Ammo hard to find as gun owners stock up

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer
Re: Ammo hard to find as gun owners stock up

Yup, apparently been like this since obama was elected.

tx_floods's picture
tx_floods

Wait. Let me provide the counter-point here. One of the things I like best about CM's site, over others is that, for the most part, the site stays away from spin and relies on facts. I wonder if the guns & ammo shortage is spun to any degree.

Several weeks ago, after hearing about g & a shortages, I was really curious as to whether this was true. On a Saturday afternoon, while out running errands, my wife & kids stopped in at Academy, a local sporting goods store. As far I could tell, the gun counter was amply stocked. Handguns, rifles, shotguns, and ammunition were all there, behind the counter. They had an entire aisle devoted to crates and cases of shotgun shells. Dove season is around the corner, so lots of target load & light bird load. I felt confident that if I needed any kind of firearm, I could purchase gun & ammo in quantity, without searching all over town.

Granted, my observation was limited to one store; I did not take any polls of any management personnel; And, being a Saturday PM, the store was packed, and the counter was short-handed, so I didn't even bother to speak with a customer service rep. My site observation was informal.

Still, I wonder: How much of this shortage is hype & spin, designed to create anxiety? Could shortage be limited to certain geographic areas, while others are stocked full?

Ready's picture
Ready

TX, I think you may have seen the same thing I am seeing everywhere I go. Shotgun shells are available in small game load and bird varieties by the pallet, but try to find some .40 S&W, 9MM, 45ACP, or other defense type pistol ammo. You have to litterally be standing there as they unload the truck to get it.

Go online to Cabelas, Bass Pro, Dirt Cheap, Sportsaman's guide, whatever, and every useful round is on back order, some for 2 months or more.

If you look closely at the guns you see available, they are (typically) not protection weapons like AR15s and 45ACPs, but you can get all the .22 pistol and long rifle or double barreled shotguns you want.

As much as I look for the spin in everything too, this one is real.

Rog

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Hey guys,

Some of the local shops around here are empty - odd calibers and high priced stuff are all that's left.

The Bullseye in Tacoma is a dealer that routinely orders pallets of 30,000 rounds,, and I only saw a couple boxes laying around of the "common" stuff. They had ammo on hand for the range upstairs, but the commercial stock was dismal.

It really might depend on location - my wife has had no trouble finding it in Illinois, but out here in Wa, it's pretty bleak.

Cheers,

Aaron

rhare's picture
rhare

I have been on backorder at Cabelas since December for 38 special and .357 magnum.  They keep sending me notices that move delivery date out a month at a time. :-(  Also, the stores in NM have empty shelves.

-- Rob

crazyhorse's picture
crazyhorse

A lot of the same around here - Indiana - both in big stores and small g&a stores.  Shotgun shells are easy to get, .22 is possible some days, and you can forget 9mm.  If you do luck out and come across a box or two of 9mm, it is overpriced compared to a few months ago.  I really do not think there is any spin to this.  And if I remember correctly there was a thread on this talking about if it was deliberate from the ammo manufactures.  I believe the consensus (and I agree) was that if there is demand the manufacturers are producing - they just can't keep up with demand.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Aaron Moyer said:

Some of the local shops around here are empty - odd calibers and high priced stuff are all that's left...It really might depend on location

Locally, it's easy to get shot-gun shells in every flavor but I haven't tried to buy anything else yet.  I think I'm going to stock up while I have the opportunity.  I have to explore loading stuff myself, but those supplies might be short too.

Larry 

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Nothing here in MA.

SG

Ken C's picture
Ken C

Ammo is pretty thin here in LA also

Some reloading supplies are also hard to get. I can't find any primers.

Ken

alan414's picture
alan414

I've been lurking on here since last summer and this is my first post.

I've had good luck getting ammo on http://www.gunbroker.com lately.  Think of it as an eBay for gun stuff.

I've bought 9mm, 38 spec and 5.56x45 over the last few months and it looks like the selection is still decent.

Alan

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

I concur with Aaron. Things are bleak here in the Pacific NW. I'm in Oregon and having a tough time finding 9mm ammo. I got lucky recently and managed to pick up 5 boxes of FMJ (and that was the limit per customer). But JHP? - fuggeda 'bout it!

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Don't forget guys that the US army is still rebuilding their prewar stocks of basic ammo. They have been using a lot in the past few years for some reason.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Zombie is dead right. Pun intentional.

That said, I'd chill on the ammo purchases for the time being. With production ramped up, and the war losing its intensity, I don't think it's going to be long before we see some balance in the force... of supply and demand.

A buddy who works in a gunshop made mention that they're keeping their eye on prices falling back some within the next few months. I trust this guys word, but take it with a grain of salt.

If you can afford to pick more up, and are using it training faster than you can buy it - get it while you can.
If you're stocked up, and replenish what you shoot - you might think about waiting for a bit before making another big buy.

Cheers guy, and keep shootin'!
Perfect practice makes progress, afterall ;)

Aaron

Edited for spelling.

ao's picture
ao

Definitely not hype.  Among half a dozen sporting goods and gun stores I've regularly checked since early February in my area, 9 mm. is not to be found other than some low bullet weight target rounds I picked up 2 months ago that were the last of the  inventory in one store.  45 ACP is pretty much gone except for a couple of small boxes of the most expensive defense rounds.   I picked up the last two boxes of ball and FMJ .45 ammo in two stores two weeks ago and there's been none since.  .308 is hard to find with no FMJ rounds for weeks.  7.62x39 mm. is gone in brass and has been out of stock for many weeks.  A few boxes of steel cartridges appeared and were snatched up quickly.  00 buck is scarce but can be found.  WalMart shelves are almost empty except for specialty or hunting rounds like 357 Sig or 30-30.  A clerk in WalMart told me that people had been coming in or calling every day hoping to catch a truck unloading.  One fellow bought $2000 worth of 9 mm. on the spot before this ammo became impossible to find.   

Very difficult to find any ARs and Mini-14s or 30s and almost impossible to find AKs.  Impossible to find any ARs in .308, M1As, etc.  Springfield Armory, DPMS, etc., seem to be on indefinite back order.  Tactical shotguns are readily available, however.  With regards to handguns, new Glocks and HKs are impossible to find and Sigs are hard to find as well.  Found a used Sig 226 but it'd seen better days.  Have only seen S&W semi-autos with any regularity.  

Had a friend make a 3 1/2 hour drive to a nearby major population center.  He said he stopped at every WalMart, sporting goods store,  gun shop, etc. on the way there and back.  Found the 9 mm. ammo he was looking for in only one place.  Every other place was out.

This is in Michigan.

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

No it's not hype. but Gun owners prior to the inauguration have been stocking up on Ammo, just in case of ammunition restrictions, and encoding etc.

It is beginning to drip through, though currently at a slightly higher price, since September I've got my paws on 5k rounds of 5.56 NATO which is almost unheard of apparently, but I do trawl the internet for most of it, and the most I paid was for my latest 1k brass cased boxer primed non corrosive M193 Prvi Partizan. Actually nearly all that 5K of ammo is Mil-Spec from either Croatia or Israel and this last is the most I've paid $400/1k so at least while expensive, but goes into the reloading pile once fired. 7.62x39 is toast, haven't been able to get any brass cased since last year. You're right about the steel cased though, but a lot of that is old stock, and can be corrosive, and I'd prefer to keep my barrel, gas tube, and pistons corrosion free.

Both Federal and Winchester are beginning to fill the consumer pipelines again, after providing most of their production to the US Armed forces for the early part of the year, there's also a new plant coming online in June or July IIRC and that will free up more Ammo from Winchester/Remington et al. from Military use..

I am seeing much more of hunting style rounds though, 30-06 and 338 Winchester Magnum for instance are definitely available online in decent quantities, and most local stores are carrying reasonable stock too (I'm further North in WA that Aaron). Same applies to OO and OOO buck in Standard,  Magnum and certainly Super Magnum Shotshells, and Breneke Slugs (my slug of choice) have been available throughout.

I am a little surprised by the 9mm situation and now 40S&W (I'm ok on defense rounds,and plinking rounds for now) , and equally surprised by the primer situation which currently forces me to choose, do I deplete cash over primers, since as I'm working I know I'll be getting more cash, but not necessarily more primers just yet, and hopefully will be able to get more before I bug out.

As far as firearms though yes EBR's have been tanked for months, you can't pick up a AR Clone, without dropping double its real value, or waiting months, or both. Pistols wise, my wife picked up a HK P30 last week without an issue, and Discount Guns in WA has a good selection of Glocks, Springfield, Beretta. So that might be regional, or people in WA either already have a sidearm, or don't want one. YMMV

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Hey Gungnir,

Today is my "range day", and I swung by the shop downstairs to have a look at the inventory.

Good selection of 1911's, but the only M&P's were the tactical models, the only SiG's were used, and Glocks were slim pickins as well. XD's seemed in no short supply, which is odd, considering their popularity.

H&K was well stocked as well.

There were several AR's, but a few of them were wierd, odd caliber models, such as the 5.7 upper, the 5.45x39 S&W's, and a couple of .22's cal AR's. That said the prices on the "regular" models were as you say. Inflated to ridiculousness.

Zero AK's - though there was a MAK90, several SKS's and some Romanian PSL's (which would be a pretty fine choice really, considering the price and availability of 7.62x54R) and no shortage of Shotguns.

.308 caliber rifles are right out. I didn't see a single M1A, G3 Clone or FAL.
That bizzare new FN rifle was available however. But... I just don't like the looks of it, and I've learned to trust my gut.

Anyway, that's the "south sound" report ;)

Cheers!

Aaron

tx_floods's picture
tx_floods

Thanks for the updates from your local areas. This just serves as one more example of the mental discontinuity I'm experiencing as this thing unravels. One more brick removed from the wall of denial, I guess. I think, "Things can't really be the way they say they are.......Can they?"

It just seems odd to me, for this one fact - Despite all the over-generalization one hears about Texans (Texans are this, or that, or whatever.), one thing is generally true: Texans own guns. I've got my Remington 870 Wingmaster, but that's it. I've never really felt like I needed a rifle, as I'm not a big-game hunter; Birds only, or a handgun, as I've got little kids, and never felt the need to carry. Now, because I live in upside-down-Bizzarro World, I guess it's time for me to put "guns & ammo" on my prep list.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

TX_Floods,

It's better to be lookin' at it than lookin' for it.

Stay safe.

Aaron

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Ammo a popular purchase at Cow Palace gun show

"It's been a very good year for dealers," said a rifle dealer who did not wish to provide her name. "There's a lot of concern out there about everything. Better safe than sorry."

Some customers complained about the rising prices of guns and ammunition.

There was a virtual run on ammo, with customers buying in bulk everything from .22-caliber bullets to .44-caliber Magnum full metal jacketed cartridges.

"Everybody's panic buying," said a wholesale ammunition dealer, who also requested anonymity. "When the doors opened (on Saturday), people we're running in."

The dealer explained that with the United States fighting two foreign wars, and the constant need to outfit police agencies with ammunition, "what's left goes to the public." 

Semiautomatic firearms "are going fast," said the dealer, who sells classic hunting rifles. "People are afraid the Obama administration will ban assault weapons."

Larry

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

TX.

It's NOT hype. I am out FOUR days a week scrounging for ammo. I have not been able to find 7.62x39 in almost two months.

.30-30? Four weeks.

.357? FOUR months.

Nope. It's legit.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

TX.

It's NOT hype. I am out FOUR days a week scrounging for ammo. I have not been able to find 7.62x39 in almost two months.

.30-30? Four weeks.

.357? FOUR months.

Nope. It's legit.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

TX.

.30-30? Four weeks.

.357? FOUR months.

Nope. It's legit.

nickbert's picture
nickbert

Just an FYI for any still looking for rifle ammo and willing to buy it online, one of the sites I check regularly: http://www.palmettostatearmory.com

has prvi partizan in 5.56, plenty of .308, and even some Silver Bear 7.62x39.  First time I've seen some of the prvi partizan in 5.56 available in some time.  Sadly no 9mm though.

- Nickbert

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Hi, folks;

I just located a big stash of 40S&W, but they want 29.95 for a box of 25. . . . . Is this an outrage, given the current environment?

(Sorry for posting this in both the ammo & firearms threads, but my husband needed an answer quickly . . . . .Thanks, in advance!)

rhare's picture
rhare

An update from Cabelas.  My order I placed in December that keeps getting pushed, just got pushed to the end of July.  Since this is the 4th push on the delivery date I'm not holding my breath.  I'm waiting for .357 magnum and .38 special.

The local Wal-mart said they do get ammo in, and this week they seemed to be getting more than they have for the last several months.  They said people call every night when they get their shipment and the ammo is gone by the next morning.  So I guess you can get small quantities (1-2 boxes at a time) if you are persistent.

-- Rob

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Yesterday my local Walmart had 1 box 30-30, one 30-06, about 20 boxes various .22, and a bunch of 12 gauge.

Other gun store...zilch, and no magazines.

I did find out that in MA, stores can't even sell HK pistols anymore because HK refused to give them pistols to "test".

SG

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

To hell with gold, I'm buying bullets now, with enough of that I can get all the damn gold I want!! :P

Edit: Thats a joke in case anyone lacks a sense of humour btw.

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

I think that idea has occurred to numerous folks. Remember the old fable of the grasshopper and the ant..one saves, one is profligate and then  starves. If the ant had bot a .45 while partying...who knows how it would have ended, LOL.

SG

idoctor's picture
idoctor

Very hard to find any common Ammo any where in the Midwest. No primers or powder either. I have never seen anything like this ever. I have been adding to my supplies when I can but once a shipment comes in it is gone in a few hours if that.

Very little PM also. It appears many people are thinking that things might really get bad?

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Today I bought the last box of 9 mm JHP rounds ($27.95/50) at my favorite shop.  I loaded up on 9 mm FMJ target rounds because I was told they were running short on those too ($13.99/50).  This was at a gunshop that usually has a great inventory.

Locally, 12 ga. shotgun shells are readily available in all flavors so I think I will load up on those before prices start going up.

Larry

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments