Student Seeking Work, Will Travel

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
FAlley's picture
FAlley
Student Seeking Work, Will Travel

Howdy,

I've been on this site for a year or two now. I'm a 22 year old student dropping college this year to work. I want to learn and be useful. I will travel anywhere in the continental US, or anywhere in the world for that matter, for work that is worthwhile under someone who believes like I do.

If I can be of use to you, please message me.

Foster

FAlley's picture
FAlley
Update

I've gotten a few inquiries, and I really appreciate this community being able to offer something physical to one of its members. That speaks quite well of what we have here.

Just wanted to say I'm looking at law enforcement jobs, as I've realized that's something I feel strongly about. Nothing is set in concrete and I'm simply feeling out my options.

Again, if you think someone who believes like you do might be of value to you, please don't hesitate to hit me up. I'm happy to chat and see what other people are doing with their lives.

Foster

RJE's picture
RJE
FAlley, good luck and my only

FAlley, good luck and my only advice, take what is given you, be humble, and respectful, until you get the lay of the land. Show up before time, work hard, and never burn any bridges (two week notice always). Sometimes in this here life shoveling sh*t is a great way to make a living (I did). Please lose the word "WHAT" if in your vocabulary, pardon me, excuse me, are respectful responses to WHAT you do not understand or didn't hear. Trust me.

Go Tigers

BOB

Poet's picture
Poet
Hope For A Young College Student

This forum topic has become a "featured discussion" on this site, under the heading "Finding Meaningful Work" and caption "What advice would you offer to someone just starting out in the working world?"

Here's another forum topic, where a young person "xseo93x" asked, "Is there hope for a young college student like me?" There were numerous replies.

Is There Hope For A Young College Student Like Me? (March 10, 2012)
"...I just recently finished reading the crash course and I found it to hit me very hard, chaning my perspectives and altering some of my ideology in economics."
http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/there-hope-young-college-student-me/72326

Poet

Poet's picture
Poet
18 Years Old And Scared...

You may also want to take a look at another forum topic and the dozens of replies to it, which was started over a year ago by another young person, "zooted" also seeking advice:

18 Years Old And Scared Shitless (April 14, 2011)
"After watching the short film about the Fed through the above link, watching the Crash Course, reading Chris's recommended books and all the while paying attention to the news (not MSM), I AM SCARED SHITLESS

"I'm 18 years old and soon I'll be going to university. As of now I plan on double majoring in Philosophy and Economics, with the intent of going on to Law school. My dad, luckily, has saved up enough for my undergrad education and told me he won't need to take out any loans. That said, is it a good idea for me to go to university and then later to Law school in the current and impending economic climate?

"Basically, what can someone still in high school do to ensure future well-being in the face of current global predicaments?"
http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/18-years-old-and-scared-shitless/56453

Poet

treemagnet's picture
treemagnet
You asked me, remember...

Go get hired on by a large truckload carrier like Schneider, Werner, Hunt, etc and let them train you.  Then, keep your nose clean and get paid to travel the country and see what you like.  Bear in mind you'll live in truck stops, eat fatty food or good food that's gone bad and would make a billy goat puke, and get hassled by complete idiots in the various law enforcement and highway patrol offices - every scale house can be an adventure.....especially SD, CA, and that nasty fat pissed off fat bitch in the SW corner of CO., but, you'll get paid to see, learn, and bide your time and bank some cash.  Have a goal, like " doing this for three years" or such.  Depending on the carrier, you'll only see one segment of society or industry, you'll likely only see interstates and major state highways, you'll not be shown the truest version of the area you'll be in.....but you'll learn to see whats around you.  Don't let these peak this or that crowd convince you otherwise, America rolls on trucks - period.   Remember the key issue of certain jobs that brainy academics won't tell you.  That is, when you're 22 you'll earn what a 55 year old professional makes.  But then, when you're 55 - you'll only earn what some 22 year old is making.....get it?  All you need to know about chosing a career - is time your friend?

Oh, and for a refreshing change,  be one of those employees that goes to work with the goal of "making my boss imagine life without me" - so, scrap what I said about the big carriers and look for a 100 truck fleet where you see and talk to "the man".  Before you hire on,see who works there, how many of his children work there, what positions do they hold, who are their customers - diversified?- where to they haul.....seasonal/refers/dry vans/flats/multi - you get the picture.  

DO NOT, EVER, NEVER....CONSIDER BECOMING AN OWNER/OPERATOR.   I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY A TRACTOR OR LEASE TO BUY.  EVER. NEVER.......ARE WE CLEAR?  

Otherwise, join the armed services and become one of them - at least you'll be on the safer side of the badge/gun/etc.  Or, do what your heart tells you - but you're almost 23 right?....get moving, you're burnin' daylight!

KathyP's picture
KathyP
Useful Work

Do you or members of your family know any plumbers or electricians?  While I know that these are tough trades to break into, I cannot think of more essential work than keeping the plumbing and electricity operating.  As the economy continues to deteriorate, fewer people will be able to afford to buy new stuff and will be looking for people who can help them keep their current stuff working to maintain some semblance of their former standard of living.  In my area of the country, electricians and plumbers, even with the absence of new house construction, still have plenty of work.

Maybe you could offer to be a helper to a plumber or electrician you or your family know.  You'd be able to get the hang of the work before proceeding to any formal schooling in the trade you like.  On the schooling issue, get some advice from an active tradesperson, and stay away from the for-profit technical schools.  Public community colleges may offer the schooling you need to begin your path toward licensure.

My sense is that the future will have work for people who know how basic stuff works, and can fix stuff. 

Good luck to you.

Grover's picture
Grover
Keep the balance

Foster,

There really isn't any single direction that will work for everyone. You will need to divine your own path. Try to make a list of things important to you and also look at things that aren't. Soon, you'll find central themes that can give you direction. Aim toward what is important and you'll have a bumpy road to a worthy destination.

Look at the areas of the economy that have been neglected over the last generation or so. These are more likely to shine, particularly as energy becomes scarce. The "American Dream" of my youth has turned into a nightmare. Balance needs to be restored back to the basics. Stay out of financial wizardry ... for instance.

Look at Maslow's hierarchy of needs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs and you'll see needs at the base of the pyramid that will always be in demand. If you master a profession that responds to one of the more basic needs, you'll always have work to do. However, when you make your list of what is truly important, you'll likely find yourself migrating up the pyramid.

Grover

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
find a career with a shortage

If everyone in the world or the country wants to be a (CAREER) and is studying to be a (CAREER) do NOT jump on that bandwagon. Find neglected career paths that are not featured on Career Day in your high school or college. My son, 30, just started studying Diesel Tech. One of the reasons he chose that is there is a long-erm SHORTAGE of people in diesel work.

I recommend diesel since I understand there is more (heavy) crude that can be made into diesel than gasoline (which takes light, sweet crude oil), and you can make biodiesel. Trucks use diesel. farm equipment uses it. Trains run on diesel and are incredibly fuel efficient.

My son just enrolled in Midlands Technical College and will be chipping away at a degree in Diesel Tech at a school that has a relationship with Siemens - with no loans, a class at a time, while working in a related industry. First stop: CLEP exams to keep the cost down.

As another example,  in the early 90s I became a heavy construction safety engineer/safety manager in part because there was a severe shortage of peole willing to do safety work, let alone on challenging jobsites. I'd never even heard of such a job - they sure missed mentioning safety management at career day in my high school! At my high school everyone wanted to be a teacher: and they all graduated en masse and could not find jobs.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Future work

According to the "Limits to Growth" report capital will have to be moved from industry into Agriculture. Agriculture depends on degraded soils. The soils have become degraded by industrial agriculture, which will be weakened.

The way to fix degraded soils will be with Mycelium. Become a Mycologist. You will be in demand and not have to break your back with the heavy stuff. You will be paid for what is in your head, not for the output of your muscles.

Beware of the wisdom that comes from the rear view mirror. You will be living in the future.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Future work II

If there is substance in the Cold Fusion area then I would recommend that you straddle chemistry and nuclear physics.

There will be a need for clean energy. (As if you didn't know.). If you fill a need you will be fed.

Beware of temporary niches. People have such short memories. Yesterdays Great Warrior is todays boring drunk.

FAlley's picture
FAlley
Thank ya kindly

Thanks for the great advice. I'm currently working in Oklahoma with GiraffeOK on her goat farm. I'm doing hard work in the hot sun (there's something of a drought out here, and the hi today hit 110) and am loving it.

I talked to a police officer yesterday and was told that departments like guys who have business degrees, which is my area of study, so I know that's an option for me down the road.

Getting work done here in OK, and then hope to be moving out and seeing some of the country. If you'd like me to come where you are to do work, please hit me up. I've got a year to fill, and I only hope that it's a year where I get to be useful.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments