Future Business or Employment Ideas

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kansaslandscape's picture
Kansaslandscape
Future Business or Employment Ideas

I am a landscape architect practicing on my own for three years now, with a previous ten years of employment. Since I do not qualify for government contract jobs work has been sparse. I know there are many "middle management" architects and engineers that suffered the same fate. Since my skillset is mostly construction-based, I find no immediate employment opportunites. At this time, I am researching a vocational skillset to transition into. One idea was welding. Another was well boring (oil, gas, geothermal, or water). Solar/Wind renewables worry me since there is still little public demand at this time, and have little desire to wait it out. 

I am curious to hear what others in a similar situation are considering. I hear of "man camps" in North Dakot a where people work the oil fields and make a six figure income. My research continues to produce fake leads and heady promises.

Your thoughts?

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
welding yes.

There are jobs for welders here  in Kansas . $15-28 per hour with benifits.        Even if you need to get a farming job welding is a bonus .

Kansaslandscape's picture
Kansaslandscape
security retreats

I agree, the future skillsets will require some level of cross pollination between industries. Vocational skillsets that appeal to electronics, manufacturing, and agriculture might be the direction to go.

I heard three different civil/structural engineers call popular talk radio programs and talk about this problem over the week, ironically enough. With the collapse of the construction industry, there is a retooling of the American job market.

As a landscape architect, I have been able to work on two "security retreats" for two wealthy individuals in Kansas City. I find this line of work VERY fascinating but find it difficult to adequately market a service that is expected to go unseen.  

Saffron's picture
Saffron
Kansaslandscape wrote:   As

Kansaslandscape wrote:

As a landscape architect, I have been able to work on two "security retreats" for two wealthy individuals in Kansas City. I find this line of work VERY fascinating but find it difficult to adequately market a service that is expected to go unseen.  

Word of mouth is the best marketing ... it couldn't hurt to ask for your name to be passed on to others who are similarly interested. I would think -  especially in this line of work - customers would prefer to hire someone referred to them rather than hiring from a flier.

~ s 

bbobwat33's picture
bbobwat33
move to northern virginia

something like 1 out of every 4 federal tax dollars is spent in fairfax county virginia alone. that's not including the other counties surrounding DC. because of the lay of the land the majority of homes require. some bulkheading or serious landscape considerations.  i do remodeling and we are crazy busy.  

here's some landscape engineer jobs just from browsing craigslist:

washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/egr/2803959070.html

washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/egr/2807489731.html

washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/egr/2820874648.html

washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/egr/2829208844.html

derek12's picture
derek12
Kansaslandscape wrote: I am

Kansaslandscape wrote:

I am a landscape architect practicing on my own for three years now, with a previous ten years of employment. Since I do not qualify for government contract jobs work has been sparse. I know there are many "middle management" architects and engineers that suffered the same fate. Since my skillset is mostly construction-based, I find no immediate employment opportunites. At this time, I am researching a vocational skillset to transition into. One idea was welding. Another was well boring (oil, gas, geothermal, or water). Solar/Wind renewables worry me since there is still little public demand at this time, and have little desire to wait it out. 

I am curious to hear what others in a similar situation are considering. I hear of "man camps" in North Dakot a where people work the oil fields and make a six figure income. My research continues to produce fake leads and heady promises.

Your thoughts?

Brother, i am going through a similar situation as you are. I have decided to move to some other city like south dakota or california as the prospect of jobs there is more than what is it in Kansas. So i would also suggest you the same...

devvie's picture
devvie
Business ideas? I sometimes

Business ideas? I sometimes wonder if this is the most important thing, I find business strategies a far more important thinking theme, it all depends on them. Bradley S Cohen opened my eyes on this matter and now I am putting some effort to think outside the box.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments