The Definitive Firearms Thread

2992 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Re: Sam's gun saga

nickbert wrote:
c1oudfire wrote:
Try this one, Sam:  "I need the gun because you ARE more important to me than anything".  Trust me, Sam, I'm a woman; I know how we think. 
Wait, isn't giving this level of insight of the feminine mind to male schleps like us the rough equivalent of giving high-level classified information to the Iranians?  Are the WIB's (Women In Black) going to haul you away for revealing state secrets? Laughing

[Snicker]  . . . I guess I just don't draw sexist battle lines.  Besides, I just think that Sam has a good case.  Anyway, it could be argued that I'm really on his wife's side, since I'm conspiring with Sam to make sure she's well protected.

Wink

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: The Definitive Firearms Thread

(wondering how Pete in Florida's surgery went)...

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

SagerXX wrote:
(wondering how Pete in Florida's surgery went)...

I was just wondering the same thing. 

Ken C's picture
Ken C

SamLinder wrote:

Just to update folks on my attempts to buy a gun without having to divorce my wife:

After much discussion, I wore down my wife enough to agree she wouldn't divorce me if I bought a gun. So, yesterday I went to a gun store and purchased a Glock 17 and a box of metal jacketed ammunition (no hollow-point available).

I then transported it directly to my son-in-laws house where it was stashed in his gun safe. That was the point of agreement that allowed the gun purchase. The gun cannot live in my house right now.

My wife also wants to know every time I take the gun out of the safe. I told her that I will need to do that when I locate and take a gun class as well as when I go to a range to practice. In the interests of peace and harmony, I will comply with her request.

As for concealed carry - forget about it! That's still imminent divorce time. (Besides, the Glock 17 is too big for concealed carry.)

So, for now, we have a truce.

As the old saying goes, "One step at a time!"

Hi Sam,

Glad to hear you finally made the plunge. 

As for concealed carry- I wish I could get carry permit here in LA area. It is essentially impossible. I have carry permits for Utah and Florida so with reciprocity I can legally carry concealed in about 39 states but not in the state where I live. I don't know why the LAPD and other law enforcement in Calif. have their heads in such a dark place that they can't see that I am not a threat to anyone but the bad guys. It makes no sense.

Two concealed carry bills were recently introduced at the state legislature but they have no chance of passage with the current  make up of the legislature. 

We keep trying- maybe in my lifetime it will happen

Ken

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

What states have reciprocity with other states; I've never heard that. The only people I knew who could legally carry weapons across states lines (and airlines) with impunity were federal (and air) marshals.

SG

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

capesurvivor wrote:

You'd really cry if you heard me play.

SG

SG -

Come to Lowesville, bring your gitbox and you can join in with Chris and me as we play. 

Apparently Chris plays guitar so I am taking my Art and Lutherie spruce top and my mandolin.  I figure since we will be up in the Shenandoah's we'll throw down some bluegrassy Grateful Dead licks and drink moonshine from mason jars.

And learn about Peak Hangover...................

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Dogs,

Sounds great. If there were any possibility of doing it, I would.  The stars are way out of alignment, though.

SG

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:
capesurvivor wrote:

You'd really cry if you heard me play.

SG

SG -

Come to Lowesville, bring your gitbox and you can join in with Chris and me as we play. 

Apparently Chris plays guitar so I am taking my Art and Lutherie spruce top and my mandolin.  I figure since we will be up in the Shenandoah's we'll throw down some bluegrassy Grateful Dead licks and drink moonshine from mason jars.

And learn about Peak Hangover...................

Only Dogs could turn a firearm thread into a guitar thread and not miss a beat. (yes - pun intended!)  Wink

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

SamLinder wrote:

Just to update folks on my attempts to buy a gun without having to divorce my wife:

After much discussion, I wore down my wife enough to agree she wouldn't divorce me if I bought a gun. So, yesterday I went to a gun store and purchased a Glock 17 and a box of metal jacketed ammunition (no hollow-point available).

I then transported it directly to my son-in-laws house where it was stashed in his gun safe. That was the point of agreement that allowed the gun purchase. The gun cannot live in my house right now.

My wife also wants to know every time I take the gun out of the safe. I told her that I will need to do that when I locate and take a gun class as well as when I go to a range to practice. In the interests of peace and harmony, I will comply with her request.

As for concealed carry - forget about it! That's still imminent divorce time. (Besides, the Glock 17 is too big for concealed carry.)

Nice Sam -

Truces are good.  Now take baby steps as you walk in with a case of ammo in each hand.

Yeah, right! Know any good divorce lawyers?  Because that's what I'd need if I tried a stunt like that!

Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:
Keep us posted when you take it out and shoot with it.

Will do - looking for NRA classes and a range right now. Aaron has promised to take me out for some one-on-one training when his schedule permits.

maine.designer's picture
maine.designer

Aaron,

I searched high and low on the web for the the type of information you provided to open this topic. Most helpful; thank you for your insight.

Tim 

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

Believe it or not, I tried the "I want to protect you" gambit. This "old horse" has been around the block a few times and knows all the lines that should work. However, my wife knows just as many ways to counter my "cleverness". In this case, she claims we live in a nice neighborhood and besides, no one is going to break in and attack her. (Sigh........)

She said that I could get a Taser like this one (http://www.taser.com/PRODUCTS/CONSUMERS/Pages/C2.aspx) and take out any attacker that might get through the door. I pointed out how unreliable tasers can be if you don't get a perfect hit and/or the prongs don't stick. She says tasers won't kill someone - a gun will. So, she doesn't want a gun in the house - period!

I'd ask you to talk to her directly, but she already thinks we're all a bit "over the edge" about the coming hard times so would absolutely refuse. She feels she's being tolerant enough with all my other preparations and the gun is just too much!

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Re: Tonight's the Night

SagerXX wrote:

Congrats Sam on the Glock and the slight thaw in your wife's attitude. 

Tonight, I'm presenting the shotgun I bought last month to the wife as a fait accompli.  I think she's ready.  It'll still freak her out a tad, but it's been sitting on the top shelf of the guest room closet for weeks and it's time to go live.  Not to mention I'm in a firearms safety course in a fortnight and at that point the gun'll be out in the open.  And I can't keep the ammo I've been buying outtasight forever (been purchasing about $60/week for awhile now)...  Might as well go for it.

Wish me luck...[wry grin].

Viva -- Sager 

Good luck, Sager! You're a braver man than I. If I brought home a shotgun, and tried hiding it then presenting it a month later as a fait accompli, I might just as well bring home a divorce lawyer too 'cause I would need him right away!  Surprised

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

kenc wrote:
SamLinder wrote:

Hi Sam,

Glad to hear you finally made the plunge. 

As for concealed carry- I wish I could get carry permit here in LA area. It is essentially impossible. I have carry permits for Utah and Florida so with reciprocity I can legally carry concealed in about 39 states but not in the state where I live. I don't know why the LAPD and other law enforcement in Calif. have their heads in such a dark place that they can't see that I am not a threat to anyone but the bad guys. It makes no sense.

Two concealed carry bills were recently introduced at the state legislature but they have no chance of passage with the current  make up of the legislature. 

We keep trying- maybe in my lifetime it will happen

Ken

Bizarre isn't it? You want to carry concealed, but can't get permission from the state. I want to carry concealed but can't get permission from my immediate supervisor! What a strange world we live in!

RNcarl's picture
RNcarl

Sam,

Glad you got the Glock!

I went to a gun show last weekend, and was told in no uncertain terms, "NO MORE GUNS!"

Now I don't see that as fair. I haven't gotten my pistol yet. I only own two shotguns, one black powder rifle (as a diversion) and a couple 22cal rifles... 

I was going with my father-in-law who owns more guns than Charlton Heston did.

I like Rugers. I have shot my father's Rugers and they perform well, have plentiful parts and are inexpensive.

I am looking at the S&W M&P 9mm or .40cal... Or the Ruger SR9 - See here in Massachusetts the atty general has to "approve" all guns that enter the state for commercial sale. Most handguns are prohibited unless they can be "modified" by the manufacturer according to the AG's "guidelines". NO more than 10+1 capacity, trigger pull that borders on being considered a "flinch" and some other nonsense. Seeing how S&W is made in the state and just down the street from me is why I am leaning to them. Strom Ruger puts out a fine product too.

Glocks fall into the "pre-ban" type era I think and have become quite pricey to aquire used.

I agree with what C1loud says. You are doing it to protect HER and your family. My wife understands that. She just is still seeing the glass 3/4 full right now. But, she knows that she can count on me to "do what's right" and protect the family.

C.

P.S. My wife does not know about the "blueberry" money I have stashed for my pistol purchase.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

RNcarl wrote:

Sam,

Glad you got the Glock!

I went to a gun show last weekend, and was told in no uncertain terms, "NO MORE GUNS!"

Now I don't see that as fair. I haven't gotten my pistol yet. I only own two shotguns, one black powder rifle (as a diversion) and a couple 22cal rifles... 

I was going with my father-in-law who owns more guns than Charlton Heston did.

I like Rugers. I have shot my father's Rugers and they perform well, have plentiful parts and are inexpensive.

I am looking at the S&W M&P 9mm or .40cal... Or the Ruger SR9 - See here in Massachusetts the atty general has to "approve" all guns that enter the state for commercial sale. Most handguns are prohibited unless they can be "modified" by the manufacturer according to the AG's "guidelines". NO more than 10+1 capacity, trigger pull that borders on being considered a "flinch" and some other nonsense. Seeing how S&W is made in the state and just down the street from me is why I am leaning to them. Strom Ruger puts out a fine product too.

Glocks fall into the "pre-ban" type era I think and have become quite pricey to aquire used.

I agree with what C1loud says. You are doing it to protect HER and your family. My wife understands that. She just is still seeing the glass 3/4 full right now. But, she knows that she can count on me to "do what's right" and protect the family.

C.

P.S. My wife does not know about the "blueberry" money I have stashed for my pistol purchase.

I didn't realize that Massachusetts was so anal about guns. Are you able to get ccw permits without too much trouble?

Glocks are becoming harder to find here but are still available if you look hard enough. I went to 3 other dealers looking for the Glock 17 before I found it at the 4th one. Of the first three, two didn't have it at all. The third one had it but his price was out of line. He wanted about $150 dollars more than the other pricing that I found.

The new Glock 17 cost me $525.00 and came with two 17-round clips, a cleaning kit, and a gun lock. Before I found the Glock locally, I looked on the Internet (gunsamerica.com, gunbroker.com, and auctionarms.com) but the only ones I could find were used, older models and I wanted a new model (at least 3rd generation).

Let us know what you wind up with. Also, your wife sounds more realistic than mine!

Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri

I'm still working my way through this thread.  I'm only on page 5 so if this question has been asked already please point me back.

What do you think of the Taurus line?  It was suggested that I check out the Taurus 92.  I'm told that Taurus bought the dies from Beretta for this model.  I'm not sure if that means it's a cheap copy or they are now making the Beretta under their name. Any other Taurus models you might suggest I look at?

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

Hey Sam thanks for the update... please you got something you feel comfortable with.

Now in the interest of new gun owner Hazing Laughing

Quote:
The new Glock 17 cost me $525.00 and came with two 17-round clips

Glocks use Magazines (or Mags) not Clips, Clips are used to describe strips (metal/plastic) that are used to quick load an internal magazine such as on the M1 Garand. You now need to know this stuff you know.

Sheesh I don't know 50 odd gun experts here and I seem to be the first one to have to correct the Clip/Mag confusion Wink

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Gungnir wrote:

Sheesh I don't know 50 odd gun experts here and I seem to be the first one to have to correct the Clip/Mag confusion Wink

That's cuz we knew what he meant and didn't want to call out the proud new papa...........Laughing

Now, can we get back to guitars...........Cool

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: Tonight's the Night

SamLinder wrote:
SagerXX wrote:

Congrats Sam on the Glock and the slight thaw in your wife's attitude. 

Tonight, I'm presenting the shotgun I bought last month to the wife as a fait accompli.  I think she's ready.  It'll still freak her out a tad, but it's been sitting on the top shelf of the guest room closet for weeks and it's time to go live.  Not to mention I'm in a firearms safety course in a fortnight and at that point the gun'll be out in the open.  And I can't keep the ammo I've been buying outtasight forever (been purchasing about $60/week for awhile now)...  Might as well go for it.

Wish me luck...[wry grin].

Viva -- Sager 

Good luck, Sager! You're a braver man than I. If I brought home a shotgun, and tried hiding it then presenting it a month later as a fait accompli, I might just as well bring home a divorce lawyer too 'cause I would need him right away!  Surprised

Hiding a lawyer in the spare bedroom for a coupla weeks *would* get dicey, no doubt. [smile] 

Well, it all went as pretty much as I figgered last night.  She was a little looped by it, but it's a testament to how far she's come (in terms of her view of the world's goings-on) in the last couple months that her position really was (after the initial "OMG" moment) "I don't like it but okay."  Phew.

That's the good news.  The excellent news is that I cannot think of any other prep areas where she and I would really disagree overlymuch.  But give it time...we'll probably hit another speed bump.  [wry grin]

Now:  got to study up for the firearms safety course I'm taking 2 weeks from Sunday.  (Have to read this whole series of "lessons" online but there's about 80 web-pages of material with no "printer-friendly" versions to be seen...haven't these people heard of pdf's?)

VIVA -- Sager 

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Gungnir,

I beat ya to it - but agree with Dogs.

There is a portion (I think on the title post) that differentiates between mags and clips. =)

Just couldn't let that one go, it's a pet peeve of mine.

Cheers!

Aaron

Ken C's picture
Ken C

capesurvivor wrote:

What states have reciprocity with other states; I've never heard that. The only people I knew who could legally carry weapons across states lines (and airlines) with impunity were federal (and air) marshals.

SG

Cape,

Here is a link that explains some of the reciprocity laws

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

It is possible to get an out of state permit in some states (like Utah) so that you can take advantage of the reciprocity of other states. Just note that these laws do change and it is best to double check with the state you will go to regarding current carry law and reciprocity.

Ken

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

SamLinder wrote:
she claims we live in a nice neighborhood and besides, no one is going to break in and attack her. (Sigh........) She feels she's being tolerant enough with all my other preparations and the gun is just too much!

Well, that could all change when the images on the nightly news change.  At least you've got the goods for when that time comes. . .

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
An Interesting Story about State Lines and Guns

Thought I'd share an interesting story from a few years back . .

I went to a critical care nursing conference in New Orleans, pre-Katrina.  I decided to drive down, so I could take my gear and do some camping on the beach on the Gulf.  My husband wanted me to take his handgun with, as New Orleans was then sporting the title as the "homicide capital of the world".  (That was before I made him sell it).  I refused, saying that I'd rather use my wits and pepper gas than a firearm to get myself out of a bad situation.  (Pretty unrealistic, really).  Anyway, I got a blown out tire, one hour out of New Orleans.  Two wonderful southern gentlemen pulled over to help me, and both were deeply concerned that I was travelling alone in the area.  One was a Southern Bell repair guy who'd been working over 36 hours straight to get power back up after a tropical storm.  Now that's a gentleman. . . the other was a state trooper. 

The subject of my safety was a matter of concern for both.  I indicated that my husband had wanted me to carry his Barretta, but that I had refused, partly because I wouldn't handle it well without experience, and partly because it would have been illegal to carry it.  I asked the trooper, off the record, what he would have done if he had caught me with a handgun in the car.  What he said was this:  In light of the terrific crime in New Orleans, and in light of the fact that I was a, er, let us say, European, woman, travelling alone, he, and most of the guys he knows would have overlooked the handgun, if, on being pulled over, I had hung my hands out the window, and immediately told the officer that there was a loaded handgun on the seat next to me, and if my record had come up clean. 

Anyway, the officer was apparently sincere in his concern for me, as he had me follow him to a local tire dealer, off the interstate, and asked the fellows there to take good care of me, which they did. 

Now, I realize that things have changed a great deal since 9/11, but I thought this was an interesting perspective, nonetheless.  We can only hope that our troopers will maintain something close to this level of rational and independent thinking after TSHTF.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

Gungnir wrote:

Hey Sam thanks for the update... please you got something you feel comfortable with.

Now in the interest of new gun owner Hazing Laughing

Quote:
The new Glock 17 cost me $525.00 and came with two 17-round clips

Glocks use Magazines (or Mags) not Clips, Clips are used to describe strips (metal/plastic) that are used to quick load an internal magazine such as on the M1 Garand. You now need to know this stuff you know.

Gungnir,

I've used "clips" and "magazines" interchangeably since I can remember. Apparently not everyone is on board with that as you and others in this thread have so noted. Wink

It is an argument that has been waged for a long time and continues to be a source of contention.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magazine_(firearm)

A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a repeating firearm. Magazines may be integral to the firearm (fixed) or removable (detachable). The magazine functions by moving the cartridges stored in the magazine into a position where they may be loaded into the chamber by the action of the firearm. The detachable magazine is often referred to as a clip; the correctness of this usage has been the subject of debate for most of a century.[1][2] (bold/underline added by me)

The folks at this web site are really strongly on your side:

http://www.thegunzone.com/clips-mags.html

Clips are not Magazines!

Don't expose yourself to ridicule as a gun goof by misusing terms

I guess I must be a gun goof!  Laughing

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

SamLinder wrote:
Clips are not Magazines!

Don't expose yourself to ridicule as a gun goof by misusing terms

I guess I must be a gun goof!  Laughing

. . . And here I've been thinking that a magazine was for reading on the plane . . .

TimesAwasting's picture
TimesAwasting

Hey Sam!

Getting into the conversation way late, but I had a very similar experience with my supervisor too. Last fall when the market started crashing I got pretty spooked... the first thing I did in terms of preparing and protecting was to acquire an AR and a glock (never owned guns before). The wife freaked and was very upset... but that was in the pre CC viewing days. After she watched the Crash Course with me she started to soften a bit. (My units also live off campus at my office about a mile away).

The funny thing though, is that as things have gotten worse in the economy, she has gotten much, much warmer. The more we talk about all the failed bail out attempts and the increased crime reporting, the more she is coming over to the good side... she's even agreed to come shooting with me as she now thinks it's a good idea to at least learn how to defend herself. While the guns still live elsewhere, if things get dicey, she's agreed to bring 'em home.

I think there is a better than 50% chance you'll follow a similar track.

Good luck!

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

RnCarl,

Where do you live in MA; I'm on the Cape.What gun show did you attend?

Kenc,  thanks for that great site; I had no idea there was any recipocity. I'll have to check it out. 

SG

P.S. I'd go easy on the clips/magazine hassle; while technically true, it's mainly been used over the years  to hassle newbies, IMHO. 

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

capesurvivor wrote:

RnCarl,

Where do you live in MA; I'm on the Cape.What gun show did you attend?

Kenc,  thanks for that great site; I had no idea there was any recipocity. I'll have to check it out. 

SG

P.S. I'd go easy on the clips/magazine hassle; while technically true, it's mainly been used over the years  to hassle newbies, IMHO. 

Hey! As a newbie, I resemble that remark!  Wink

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

Pat Carney wrote:

Hey Sam!

Getting into the conversation way late, but I had a very similar experience with my supervisor too. Last fall when the market started crashing I got pretty spooked... the first thing I did in terms of preparing and protecting was to acquire an AR and a glock (never owned guns before). The wife freaked and was very upset... but that was in the pre CC viewing days. After she watched the Crash Course with me she started to soften a bit. (My units also live off campus at my office about a mile away).

The funny thing though, is that as things have gotten worse in the economy, she has gotten much, much warmer. The more we talk about all the failed bail out attempts and the increased crime reporting, the more she is coming over to the good side... she's even agreed to come shooting with me as she now thinks it's a good idea to at least learn how to defend herself. While the guns still live elsewhere, if things get dicey, she's agreed to bring 'em home.

I think there is a better than 50% chance you'll follow a similar track.

Good luck!

Hi Pat,

Good planning on your part - especially with watching the CC. I want her to sit down and watch it with me but have not been able to get her to break loose from her busy schedule. It's always a case of, "Well, not today. Perhaps another time." Sigh...

I think things will have to get quite a bit worse before she "mellows out" any.

Jarhett's picture
Jarhett
Laser sights

Aaron ET All,

Your thoughts on laser sights/ flash light attachments for hand guns?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments