5 posts / 0 new
Last post
joesxm2011's picture
joesxm2011
how to learn spanish

Rossetta Stone or is something better?

cggswim's picture
cggswim
Spanish: CoffeeBreak, Michel Thomas and Pimsleur.

For the money the best deal is the podcast: CoffeeBreak Spanish. It is on iTunes. It is free but there is a lot of advertising. The Michel Thomas series sold on Amazon is excellent but only about nine hours in total length so not by any means complete. I would start with Michel Thomas and CoffeeBreak. Pimsleur is excellent but more expensive. It is sold through Amazon and others. You can purchase the mp3 files of it at reduced cost. Rosetta Stone is heavily marketed and therefore the most popular but it is not the best. It is also expensive. However it does help with spelling more than the others.

I have tried some other podcasts and audio programs but did not think that they were that good. I have not tried Fluenz yet though.

Wyzant is a web site where you can find a tutor for any subject near where you live. I had good luck with it.

joesxm2011's picture
joesxm2011
Thanks.  I will check them

Thanks.  I will check them out.

spirit1ness's picture
spirit1ness
Learning Spanish

I have created a new language learning website unlike anything else. The World Word Exchange.com will teach you Spanish, Mandarin Chinese or Thai. Lessons are as low as $2.50 each sign up free and recieve 2 free trial lessons. Try it and please let me know what you think thanks Brian

tonypee's picture
tonypee
Ive used Rosetta - not that

Ive used Rosetta - not that useful imo.

Michelle Thomas - great, but not unless you have a foundation in verbs, theory i'd think (i did a semester 1 course at a school first) - but is great as an additional tool. 

being in the country - great, but you really need a foundation & patient people to speak slowely to you- ive been in s. america & spain recently, and i havent benefited THAT much, since a lot of people speak better english than my spanish, and speak spanish FAST - especially chile & andalucia. 

LINGQ  - http://www.lingq.com/ - this is what i am going to use now to get better - it focuses on learning words (without theory again - which is DEFINATELY worth knowing, despite all the 'natural' ways of learning) - but also focused on listening - comprehension is essential if you will even practially use it - beyond reading ;P 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments