2013 will not be a favorable year for holders of assets - Dr Marc Faber

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
nagan's picture
nagan
2013 will not be a favorable year for holders of assets - Dr Marc Faber

"2013 will not be a favorable year for holders of assets. Investors’ expectations about future returns on their assets are far too optimistic. In a world that currently hardly grows investors will need to reduce their future return expectations."

This is according to Marc Faber in recent comments on his Market Commentary newsletter. It makes me nervous hearing such comments from the investing guru himself. I think the market has recovered rather amazingly since 2009. I dont know how much higher it can go personally. Ofcourse Im no expert though.

Any thoughts on Faber ?

nagan's picture
nagan
Faber also adds, "That

Faber also adds,

"That something is not quite right with the economy is evident from the recent performance of Wal-Mart, Tiffany, Genesco, and Kohl’s. What disturbs me about most asset markets is that we had outsized gains since early 2009 . My priority has now shifted to the preservation of the outsized gains I have achieved over the last three years."

ao's picture
ao
nagan wrote: "2013 will not

nagan wrote:

"2013 will not be a favorable year for holders of assets. Investors’ expectations about future returns on their assets are far too optimistic. In a world that currently hardly grows investors will need to reduce their future return expectations."

This is according to Marc Faber in recent comments on his Market Commentary newsletter. It makes me nervous hearing such comments from the investing guru himself. I think the market has recovered rather amazingly since 2009. I dont know how much higher it can go personally. Ofcourse Im no expert though.

Any thoughts on Faber ?

I don't know about the market recovering "amazingly".  Compare a 50/50 investment in gold and silver to the stockl market and the "recovery" looks rather weak (and, in fact, in real dollar terms, it's essentially non-existent).  And that return in stocks is with a considerable downside risk, far more than that of gold and silver.

nagan's picture
nagan
From 2009 lows to 2013, the

From 2009 lows to 2013, the S&P500 has gained 100%. So in that terms it was a "amazing" recovery in my opinion.

However you are right on Gold, Silver as they have strongly outperformed the Dow, S&P over last 10 years.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments