Best submersible water well pump?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Southerner's picture
Southerner
Best submersible water well pump?

I am looking into submersible water well pumps and I want to pick the brains of all members who have experience to share.  What are the best pumps...i.e. break down the least and last the longest.  I don't recall CM specifying more or less reliable brands of pumps in his recent water prep post.

Criteria: 100'-125' deep, probably 110V with a deep manual (hand) backup in case of long term loss of electricity.  Will be used to provide water for house, garden, fruit trees/vines. 

My apologies if this has been covered in recent past, because I don't remember seeing it.  My thanks to all who have been prepping longterm to assist those of us earlier in the process.  I think having a well drilled as a secondary water supply is important where feasible.  I am just grateful we live where I can easily do that!

Southerner

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
Re: Best submersible water well pump?

We've been on our farm 20 years and replaced our 110 pump once. It is as you decribed, and i believe its not worth the worry. However, we've been thru alot of solar pumps,both floating and submersible with poor reliability onall of them except our current Grundhos(sp). These pumps provide water to stockers and cow calf pairs across our farm(the Grund... is capable of irrigating our small sweet sorghum patch)

robie

radishcake's picture
radishcake

You can pretty much throw long term experience out the window nowadays because you can hardly find what worked great thirty years ago .. the company is most likely chinese owned by now .. I have a GOULDS 3/4 HP (who state that they still manufacture in the US) in the ground 29 years now (125 feet) which has never had a problem other that a motor control relay that failed 20 years ago. The other one Robie was talking about is GRUNDFOS

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

I am in the process of getting permitted for a second well and I am going to install one of these on it:

http://www.simplepump.com/

It can be hand operated, has the fewest moving parts of any pump out there, all serviceable by me, and/or it can be operated by a windmill, or above ground electric or solar motor, and can operate to a static well depth of 350'.

I happen to have an ideal site for a windmill and so I will install one  to the simple pump to feed an above ground tank that can gravity feed my gardens during the warm months and just drain everything for winter, unhook the windmill, and revert to the handpump option for the winter, should I need water from the second well. 

That's my plan.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

Chris,

Depending on well depth and reprime time, you'll want to be sure water drains unobstructed back to foot valve or freezing will result.

robie

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

robie robinson wrote:

Chris,

Depending on well depth and reprime time, you'll want to be sure water drains unobstructed back to foot valve or freezing will result.

robie

The simple pump has a small drain hole drilled into the well casing just below the frost line...so it only drains back to about the 4' mark in these parts.  I'm not quite sure how that works on the pressure side of the equation but that's what they do and I'll just have to see it in operation to understand how it performs.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

weather and water are our biggest nuisance on the farm. I've a self built portable system with batteries controller and 1 125watt mitsubishi panel that moves to 3 different bored wells scattered aroun 400acres.

robie

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Hand Pump Install

Has anyone gotten around to installing a Hand Pump for their well? I'm replacing my electric well pump this weekend and would like to put a hand powered pump above it once that is done. But I'm having a hard time picturing what the pump will look like in my front yard on the well cap. When we pulled the well cap up a few weeks ago, we saw water, I'm guessing 20-30 feet down, so I may be able to put in a shallow pump, depending on how much the water table has dropped with the hot weather. I'll measure this weekend.

But do I get a wishing well structure and install it on there? Anyone care to share a picture?

tictac1's picture
tictac1
Looks like you guys have the

Looks like you guys have the been there/done that experience, so any suggestions on going totally solar?  I live in a high insolation area (currently a massive solar project is slated to begin near me), and my well level is about 350-370 feet.  Thanks!

LG's picture
LG
Installing a Hand Pump

joemanc

I have a Simple Pump on my well. It is a deep water hand pump. It is stainless steel and aluminum. I use it twice daily to pump water and am more than pleased. You can install it yourself with no special tools, only an extra helper is needed. www.simplepump.com. It is a good product that works well.

LG

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
wow - simple pump w/ solar

Wow - Simple Pump w/ solar seems to be the way to go. Very impressive engineering. Bookmarked, and we will get a quote! Thanks, LG.

newsolarpump's picture
newsolarpump
New Solar Water Pump System for Water Wells

Hi, we are manufacturer of a new kind of a Solar Well Pump especially for rural and remote areas.

For more information please contact me. Wish you a nice day Dietmar

SPAM_rodroc's picture
SPAM_rodroc
Thanks for the information

Hello

I am new to  this forum and I am  interested in solar water pumps.  Thanks for sharing that link with us, it has some very interesting information about solar water pumps  and how they work.  Love some of the pictures too, I had never seen a set up like that, with the solar panels on top of the pyramid looking stand.  Great idea!

Regards

Rod

Septic System Repair 

Lake Norman Septic

surajt2's picture
surajt2
I have been looking for this

I have been looking for this service and I found this one http://www.findwaterfirst.com/ . Southwest Ground Surveyors use the latest generation of electro-seismic geophysical technology, that will help you find well waterbefore you go to the expense of drilling a well blindly. WaterHas anyone have looked into this before? If you have any other options you know are worth the time to check out, please post them here. Thanks!

divylamba's picture
divylamba
Best Water Pump

Lots of water pump available in market now you can choose any from them.Last year I installed a water pump in my farm house which I purchased from donex engineering.This company focuses in to give top quality product to their clients.

SPAM_sonia321's picture
SPAM_sonia321
if you are looking for

if you are looking for submersible water pumps online then go to the pumpkart.com. Pumpkart is an online water pumps store from where you can buy multiple brands water pumps at very affordable prices

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments