Gun companies refuse to sell to restrictive state governments

Travlin
By Travlin on Tue, Feb 19, 2013 - 11:54pm

Six gun companies have announced plans to stop selling any of their products to any government agency in states that severely limit the rights of private gun ownership.

Disappointed with New York State lawmakers and other jurisdictions around the country who have passed strict gun control legislation, the companies—composed of firearm manufacturers, gunsmiths, and sporting goods retailers—have announced these policies in the past week. 

Their various statements emphasize that such laws create a class of government employees with rights and a class of citizens without rights. Thus, they refuse to aid the enforcement of such inequality.

Read more here.

I hope we see a lot more of this.  If big companies do this it will open some eyes.  Barrett did it with California a few years ago.

Travlin

12 Comments

sootsme's picture
sootsme
Selling to tyrant governments

Were I CEO of a big enough company to sell to governments, there are many to whom I would not sell a roll of toilet tissue, or anything else. Guns & ammo are a small part of what they need to carry out their agenda. If they want to get anything from me, they need to carry out "we the people's" agenda. Please tell any CEOs you know how they can help disable bad gov't by not supporting them in many mundane ways: don't fix their PCs, don't sell them tires, oil, or fuel. Don't service their fire extinguishers. Don't plow their snow. Don't dry clean their uniforms. Don't haul their trash. If you work in civil service, make upholding the Constitution part of your union contract. If you are on a jury, try the "law" as well as the "crime"- if the "law" contradicts or over reaches our Constitution, "Not Guilty". Supreme Court has ruled thus over and over again. For example, all licenses and permits create a "privileged class"- Not Allowed! If you learn about our Constitution, the "Supreme Law of the Land", you will realize that nearly everything present day government does is illegal! (Google "Chris Miller" for an eye opener) The bad people are attacking Liberty on every front. We need to fight back the same way. This is our duty as Citizens, and nothing less will save our ass-ets...

Boomer41's picture
Boomer41
Leveraging the process

This is terrific news and very heartening to see that somebody is finally pushing back against the forces of statist government. I admire the management of these companies for having the courage to put freedom before their bottom line.

Cynics might claim that the companies boycotting the states are not those that do a lot of business with law enforcement or government agencies. However that is immaterial. These are patriotic Americans who recognise a wrong when they see it and have the guts to stand up and be counted. I salute them.

In fact I took it one step further and sent email messages to the CEOs of the gun companies with which I do business, telling them about the boycott and asking them to join in.

I strongly believe that we all need to do more than show up to vote every couple of years. Politicians listen to constituents who write to them on specific issues. They respond to petitions and public demonstrations. Getting in the face of your congressman with your complaints about how the country is being mismanaged carries much more weight than remaining silent.

As Edmund Burke so famously said  "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Doug's picture
Doug
.22 LR

Somewhat OT, but is .22 LR ammo scarce everywhere or just here?

Doug

ao's picture
ao
Doug wrote: Somewhat OT, but

Doug wrote:

Somewhat OT, but is .22 LR ammo scarce everywhere or just here?

Doug

Everywhere that I've checked in our area and online  ... for a while now.

GM_Man's picture
GM_Man
It certainly appears that way

It certainly appears that way across New England.

Wal-Mart gets some in about every two weeks or so, but it is all gone by noon on the day it is placed into sporting goods.

GM_Man

Doug's picture
Doug
hmmm

I've heard that those who have .22 "drop-ins" for their ARs and Ruger 10/22s or similar guns are buying all they can find.  What have you guys heard?

Doug

ao's picture
ao
utilitarian

Doug wrote:

I've heard that those who have .22 "drop-ins" for their ARs and Ruger 10/22s or similar guns are buying all they can find.  What have you guys heard?

Doug

I can tell you why I loaded up on high velocity 22 LR a while back plus a load of BX-25 magazines.  The Ruger 10/22 makes a nice, small, light, low recoil, relatively quiet (potentially easily suppressed), "back-up" mini-tactical rifle with cheap, lightweight ammunition.  And, I can fill a single 50 cal ammo can with enough ammunition to keep my family in meat for the rest of my life.  And in the stainless/synthetic version, it's largely weatherproof. What's not to like?

Doug's picture
Doug
agreed

I agree that the 10/22 is a nice gun, but what I'm not getting is the sudden demand for .22 ammo.  It has historically been probably the most common and easily available ammo for most of my life.  Now, it suddenly disappears.  Does the demand from 10/22 owners and AR drop in owners create that kind of demand?  There just seems to be a disconnect.

Doug

sootsme's picture
sootsme
Re: 10/22 - Amen

ao, you're spot on. I am such a fan, for all the same reasons that you are, of this highly underappreciated tool that I recently became a dealer for arguably the best line of high capacity magazines available for the 10/22, just because it was the only way I could get some for myself and my family. If any of you are also true believers, you might check out this video:

As you may imagine, sales since I got my dealership are brisk and then some. If you have arms that use 10/22 magazines, these are worth a serious look. There are a number of dealers around the country, and the factory is rapidly refilling the huge vacuum that has recently been in their pipeline, so their dealers should have inventory sooner than later. Obviously, we would appreciate your business, but the important point is that those who need them are aware of quality tools that are out there, and thus able to make informed decisions. If you need help finding a dealer in your area, contact me and I will help.

Also, for those considering a 10/22, for my money the synthetic/stainless version is indeed the way to go. My son has had one of these as his "truck gun" in the Pacific Northwest rain forest for many years, and having gotten very little consideration with storage and cleaning issues, it just keeps going and going and going. This is not a recommendation on how to treat yours; I'm just sayin' this is one tough, reliable gun.

There has been a lot of buzz about the takedown version. They are a quality unit by all accounts. One caveat is that it takes longer to put it together than it takes to unfold a quality aftermarket folding stock, which setup only requires a little bit more storage space, while affording the option of a pistol grip or a shoulder mount on short notice...things to make you say "hmmm"...

Keep stackin' and stay safe out there.

fgbouman's picture
fgbouman
.22LR ammo

This seems to be a national problem.  It strikes me that there are a lot paranoid people engaged in panic buying and hording of guns and ammo.  That's great for the manufacturers but is troublesome for those who put their weapons to productive use and don't engage in paranoid fantasies about the government. Unfortunately there are an awful lot of the latter with us these days.

Boomer41's picture
Boomer41
Paranoia

They may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean the government is benign and harmless.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
simple...

Supply and demand.
As long as Obama is beating the drums of an antigun agenda, this will continue.
Its seriously interrupting my training demands, so I wish he would stop.
Cheers,
Aaron

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments