Egypt, Snowstorms, Oil $100, Oh My

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
Egypt, Snowstorms, Oil $100, Oh My

I'm in a nervous mood.  Just wondering if anyone else feels that way?  I keep trying to find news on Egypt that will tell me that the fury is winding down.  I read an article on Zero Hedge about Oil at $100 and people responding that oil is never going back and deflation is here tomorrow, no wait it's hyper-inflation here tomorrow...I'm so confused.

Then for icing on my worry cake, they are predicting like 2 feet of snow in my area by Wednesday.  So I'm trying to fill up my truck waiting in a 45 min. line for very expensive (when did the prices jump, yesterday?) diesel.  I look across the street at the parking lot of the local grocery and it's PACKED.  It's hitting me that this is people motivated by a coming storm.

I have food, I reassure myself, no need to jump into the foray.  I have fuel too, if I don't want to sit in a gas line.  I have some cash, I have some PM's.  I have stuff.  Why do I still feel so uneasy?  Is it just me?

aarondenal's picture
aarondenal
Re: Egypt, Snowstorms, Oil $100, Oh My

No, not just you.  i think there is a sense of collective strain due to teetering on the edge of status quo.  The weather stuff just adds to the reality (it is snowing where I am too).

I am in the process of major decision making (where to go, what to do, to sell, to buy, to pack, etc) right now, which is not advisable during the incredible uncertainty now.  But when will it be any different, I ask myself, and then plod along.

One thing I like to think of when I feel a bit overwhelmed by life, is to come back to the present moment.  Like you said, you have basic necessities worked out.  I like to feel my feet beneath me and look around at my beautiful kids and realize that there is a lot to be thankful for.

Good luck and thanks for the post.  I am glad I am not the only one on this site who worries, sometimes I feel like I am.

sevenmmm's picture
sevenmmm

Romans12.2 wrote:

I'm in a nervous mood.  Just wondering if anyone else feels that way?  I keep trying to find news on Egypt that will tell me that the fury is winding down.  I read an article on Zero Hedge about Oil at $100 and people responding that oil is never going back and deflation is here tomorrow, no wait it's hyper-inflation here tomorrow...I'm so confused.

Then for icing on my worry cake, they are predicting like 2 feet of snow in my area by Wednesday.  So I'm trying to fill up my truck waiting in a 45 min. line for very expensive (when did the prices jump, yesterday?) diesel.  I look across the street at the parking lot of the local grocery and it's PACKED.  It's hitting me that this is people motivated by a coming storm.

I have food, I reassure myself, no need to jump into the foray.  I have fuel too, if I don't want to sit in a gas line.  I have some cash, I have some PM's.  I have stuff.  Why do I still feel so uneasy?  Is it just me?

Yeah, me too. Think I'll just sit home the next few days and surf the net.

Everything looks so clean and white outside, I might even go and get my grandson and take him sledding.

BuzzTatom's picture
BuzzTatom

Joining the crowd w/o all the snow in Tx. Very uneasy and finding that rising over the last several months. Just don't feel like everything that is being held together by chewing gum and baling wire can be held together much longer. Not sure what happens but I can think of no other time in my life where so many millions of factors could set a chain reaction that could fundamentally change our lives. Problem is in the past I could always see that if govt did this or that we could turn it around. Don't see that anymore. Just when or what event might set it off. God Bless.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

These days, I seem to live my day-to-day on a state of double-yellow alert -- just one liiiittle tick down from red alert.  Red Alert of course being when things tip into some sort of freefall -- or, to use Dr. Chris' analogy, the moment when the bowling ball reaches the edge of the next step down.

It certainly does not do any good for my state of mind to have all the excitement going on over in the ME.  After all, it's not just Egypt, but a half-dozen other countries are developing some serious wobble.  We'll all be glad we prepared if things get hot over in Saudi.

But I take comfort in what preps I have, and I keep putting one foot in front of the other with respect to work, sleep, eating well, playing with the dog, playing with my wife, and so forth.  

Tonight I do paperwork, pay some bills for our biz, do a metric ton of filing for same (whee!), then pack 2 days of food and clothes (I leave the house for work @ our far-away biz location at 5:30 a.m. on Tuesday and don't come back until 7 p.m. Wednesday).  And we also have some heinous weather coming our way -- snow, then sleet, then rain, then freezing rain, then snow again between now and Thursday early morning.  

At least I really enjoy driving in horrible weather.  Seriously.  Set my pickup to 4x4, turn up the tunes, and let hell come down.  It's as close as I get these days to the same buzz I usedta get playing rugby.  Laughing

Seriously, 12.2:  chin up.  We can do this.  Heck, we *are* doing this, and have been for some time.  

Viva -- Sager

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Oh, and one other thing:

To the extent that I/we have made good use of the last couple years preparing, I'm reasonably at peace w/what's to come.  The fact that I've felt like we've been living on borrowed time for months now (since Benny Bananas started hyping QE2, give or take) makes me feel like I'm getting away with something every time I hammer down one more nail of preparation.

Although it'd be nice if I could have a couple more weeks -- a ginormous order of wholesale-cost cooking oils, spices and dietary salt will arrive by mid-month -- before things go kerflooey.

aarondenal's picture
aarondenal

SagerXX,

Benny Bananas and kerflooey. 

Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle.

land2341's picture
land2341

I had been feeling pretty calm and secure recently actually.  Even the weather was not messing with my calm when the power went out we were cool with it.  

Went sledding with the kids, had lots of fun - forgot how old I was until morning!  LOL!

Egypt was not even getting me too wound up --  right up until I was listening to the news on the way home from work and this commentator was going on about how great the market was doing and how there were all of these positive indicators.  

Then I got that sinking feeling.....  

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2

Yes! Yes! Land, that's exactly my feeling too.  Why do people fear the snow?  It's the money, stupid.  That's what I want to yell in the street.  A monster storm is coming - only it's not as predictable as the weather channel.  I think it's just about too late to do anything. 

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79

I suppose those who have developed a sardonic sense of humor, like Kunstler, are fairing better in these times:

The key to all that is oil, of course, and mainly the oil of Saudi Arabia. King Abdullah there is at least 86 years old and in poor health.  Crown Prince Sultan, his successor, isn't much younger. If ever a country was ripe for a political flipping it is this shaky kingdom. Everyone from the White House to Foggy Bottom to Langley, Virginia, is probably messing his/her pants this week wondering how much longer the lid can be kept on that joint.

The other option is to practice the old saying - "Ignorance is bliss." But it's too late because you've already taken the red pill.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

xraymike79 wrote:

The other option is to practice the old saying - "Ignorance is bliss." But it's too late because you've already taken the red pill.

More like the brave half of me held the chicken half of me down while the crazy half of me poured a whole bottle of red pills down my gullet!

But your point is well-taken.  Laughing

Viva -- Sager

leweke1's picture
leweke1

I love this place and the people who post here...a sort of bridge over troubled water...

Carl

ao's picture
ao

SagerXX wrote:

But I take comfort in what preps I have, and I keep putting one foot in front of the other with respect to work, sleep, eating well, playing with the dog, playing with my wife, and so forth.  

SagerXX,

I couldn't agree more.  Chop wood, carry water.

joemanc's picture
joemanc

People are scalping snow rakes, yes, snow rakes up here! Some of these stores are selling 500-1000 snow rakes in a day! In a normal year, they might sell 5 or 10. It looks like Black Friday, with people lined up outside the store waiting for theirs.

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson

I have been nervous lately, too.  Making the decisions as to how far to prepare is stressful.  I've gotten my finances in order, i have a deep pantry, i have bought a moped, and I have just decided to put some k-1 kerosene in an underground storage tank.  I continue to add to my PMs, but when everyone around you thinks you are a nut it is hard.  I guess that is the curse of leadership. 

The riots in Egypt have not made it easier.  What if all this spreads through the major oil countries?  Doubtful, but still.  We all know the stock market is a bubble of fake money.  When does it burst?  When is QE3?

I could go on, but there really are a lot of things going on.  I told a friend I was taking a profit in one of my oil stocks and putting it into PMs.  Innocently, he asked me to let him know when the market was going to crash.  I had to laugh, but I sent him a video off YouTube which gives an example of a collapse.  I explained how complicated the problems were that he should prepare now.  Not wait.

You are in good company Romans.

RNcarl's picture
RNcarl

SagerXX wrote:

xraymike79 wrote:

More like the brave half of me held the chicken half of me down while the crazy half of me poured a whole bottle of red pills down my gullet!

But your point is well-taken.  Laughing

Viva -- Sager

I took the red pill.... then coughed it up.

I moved my family to a warmer climate, but in the lunatic frey of finding affordable housing..... I blew it! I now own (chained to debt) a typical suburban nightmare (by this group's standard); 3 bed 2 1/2 bath ALL ELECTRIC 2000+ sq. ft. subdivision house!!! - Sadly, I knew better.

At least I had the good sense to NOT sell my house back home.

My wife has taken neither pill and does not want to believe what is about to happen. I am still not sure if I believe what is about to happen, will happen in our lifetime. There are folks that have been saying this same thing for decades. WWI - WWII - Y2K - 9/11 Pick your "catastrophe." "The end of the world as we know it" has been sung for generations.

What makes it different this time?

What I do see, is an America that has a lower standard of living going forward than anyone born after 1950 or so has been accustomed to living. I believe that the US has been "taken over" by the banksters since the formation of the Fed and it has just taken this long to steal the wealth of this country away from the citizens. Think about that for a moment. It has taken about 100 years to consume - rather steal the collective wealth (think resources not money) from those (us - little letters) who owned it. Now, I submit to you that it will take less than that amount of time to completely ruin it. Call it the "Three - E's" or what ever you want. We have hit that turn in the curve.

But, what I also have seen, (I can't point to studies on what I am about to say) is an incredible ability for this land to heal itself. Just by the order of magnitude this continent can produce (sustain) a population with a reasonable quality of life (not exactly "MTV" but more like  the "Walton's") over the course of the next few decades. Unfortunately for me, that is going to be the period of time that I will need the most help.

Therefore, the most important thing I (we) can do, is prepare the generation coming up. Yes, we can all hide in our  re-purposed 1950's bomb shelters with our MRE's and arsenal of weapons.-.or - we can teach those who will come after us to carry the torch of sustainability.

The lessons I want to learn are those that were taught after the first "great depression" (the pinch felt from the first looting by the banksters). I remember laughing at my father (an adult in the first depression) for saving pencils, rubber bands, and cloth. We had a garden every year until he as too old to tend it. He never owned stocks (too risky), paid off our home, bought PM's etc.

FWIW

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2

The bread and bottled water aisle in our kroger is empty.  I'm leaving for Walmart just to see.  I'm prepared for this but can't help wanting to see the people rush to buy everything.  In a real panic of course I would stay home and be safe, but this is just 24 inches of snow....no bigee.  I've got a 12 year old diesel ford excursion with a snowplow.Laughing

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Probably not too much comfort for some of you, but this quote and outlook serves me well - not bad for something said over 2000 years ago.

"Tis foolish to fear what cannot be avoided."  Publilius Syrus

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

You guys need to calm down!  All this stress about what could happen will drive you insane. The sheeple who don't have a clue about any of the behind the scenes info are doing fine, going to work, hanging out with friends and enjoying their lives. Now Im not advocating that we put our heads in the sand but at the same time we can enjoy our lives and not have to freak out over future uncertainty. Its not like China and the US are lobbing nuclear warheads at each other. Its not like the Saudi regime has tumbled causing oil exports to cease. Its not like a 9.7 magnitude earthquake has hit LA causing millions of deaths and billions of damage.

Focus on the FACTS. US owes 9.5 trillion in marketable debt, with the remaining amount being owed to citizens which will surely not be paid in full. Japan hit 200% public debt to GDP, with the USA have 10,000 nukes, issuing the world reserve currency, I would not be surprised that the USA can also hit 200% public debt to GDP. I know that US and Japan are different with Jpn having a big export market and high savings rate but dont forget that the US is the big bully of the planet and issues the reserve currency. 

My point is that the present situation can easily last for another 3-4 years, then we have a 1 year crisis, then a few years of stability, then another crisis. Why worry all this time when you can enjoy your life to the fullest! If you have a job, great! If you can save, great! We at least know NOW not to get into crazy debt. If anything, we should be thankful that we have educated ourselves as to what MAY occur.

There are so many unknown factors out there that can change the course of the future. China can suffer a smackdown causing their oil imports to fall causing a crash in the price. We all saw what happened in 08 when oil spiked: demand went through the floor causing oil prices to follow. There are so many possibilties. Trying to figure out exactly what will happen can and will drive you crazy. Every moment you fret about this is a moment of happiness lost forever.

Here is a perfect example: During the Cuban missile crisis, two mechanics. Mechanic A follows the news day and night and is convinced that a nuclear war will break out. Mechanic B focuses on his shop. 5 years pass. Mechanic A lost lots of time, energy and health worrying about what COULD happen while mechanic B focused on his shop, improved his business and doubled his sales. Mech A isolated himself from friends and family while Mech B was happier in life.

The ancient Greeks had a saying, "everything in moderation."

Take care, and ENJOY your lives!

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2

BMT - Thank you. 

Your last quote reminded me I have failed to stock up on any wine. 

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

Romans:

Dont forget to stock up on puzzles, board games, cards, poker chips, pencils and notebooks!

doorwarrior's picture
doorwarrior

BMT,

You are completely correct. I went throught the last couple of years thinkg the sky was falling tomorrow, lol. I prepped as hard and as fast as I could, gathering food, medical, PM's, self defence and other necessities. I have gotten to a point where most of my prep is done ( we know its never really done but I feel comfortable now) and I sit here thinking "now what?". 

I have stopped worring about the day to day problems in the world and I feel much lighter for it. The system will not collapse in a day or a week or a month. Enjoy life and those arround you to the fullest extent possible!!

Rich

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

RNcarl wrote:
What makes it different this time?

Hockey sticks Carl, hockey sticks.........

BTW, whoever started this thread left out unprecedented flooding right down the E coast of Australia (some places in Victoria, I read in MSM, will be underwater for TWO MONTHS!!), and now, ta dum, the biggest and strongest cyclone (known as hurricane in your neck of the woods) to ever hit Australia in living memory.

Yesteday, I filled my 2L 4 cyl car with premium, and it cost me....... ONE HUNDRED AND TEN BUCKS!!  It's amazing how even when you KNOW the price of gas is gonna go up, it still shocks you when you have to fork out three digit money to pay for a tank.....

Mike

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

DTM wrote:

Yesteday, I filled my 2L 4 cyl car with premium, and it cost me....... ONE HUNDRED AND TEN BUCKS!!  It's amazing how even when you KNOW the price of gas is gonna go up, it still shocks you when you have to fork out three digit money to pay for a tank.....

No way, Mike!  I'm going to have to stop crapping when I  pay 40 or 50 bucks for a fill-up!

Jbarney's picture
Jbarney

Responding to the very level headed poster on the previous page:

I hope you are right. I was happy to read your post.  So many issues out there.  The thing that always makes me nervous though, is the slow crawl of my prep.  We are on a limited budget, have gone through the CM assessments, and the money commitments just are really tough to deal with.  Trying to reduce debt and feeling constrained....

But your email was a pleasant one to read.  I first took the red pill back in October.  Was off at work the next day.

Days...weeks....months later...at least I am preparing, slowly.

By the way, storm is crazy here in the North East.

Jason

SteveW's picture
SteveW

Interesting thread, as I sit here in my retirement watching the various goings on with some moderate interest while my blue pill wife reads her 3rd novel of the week.

Did the regular grocery shopping Monday and while I find it hard to pinpoint any specific items its seems our expense is up around 10%. Filled the Prius for $43 and we only seem to be getting about 475 miles on a tank at current winter temperatures. Its only 6 months old with less than 1500 miles, since we only drive locally. I expect it to be my last car and got it to save on operating costs (our previous 1990 machine finally died of electrical failure when recurrent faults indicated deteriorated insulation).

Put Al Jazeera on the TV at least daily to get their sense of the Middle East situation. Looks like Mubaruk has sent in his thugs and the mostly peaceful demonstrations are degenerating into something akin to civil war. Fortunately the Egyptians don't have second amendment rights as I mentally transpose the situation to the US and my mind drifts back to the race riots of the mid 60's.

Watched the scenes of Lakeshore Drive Expressway in Chicago, where we lived in the early 70's. Traffic simply became impossibly stuck and the folks were rescued by the fire department and the cars will be towed. Just too much snow as it comes in from the lake while the Expressway is completely flat. Considering that the winter is a more severe repeat of the last and that it might well be the new normal due to climate change and instability. Temperatures in Baffin Island are said to have been 30 degrees above normal long term averages. I guess that'll be good for the Baffin iron ore project, especially if it can be shipped to China through the ice free arctic during the summer.

Still need to get that batch of must decanted and fined, then we'll have another 30 bottles ready for laying down. Trouble is it seems to be getting heavier to lift as I get older. Drinking it though does appear to help the back pain.

Last I sold stock on the NYSE yesterday to generate $US for our cruise later this year, stock that I bought in Toronto. Using a discount broker the fees are always less than the rate that any financial institution uses for retail forex. Wonder how much longer I'll be able to take cruises with my wife, who has a bad back, and how much longer I'll feel safe travelling. I guess we're doing our part to deplete JP4 and bunker oil, selfish folks that we are. FrownEmbarassed At least we're just trying to live "normally" until TSHTF.

dshields's picture
dshields

I am a little nervous also.  Every day I go to work (wall street company) and see and hear odd things.  Just watch the markets.  Fundamentals do not mean jack any more.  CM is right - the Fed Res is distorting all the markets one way or another.  Unrest in the Arab world is like a ticking bomb.  No telling what will happen there.  The Fed and State govs have spent WAY too much money.  The class of dependency keeps growing.  Unemployment, as in real unemployment, is probably going up - it is hard to tell as there are so many lies and twisted truths in the media.  I have become convinced that gov data can not be trusted as it is twisted and distorted also.  Commodities are surging.  The Obama people are pushing an anti-american agenda and upsetting the majority of the nation.  Basically there is madness everywhere you look.

And yet, things just keep rolling along.  It simply can not keep doing this forever.  Something is going to give.  One thing is pretty much assured.  In the age of computers and fast communications, when the dam breaks, it will go fast.

Yep - I am a little nervous every day.

idoctor's picture
idoctor

when the dam breaks, it will go fast.

Just like Egypt.....I had no idea they were so close to the edge?? Ask the people over there if it paid to"prep" a little?  Oh  & ask the Russians about thier Famous Ruble....maybe the #7 ruble will be the lucky one? If Saudi Arabia goes the way of Egypt $300  barrel oil?

History

Five hundred rubles featuring Peter the Great, 1912

[edit] First ruble, antiquity – 31 December 1921

1898 Russian Empire one rouble bill, obverse

The ruble has been the Russian unit of currency for about 500 years. From 1710, the ruble was divided into 100 kopeks.

The amount of precious metal in a ruble varied over time. In a 1704 currency reform, Peter I standardized the ruble to 28 grams of silver. While ruble coins were silver, there were higher denominations minted of gold and platinum. By the end of the 18th century, the ruble was set to 4 zolotnik 21 dolya (almost exactly equal to 18 grams) of pure silver or 27 dolya (almost exactly equal to 1.2 grams) of pure gold, with a ratio of 15:1 for the values of the two metals. In 1828, platinum coins were introduced with 1 ruble equal to 77⅔ dolya (3.451 grams).

On 17 December 1885, a new standard was adopted which did not change the silver ruble but reduced the gold content to 1.161 grams, pegging the gold ruble to the French franc at a rate of 1 ruble = 4 francs. This rate was revised in 1897 to 1 ruble = 2⅔ francs (0.774 grams gold).

With the outbreak of the First World War, the gold standard peg was dropped and the ruble fell in value, suffering from hyperinflation in the early 1920s.

[edit] Second ruble, 1 January 1922 – 31 December 1922

In 1922, the first of several redenominations took place, at a rate of 1 "new" ruble for 10,000 "old" rubles. The chervonets (червонец) was also introduced in 1922.

[edit] Third ruble, 1 January 1923 – 6 March 1924

A second redenomination took place in 1923, at a rate of 100 to 1. Again, only paper money was issued. During the lifetime of this currency, the first money of the Soviet Union was issued.

[edit] Fourth (gold) ruble, 7 March 1924–1947

A third redenomination in 1924 introduced the "gold" ruble at a value of 50,000 rubles of the previous issue. This reform also saw the ruble linked to the chervonets, at a value of 10 rubles. Coins began to be issued again in 1924, whilst paper money was issued in rubles for values below 10 rubles and in chervonets for higher denominations.

[edit] Fifth ruble, 1947–1961

Following World War II, the Soviet government implemented a confiscatory redenomination of the currency to reduce the amount of money in circulation. This only affected the paper money. Old rubles were revalued at one tenth of their face value.

[edit] Sixth ruble, 1961 – 31 December 1997

Further information: Soviet ruble

The 1961 redenomination was a repeat of the 1947 reform, with the same terms applying. The Soviet ruble of 1961 was formally equal to 0.987412 gram of gold, but the exchange for gold was never available to the general public. Following the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1991, the ruble remained the currency of the Russian Federation. A new set of banknotes was issued in the name of Bank of Russia in 1993. During the period of hyperinflation of the early 1990s, the ruble was significantly devalued.

[edit] Seventh ruble, 1 January 1998 –

The ruble was redenominated on 1 January 1998, with one new ruble equaling 1000 old rubles. The redenomination was a purely psychological step that did not solve the fundamental economic problems faced by the Russian economy at the time, and the currency was devalued in August 1998 following the 1998 Russian financial crisis. The ruble lost 70% of its value against the U.S. dollar in the six months following this 1998 Russian financial crisis.

By calculating the product of all six redenominations, it is seen that a seventh ruble is equal to 5×1015
 original rubles

In November 2004, the authorities of Dimitrovgrad (Ulyanovsk Oblast) erected a five-meter monument to the ruble.

On 23 November 2010, at a meeting of the Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and the Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao, it was announced that Russia and China have decided to use their own national currencies for bilateral trade, instead of the U.S. dollar. The move is aimed to further improve the relations between Beijing and Moscow and to protect their domestic economies in the conditions of the world financial crisis. The trading of the Chinese yuan against the Russian rouble has started in the Chinese interbank market, while the yuan's trading against the ruble is expected to start on the Russian foreign exchange market in December 2010.[9][10]

[edit] Coins

[edit] First ruble

At the beginning of the 19th century, copper coins were issued for ¼, ½, 1, 2 and 5 kopeks, with silver 5, 10, 25 and 50 kopeks and 1 ruble and gold 5 although production of the 10 ruble coin ceased in 1806. Silver 20 kopeks were introduced in 1820, followed by copper 10 kopeks minted between 1830 and 1839, and copper 3 kopeks introduced in 1840. Between 1828 and 1845, platinum 3, 6 and 12 rubles were issued. In 1860, silver 15 kopecs were introduced, due to the use of this denomination (equal to 1 złoty) in Poland, whilst, in 1869, gold 3 rubles were introduced. [6] In 1886, a new gold coinage was introduced consisting of 5 and 10 ruble coins. This was followed by another in 1897. In addition to smaller 5 and 10 ruble coins, 7½ and 15 ruble coins were issued for a single year, as these were equal in size to the previous 5 and 10 ruble coins. The gold coinage was suspended in 1911, with the other denominations produced until the First World War.

[edit] Constantine ruble

The Constantine ruble (Russian: Константиновский рубль, pronounced "Konstantinovsky rubl'") is a rare silver coin of the Russian Empire bearing the profile of Constantine, the brother of emperors Alexander I and Nicholas I. Its manufacture was being prepared at the Saint Petersburg Mint during the brief Interregnum of 1825 but it was never minted in numbers, and never circulated in public. The fact of its existence became known in 1857 in foreign publications.[11]

[edit] Fourth, fifth and sixth rubles

The first coinage after Russian civil war was minted in 1921 with silver coins in denominations of 10, 15, 20 and 50 kopeks and 1 ruble. Golden chervonets were minted in 1923. These coins bore the emblem and legends of the RSFSR. In 1924, copper coins were introduced for 1, 2, 3 and 5 kopeks, together with further silver 10, 15 and 20 kopeks, 1 poltinnik (50 kopeks) and 1 ruble. From this issue onwards, the coins were minted in the name of the Soviet Union. Copper ½ kopek coins were introduced in 1925. The 1 ruble was only issued in 1924 and production of the poltinnik was stopped in 1927, while the ½ kopek ceased to be minted in 1928. In 1926, aluminium-bronze replaced copper in the 1, 2, 3 and 5 kopeks and, in 1931, the remaining silver coins were replaced with cupro-nickel. This coinage was unaffected by the redenominations of 1947 and 1961. However, 1961 did see the introduction of new coins, with 1, 2, 3 and 5 kopeks in aluminium-bronze, and 10, 15, 20 and 50 kopeks and 1 ruble in cupro-nickel-zinc. In 1991, a new coinage was introduced in denominations of 10 and 50 kopeks, 1, 5 and 10 rubles. The 10 kopeks was struck in brass-plated steel, the 50 kopeks, 1 and 5 rubles were in cupro-nickel and the 10 rubles was bimetallic with an aluminium-bronze centre and a cupro-nickel-zinc ring. After the end of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation introduced coins in 1992 in denominations of 1, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 rubles. The 1 and 5 rubles were minted in brass-clad steel, the 10 and 20 rubles in cupro-nickel and the 50 and 100 rubles were bimetallic (aluminium-bronze and cupro-nickel-zinc). In 1993, aluminium-bronze 50 rubles and cupro-nickel-zinc 100 rubles were issued, and the material of 10 and 20 rubles was changed to nickel-plated steel. In 1995 the material of 50 rubles was changed to brass-plated steel, but the coins were minted with the old date 1993.

Regularly issued commemorative one ruble coin during this period is practically identical in size and weight to a 5 Swiss franc coin (worth approx. 3 / US$4). For this reason, there have been several instances of (now worthless) ruble coins being used on a large scale to defraud automated vending machines in Switzerland.[12]

[edit] Seventh ruble

In 1998, the following coins were introduced:

Currently Circulating Coins [7]
Value Technical parameters Description Date of first minting
Diameter Mass Composition Edge Obverse Reverse
1 kopek 15.5 mm 1.5 g [13] Cupronickel-steel Plain Saint George Value 1997
5 kopeks 18.5 mm 2.6 g [14]
10 kopeks 17.5 mm 1,95 g [15] Brass 1997–2006, Brass plated steel 2006– Milled for brass and plain for plated Saint George Value 1997
50 kopeks 19.5 mm 2.9 g [16]
1 ruble 20.5 mm 3.25 g Cupronickel 1997–2009, Nickel plated steel 2009– Milled 2-headed eagle emblem of the Bank of Russia Value 1997
2 rubles 23 mm 5.1~5.2 g Broken reeding
5 rubles 25 mm 6.45 g Cupronickel-copper 1997–2009, Nickel plated steel 2009– 1997
10 rubles 22 mm 5.63 g Brass plated steel Broken reeding 2-headed eagle emblem of the Bank of Russia Value 2009
1 ruble 1998
Value Emblem of the Bank of Russia

1 and 5 kopek coins are rarely used (especially the 1 kopek coin) due to their small value and in some cases may not be accepted by stores or individuals. In some cases, the 10 kopek coin is also occasionally refused[citation needed]. All these coins began being issued in 1998, despite the fact that some of them bear the year 1997. Since 2000, bimetallic 10 ruble circulating commemorative coins have been issued. In 2008, it was proposed by the Bank of Russia to withdraw 1 and 5 kopek coins from circulation and to round all the prices to 10 kopeks, although the proposal hasn't been realized as of 2010. The material of 1, 2 and 5 ruble coins was switched to nickel plated steel in the second quarter of 2009. In October 2009, a new 10 ruble coin made of brass plated steel was issued and the 10 ruble banknote will be withdrawn by 2012. Bimetallic 10 ruble coins will continue to be issued. A series of circulating Olympic commemorative 25 ruble coins will start in 2011. The new coins will be made of cupronickel.

The Bank of Russia also issues other commemorative coins ranges from 1–10,000 rubles. See [8] for listing.

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79

Another barometer of the economy: Las Vegas visitor census (hotels) prior to the 2008 meltdown was roughly 200,000 per week. It now runs at about 20,000 -  one-tenth of the pre-depression numbers. This is what I was told by an insider. I'm trying to corroborate this information.

It appears only Wallstreet is gambling these days. 

{Can't remember if they said per night, week, or month for the census}

BuzzTatom's picture
BuzzTatom

Xraymike would love to know if we can verify Las Vegas stats. Incredible if true.

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2

I'm watching Bernanke right now on CNBC.  "There is no question there are plausible solutions to fiscal issues."

I feel much better now.  I've also decided I need to start having wine not only with dinner but lunch also.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments