Post-Sandy Nor'easter thread

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Post-Sandy Nor'easter thread

Geez, can't a coastline catch a break?

Barely a week after Hurricane Sandy's whomping, the U.S.'s East Coast is suffering a cold, snowy nor'easter.

Our thoughts are again with our East Coast readers. We hope you're somewhere warm, dry, and safe where you can ride the storm out.

As with Sandy, please use this thread to share stories and support.

And keep an eye on any holes in your preparedness that this storm uncovers, for you personally or your community. You can use those insights to focus your priorities in the aftermath of the storm.

stay safe,

Adam

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Live picture feed of storm's impact

Twitpic offers a live feed of user-generated photos of the storm: http://twitpic.com/tag/noreaster/realtime

Reports are that snow is falling at 1" per hour. New Jersey may get 1 foot; NY 8 inches.

RJE's picture
RJE
YUK!

YUK!

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
CO

I've said it before. Beware carbon monoxide poisoning. If your electricity goes and you use a free standing kerosine heater, keep a window open.

Or you will be pink and rosy and dead.

Doug's picture
Doug
Chris?

Being in the impact zone, have you suffered any consequences?

Doug

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
No Nor'easter here...

Doug wrote:

Being in the impact zone, have you suffered any consequences?

Doug

Nope, a complete dud...a few flakes of snow, but nothing that stuck on the ground.  If you hadn't told me this was a major storm I would not have noted anything unusual...just gray and windy.

We've been remarkably lucky here in Montague MA with Irene, Sandy, and this storm all missing us pretty much entirely.  

I'm okay with that.

Still going to ink a deal on a 5kw solar PV system later this week with an early 2013 install date.  I hope that's fast enough.

Jim H's picture
Jim H
I got six inches....

of snow that is... what a mess.  Had to shovel the entire 200 ft driveway so that the morning parade could go on... normally on a morning like this, school would have been cancelled where I live.. but the pressure is great to not use anymore of the "snow" day budget as we lost all of last week to the power outage and state-of-emergency on the local roads due to trees down.  At least I did not lose power again... although I am sure this will further delay the repairs still needed to my cable/internet and the land line phone that is down.  

I am working on a piece that I will post later as a separate thread... called, "The generator analogy".       

Doug's picture
Doug
shovelled??

Among the very first and last things I will hoard gas for is my snow blower.  My driveway isn't near 200' long, but we live in a snowbelt and I have had to shovel multiple feet deep on occasion.  God bless labor saving devices.

Looking forward to your article.

Doug

Jim H's picture
Jim H
snow blower

I do in fact have a big, bad Toro blower.. just didn't seem worth dragging it out of storage yet .. and I needed the exercise  : )

SailAway's picture
SailAway
Re: Post-Sandy Nor'easter

Isn't it remarkable to get a tropical storm and a snow storm within not even two weeks interval? Man you get hit both way on the east coast!

Good luck to all and be safe!

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Doug wrote: Among the very

Doug wrote:

Among the very first and last things I will hoard gas for is my snow blower.  My driveway isn't near 200' long, but we live in a snowbelt and I have had to shovel multiple feet deep on occasion.  God bless labor saving devices.

Looking forward to your article.

Doug

I have one of these Ergo shovels - makes shoveling my 60 foot driveway a chore. Worked well a couple of winters ago, until we started measuring snowstorms by the foot(yard?) and I ran out of room to push it.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202054894/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=snow+shovel&storeId=10051

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Organic snow shovel

joemanc wrote:

I have one of these Ergo shovels - makes shoveling my 60 foot driveway a chore. Worked well a couple of winters ago, until we started measuring snowstorms by the foot(yard?) and I ran out of room to push it.

I have a son.  I don't know what kind of shovel he uses.

Doug's picture
Doug
shovels

Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

joemanc wrote:

I have a son.  I don't know what kind of shovel he uses.

I have one similar to this that works pretty well:

product_NotAvailable.gif
985ca7f7-c9dc-4e69-bd37-b2b299f877bc_300

I'll have to check out the one you linked.

My son's at college.  That certainly slows the shovelling as well as cutting, splitting and stacking firewood.  He spends a lot of time building muscles, the least I can do is put them to use.angel

Edit: I don't know how to get rid of the annoying sign.

VeganD's picture
VeganD
We still got no gasoline in Westchester

I have lived for almost 2 weeks on one tank of gasoline. I am now officially ready for peak oil (in that regard,anyway). Even NYC is on odd/even rationing now:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-08/nyc-to-establish-odd-even-licen...

I am so lucky to have electricity (thanks to nuclear and coal and pure LUCK) unlike many of my neighbors. I just stay home at night, and take the train to work, and live off of my stockpiled food.  I must admit it is annoying being unable to fill up the tank without waiting an hour or three.

Still, compared to many of my neighbors I am one lucky person.

RJE's picture
RJE
Hey Jim H., I am thrilled to

Hey Jim H., I am thrilled to see you safe. 6" is a dusting, and exercise is good. Back to back blizzards are the bummer. 6 inches...Palleeese! I cracked up at Dogs response...just funny is what it was.

Glad you Folks are safe

BOB

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments