Any suggestions on where to get 40 gallons of water?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
C.D.'s picture
C.D.
Any suggestions on where to get 40 gallons of water?

Just got 8 of the stackable 5 gallon water containers and I'm curious to know places where others filled up on 40 gallons of water.  Really don't want to do tap water but if I've got no other options, that's what I'll fill up with.  Maybe a local Ozarka facility or something?  Anyways, what have others on the site done?

Thanks,

C.D.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
C.D. wrote: Just got 8 of

C.D. wrote:

Just got 8 of the stackable 5 gallon water containers and I'm curious to know places where others filled up on 40 gallons of water.  Really don't want to do tap water but if I've got no other options, that's what I'll fill up with.  Maybe a local Ozarka facility or something?  Anyways, what have others on the site done?

Thanks,

C.D.

CD -

If you have a portable purification/filter system you could filter your tap water.  If you don't have a portable filter, you should consider getting one.

Katadyn and MSR make excellent backpack systems that will filter about a liter every 45 seconds.  You can find them from $50-$100 in any sporting good store or online.  FWIW, I have the Katadyn Hiker Pro and have had no trouble at all with it.

http://www.katadyn.com/usen

http://cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Water-Treatment-And-Hydration/category

homestead's picture
homestead
storing water

Hi C.D.,

We've been storing water for at least a dozen years.  We use food grade barrels that each hold 50 gallons; once a year, we remove the water, sterilize the inside of the barrels with a chlorox solution then thoroughly rinse them out and refill them with tap water.  Fortunately, in our area the tap water is good tasting and not the nasty kind you find in a lot of the big cities.  Since it already has chlorine in it, it keeps well.  Have never had a problem with mold or other growth.  Mormon friends originally suggested this method to us.  

We also keep 6 cases of 6 gal. each of the spring water you buy in the grocery stores; the expiration dates on the bottles tell you how long they will last.  Actually, we refill them once a year too (rotating them as we drink the water and empty out the containers) using tap water.  However, the plastic containers break down after 2 years, occasionally sooner than that; we store them in the garage just in case they leak.  Our area once had a water emergency and those jugs of water came in handy for a few days.

We also consider the water in our hot water tank as stored water good for use in an emergency.  And we have the Katadyn ceramic filters on hand for emergency use, just in case, but have never had to use them.

One last thing, we also keep a few bottles of chlorox on hand for use as a last resort to make water usable in an emergency.  Because I regularly use it anyway for laundry, it's not a problem to keep it rotated.  Now some people have valid objections to using it for making water drinkable; we considered other options and decided that this is what we would do but others may think differently.  Another thing, I've seen it written that you can't store cholox more than a few months.  I've used it after it was a year old and it still bleached the clothes just fine.  I always get the name brand without any added scents; that's an important detail if you think you'd ever add it to water you need for drinking.  Hopefully, no emergency would last so long that you'd have to use this method for more than a short period of time.  

Again, there are good people here who would take exception to our methods.  Gather your information and decide for yourself what will best work for you.

Best wishes, homestead grandma

Travlin's picture
Travlin
More on bleach

homestead wrote:

One last thing, we also keep a few bottles of chlorox on hand for use as a last resort to make water usable in an emergency.  Because I regularly use it anyway for laundry, it's not a problem to keep it rotated.  Now some people have valid objections to using it for making water drinkable; we considered other options and decided that this is what we would do but others may think differently.  Another thing, I've seen it written that you can't store cholox more than a few months.  I've used it after it was a year old and it still bleached the clothes just fine.  I always get the name brand without any added scents; that's an important detail if you think you'd ever add it to water you need for drinking.  Hopefully, no emergency would last so long that you'd have to use this method for more than a short period of time.  

For more on chlorine and water start at post 7 here http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/household-cleaning-equiptment-cleaners/55363?page=0#comments  If you rotate it often you should be fine, but some people keep it long term for water use without realizing there is a better alternative.  http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/b...

Travlin 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments