Growth

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
aliendancer's picture
aliendancer
Growth

I've been listening to all the videos up to this point and they all make sense to me. I've spent the last 10 years in college / Grad school studying social justice although it wasn't offered as a major you could get the classes that offered social justice information by taking anthropology, religious studies, and theology & ethics classes. Thing is while I only took one required economics class which made growth out to be good, this was exactly the opposite of what my social justice classes said about it. So at least up to this point I think these classes are providing some good info that many people never hear and need to know. I can't really make any decision yet at this point what I will conclude about the course until I view the rest of it.

What I can't understand is why people don't understand that on a finite planet unlimited growth is not good nor even possible. At some point you run out of resources. That's common sense.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: Growth

Hi Aliendancer

Welcome to CM!

What I can't understand is why people don't understand that on a finite planet unlimited growth is not good nor even possible.

Because this Amurica and aboitic oil will keep ol' glory flyin' forever.

Yep...I'm joking.

h2oBoy's picture
h2oBoy
Richard Heinberg's End of Growth

A timely, and very well researched and written book. Everyone should read it.

Review at 

Richard Heinberg | The End of Growth

richardheinberg.com/bookshelf/the-end-of-growth-book

The End of Growth proposes a startling diagnosis: humanity has reached a ...

Poet's picture
Poet
Intensity Increases With Desperation

In a decline-type environment, you likely will see the following occur:

Think Best Buy and Amazon.com growing only because Circuit City goes bankrupt and closes. Think Bed, Bath, and Beyond growing only because Linens 'n Things went bankrupt and closed their physical stores. Think retail and restaurant chains able to survive or grow due to strong business models and/or war chests - in an environment when many others are closing.

Increased emphasis on buying politics. To lobby for favorable legislation, such as to create additional regulatory barriers to entry for others, or reduce taxes, or open up markets or lock in advantages. It's essentially bribery to create a better business environment to either an industry (by an industry group or cartel) or a specific company (if large enough to control most of a market). Yes, it's always been the case. But it will get more intense like fish in an over-crowded pond. Businesses will do what they can to improve their situation, and buying politicians has always been much cheaper and more reliable than actually doing R&D or marketing.

Poet

maceves's picture
maceves
growth

Then there's Limits to Growth from MIT

http://limits-to-growth.org/

You could make a bug jar and take it to the professor, as per my post on 4/12--it does make a point.  Or if you are the professor, keep the gross thing on your desk and you will have lots of opportunities to explain it.

A lot of the talking heads in Washington are scared silly and just keep talking a positive spin.  They are as afraid of mass panic as much as they are of anything else--They more they know, the less likely they are to get real with us.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments