Where do you seek help/support for a two (or more) person job?

Amanda Witman
By Amanda Witman on Thu, Jan 31, 2013 - 2:00pm

I find that self-sufficiency sometimes lends itself better to a team than a solo explorer.  Even sometimes just lifting something requires a helper.

What do you do when you find yourself in such a situation -- needing to lift or move something too heavy for one person, needing an extra pair of hands to steady or assist with a tool or machine? 

Do you have nearby neighbors or friends who are likeminded, or have you figured out innovative ways to handle "2-person" jobs alone?  Or do you have some other kind of network you can call on when you need a hand?  How do you personally gather the support needed for such jobs?

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Preppers Without Partners Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community of single preppers creatively explores challenges and solutions, advantages and disadvantages to either "going it alone" or facing the future as a single adult responsible for the care of children or elder family members. Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

5 Comments

ptwisewoman's picture
ptwisewoman
Going it mostly sole

Hi everyone.  Just joined.  I have 5 acres that I am working on and find myself doing much of it solo.  My Mom lives with me but she can really only help with planting/transplanting, harvesting and preserving.  I get the heavy work, in and out.  One of my neighbors said to me once that I was the "haulingist" woman he had ever met.  My property does have a slope so I've moved a lot with a small cart behind the lawnmower and two wagons, one without power other than mine and one that runs on gas.  Thankfully I'm still reasonably healthy and when my back is bothering me, I rest.

I have spent some time identifying local businesses that do good work that I can hire for carpentry, clearing, etc.  And there is a young man not far from my house who prefers to work contract and I can hire him for miscellaneous work when I have enough to make it worth both our time.  The young man who maintains my small gas equipment is also available during the winter when his work is slow.  Most folks around here grow food as a matter of survival and have for generations.  So, when we get together we talk about how the garden is growing or who is doing what in their yards.  When I had about 1.5 acres of my property cleared of miscellaneous plants and started planting fruit and nut trees it was the topic of active discussion around the table at the voting booth.  My rainwater collecting also generated lots of dicussion for a while.  While neighbors always volunteer to help, none of us ask very often.  But it is good to know it is there.

Sharon

TreeGap's picture
TreeGap
Stubborness

I moved to a house on 15-acres in June and the issue of how to accomplish two-person jobs with one body has been an ongoing issue.  (Add a dog and two young kids to the mix... and, it gets even more challenging.)

I don't really like the word "Prepper,"  I come from a corporate, suburban heritage and have now planted myself in Northern New England.  I think of it more as moving in the direction of being self-reliant as a way of taking responsiblity for my family, ensuring they are well-sheltered, warm and fed.  This is the foundation for meeting all other needs... you have a place to read, socialize, make music, be part of a community... etc.

I was raised in the suburbs of an East Coast city eating Tater Tots and Salisbury Steak.  In later years, I started my morning with a cup of coffee on the train to my career.  Living in the country and connecting with Real Things is very new: Where my does my heat comes from? Does my heat work when the electricity goes out?  What if the electricity is out for weeks?  How does my water heater work? What would it take to add a solar panel.. with an inverter?

I bought a wood stove from a local craftsman in October and had it installed in December.  I stacked 3.5-cords of wood myself and have hauled it all Winter long.  The local craftsman has been an invaluable resource for guiding me through learning curves of heating with wood.  (I've found that buying local as a solo person to be incredibly helpful.)

My relatives are just now coming around to the value of having a place in rural New England..., and while they are continuing to pursue their lives in East Coast cities they are assisting in building this homestead.   Mentally, this has been a great relief.. as I have felt at times very alone—out on a limb wondering if leaving the future I was told (all my Life) I should strive for means I've completely lost my marbles.  So, with allies now on my side... it is much easier to move things forward.

I am also really stubborn, if I can't move a heavy item I will find a way to do it.  Lots of stuff has been moved using an old lime spreader for the lawn.  Another useful item is an old metal cart with wheels.  I have even hauled home a refrigerator from Home Depot, unpacked it in the parking lot & away we went.  I got it in the house, because I had to.  Failure was not an option.

I also have a local agricultural group which is sharing talents and resources, knowledge, this will be a great help going forward.  Adjacent to my land is an organic farm with farm shares, which is awesome.

I've come to think that for those who have told me I'm nuts & should move back to the city... there will come a time when the work I'm doing now will be a blessing to them.  So, if preparing a comfortable, safe place for your loved ones is "prepping," then I guess I could be a "Prepper."

BAU No More's picture
BAU No More
Going through it right now

I'm in the middle of it. We're breaking up rather abruptly after 2 years. Hadn't seen it coming and it's tough. He'll be moving out in a few days and I'll be a not-partnered novice prepper (again).

I haven't done much in the way of prepping yet, other than striving to stay strong and fit and learn a few basic survival skills. But I've recently taken step zero, which for me meant starting a few seeds on my window sills, which will hopefully make it to my garden as soon as it stops freezing at night. I find that the need to tend to those seeds is helping a lot in keeping me grounded and sane through the pain of separation.

It's good to read your stories! TreeGap, I can so relate to your stubbornness! I have yet to find something that I can't lift or move on my own, or which cannot be taken apart into smaller pieces that I can handle. I've been in the failure/giving up is not an option situation many times, and stubbornness has always helped me push through. I kinda grow in challenging situations, especially physically demanding ones. I guess it's the survivor mentality that we all share here. It's good to meet you all!

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
Welcome, BAU No More! You are in good company here.

I'm so sorry to hear about the unexpected breakup.  I had that happen about two years ago (after 22 years together).  Today is the one-year anniversary of my legal divorce, and I am surprised and pleased to say that I am celebrating that.  I hope you'll find you are healthier and happier as a result, as I have.

Sounds to me like you took Step Zero even before the seeds were planted -- staying fit and gaining skills are important facets of resilience. 

What growing zone are you in?  I'm in Zone 5 and it's still freezing at night here, too.

Keep posting.  It's nice to meet you.

MyBackAchers's picture
MyBackAchers
Hoping it's been getting better for you

Sudden breakups are not easy. Luckily had a years of seeing the signs and had the mental time before the end of the relationship.

it does get better with time and a good support system of friends and family. You have a lot to offer as a single person with or without kids in the mix. 

In the end, you will be a stronger, smarter and wiser person that your children will respect and love for all you have done.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments