Assets after the financial collapse

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
gemel's picture
gemel
Assets after the financial collapse

Hi,

I have been thinking about what assets one can buy which are worth less than 10k are somewhat mobile and will generate an income when resource scarcity, food inflation and unemployment are rampant. These assets should not invlolve a lot of time comitment from the investor.

Any ideas are welcome.

I have came up with the following up to now :

Manual Agricultural equipment (one can rent out)
Dentistry Equipment / General re-usable medical equipment (one can rent out)
Books on Agriculture (one can rent out)
A couple of guard dogs which can generate puppies. (Although this is I would consider as time consuming)

I am aware that the best way to be resilient is to have social capital and skill building etc. However this is not the question, I am tackling that issue in other ways (which are occupying all my spare time, thus the search for non time consuming assets)

How can I make sure this question get read by Charles, Hugh Smith and my other favourite writers on this blog read this question ...

Regards
G

PS : Gold,Silver, Salt and Sugar are not really assets but stores of value.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
teaching men to fish . . .

Assets are stores of value. What you are taking about are tools toward generating income,. True, some tools are also assets in that you can sell them.

So what are the things you can buy now that cost, "...less than 10k are somewhat mobile and will generate an income when resource scarcity, food inflation and unemployment are rampant"?. Your requirement that, "These assets should not invlolve a lot of time comitment from the investor" begs the question: how do you get something for almost nothing? (Fiat money)

So you are looking for relatively inexpensive items today that might generate income in a SHTF situation, and are not time consuming now. Please note that there are certain things, like fruit trees, that consume almost none of your spare time. Just plant them and pretty much forget them. Another thought: if you can find it for under $10K, farmland is appreciating, so some might want to buy land. You can always rent it out to a farmer for cheap just to keep the land cleared, rent it to a beef catle or dairy farmer as grazing land, plant it with something like Bermuda hay that regrows every year, or forest it and harvest trees years later.

Your requst was awfully restrictive. Most of the items you can get now that will generate income in a post-crash world will, in my opinion either involve sweat equity (hard work over time) or specialized knowledge. Within your restrictions the post-carbon farm tool idea sounds interesting, but most of those old-fashioned tools are now prohibitively expensive because they are becoming preferred by working farmers. Most will be beyond your $10K limit. Also, having tools to rent ourt and theoretically knowing how to use them is no substitute for actually using them. It's the difference between "drivers ed" and actually driving a car. Even if all you do is rent tool out, a working knowledge of how the tools can be harmed (so better to warn the renter) will prolong their life. In my case I hope to produce excess saved seed, but a knowledge of when and how to lant and harvest means I can impart wisdom when I sell the seed to better insure its growth.

A forward-looking friend of mine is raising the sorts of horses that can be used for transportation or to hitch to a plow. Another raises goats and might go into cheesemaking. A third has a long-term winemaking hobby and just bought a large semirural lot wherr he can raise his own grapes. The connecting thread between all of these ideas, other than being agricultural, is excitement about their narrow field of interest. One guy loves  horses, another loves cheesemaking, another loves winemaking - I love gardening and saving my seeds.

It may not be the advice you were looking for, but follow your passions. Do what you love, even if it's very, very, very part time. The man who does what he loves won't "work" a day of hs life. And remember that back in the days of non-mechanized farming, 90 percent of our populace worked in agriculture. Those who have never tried have no idea how much work it is to raise your own food. People without food will put all other needs but clothing and shelter aside to get it. Go with a sure thing. Invest in something that supports farming.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
apart from labor...

In a semi-prioritized list:
1. Clean water
2. Renewable energy
3. Seeds and worms.
4. Ammunition reloads.

Without a doubt, you can expect to see these as mainstays of trade. You might be able to trade a charge on a laptop for a few pounds of food. Seeds and ammunition are always useful and will be common currency that require some special knowledge and therefore will be mediums of exchange.

People with cisterns or water wells, aquifers and/or purifiers will have a timeless asset.
I still view skill as the ultimate commodity. Reliable, quality craftsmanship and services have been integral since the agricultural revolution.

Cheers,
Aaron

kron's picture
kron
lombardi's crisis profit alert

I just listened to a presentaion @ www.criticalwarningradio.com   Does anyone know about Michael Lombardi and his news letter? 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments