Cold Fusion

272 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Honesty, Rigour and Charlatanism.

I have seen the setup and listening to the professors  and Drs gathered around it I can vouch for the intellectual honesty and rigour.

Here is the latest email from Ryan who is conducting the demonstration.

The highest indicated level was 15 percent, but there are reasons to not believe that number. The way we chose the measure the heat from the internal temperatures seems to have been affected by the hydrogen pressure dropping. The external temperature sensors showed very small temperature rise. We are in the middle of some experiment steps to try and exclude possible effects from gas composition and density right now.

Does that sound like charlatanism?

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Ruby to give a talk.

Ruby Carot of Coldfusion now will be giving  a talk at UCLA on the 21st Feb at 7pm.

Cold Fusion Now will be representing at the next LASER event this Thursday Feb 21 atCalifornia NanoSystems Institute (CNSI) at UCLA in West Los Angeles, California. Talks begin at 7PM.

Here is a PDF giving directions.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Err0r

I made a mistake.

Transitioner's picture
Transitioner
made a mistake about what?

made a mistake about what?

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
My Mistake.

I inadvertantly published a Jokey HaHa site about a replication of Rossies eCat. The fools don't know the magnitude of the consequences of not finding a replacement fuel to for our agricultural equipment.

I gloss over Triffling matters such as the Climate Catastrophe due to the use of carbon as a fuel. 

The Lectures by Professor Hagelstein on the state of the Pons and Fleishmann effect can be found here. The awful sound has been enhanced and is now tolerable. He leads one into some pretty meaty physics.

I hope you find the time to follow him as far as you can.

Transitioner's picture
Transitioner
A replacement fuel for our

A replacement fuel for our agricultural equipment? now why on earth would you want to do that. Modern agricultural techniques and equipment are so far in the dark ages it's laughable. They tear up soil releasing CO2, destroy natural fertility by killing microbes and mycorrhizal fungi, compact the soil (meaning you need to keep ploughing your own compaction) murders bees and other beneficial insects and requires massive amounts of pesticide and insecticide to protect a ridiculous monocrop of virtually nutrition free food.

If you are trying to find a way to keep that system going then I'm afraid you are at odds with many of the people on this site. Farming needs applied biology rather than applied chemistry. Please read One straw revolution,  or some things about forest garden systems. Those are the future, not spending trillions on energy systems that won't scale up so we can keep the lunatic circus going.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Fossil fuel down on the farm.

Thats very good Transitioner.

However, we convert 10 units of fossil fuel into one unit of food on the fork.

Source.

methods instead of requiring 10 calories of fossil fuel inputs for every calorie of food we eat.

Forbes

This has enabled us to grow the population from 2.56 Billion when I was born to whatever it is now.

We did this, not by becoming much better farmers but by the discovery of FF.

We eat oil, and unless we find another source of energy to feed the excess population that we have now they will starve.

After we have come to our senses about the Right To Breed and have got the population back down below 1Billion then we can impliment Permaculture. But now is not the time to do it.

The other thing we can do is to leave the planet. This is begining to get up a head of steam. Don't worry, we won't be taking you.

sofistek's picture
sofistek
Would 1 billion be sustainable?

The trouble is, if we continue destroying our soils with industrial agriculture, would the soil that remains, when we get down to 1 billion, be able to support that 1 billion?

There are many people, permacultural practitioners, who think it's possible to transition to permaculture methods (because of what they and others have achieved) and support 7 billion people (it won't be an instant transformation). the problem with that is if we don't curtail population, we'll need to feed 8 billion and then 9 billion...

Tony

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Practical experience.

All that is the truth Tony, and has been modeled in the Limits to Growth report. The way to circumvent the implications of the Limits to Growth is to attack their assumptions.

Their assumption was that we are Limited to the surface of this rock. I am aware that even the infinity of space will succomb to exponential growth due to the limits imposed by the speed of light. 

However we need time to change what is meant by being human. We are a work in progress anyway and cannot be held in aspic.

I have tried to cover all these issues in my SF story. There is no need to rehash them here.

I am growing trees in some worked out soil at Salmon Gums.You can see the spot if you type in  33°06'03.53" S 121°38'37.94" E into Google Earth. Impressed? Neither am I.

We have put in kilometers of 120mm pipeline to syphon the water from the top dams. I have put in many hundreds of hours of hard work in the sun. The purpose of the exercise is to prepare a bit of ground that will yield food with no to little diesel fuel. You can see the results for yourself. Zilch. 

You see all that broad acre farm around there? That is where wheat comes from. It is sterile sand. Dead as a dodo. The only way that the farmers can grow your food is with fertilizer, diesel and glyphos.

But I have become clever. I have abandoned the Paulonia and have put in all palm trees. They all survived!! I take climate change very seriously. The Hadley cells are expanding. Tomorrow I get back on my bike and head out there to do some weeding.

Transitioner's picture
Transitioner
Arthur Robey wrote: Thats

Arthur Robey wrote:

Source.

methods instead of requiring 10 calories of fossil fuel inputs for every calorie of food we eat.

Forbes

This has enabled us to grow the population from 2.56 Billion when I was born to whatever it is now.

We eat oil, and unless we find another source of energy to feed the excess population that we have now they will starve.

After we have come to our senses about the Right To Breed and have got the population back down below 1Billion then we can impliment Permaculture. But now is not the time to do it.

The other thing we can do is to leave the planet. This is begining to get up a head of steam. Don't worry, we won't be taking you.

Excuse me, but forest gardening when used intensively can fully support (food,clothing,dye,medicinal) between 5-10 people per acre. This is hugely more efficient than "modern" agriculture. Forest gardening is a perennial based system with no fossil fuel inputs.  I have been reading your cold fusion thread for a while now and your comments confirm my initial impression. You are utterly transfixed on keeping a dying paradigm going and will believe anything that you think will keep it going. You are sadly going to have a very painful future as everything you believe collapses around you and the paradigm you are desperate to save with magic disappears as quickly as it came.

With regards to your comment about not taking me off planet, why would I want too? My body is perfectly adapted to this planet in every possible way. No planet would come close to be as perfect as this one. What do you expect to do when you land on your new planet ? Eat the plants that your body hasn't  adapted for? Get killed by the microbes and virus' that will quickly evolve to feed off you? Perhaps exploit the natural resources and start factory farming up again on another planet?

Perhaps you are a transhumanist that believes your consciousness will be inside a little robot and you can feed off a solar panel. Sounds really awesome.....

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Transitioner extrapolates.

You extrapolated too far Transitioner and have missed your mark.

The soils in which I am trying to grow date palms are Dead. As dead as a dodo. They have been killed by broad acre monoculture to feed the population spike. These are the soils that we rely on to feed us. They extend for hundreds of miles in all directions.

Soils enhancement technologies were one of the parameters that the Limits to Growth tried in their models. It was neither implemeted nor did it's effects suffice in the models.

The sun has increased it's output by 20% in 4.5 Billion years. The Goldilocks zone is leaving us. It is our role in Gaia to take us off this rock. It is inevatible that the oceans will boil away when Gaia can no longer keep fixing the hydrogen to oxygen as it is broken by contact with deep sea magma. The oceans create life and life preserves the oceans.

I am a transhumanist because I wear glasses and shoes. I do not run naked around the bush catching bugs and eating termites. I sit at this computer communicating with other brains all over the planet in an instant. I am indifferent to the setting of the sun. I flick a switch and am bathed in light. When I was a child this was not the case. When it got dark one was forced to go to bed.

Gaia has created a brain, and we are it. However, it is in the nature of the creation of a brain that an excess of neurons are produced and a ruthless pruning takes place. I am of the opinion that the pruning is upon us now. There is going to be a dieoff. Only well-connected usefull neurons will be allowed to live in an environment of limited resources.

I have stated before that it is a common mis-representation of the position that when we leave this gravity well we will be going down another. 

This will unfold as it must.

Transitioner's picture
Transitioner
So just to get this straight

So just to get this straight for anyone reading. Our points of view are as such

Transitioner - The reforming of humus and developing a soil environment rich in bacteria and Mycorrhiza using perennial no dig systems. Capturing carbon within the soil and creating a safe haven for wildlife, whilst increasing food supply on the planet (most importantly increasing it at the location of consumption)

Robey – Believes that we are the brain of the universe and that our ultimate goal it to destroy the planet and the fly off to another world on a grand space adventure. Believes that Cold fusion will bring us unlimited power and that it's only just around the corner (as it has been for the last 50 years) Believes that he is a transhumanist because he wears glasses and uses a computer and that indigenous people are below him (based on the tone of the statement). Believes he will be one of the special ones to survive a die off because as he puts it “Only well-connected usefull(sic) neurons will be allowed to live in an environment of limited resources.

And you say I am extrapolating too far?

I mean, by all means believe what you want to believe but please don't accuse me of extrapolating “too far” when your own extrapolations are that of a science fiction novel from the 60s

kmarinas86's picture
kmarinas86
Robots can take on the task

Robots can take on the task on performing permaculture. If powered by abundant, clean electricity, whether cold fusion, LENR, CIHT, Controlled Intermediate Nuclear Fusion, Aneutronic Hot Fusion, or direct conversion of subatomic particle mass into electricity, there is no reason to avoid supposedly less efficient agricultural techniques. There are enough not-so-wild opportunities out there in the realm of new energy physics that the problem of energy will largely dealt with before it becomes normal to have robotic permaculturists. We don't have to give up technology or the entire time of day, for the sake of sustainability. We can have it all.

kmarinas86's picture
kmarinas86
Arthur Robey wrote:Thats

Arthur Robey wrote:

Source.

Forbes

Forbes isn't exactly the source of visionary solutions to our problems. Hemp (not to be confused for its biological cousin, marijuana) can provide many of the resources currently provided by fossil fuels. The question whether it does is a matter of investment. It is unlikely to be as big in scope as fossil fuels in terms of being an energy source, but the alternative energy sources previously mentioned in this thread can certainly provide us a means to produce hemp in arbitrarily large quantities with the advent of indoor farming and some day by more advanced growth acceleration techniques which may be half a century or less away. If you apply Permaculture in vertical farming style powered by an external or internal source of energy, the amount of Permaculture that can be had in this world is only limited to the amount of green space that you can comfortably fit on this planet.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Transitioner.

Transitioner, try not to use the Strawman argument.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
LENR affects the Oil Market.

Ruby Carot has unearthed this gem from Oilprice. I am no chartist so I have to lean on the interpretation of the author of the piece, but it looks as though Solid State Nuclear Reactions are affecting the markets.

Hypothetically: What if the first customer of Rossi actually is the US Navy? What if the US Navy know for sure that the 1MW E-cat works (because they have bought several)? What if they actually knew this even before the first public demo of the E-Cat in January 2011? Since the test was decided upon sometime during the fall of 2010 and Rossi himself says he had run a heater in a Bologna factory during a year before that, it looks reasonable. So let’s assume that this is the case.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
The Exponential Function Rulz.

Forbes was quoting someone who was quoting someone else. I have read the original research on the ratio of oil input/ food output energy onto the farm. . The Truth is independant of it's source. Even Hitler must have made a truthful statement in his life.

kmarinas86, may I suggest that you see this most important video of all time. It is all about the Exponential curve. Even if we increased our food output a hundred fold, the Exponential curve would do us in.

We are not going to increase out agricultural output a hundred fold because, as I said, we did not become much better farmers than our ancestors, we found oil. We eat oil. 

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
An Appeal.

Please consider giving this cold fusion device a vote so that they can get some funding to do a bit of research.

An email will be sent to you to acknowledge, and that is all you have to do.

kmarinas86's picture
kmarinas86
Arthur Robey wrote:Forbes

Arthur Robey wrote:

Forbes was quoting someone who was quoting someone else. I have read the original research on the ratio of oil input/ food output energy onto the farm. . The Truth is independant of it's source. Even Hitler must have made a truthful statement in his life.

kmarinas86, may I suggest that you see this most important video of all time. It is all about the Exponential curve. Even if we increased our food output a hundred fold, the Exponential curve would do us in.

We are not going to increase out agricultural output a hundred fold because, as I said, we did not become much better farmers than our ancestors, we found oil. We eat oil. 

I expect our agricultural productivity (read: not output) to increase 100 fold with the advent of new technologies. The new technologies in the 21st century need not be based on oil. Can you say for certain that understanding of plant growth on a molecular level cannot be accelerated somehow by some time mid century in the 2050's?

Please also understand that multiplying by 100 is very different than following an exponential curve. Also, when I said, "[T]he amount of Permaculture that can be had in this world is only limited to the amount of green space that you can comfortably fit on this planet." I wasn't invoking the exponential growth function to an infinity in time - quite the opposite really.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Who said what to Whom?

How unfortunate! Here we are with our backs to the wall with regards to energy, on the cusp of a major crisis and we are determined to put our fingers in our ears and sing "La La La, I can't hear you."

Lethaly childish. 

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Professor Focardi Is Dead.

From Cold Fusion Now.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
But His Work Lives On.

So now there is an offer to install one of Rossi’s E-CAT cold fusion thermal units in Sweden as a demonstration. A Swedish group is backing the installation, as a proof of commercial principal, in cooperation with some Swedish energy company. They are inviting applications from one and all.

Cold Fusion Now.

I guess that Big Carbon needs this like a hole in the head.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Washington Post Mentions Cold Fusion Now.

Cold fusion has won the best alternative energy source in a poll by the WP.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Ruby Reports from ICCF 18

Ruby is reporting on the ICCF 18 now. Already we are 3 days in.

David French, a patents expert had to answer a lot of questions about how to patent the phenomenon. It seems as though the USA Patents office is going to allow the patenting of Cold Fusion. To me that means one of two things. Either the evidence is mounting up making a blanket denial ridiculous or they are convinced that there is no harm allowing Loons to waste their money on idiotic dreams.

Whatever. At least now we can see this thing brought out into the light of day, protected by patents.

Let the fun begin.

Day -1.

Day 0

Day 2

Rebuttals and skepticism.

Day 3

Photos of familiar faces.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
A little light between street lamps.

It seems as though Professor Peter Hagelstein is well satisfied with his three hundredth model of what is happening in the Cold Fusion phenomenon. His predictive equations are capable of explaining All the phenomena.

The man's dogged tenacity is a credit to his name. It is not as though he is doing it to get rich or to earn the pundits of his peers. History must draw a veil over the un-scientific nastyness of the last 35 years. But let us not forget the power of the left hemisphere to decieve us with an elegant but incomplete model of reality.

Day 4

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
How Cocky are you feeling?

Are you ready to mix it with the Big Boys?

There is some heavy physics going down in ICCF 18. I get the impression that there is a healthy competition between the theorists. There are several predictive models, from what I understand, and they are all converging on the Truth.

Defkalion is bringing a product to market.

Alan deAngelises comment shows a deep understanding of the physics.

(I see that a Banker who was at ICCF17 made a reappearance at ICCF18. Just between you, Me and the Gatepost, you understand.)

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
The Parade of Volunteers.

A dark thought is upon me.
Perhaps the opposition to Cold Fusion is an unconscious Death wish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconscious_mind.
Why else would it be so strong?
People are self-selecting for their extinction. Apoptosis.
Perhaps this is all necessary and healthy if the organism, Gaia, is to survive.
Some will remain, as Gaia needs a Mind now the she is exiting the Goldilocks zone.

My comment at the end of  ICCF18.

AlainCo's picture
AlainCo
MFMP relay buzz of Defkalion 3rd party test...

MFMP report the buzz of a 3rd party test of Defkalion hyperion to come soon...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=610988905598479&set=a.5872936046...

among the many things which happen this anecdotic message is of general interest

http://www.lenr-forum.com/showthread.php?913-Synergetx-HP&p=5585&viewfull=1#post5585

--

AlainCo the techwatcher of LENR-Forum

my executive summary on lenr: http://www.lenrnews.eu/lenr-summary-for-policy-makers/

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Skipping a Generation.

As if us Baby Boomers haven't go enough to apologise for. Now we have to explain why we did not explore this avenue. Why did we accept the highly ossified models of the experts?

I shall whisper a little truth in your ear.

All models are incomplete. They have to be, otherwise they wouldn't be models of reality. They would Be reality.

Thinking about this model of reality, it is predictable in hindsight that all breakthroughs have to skip a generation. When you are young your models are tenious and flexible. As you get older they become ossified and you end up defending your turf from the young guns.

Who said

"Science progresses one funeral at a time."

And now the next generation of scientists have seized the day. How can we warn them not to become odssified?

One last thought. Carl Sagan said

Extraordinary claims require Extraordinary evidence.

No they don't.

Just think about it for a while.

That is one statement that Carl regreted saying. I happen to like Sagan but this statement is pompous, catchy hornswaggle.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Welcome AlainCo. Worthy Links

I enjoyed reading your links Alain. There is a lot to digest.

I am particularly enjoying "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Kuhn. There is a lot there to agree with.

It should be required reading.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments