Russian (Japanese) roulette"

with the earth mother. Guess who won?

I have only one thing to say to this:
San Andreas Fault.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/03/nuclear-plant-san-andreas-fault-...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_Canyon_Power_Plant

http://newsfeedresearcher.com/data/articles_n13/plant-nuclear-power.html...

Josey's picture
Josey
I agree with summersolstice.

I agree with summersolstice. We've only gotten worse about building in irrational places. Many shorelines all over the country are eroding and humans are meeting the water half-way with houses and office towers. We have a BSL-4 lab in Corpus Christi of all places and nuclear facilities near major fault lines. It's just some weird feature of human brains. We think on small timelines and tend to be very optimistic about natural disaster scenerios.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments