How do you track your preparation progress?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
G-Money's picture
G-Money
How do you track your preparation progress?

All -

Just wondering how everyone out there is tracking their personal preparation progress. There are so many things to think of and so many variables to track that it really necessitates some sort of project management system. This may be as simple as just building out a checklist based on CM's step-by-step guide. However, I'm specifically wondering if anyone has found any software or online resources that are easily configured to track your progress. 

All feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

G

G-Money's picture
G-Money
Anyone? Checklist, Excel

Anyone?

Checklist, Excel spreadsheet, notebook, project managment software....?

G

grandefille's picture
grandefille
preparation progress

G-money-

Long lists don't work for me:  I tend to make them, and then forget to refer to them.  I've been peak-oil aware for 7 years, and have been working hard to reduce energy use, cut expenses, and increase food production.  Every 3-4 months, I set 1-2 substantial goals for myself, focusing on where I see my biggest vulnerability or opportunity.  My current goals are to produce $1,000 of food this calendar year (garden, chickens, bees) and to reduce annual car miles by 10% to 20%.  Car miles only requires tracking and a bit of planning, but the food production will be intense.  In the fall, when gardening ends, I'll see where things stand and create new goals.

Julie

G-Money's picture
G-Money
Rephrased...

Let me post this question another way: Does anyone out there also struggle with a lack of a tool to monitor progress and keep your various prepping activities on track?

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
http://lds.about.com/library/

http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.html

http://preparedldsfamily.blogspot.com/2009/04/food-and-home-storage-calculator-now.html

I am not Morman  but they have their storage down to an art .   Hope this is a start to what you are looking for

FM

laura welsh's picture
laura welsh
how do you track your preparation progress?

My Mormon friends use a software program called "Food Storage Planner". It breaks down your preparedness based on the number of people in your household, and covers areas such as 72 hour kits, pantry contents, grocery lists, automotive, water needs, general equipment, garden supplies, spices, medicines, clothing, etc.

They included me in a group order of this software, regularly $39.99, for about $21.I am embarrassed  to say that I used the software for about 6 months, achieving supplies for my "7" for about 5 months, but did not keep up with entering incoming food and supplies as I am not disciplined that way. But, the ideas in the software are great, and it reminds you what you need. I found that I had way too many beans...not enough wheat!

Their web address is:

http://www.revelar.com/fsp.html

Laura

G-Money's picture
G-Money
FM & Laura - Thanks for the

FM & Laura -

Thanks for the replies. Those look like solid tools for the food storage component of a prep plan. Anyone have any resources for some of the other elements (e.g. water, health, personal security, wealth preservation, etc.)?

Thanks

G

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
  I am not good at keep

I am not good at keep track either . I just keep buying .    With my large family and circle of friends there is no way I could ever have too much of anything .      I figure even if I had a grocery store full   I could not feed everyone in an emergency situation   BUT  I like  her blog for reminding what "Sales " are on for each month .      Fish on  Lent ,  Corned beef on St. Patty's  etc.       I may never have enough money to retire but I'll be darned if  we will starve .    I am  buying the reusable canning lids today and planting  blueberry bushes  .

If you go to SurvivalBlog.com    there are  lists ....     24 hour emergency    and  build up from there .

FM

G-Money's picture
G-Money
Dr. Martenson?

Knowing Dr. Martenson's amazing ability to organize complex data I'm VERY eager to know how he kept himself organized and ontrack over the last 5 years. Would love to hear from you sir.

Saffron's picture
Saffron
Self-Assessment doc?

G-Money when you mentioned CM's step-by-step guide, did you mean the Self-Assessment questionnaire?

If not, here is a link: http://www.peakprosperity.com/act

That was helpful to get a feel for what sort of things to think of, but I admit, now that you mention it, it would be great to have a system to keep track. Even of where things are ... I send emails to myself listing where I have things stored since it's so easy to do a search for an item rather than reading down a long list (I've got a printed version in case power goes out.)

I understand Chris isn't able to monitor all the threads but, if you are a member, he is more likely to catch something in the enrolled member forum.

~ s

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
my excel spreadsheet

G-Money,

I took this book--How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It-- and made each chapter into a spreadsheet sheet: One for water, one sheet for first aid, one for food, one for security, etc. It's highly tailored ot our situation  - edge-of-rural suburban, Deep South (double growing season), state capitol w/ 100K people 7 miles away, sq, ft gardening, only, local laws, family health concerns (100 miles from two nuke plants, aging). I doubt my framework would help you much but the book is very thorough and you could use it the way I did. Once the list was refined I just chipped away at it.

Hope this helps.  - Safewrite

urban_dweller's picture
urban_dweller
Handle preparation like a business project

For me prepping/transition matches a big business project in terms of complexity, timeframe and people involved, so I need to

• define subgoals
  • set deadlines
  • delegate to other people
  • break everything down to simple (doable) steps

I would suggest to manage it using whatever project management tools you use on a daily bases. David Allen's Getting Things Done is something I feel comfortable with.

One word of caution: Keep the overhead as low as possible. If you spend more time on project management then on prepping then you might want to let loose a little.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments