How would you hande it?

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor
Re: Update re the Wife

Glad to hear things are progressing, Sager. Keep us informed.

Hell will freeze over here first, LOL. My wife regards preparation for anything as doom and gloom thinking.

SG

ceci1ia's picture
ceci1ia
Re: How would you hande it?

Sager, glad to hear it.

On my front, I bought a maple leaf
through the internet this past week. I didn't tell my spouse until it
arrived in the mail, just so he wouldn't worry about being ripped off.
He was very glad it worked out, and didn't mind the expenditure at all.
It would be hard for him to say anything, though, because I work too
and I can pay for an ounce of gold. 

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Ceci,

I have bot a few gold Eagles locally from stamp and coin dealer. They are a bit higher but my wife would go bananas if they came in the mail and she saw them. As I said to the coin dealer, some day one of us is going to turn to the other and say "I told you so." Either we will all be happy and well fed and driving electric Teslas or we will be taking turns standing watch at night as bad social stuff happens. I know where I'm placing my bet.

SG

mesaboogieman's picture
mesaboogieman

capesurvivor wrote:

reason for divorce:refuses to recycle. LOL!  

In our house I'm the one who forgets to recycle.  Putting food waste into a bin so that a diesel fuelled lorry can come round specially to pick it up seems incredibly inefficient, yet 'er indoors would rather do that than put it in a composter, doh.

Still trying to motivate myself to grow even the simplest of veg, I'm not really into gardening, more the practical engineer.

When I first saw the CC I completely lost it, went a bit paranoid, and blurted it all out to my wife. Strange thing is to begin with she was with me ( I think she trusted her gut instinct) we got quite a few basic preparations done.  However after a while she started to think I was nuts and even said she would get me a psychiatrist! (maybe it was the air rifle that tipped the balance) I tend to keep my thoughts to myself now, make simple preparations whenever possible and stay as well informed as I can. 

ceci1ia's picture
ceci1ia

cape, I hear you. But when I came out of the closet, so to speak, there was no turning back.

I
was very nervous when I ordered a 3-month supply of freeze-dried
vegetables and a box of non-hybrid seeds. The boxes were (and are)
stacked in the living room because I had nowhere to put them and Carl
came home from a business trip. I told him what they were and I bought
them because I was preparing for the hard times I believed were coming.
I mean, what else could I say? And besides, I never order more than I
can afford to pay for.

I told Carl listen, some day we're going
to laugh about when Cecilia went all weird about peak oil and the
apocalypse and stocked up on rice and coconut oil.

So far, the supplies I've gathered have been very useful and Carl has not given me a bad time.

Each family is different. 

ByronS's picture
ByronS

I had a difficult time convincing my wife to view the Crash Course as well; it took at least a month of coaxing. I think what turned her around was the fact that I got my teenage (16+) son to watch the whole thing over a period of a few weeks first. I know that this was a bit risky for someone of his age, as it is pretty heavy stuff at times and could negatively impact even well-adjusted adults.

My son and I watched several of the chapters together, with lots of Pausing and discussion along the way. Fortunately he has always been mature for his age, and is remarkably aware of the world around him. We then got together and prodded my wife that this was something we both felt was vitally important to understand.

The first thing that my wife said to me upon completing the CC was "I hate you!" This was of course her way of reluctantly accepting the harsh reality of the not-too-distant future ahead, and realizing that the logical conclusions of the course were essentially indisputable. There was no turning back, and this is the feeling of dread most of us had before we even got through half of the CC.

So now we are stocking up on non-perishable foods, drinking water, etc. I very reluctantly purshased my first firearm, and we are talking about ways of coping with lack of electricity, or loss of one of our jobs, or other very possible scenarios.

I'm one of the lucky ones, to be sure, to have my immediate family on board with the new world we are careening towards. I would offer that the most effective line of reasoning I used to help convince my spouse of the time-sensitive importance of preparing was "If we wait until a significant percentage of the population realizes the true extent of the trouble we're headed toward, then it will be too late to make any meaningful preparations." I'm sure that this point was made by CM in the course, and it is something we should be reminding ourselves of constantly.

I'm still concerned about the impact of this information on my son, although I do feel that he is old enough to understand the basic concepts in the CC. More importantly, he knows that he will be spending many more years of his life compared with his parents living in very turbulent times.

This is probably a new topic to start: Has anyone else shared the CC with their kids / teenagers? 

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Byron -

Welcome to the site.  Here is a thread that addresses how some people are dealing with the domestic side of Crash Course.

Both of our kids (23 and 21) have seen CC, as have my parents.  All 4 were pretty much stunned - and have drastically altered the way they do business.  I personally don't think anyone is too young to at least start introducing CC material to them. 

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/coping-triple-e-interpersonal-problems/12564

Poet's picture
Poet
1440 Minutes - Are You There?

As I was reading this thread from two years ago, I grew worried.

1440 Minutes, are you there? Are you okay? Please give us an update.

Poet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments