Doomsday Preppers?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
paranoid's picture
paranoid
Doomsday Preppers?

I'm surprised Chris et al have not written much on the hit TV show Doomsday Preppers! Its the highest rated show ever on NGTV. Some of the preppers featured are actually very sharp and well prepared, such as Lindsey and Ray:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/doomsday-preppers/articles...

Seems there is a growing prepper community out there:

http://preppersnewstoday.com/

Poet's picture
Poet
We've Talked About "Doomsday Preppers"

We discussed the show back around November 2011. You might want to take a look:

Why would preppers show themselves on tv?
http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/why-would-preppers-show-themselfs-tv/65470

I've also had a couple of brief conversations with one of them. They said they regretted it, as the producers seemed sympathetic and serious during filming, but in the final product, basically skewed everything to make them look stupid/crazy (last word(s) are mine).

Poet

Doug's picture
Doug
whacky

I've watched a few episodes and found the actual prepping to be informative. The reasons some of the subjects are prepping are pretty whacky. Waiting for an asteroid strike or an eruption of the Yellowstone caldera seem a bit unrealistic. There are far more rational reasons.

Doug

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Doomsday vs Everyday

I can't believe that you need "doom" to prepare.
Emergencies come in quite a variety... a blizzard or flood might keep you away from the store, or the worse yet, resupply from the store, for a few days. Preparing for doom is sensationalist. Looking out for your family's well-being... well, it's really hard to mount an assault against that.

Anything that you see on TV will have been manipulated to foment a predetermined outcome. 
Whether it supports on contradicts your personal feelings or knowledge on the subject is irrelevent. If it frusterates people, shocks people, stirs people up, angers people or makes them feel superior to something, it'll be on TV.

One of the great things about TV is that it is the "snake oil salesman" of our time. For two full generations now, (and a few more on deck) there has been TV. 
What has happened to social cohesion, civic responsibility, community engagement and our feelings of solidarity since?

When I watched Doomsday Preppers, I was, predictably, hooked. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. 
The people were paranoid, morbidly obese, extreme, or otherwise sensational. Of course it's popular, who doesn't want to see the next crackpot with an armageddon fantasy eat bugs, or fill a bus with goats?

Funny thing is - you could just as easily spin that into: hey, these people are taking practical steps that were important to human beings' continuity over the last 150,000 years of human history.

You could elaborate to say: In an serious emergency, these are the people who will be alive, healthy and capable while you're scraping around in a dumpster looking for things that aren't quite rotten enough to make you sick.

...But that doesn't sell advertisements.
Civilization has forgotten its roots, and great disdain for established, proven codes, practices or customs has rarely done society any good. 
Cheers,

Aaron

fionnbharr's picture
fionnbharr
A. M. I dunno whether I

A. M.

I dunno whether I should say this, but a couple months ago my neighbor proudly told me he'd just bought a brand new digital 2 metre TV with a surround sound - and get this - 3D! He was shocked when I told him I'd given up watching the box years ago - shocked like I'd a third eye in the middle of my forehead or something.

Anyway, 3 weeks ago in casual conversation, he tells me that his wife of 26 had herself an epyleptic fit at 5am one morning and the doc had put her on pills for it.

I couldn't bring myself to make the connection for him.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
Pills

My god... Talk about treating the symptoms and not the cause...
This is what I don't understand about medicine today; we have lifestyles that are unhealthy in ways that our ancestors couldn't have even imagined (too much food, sedentary lives in which you can sit and watch literally hundreds of different channels, etc) and our solution for it is prescribe medicines that protract the detrimental behaviors.

And they wonder why people are prepping =D

Thanks for sharing the story... I have a few shows I like, but something about the lack of interaction on TV bores me pretty quick.

Cheers,

Aaron

fionnbharr's picture
fionnbharr
A. M. wrote: My god... Talk

A. M. wrote:

My god... Talk about treating the symptoms and not the cause...

Exactly!

It's like what they've rationalized is a new kind of normal. It's crazy.

paranoid's picture
paranoid
Thanks for the great comments

Thanks for the great comments everyone. AM as usual good to see you chime in! I wrote a blog post on 'Zombies (Real), Guns, Preppers and Farmers' you all might find interesting!

http://www.amazingstoryofyou.com/?p=138

AkGrannyWGrit's picture
AkGrannyWGrit
Moose

When I was a kid we had a back room separated from the rest of the house with plastic to keep it cold.  Hanging from the ceiling was a hind-quater of moose.  Occasionally I was allowed to go in and cut off a hunk for dinner.  We would fry the moose in a cast iron skillet with a few potatoes over the wood stove in the kitchen.  We also, lived without running water or in-door plumbing.  This was a normal lifestyle for us.  My parents were both college graduates and professionals (thanks WWII GI Benefits) and this lifestyle was not one of poverty but rather a desire to explore the wilderness of Alaska and many of the adventures it had to offer.  From my parents I learned common sense, and being prepared can mean the difference between life and death in the outdoors and by extension for normal life too.  We can all survive on ever so much less than we have now, the trouble is people won't know how.

We too watch Doomsday Preppers and find the show insulting though interesting.  It makes for light hearted humor by portraying preppers as all a little wacky.  The sad reality is that people will die if/when there is a real tragedy and many are woefully unprepared.  My heart goes out to the children who will suffer through no fault of their own. I do think there are many people up here in Alaska that are preparing as we are pretty much at the end of the supply chain. I hope so.

Keep at it folks as being prepared will be the difference between just barely surviving and thriving.

AK Granny

Sirocco's picture
Sirocco
Critique of Doomsday Preppers

FYI - http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2012/03/the-consequence-of-doomsday-preppers.html

I also watch Doomsday Preppers. I thought that the first season had some nuggets of really good info; but the first couple of episodes of the second season were so overboard that I almost stopped watching. I can't help but imagine what the future might look like with innumerable defensive compounds of individuals or small groups armed to the teeth and shooting anything that moves.

Shoot first and ask questions later - how in the world would trade or exhange get established? I suspect that, in the event of a collapse, in most cases trade will be desperately needed, and a good number of the folks passing by could have much needed skills or information.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
my thoughts

I would take any one of the preppers  preps add them to my  own and feel a hell of alot better ready for any SHTF  situation .    They are made out to look like nut cases and probably a few are  but I would say they are way more ready than 98% of the US population

FM

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
my thoughts

I would take any one of the preppers  preps add them to my  own and feel a hell of alot better/ready for any SHTF  situation .    They are made out to look like nut cases and probably a few are  but I would say they are way more ready than 98% of the US population

FM

Grantski2's picture
Grantski2
U.S Preppers - Non-U.S. perspective

I'm an anglophone living in Europe, watched a few of the DP programmes recently, with subtitles. I have to say that the "contestants" come across as doubly batty/paranoid once the domestic  subtitles have put the contents through the idiom wringer! I stopped watching after a while as the format became tired very quickly. US media exports might be good for the country's balance of payments but it does nothing to dispell the belief the rest of the world has about the mental stability many in the US. There could have been a few more sensible episodes that explored in more depth the reasons/thinking behind their convictions, and here I'm thinking of the probable majority concerned about the economy and not the planet Z or pole shift nutty ideas. Not primetime programming though is it? Maybe there could be a more sympathetic and useful documentary type format made that explored the reasons for an increasing interest in homesteading etc. i.e. one that explores the existential fears involved and the ways in which voluntary simplicity is linked to reduced needs ....that might be more interesting?

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
they were at the conference

The casting call for Doomsday Preppers at the Suburban Preppers Conference here in the Carolinas told me all I needed to know. I spoke to and then watched the incredibly attractive woman they sent to the conference and read their appllication questionaire. They ARE looking for nutjobs.

The expert they go to--the guy from Practical Preppers on the show--was there, too. He is a great resource and a stand-up kind of guy. Any sanity you see on that show is probably due to his influnce.

Poet's picture
Poet
Worse Than Doomsday Preppers

Worse than the Doomsday Preppers show is what happens when preppers themselves attract the fringe elements and the mentally unstable.

In the Alabama child hostage situation, media was quoting neighbors calling Jimmy Lee Dykes a "prepper" and someone with "anti-government views".

It's hard enough for preppers to be seen as rationally responding to the real threats of natural disasters, economic crisis, supply chain disruptions, riots, etc. It's worse when crazies are also preppers.

These days I just tell people I prepare for about 2 weeks in case of natural disaster, and try to encourage others to do the same. Because Sandy. Because Irene. Because tornadoes, earthquakes, nor'easters, floods, fires, etc. I don't say I'm a prepper. I just say I want my family to be safe and able to ride out the storm until rescue crews and the Red Cross arrives.

When my kids are older, they'll be into "scouting". Lots of "scouting". And earning their fire-making, wilderness survival, etc. badges. Lots and lots of badges. Even if they don't need no stinking badges. Because Federales.

Poet

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
scouting

Even if they don't need no stinking badges

insert "fit of giggles" here. laugh

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments