How Did You Find Out About The Crash Course?

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Poet's picture
Poet
How Did You Find Out About The Crash Course?

All Roads Lead To Rome
How did you find out about the Crash Course? Or, how did you find this site? What led you to the conjunction of the Economy, Energy, and the Environment? Who led you here? Was it a YouTube video, or an e-mail from a friend? A family member's insistence or your spouse's nagging? When did you become aware?

Let's share our experience, their uniqueness and commonalities. I bet we all have a lot to learn from (and appreciate about) each other. I would love to hear from you.

Right now, I can't remember. I think it was sometime around 2009. Maybe you'll jog my memory...

Poet

james_knight_chaucer's picture
james_knight_chaucer
I think it was an item on

I think it was an item on the Financial Sense News Hour.

plato1965's picture
plato1965
 Stumbled upon Ron Paul in

Stumbled upon Ron Paul in late 07, and the Money as Debt video (Paul Grignon), which led me to Peter Schiff, then followed a forum/youtube link to CM.com in early '08 when the videos were up to about part #11.

As the later (eagerly awaited) parts of the CC appeared,  I finally understood the Peak Oil argument and energy/economy connection ...

Discovered the Oil Drum, Mish, Kunstler, CHS, Zero Hedge..

So from liberty to understanding it's relation to money, to understanding the connections to energy... environment, demographics... etc.

Basically a sequence of connections from something where I said "hey, this guy makes sense !" to a related connection... in a way it's the web itself that deserves some credit... by allowing related issues to cross-fertilise... via links.

Nacci's picture
Nacci
It was recommended and

It was recommended and linked by Stellaconcepts the maker of the "Silver War Cry"  video on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/stellaconcepts#p/search/0/FywT-txGuss

maceves's picture
maceves
carrots

I was looking for a place to order dehydrated or freeze dried carrots online.......that lead me to "food storage" and fascinated, I followed down those rabbit tracks to find out what prepping was....then there was a sidebar to this site.  it wasn't long before I had gone through the Crash Course.

I had already come to some of the conclusions here on this site by myself, but I hadn't reaized how much we were facing on how many fronts.  I was quite blown away at first.

mainebob's picture
mainebob
I was rubber-necking...

It was a drive by find... as I was cruising along in late 2008.....I saw the crash (course)....

...slowed down and "rubber necked" and...
...I stopped to see if I could help.   Money mouth

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
I think in June 2009? - Our

I think in June 2009? - Our crazy, keeps to himself, trusts no-one neighbor sent me a link to the crash course out of the blue.  My husband and I stayed up late that night watching.

I was forever changed.  I went from a well-manicured, soccer Mom to a hands-in-the-soil warrior almost over-night.

I'm truly grateful.  For me the move was easy, we found Jesus five years earlier, that changed us first.

Great thread Poet, thank you!

nickbert's picture
nickbert
only after much searching

I found it in late 2008 around November/December I think, as a chance catch from one of my periodic Google searches on the deteriorating state of affairs.  I'd been concerned and looking for several months (since about the time of Bear Stearns) before I came across the Crash Course and this site.  I guess you could say I'd found and eaten small nibbles of the red pill (from sources like Gerald Celente and Peter Schiff) before stumbling across the last big portion of the pill here that largely tied everything together.  A little later I started lurking the forums and then did two things that are rare or unheard of for me... participating in a forum and paying for a subscription service.  I've forwarded the CC to many people since then, but few have swallowed the pill (in my limited experience I've found it really REALLY helps if people are already 'searching' when they go through the CC).

So I guess my awareness didn't come all at once, but rather over a fair period of many months.  Or perhaps many years if I can count George Carlin (a formative influence for me) and the way he eloquently called bulls*** on the status quo over the years.

- Nickbert

herewego's picture
herewego
Decision

It really came from a decision I made in 2009 to get myself informed about my civilization's energy situation.  After many a documentary it was becoming clear this was a real hornet's nest of freaky issues and I kept looking.  I was probably snooping around online hoping for a better understanding of peak oil and its many implications when the Crash Course arrived on my screen.  It was very exciting to find such an informed, concise, multi-faceted and level approach.  Ever since the thread on Fukushima proved to be a lifeline of intelligent and civil discussion about a horribly upsetting and unsettling topic, I've been hooked on the whole website.  It's a daily habit now.  Y'all rock!

Susan

PS You did kind of turn my life upside down though!  Hope you're all happy now! Laughing

Montana Native's picture
Montana Native
Drive across a bridge.....

The wife and I were driving across a long bridge heading south to a larger town down the road and I heard the closing price of gold in the $900's on the radio. I instantly remembered as a kid gold always seemed to be in the $300's. Spent the night doing research and I believe I found the link to CM on a Marketwatch post by an older guy named Jan Paul. I didnt sleep that night. Just spent the entire night watching the Crash Course and consuming as much as I could. It all made perfect sense to me and lined up well with a book I had read several years earlier, Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. The next day I explained to my wife that there were a lot of things we needed to talk about.

I've made large changes to my life since then and still find this to be my go to site for quality news and information. I dont have a fancy new boat, but I have nice land.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
How we came to this site

Like many posters, my husband and I were already concerned about the decline when we came here.  We got married June 12th, 2009 so much of our journies were separate, but we're finishing here together.

In my case I've been concerned about peak oil since the gasoline lines of the mid-seventies. At the time I discounted much of the original "Limits to Growth" as I thought that it was a temporary bump due to increased life expectancy from antibiotics and modern farming techniques. Always the futrurist, and inherently an optimist, up until recently I felt that we might smart our way out of impending doom by use of  GNR: genetic engineering, nanotechnology, and robotics. Sure, the world population was growing, and so was our debt, but we had science.

Unfortunatley, we also have politicians and bankers. I was in NYC working as a heavy construction engineer when the 2008 crash hit. Over 50-years old, and seeing my retirement slowly eaten away by bad policy, worse debt and inflation, I decided to move somewhere more rural. I met my new husband online, impressed that he has already taken the red pill, too. When the US debt curve went exponetial we were engaged. When we married and I moved to SC we immediately started prepping. Our new church has a young pastor was also a prepper and he shared the Crash Course with us.

For us The Crash Course was a capstone. It tied all we knew and sensed together into an seamless whole. Like many conservatives we came to take the red pill due to Economic and Energy matters, and the CC made us more aware of the Environmental issues - for example, that modern farming techniques were unsustainable due to their use of dwindling oil. Since then this site been incredibly useful in our prepping to have community and direction from experts on various threads and in the WSID posts.

jturbo68's picture
jturbo68
How I started

I would say that Ishmael by Daniel Quinn had probably the biggest influence on starting me on this path. I began looking to understand what was going on with our way of life.

I dont remember exactly how I found CM, but it was probably only a matter of  of a few google searches after discovering Peak Oil from movies like Crude Awakening and What A Way To Go.

John

patrickhenry's picture
patrickhenry
plato1965 wrote:  Stumbled

plato1965 wrote:

Stumbled upon Ron Paul in late 07, and the Money as Debt video (Paul Grignon), which led me to Peter Schiff, then followed a forum/youtube link to CM.com in early '08 when the videos were up to about part #11.

As the later (eagerly awaited) parts of the CC appeared,  I finally understood the Peak Oil argument and energy/economy connection ...

So from liberty to understanding it's relation to money, to understanding the connections to energy... environment, demographics... etc.

Basically a sequence of connections from something where I said "hey, this guy makes sense !" to a related connection... in a way it's the web itself that deserves some credit... by allowing related issues to cross-fertilise... via links.

Ditto, pretty much

Katebois's picture
Katebois
Just a few months ago I was

Just a few months ago I was cruising through the Kindle bookstore online and TheCrashCourse came up when I was looking for a book to explain the constant increase in the price of groceries. The title, CC, sounded exaggerated to me the first few times it came up under "economics"; but later, after I had read several books about the possible outcome of the growing national debt the title didnt seem exaggerated at all. CM put all the bits together for me; but the whole concept of a crash in MY time was hard to accept. I read more books trying to find a good reason to discount what I had read in CC; but finally had to admit to myself that I wasn't going to be able to read these troublesome possibilities away. I was concerned about being "sucked" into a charismatic idea; so I purposely tried to stay away from CM's Internet site. While i wasn't totally convinced that the worst could happen I felt compelled to channel my concern into some kind of action. So cautiously I began sampling the WSIDs. I couldn't believe the depth of knowledge available at the site or that people had known about and been preparing since at least 2008. I am still hoping that a rosier solution will present itself; but I am not prepared to risk my family's future on hope alone. -Kate from No Louisiana.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Very useful insights

Thanks for starting this post, Poet. And thanks to those who are sharing their stories - this is very useful information for us here at CM.com.

We're working behind the scenes on a number of improvements to the site. Understanding how our active members found their way here and became engaged with the material will help us make sure we remain focused on this site's "true north" during this process. 

When we're a bit further along in our planning, I'll share specifics and ask for your feedback. But in the meantime, please keep the contributions to this thread coming!

Those interested in my own story of finding my way to this site can watch me explain it here (I start talking at 1m:14s). This is from way back in the dark ages (almost a year ago!), before Chris and I partnered up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hojTLJDH4aM 

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Summer '08

I stumbled upon the Crash Course during the late summer of 2008. Someone in one of the forums at dailypaul.com mentioned the CC. Up to that point, I had no idea what was going on. Everything was hunky dory and I was just one of the sheep. I am so glad to have found this incredible community.

goes211's picture
goes211
Threepeat!

patrickhenry wrote:

plato1965 wrote:

Ditto, pretty much

Make that three

goes211's picture
goes211
Adam wrote: Those interested

Adam wrote:

Those interested in my own story of finding my way to this site can watch me explain it here (I start talking at 1m:14s). This is from way back in the dark ages (almost a year ago!), before Chris and I partnered up:

Adam,

I must have missed your bio.  Are you still with Yahoo or are you now with CM.com fulltime?

thc0655's picture
thc0655
goldsilver.com

Feb. 2010 got back on the Internet (with a Mac, this time) after a ten year absence (I was fed up with the security issues on my PC).  Read Mike Maloney's Investing in Gold and Silver, and then went to his website goldsilver.com.  From there I linked to the CC and I was off to the races.  I remember not being able to sleep after many of the CC episodes, I was so hyped up!  I'll never forget being handcuffed to the top row at Fenway Park and watching the water rise exponentially.  I've never been interested in math or money (which are roughly the same thing to me), but I am interested in survival, especially survival after retirement, and leaving something for my kids.  For over a year now, I've been consuming mass quantities of material on the 3 E's and my wife and I have been prepping with determination.  I'm very grateful to have found this site.

rhare's picture
rhare
Economy -> Liberty -> Crash Course

Like many others I came to find the CC out of Liberty and Economic concerns.  In late 2008 after the crash  I had some spare time and begin researching what to do with my investments since being hit over the head and learning that clearly bad things can happen in stocks and housing.  At that time almost any search would quickly lead one to the Peter Schiff was Right video which contained clips of Peter Schiff and Ron Paul talking about the housing and economic issues back in 2006 and 2007 and being ridiculed by the MSM.  So I picked up a copy of Peter Schiff's book Crash Proof and Ron Paul's book The Revolution and they made sense, unlike much of the Keynesian crap you get on CNBC. 

Being in DC at the time I went to see Paul speak at the 2009 Liberty Forum at CPAC.  While there the guy sitting next to me asked if I had heard about the Crash Course, I hadn't and he told me to check it out.  The whole conversation was about 20 seconds, not even a web address,  just the name that I scribbled on a post-it note.  A week or so later I found the note and hunted around until I found it on-line.  I stayed up all night and watched it twice - I felt just like Neo taking the red pill.  A week later I was at the CC Lowesville seminar where I got to meet Chris, Becca, Dogs, Cat, and many others - a truly life changing experience.

So my transition from living in the Matrix to crazed peak oiler, prepper, Austrian economist, Libertarian (or at least knowing what to call my political beliefs) was about 3 months.  I think my significant other, family and friends thought I had a gone mad. Tongue out  I also wish I knew who the guy was at CPAC so that I could thank him and let him know how much of an impact that 20 second conversation had.   It's why I tell everyone about the CC since I know how just a brief mention might have a huge impact on someone searching for answers.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
I'm definitely 'full-time' here

goes -

I left Yahoo! a few weeks after this video was shot in June 2010 (I had announced my departure date before meeting Chris). After getting to know each other through this speaking event, Chris and I decided to join forces last summer. I've been working full-time (perhaps better described as "all-the-time") on CM.com ever since.

If you want the sordid details of my work background, find them here.

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD
Adam, Saw your linked in

Adam,

Saw your linked in page, you have some amazing credentials. Its good to see you working with CM. I continue to market the crash course to as many people as I can.

goes211's picture
goes211
Adam wrote: goes - I left

Adam wrote:

goes -

I left Yahoo! a few weeks after this video was shot in June 2010 (I had announced my departure date before meeting Chris). After getting to know each other through this speaking event, Chris and I decided to join forces last summer. I've been working full-time (perhaps better described as "all-the-time") on CM.com ever since.

If you want the sordid details of my work background, find them here.

Wow!  I thought you were full-time but I had no idea that you had such a successful background.  Hopefully you made some money during the dotcom era, allowing you now the freedom to follow your heart.  Cheers!

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
I am a long time reader of Jeff Nielson's commentary.

I am a long time reader of Jeff Nielson's commentary on gold and silver.

http://www.bullionbullscanada.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=48&Itemid=108

He mentioned the Crash Course as being the best explaination of our current situation and a must view. Once I began to watch the Crash Course I was shocked by its clarity and insight.

Thanks Jeff!

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
I found CMdotcom at the

I found CMdotcom at the Yahoo group EnergyResources where I cut my teeth on Peak Oil.  From memory, it was Jay Hansen who recommended ER people visit the Crash Course...  That was nearly three years ago now!

Dutch John's picture
Dutch John
How I came here

I read about the Crash Course on the Yahoo Wastewatts group. Chris had just finished lesson # 12. Daily vistor since that time.

Regards, DJ

Travlin's picture
Travlin
I just stumbled onto it

The second crash in March 2009 told me things were a lot worse than was being admitted.  I started surfing the internet for better explanations of the economy and investments.  I cast a wide net for a long time.  In December 09 an unknown link took me to the Crash Course on YouTube.  I was impressed by the way Chris separated facts, opinions, and beliefs.  He used sound data, presented in a very clear and concise manner, to build a solid case.  When he said we have an economy that must grow, based on energy supplies that can’t grow, it rocked my world.  I’d never even heard of peak oil.  The implications were profound.  I finished the remaining chapters in a state of shock.

I have never seen a presentation that was so convincing, on such complex matters.  I let it sit several days and then watched it again to look for flaws.  I am a congenital skeptic who has read many books on many subjects.  Critical thinking is a key value for me.  I have seen many well formed arguments that were not convincing.  I knew from the strength of my initial reaction that I would be hard pressed to find a serious flaw with the Crash Course, but I tried.  I looked at other sources and views, but they just weren’t convincing.  I had to accept the Crash Course and its unsettling implications.

I lurked at this site for a few months and was impressed by the quality of the members and their posts.  Many were very intelligent , knowledgeable and thoughtful.  Chris’ reports were consistently impressive.  I found myself spending less time at other sites and more here.  I finally enrolled because this struck me as the best source on the web for the vital information I needed.

I know Chris was trained as a scientist to go beyond what we currently know, and formulate ideas about were the data leads.  He works very hard to do that well.  What is amazing is how accurate he is.  Occasionally I have felt that some of his thoughts were overly speculative and perhaps somewhat alarmist.  The Gulf oil spill last spring was a prime example.  But it turned out his calls were very accurate.  Fukashima was another example.  Yes, I thought, in a worst case, those bad things could happen, but the probability was low, and he might be getting ahead of the evidence.  Well in that case he was again proved right in spades.

I’ve seen the same accuracy repeatedly on a smaller scale with his economic predictions.  This is the area he has studied most thoroughly.  No matter how speculative and ominous Chris’s economic warnings may seem, experience has shown that it is dangerous to disregard them.  He can’t always be right about a very complex and dynamic situation, but I have no doubt he will do his honest best, and revise as needed.  I’m acting accordingly.

Heed Chris.  Trust yourself.  Act promptly.  As Chris says, “It is better to be a year early than a day late.”

plato1965's picture
plato1965
Fukushima was another

Fukushima was another example.  Yes, I thought, in a worst case, those bad things could happen, but the probability was low, and he might be getting ahead of the evidence.  Well in that case he was again proved right in spades.

Absolutely. I was still in the grasping for hopeful straws stage for a week or so...

Chris pretty much nailed it from day one... including the potential economic implications.

cnbbaldwin's picture
cnbbaldwin
Referral from mom

It has been so interesting to read about the various routes taken to Chris Martenson and his site.   My own route, although I didn't know it at the time, began in the 90's when I met a very incredible person in her own right, Chris' mom.  I had been a biochemist by training, as well as, by avocation for about 10 years before a series of odd events brought me to a very small and esoteric part of the financial services business.  My heart was never behind the type of work I did (and still do after almost 20 years), but the very poor excuse of  "it puts bread on the table for my family" was enough to rationalize my existence there.  If my recollection is correct, early in 2006 Chris' mom told me (and I paraphrase here) that her son had been doing a lot of research over the last year or so and that my beliefs about how money and other worldly things worked might be seriously challenged by her son's research.  I think she may have even used the work "genius" in her discussion with me and that he would be presenting a 2 day seminar at the Watkinson School in West Hartford, CT in a couple of weeks, if I were interested.  It was an understatement to say that my beliefs were seriously challenged by this confident,  knowledgable, and polished speaker.  I had enough background in all of the areas that Chris talked about those two days to come away saying " how come I didn't see all this, of course this is how it all works, and perhaps more importantly, this is how it will end."   Since that weekend, now long ago, I have continued to work in my little corner of the financial world feeling like an FBI informant that has infiltrated a powerful group that is very connected to many of the problems Chis has warned about.  Over the years, I sometimes attend rather small meetings with rather high level "economic" figures present.   Last week was an example with the top economist from The Wharton School, and a very well connected Washington lobbyist from the powerful insurance industry providing us their insights.   I only bring this up to say that while these types are just now finally beginning to show some signs of fear and acceptance that the future may be painful, the arrogance and belief that somehow we will work out of this "predicament" is still very much present.  In no way have they connected the dots;  some, but definitely not ALL, and therefore, I am absolutely convinced that our future well being is very much up to each one of us.  We our on our own.   My Epilogue:  After two years of an intensive search for land and a new home, my wife and I will be closing next month on a nome with 40 acres in VT.  I will be leaving my "FBI informant" position before much longer and look forward to a very different, but rewarding future.  Thank you Chris, and thank you all for the invaluable education and support you have provided to me.  Best to all.

Bruce

Macs's picture
Macs
My journey here...

This looks like as good a thread as any for my first post - so, first 'Hi everyone'!

My journey probably works best in reverse... I FINALLY watched the Crash Course videos a couple of months ago, after finding an interview with CM on a permaculture YouTube channel. Can't remember who the interviewer was now, but thought 'this guy actually makes sense', so went over to the CC vids and went through the whole lot in one loooong sitting. It confirmed where I was at already, but the way it was presented was so cogent.

I'd heard OF the Crash Course a lot whilst I was a regular at LATOC - but had never got around to watching it back then. I'd been convinced of peak oil by about 2006/2007, after first encounter in approx 2001 which had subsided in the noise of daily life. I'd spent quite a few years as a rather active tree-hugger by then, and was burnt out, really on the realisation that we had already 'lost' on climate change - not the argument, but the battle. I was retiring, beaten and bruised, but once I saw PO coming down the line AS WELL, then somehow I got my sense of urgency back and twigged it was still worth fighting on. And once again, the best solution we have still seems like permaculture - so I'm heading back into that after my diversion into lobbying/direct action. 

And as I took my permaculture design course back in '92, I'm seeing how much of a diversion I've taken over the years. But it was all useful experience in between. My one regret is the 20-year old trees I could have had if I hadn't been so nomadic in between.

If I go further back, as long as I can remember I've always had that niggling feeling that the world was all wrong. Now I can name that wrongness and finally do something about it.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Hi Macs

Good first post Macs.

Nice to see you here on CM.

Welcome!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments