Eerily quiet here...don't forget...and community

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Eerily quiet here...don't forget...and community

We've all been doing our best to be ready, and now it looks like the financial and societal meltdown is starting. Dr. Chris has issued a Red Alert, something he did not do lightly, and we're all busy doing our last-minute things.

This site has been very quiet as we are no longer talking about last minute preps, but doing them.

I think we still need the community aspects of this site, perhaps now more than ever. To that end I am starting a thread for those who are taking a break between preps, to post each other an encouraging word, mention what we are individually doing, and make sure we don't forget something important.

I value you all and wish you well.

Wendy S. Delmater
so far

I will go first.

We just got our state and local tax returns. Yesterday I used them to pay off the used car we had to buy two weeks ago due to a car smash (just as well: our 250K-mile Ford Exporer is now replaced by a Subaru Forester with 85K miles). I called my broker about my self-directed IRA (deciding to keep a litte in the stock market  to hyperinflate as an inverse of what my husband is doing with the vast majority of our retirement funds) , and my husband pulled all the company stock out of his IRA and went to all-cash. If hyperinflation starts, he intends to take a loan out against his 401K and pay it bacj with cheaper dollars. I took out quite a bit of cash from the bank, and then went to the local Dollar Genral and restocked my pantry and finished buying our over the counter (OTC) medical preps - not with the cash, that's in a safe place for later, in case of a bank holiday. By the way Dollar General is a great place to buy canned meats, canned milk, and dried fruit .

I also planted more of our early Spring garden and called my sons, who are onboard with prepping, to give them a heads up.

Today the plan is to get the car fully operational (needs brake rotors resurfaced or replaced), refill a couple of cans of non-ethanol gasoline (with stablizer) buy a new chainsaw (ours died, and yes - we have muscle-powered alterantives for later), and reorgaize and inventory the pantry. And I am repacking our bug-out bag and reminding our east, west, and north bugout relaives of our reciprocal agreements. South is where the nuke plants are. No bugout locations there!

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
I feel numb today and not

I feel numb today and not sure what to do.  I'm in between two worlds.  One part of me thinks about our business, kids school etc.  Other part frantically shopped at walmart last night buying whatever caught my eye (cocoa, sugar thanks fullmoon) cases of ramen soup, sardines, etc.  Have been receiving UPS shipments daily for last four days straight!  I joined the Amazon prime for thirty days free every thing ships free!  Got 6 40lb buckets of hard red wheat yesterday, gummy bears, freeze dried soups, surgical tools, dental tools, how to identify wild food and mushroom books, first aid kit.  Filled all prescriptions and paid cash to get extra months. 

The only stocks I had left were Ford, sold them and took the cash. 

I'm feeling like a nut job, seriously.  I told my kids today as I sent them off to school.  "I hope 25 years from now, you can tell your kids a story about their crazy grandparents who thought the world was coming apart - but were completly wrong."

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
  Finally  some of my kids

Finally  some of my kids have gotten off their butts and at least made bug out bags .     All along they  thought  if this really got bad  they could move back home and Mom and dad would take care of everything  !   

I am heading to town to see the Mother-in -law  and stock up on more and more  Rice and Nori  because I am not eating anything grown from that area  !  Buying more blueberry bushes and spraying the fruit trees .

Did You all realize that you can  plant the beans that you have stored (   You know pinto beans , white northern , red beans )   much cheaper than buying seed .      

But of course, Today   I am planting Potatoes  ... this is a must !   Fixing  Corned beef and cabbage !   And wearing green .  We have to cling to some sort of normalcy and tradition !!    

FM

Saffron's picture
Saffron
thanks for the thread

Thanks for getting me off my b*tt Safewrite. I had planned to go to the mormon cannery to stock up on stuff for family members who are dealing with illnesses and can't think of other crises on top of it. But we got unexpected overnight visitors and I've been hedging this morning ... a little overwhelmed by the sadness of pictures of little kids being scanned for radiation. Movement and action is what I need right now ... heading out.

Thanks again.

~ s

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
As the world wobbles...

...I'm having a surreal birthday at work -- well-wishes from my clients, bottles of booze, home-baked cake as a present, fun-and-fitness-filled day at our Pilates studio.  It also one of those Heartbreakingly Gorgeous Sunny March Days (first real Spring weather).  My wife called at mid-day to ask how I was doing (I was in a bit of a End-Of-Daze place by bedtime last night) and I said, "Professional me is great!  Personal me...uh, ask me when I get home at 9 p.m. tonight!"

While there's always more preps to be done, we're pretty good on what I'd called Complete Level 1 Preps (heat/cooking resilience, long-term food, PMs, cash, home defense, various off-grid appliances [radio etc.], etc.).  I bought extra propane for the grill & filled up the pickup's gas tank 2 weeks ago, will probably add another canister of the former this weekend when we shop, and will get a bunch of canned goods (things to add to beans/rice/grains to make them tastier) and tuna/canned meat.

If we have a month or so before things get *real* hinky, I'll have made as much turkey/chicken/beef jerky as I can manage w/our dehydrator by then.  (My new hobby...)

And tomorrow I'll be in the back yard, putting our planned garden extension into effect with a turf-knife and a strong back.  <smile>

Thanks for the poke, SW, to remember it's about doing...

VIVA! -- Sager

Wendy S. Delmater
responses, and today

@ FullMoon - I wore green today, too. LaughingAnd that was important, for exactly the reason you mentioned: celebrating St Paddy's Day is normal for me. Shamrocks will always be free.

@ Saffron and Sager - you're welcome for the poke, although it was not meant as such. I guess I started this thread because I need the reassurance of being a member of this community, to keep myself from freezing into inactivity when I feel overwhelmed. Safron, I hear you: I was fixated with pictures of the trajedy in Japan all day Tuesday - my world came to a stop. And Sager, "End-of-Daze" LOL, yes, exactly.

Today, so far, I have taken the new-to-us-car to the mechanic and got it a safety check (needed two belts) and got the rotors fixed. That took five hours. I called Polar Meds about getting a year's worth of stuff I need: if my doc will write the Rx I can get them there instead of through his Rx coverage at the same price. Will talk to hubby about whether to buy a (backordered!) torpedo bucket for our electricly pumped well or make one. There is no more time to consider a solar-powered setup on the roof of a pump house. I'm off to go buy the chainsaw and fuel stabilizer. Hubby and I will refill our cans of ethanol-free gas later, after the rush hour. Repacking our bugout bags now.

My big worry is that my son was doing work in FL for his father and stepmother, and they wanted him to stay 2.5 more weeks. He stays 1.5 more weeks, and that's all he can give them. He knew exactly what a Red Alert from Dr. Chris meant, and he has several projects to finish before the SHTF (new steel door, finish fence, spring plantings).

txgirl69's picture
txgirl69
This Week's Preps - So not ready!

We've been buying up some more food, canning jars, propane and filling up fuel cans. I'm in Western Washington. It's still a bit chilly, but I have some cool weather veggies started and some more seedlings growing comfortably in the greenhouse.

I feel like I'm wigging out, while my bf seems cool and collected (he says he feels it too). I want so badly, to pull the money out of my IRA, but he feels like it is the wrong decision. All of his assetts are in mutual funds - I don't like this.

I have cash in the safe, along with PMs and some small junk silver coins.

The best to everyone, stay vigilant

Rita

Travlin's picture
Travlin
The calm before the storm? 

The calm before the storm?  Whether things go seriously down hill or not, it is sobering to have Chris issue this alert.  We know he did not do that without good cause.  It is prudent because things are so uncertain, but we may be lucky enough to slide by a while longer.  This is a good reminder that one day we won't.  We'll see.

Personally, I find myself calmly fatalistic.  I've lived with this long enough that I've gotten used to the idea.  This is just how it is, and we have to make the best of it.  The conversations within this community have been a great help.  It is reassuring to know others see the same issues and are dealing with them too.

Best of luck to each of youl.

Travlin 

Poet's picture
Poet
Disappointing Progress

My day?

I happened to call in sick to work, as I was not feeling good. Then had to take my wife's car to the dealership to get the brakes looked at and repaired: $130. Came home, had to do an errand for her - sold a diaper bag to a Craigslist buyer: $20 (but spent a gallon of gas getting to the meet-up location).

I was planning on staying out to get some prep things to complete a bug-out bag, but ended up having to go back home to help my wife take care of our twins. (She straight-up told me she feels resentful when I get to go out by myself somewhere while she gets stuck at home trying to placate two fussy infants.)

(Note: Wife watched Crash Course almost two years ago and agrees in principle, but is NOT on board. Doesn't want to talk about it, wants to focus on being happy for the sake of her sanity and the sake of the babies. I don't blame her - she's doing A LOT in handling the twins by herself at home while i work - but it's frustrating.)

So, no prep work done today. Gotta go back to work tomorrow.

Poet

kaman's picture
kaman
We've been prepping for

We've been prepping for years, but the work is never done. The more you get the more you realize you could use, but like Travlin put it, the mood is "calmly fatalistic " at this point, and I'm satisfied that if the stores closed today we'd do just fine. Locally, food (rice, sugar, flour, winter wheat, beans, noodles, canned fruit & veggies, etc...) is still cheap so we keep buying more. I'm buying more tarps today for covering firewood, additional first aid supplies, extra hiking boots, and more new socks.  The list goes on and on...

The window for preparation is rapidly closing.  Things may not suddenly shut down overnight, they may decline slowly over weeks, months, years, however, the final opportunity to buy at 'cheap' prices without shortages/limitations (in either money or supplies) is now.  Calmy go about your business of buying whatever you still need, while avoiding drawing the interest of those around you. Even those who have not lifted a finger to prepare themselves for hard times are keenly aware that 'something' is in the air and are looking to attach themselves to those who are responsible.  These are good times to be as invisible and quiet as a church mouse.

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Good advice

kaman wrote:

The window for preparation is rapidly closing.  Things may not suddenly shut down overnight, they may decline slowly over weeks, months, years, however, the final opportunity to buy at 'cheap' prices without shortages/limitations (in either money or supplies) is nowCalmy go about your business of buying whatever you still need, while avoiding drawing the interest of those around you. Even those who have not lifted a finger to prepare themselves for hard times are keenly aware that 'something' is in the air and are looking to attach themselves to those who are responsible.  These are good times to be as invisible and quiet as a church mouse.

Kaman

This is good advice for all of us to heed.  Several people asked me why I was buying all those gas cans.

Travlin 

dingalls's picture
dingalls
how to know

My preps most recently:

-family bug out bag-check (took about a day since I tend small children)

-printed out the "where there is no doctor/dentist books" (still want to get them bound at Kinkos)

-got water from a local spring-about a month's supply.  For drinking/cooking

-ordering stuff from places

-Gear up long term food storage efforts, we have a decent store of short term food.

-getting cash from the bank next week

-encouraged my husband to sell out fo some of our investments to 'wait and see'

-we have our stash of pms tucked out of harms way

-not letting gas tanks get lower than about half full (notice I di not say half empty...) 

Kaman's warning struck me very clearly just now.  I have been organizing a long term food storage shindig and am trying to get some Berkey water filters at a discounted price by ordering in quantity.  To this end, I contacted several yahoo groups that I am a part of (homeschooling, buying club and our locan Weston A Price chapter) to see if anyone wanted to order one.  Several folks have asked me why I am doing this and I have answered honestly.  Most of these people I only know casually.  A scant handful have responded to me that they want to hear more and get involved in our food storage thing.  I have felt a feeling of satisfaction from that, since I really like the idea of spreaking the word.  But how do you know when to keep quiet?  This is a very good point and in my enthusiasm I was not being careful.

Here is what I want to get done in the next month:

-get our house sold (ouch) that is on the market

-stock up on some good clothes (I am not a shopper and this often gets put off)

-gather some resourses, books, etc that I have been putting off

-gradually get some more cash

Thanks for the thread, it is great to see other approaches.

Travlin wrote:

kaman wrote:

The window for preparation is rapidly closing.  Things may not suddenly shut down overnight, they may decline slowly over weeks, months, years, however, the final opportunity to buy at 'cheap' prices without shortages/limitations (in either money or supplies) is nowCalmy go about your business of buying whatever you still need, while avoiding drawing the interest of those around you. Even those who have not lifted a finger to prepare themselves for hard times are keenly aware that 'something' is in the air and are looking to attach themselves to those who are responsible.  These are good times to be as invisible and quiet as a church mouse.

Kaman

This is good advice for all of us to heed.  Several people asked me why I was buying all those gas cans.

Travlin 

Wendy S. Delmater
falling behind is okay

@ Travlin: "calmly fatalistic," yeah.

@Karman: socks, yes, have to remember to stock up on socks and underwear. Srsly.

We got that used chainsaw on eBay and it's enroute from some laid-off construciton worker in Las Vegas. Listed some stuff on eBay, too, which should pay for it if they sell. More gardening (watering, lime on vaious friut trees and BT spray on their flowers.) Did an inventory on the pantry and have a few small holes to fill. Moved the spices and things like beef and chicken bullion or dry soup mix to the attic.

Tomorrow the plan is to go to Lowes and get the rest of the materials to make a torpedo bucket for our well, and plastic to protect the garden next winter, which can also be used on the windows if a local nuke plant blows. And duct tape. Imagine a wold without duct tape! *shudders*

Does anyone but me think that the movie Black Swan coming out just before we had a black swan event was sort of ironic? But, anyhow, I used to have a sign up when I was an ovewhelmed single parent going to college: "Today, whatever I can do, plus what God can do, is enough." Gotta remember that.

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Further consideration

Travlin wrote:

kaman wrote:

Kaman

Travlin 

Let me temper this line of thought.  It depends on your circumstances and your approach to dealing with the future.

If you live in a small town, and you are trying to build a community of aware people for mutual support, then selectively establishing bonds with others is a good strategy.  I say “selectively” because small towns are notorious for narrow thinking and it is easy to be dismissed as a kook, so your message is blocked before it is even heard by those you haven’t yet spoken to.  On the other hand, having grown up in a small town, I well remember that nearly everyone made it their business to know everybody else’s business, so people will know you are up to something, even if you are trying to be low key.  Being open could be a good approach.

Living in a city is entirely different, and that’s where most of us are.  I think keeping a very low profile, with very selective approaches to others, is a much better strategy for that setting.  Suburbs fall somewhere in between.  It is still difficult to be covert.  Your basement full of supplies may have a visit by a utility employee, city inspector, plumber, electrician, furnace technician, etc.  The UPS and FedEx drivers may also notice a pattern of deliveries, especially from precious metals dealers.  They may talk about that “crazy guy” with some people who would be interested in making an uninvited visit.  I think people are only going to be as civil as circumstances allow.

Whatever your situation, calmly and quietly making preps and acquiring supplies makes sense to me while it is still easy.  As Kaman said, people are nervous and spooking the herd will not help matters.

Travlin 

Sylq's picture
Sylq
whew...

so I am utilizing the blatant call for preperation across the pond, to actually get my family meeting some of the goals we have been discussing now for months.

today we:

Finished our 90 day food/water supply for our home this morning.

Got my truck repaired and tuned up and went and got the camping trailer from the storage lot, filled it with my 30 days of freeze dried food and 2 weeks worth of water

Saturday

Get the supplies to build my  aquaponics tanks

Fill the extra propane and gas tanks

Tune up bikes

check the bugout bags

convert another 200sq ft of grass to gardening plots.

Sunday

Meeting with a local farmer to discuss a part time job. I currently have a rather black thumb so I am hoping to get a full season under my belt w/him before I need to rely entirely on my own garden to feed our 12 person community.

begin the Duck roost Tongue outand pond on monday

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
re: phew

Sylq wrote:

so I am utilizing the blatant call for preperation across the pond, to actually get my family meeting some of the goals we have been discussing now for months.

today we:

Finished our 90 day food/water supply for our home this morning.

Got my truck repaired and tuned up and went and got the camping trailer from the storage lot, filled it with my 30 days of freeze dried food and 2 weeks worth of water

Saturday

Get the supplies to build my  aquaponics tanks

Fill the extra propane and gas tanks

Tune up bikes

check the bugout bags

convert another 200sq ft of grass to gardening plots.

Sunday

Meeting with a local farmer to discuss a part time job. I currently have a rather black thumb so I am hoping to get a full season under my belt w/him before I need to rely entirely on my own garden to feed our 12 person community.

begin the Duck roost Tongue outand pond on monday

All Most Excellent!!  

Bluenoser's picture
Bluenoser
Thank you for the thread,

Thank you for the thread, Safewrite.  Even before Dr. Martenson's alert I was feeling a mild sense of foreboding, but reading the alert certainly concentrated my mind.   Yesterday, I restocked some of the things we've used up and not replaced over the winter, and hubby visited the meat man (local gentleman who raises grass-fed beef) to restock the freezer.   I bought that really nice enamel coated, cast iron dutch oven I've been wanting, and I refilled my husband's prescriptions. 

Today I ordered seeds on-line from Veseys, and picked up everything I need for my seed-starting regimen.  There is still snow on the ground in my garden, but I was worried there may be increased demand this year and I wanted to make sure that I will have what I need to put my garden in.  Most of our fruits and veggies (apart from local, in-season) come to us from California and the Okanagan, and Health Canada's installation of radiation meters in BC has me a little bit worried that, even if radiation levels are negligible and the food remains perfectly safe, people may still prefer to grow their own rather than eat food from the west coast - driving up demand for seeds and gardening materials. 

Tomorrow, I will make the most important preparation for setting my mind at ease, and pick up my 14 year old daughter from the train station.  She's participating in a youth leadership program in Ottawa over March Break, and while I know she's had a fabulous time and learned a lot, I will feel so much better to have her home.

Bluenoser

Wendy S. Delmater
@ Sylq - gosh, I wish we had

@ Sylq - gosh, I wish we had room for a duck pond! But that reminds me: we indended to buy a lot of feeder goldfish and release them into the pond behind our house. Goldfish, when they get large, are quite edible - and they can even live in a pond with not-so-good water flow in and out, as they cae breathe the air at the surface fo the pond. Time to buy and dump them this week.

@ Bluenoser - You're welcome. Yes, getting your seeds now is a great idea. If I might make a suggestion, our local ACE hardware store & Dollar General had sales on the easiest to make seeds (raishes, marigolds, zinnias, onions)  - over 50 varieties at 3/$1 or 4/$1. Look for a similar deal near you. The seeds online or in catalogs are expensive in comparison, and it's a good idea to get more than one variety of things anyhow in case one variety does not work in your climate. Don't neglect medicinal and culinary herbs. Lots more garden seeds went in here: in the Carolina midlands it was 85 degrees yesterday and we had to water twice to keep the seeds moist. Thank goodness it's only going to be 70 F today.

Yesterday we bought fuel stablizer and the materials to make a torpedo (or bullet) bucket - a long tube with a valve that can bring up water through a skinny well shaft. The galvanized Amish ones online are sold out. The online plans for the PVC torpedo bucket  were really bad, and were for a six-inch shaft, so my husband re-engineered one for our four-inch shaft.  Materials to make two: $50. We willprobably sell the second one online  and opst the plans on the water thread here on CM.

The only other thing we did was I finished my pantry inventory and did a fill-in run to a grocery store that had specials on most of it. I have a home business and needed to attend ot that. It will also take up a lot of today, but  I still need to plant more garden.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
   I  just felt the

I  just felt the urge  to call my brothers and check on them  ... tell them I love em .    You know ... one of the most important things to  keep up on.    

Today  I  am ordering reusable canning lids .      .  I know it seems like  little thing  but a lot of little things add up .

Safewrite if it is so warm there  do you go mushroom hunting ?

FM

Wendy S. Delmater
Spring weather and insects (and mushrooms)

Needed bug spray to work in the garden yesterday. Got a few more cat flea and tick collars this week (working cat; mouser). We've stocked fly swatters and boric acid (in case of roaches) and ant traps and such. Need to stock Deet-type sprays to keep off ticks and avoid tick-borne disease on wild food foraging trips.

@ FM,  Mushrooms?  You forget that I had hip surgery (for a congenital defect) almost a year ago. I'm much more mobile now - but no foraging trips have been scheduled, let alone accomplished. If I did, I'd be nervous about picking any wild mushrooms. Too many of them are poisonous, and the only thing I might eat is a type of local puffballs - those are edible, and very easy for me to identify. You need to know your mushrooms, though. Even what look like puffballs can be poisonous. Mushroom gathering is not for the new forager. It's too risky!

Funny you should mention fungi. Yesterday we decided to grow commercial-type mushrooms in the crawl space under the house. We're on a slight hill so it's higher on one end of the crawl space, and we'd put it there.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
 LOL  Safewrite ,  Moral

LOL  Safewrite ,  Moral   Mushroom  hunting is a real sport here . No one will share their finding spots .   In a few weeks  every family will be  having their first mushroom /mountain oyster fry .   

We too  thought about  a  dank, dark  old basement under the shop would be a possible place to grow  mushrooms .  Keep us up on your progress . We have so many plates up in the air at our circus  that I am afraid they may all come tumbling  down .

FM

Off to plant .

Sylq's picture
Sylq
Mushrooms

mmmm...I want to grow mushrooms my family goes through them by the pound. now where will I fit those???

I am so glad I found this site it is so much more helpful than just the doom and gloom you usually get elsewhere.

Stay healthy everyone.

Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri
Costco Food?

Romans12.2 wrote:

Have been receiving UPS shipments daily for last four days straight!  I joined the Amazon prime for thirty days free every thing ships free!  Got 6 40lb buckets of hard red wheat yesterday, gummy bears, freeze dried soups, surgical tools, dental tools, how to identify wild food and mushroom books, first aid kit.  Filled all prescriptions and paid cash to get extra months.

Romans, can you share the details of the wheat and soup which you bought off Amazon? 

Also, does anyone have any experience with these products from Costco? 

This one seems to have a lot of sodium and not a lot calories.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11622359&search=emergen...

This one seems like it might be OK. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11480699&search=emergen...

Thanks

txgirl69's picture
txgirl69
CostCo

I haven't personally bought anything from Costco for preps, but this last Monday I met a lady at a local shop called the Survival Center - she said she's bought some from Costco online, but we didn't get into the nutritional info.... Now that I've written this, I see it isn't much help!

Rita

Poet's picture
Poet
Costco.com Suppliers

Mr. Fri and Txgirl69

I started up a thread about 1 Month Food Storage Supplies, where we discussed a variety of options, and several of the posts focused on the Chef Banquet Ark 1 Month Food Supply.
https://www.PeakProsperity.com/forum/1-month-food-storage-supply/51303

I'd love to hear what people have to say about supplies purchased from vendors through Costco.com

Poet

Wendy S. Delmater
today's progress

Trreading water here... All I did was water the garden a couple of times (85 F high today and I do not want the seedlings to dry out). We got the maintenence records on our used car and were relieved to find that the timing chain had been done so that is one less expense.

My main focus the last couple of days has been on making some money by doing outsoured work for my old boss, 600 miles away. I want to get us a couple of screen doors so we do not have to depend on the air conditioning, and this will pay for it.

The big push will happen this weekend when my son gets back from working out-of-state. The new pre-hung steel door will be installed, and he's putting the eco-foil in the atic. And finishing the secuity fence. For now, I am off to the grocery store to get some extra canned good that go off-special tomorrow.

Wendy S. Delmater
what's your prep progress?

Let's all remember there is a red alert on. I have a tendency to forget, especially since rejoined the workforce three weeks ago, doing remote work for my former employer in NYC.

iI does me no good to finally be making money again if I blow the cash on fripperies instead of prepping. A couple old silver dollars per paycheck have been purchased.

Since my last post we've gotten about 80 percent of the eco foil up in the attic. The new steel front door is in, with new locks and a new lock for the back door. I've been replacing anything used out of the pantry obsessively, and stockpiled things like more coffee, shampoo, chicken and beef bullion and cinnamon. We've added lots of firewood for next year, purchased a new chain saw (used, but with parts and a new chain and file to charpen it) and the garden is fully planted up to this point (progressive plantings based on PM soil temps - some things cannot go in too early.)

We tested our well water - still waiitng for results on the bacteria but so far the main problem is acidity - which is wh ythe wood ash on teh garden has been increasing our yields so spectacularly. Wikipedia says to deal with acidity run it through some calcium carbonate - we may use marble chips.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Prep progress

(I'm assuming all is well with Mrs. & Mr. Safewrite despite the mayhem in NC yesterday/night...)

Yes, with the Fukushima story generally disappearing it's easy to forget we're walking the knife's edge these days.  Although this map:  http://www.dwd.de/wundk/spezial/Sonderbericht_loop.gif is predicting the winds will be out of the East at Fukushima and the contamination will be blowing straight inland in the next few days.  Yikes!

Our preps these days are a little the same and a little different.  

We're making one last giant push to try and sell our house (and get out from under our mortgage and related debt) -- we're going the FSBO route so we can set the price lower and still clear enough to settle the debt and walk away with some equity.  More work, but that's never scared me.  Laughing  Selling our house would help us take a massive step forward towards getting a living-and-working-together community going.  If we sell our house we'll go live w/a friend for very small rent -- she has a 4-bedroom house she's in alone (divorced) and would be thrilled to have us.  She's also a fantastic cook, an RN, and reaching that Red Pill Moment (e.g. -- her boyfriend has just built her a big and fancy-looking chicken coop and her chicks are in-hand and approaching their big-enough-to-live-outside stage).  This living situation would also put us a 15-minute bike ride from 1 of 2 places we'd be happy to buy/lease some land from friends who have a large parcel (and are totally on board with the 3Es/CC).  We'd then start figuring out what we could build with what equity we have -- most likely a South-facing dug-into-a-hill underground-type home with nothing but windows on the S side (super-low energy needs for heat, and paid for in cash).  

The other prep stuff has included learning to use (and using!) our dehydrator.  On today's slate:  chicken cubes.  

We're also ramping up our canned good purchases (things we can add to plain staples [rice, beans, etc.] to make them more inviting).  Opened up a bucket of cans that were nearing the 'expiration' dates on Friday -- ate some chicken chili last night.  Wife & I felt good about the fact that we were eating food that was 20% cheaper when we bought it (~ 2 years ago) than it would be if we bought it today.  (Then, naturally, realized I'd be replacing it when I go to town for the weekly shop today.  At whatever today's price is [but I think this stuff was on sale last week, we'll see].)

And finally on the defense front are two items:  purchase of a CC handgun and signing up for membership in a local shooting range for practice purposes.  My wife has even agreed she ought to know how to handle our firearms.  (!!!)  That's a massive shift for her -- so in closing I'll just say (to those of you out there with a reluctant/skeptical partner or spouse) it's not necessarily all about hammering away at your sweetheart's skepticism that's important -- it's being ready to act when they shift into a friendlier state of mind.

Viva -- Sager

txgirl69's picture
txgirl69
recent preps

I pulled my IRA last month. I couldn't stand it anymore. We bought some PMs, a variety of fruit and nut trees (to replace older ones), bought a nice pressure canner and about $1500 of FD/Dehydrated foods. I've also been raiding the commisary for canned goods - they have a case lot sale coming up in a couple of weeks.

We've been doing some research on hand pumps for our well. Just need to find out if it is shallow or deep. I'm ready to buy one yesterday.

I've also been doing some research on push reel mowers, but I got overwhelmed with information and quit, for now. - The same thing happened when I researched a laundry wringer... I need to regroup and look at them again.

I also bought more under clothes and personal hygiene items.

We are looking at buying one more weapon. Something like an AR. I also need to purchase a few more boxes of ammo for my .38 and more slugs for the shotgun. I hope I never need to use them.

It's good to see what everyone is doing. We are not alone!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments