fake silver eagles

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
ao's picture
ao
Finesilver's picture
Finesilver
Silver

Proof positive that it is ALWAYS to your advantage to buy from a company with a good history and backgroung...DO YOUR HOMEWORK!smiley

Finesilver's picture
Finesilver
Silver

Hello,

I'm new to the site but I am very glad I found it.  I'm most interested in SILVER...

I'm looking forward to communicating with like minded individuals.  I'm located in the middle Georgia area.

Nervous Nelly's picture
Nervous Nelly
Silver

Welcome Finesilver to this Web site.

Oh Lord ,a few months ago it was the counterfeit 10 oz. gold bullion ( tungsten filled )now the silver eagle coin!

We're going to see a lot of this. I deal with Kitco in Montreal.

Sonya

thebrewer's picture
thebrewer
Silver Eagle Verification

I always check every coin I buy. It's not a 100% guarantee but it's the best one can do on their own. Start by buying yourself an accurate digital gram scale that measure to atleast to a tenth of a gram, hundreths if you can find one. American Silver Eagles should weigh 31.101g and if your going to be buying often it's worth it to purchase a "Vernier Caliper" to check diameter and thickness. They should be 40.6mm in diameter and 2.98mm thick.

Although the methods listed above will usually enable you to rule out most fakes (especially the weight test,) sometimes close examination under a strong magnifier settles the matter. Look for silver plating that failed to fill into tiny spots and crevices. Look at the edge of the coin to see if the plating is visible where the rim meets the side; also look between the reeding.

A big one to watch is reeding on the edge. If you ever see an American Silver Eagle without reeded edges, it's not a mint error, but a Chinese fake silver coin. Also, for whatever reason, the Chineese often make American Silver Eagles dated back as far as 1906. That's an easy tell since ASE were not made until 1986.

Those are just a few of the things I've learned over the last couple years..hope it helps.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments