Chris' Appearance on the final episode of Capital Account

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Sun, Jan 6, 2013 - 11:13am

On Friday, RT.com's Capital Account with Lauren Lyster aired it's final episode (don't worry, Lauren is moving to an even more visible gig at Yahoo!). Chris was her featured guest.

It's a good segment that captures Chris' thoughts on how to invest in a liquidity-flooded world. I'm posting it to this group because he retireates his reasons for holding gold & silver. Plus, before his segment, there's discussion of the Trillion-dollar platinum coin; and the segment following Chris focuses on price manipulation in the precious metals markets. (Chris' segment starts at 2m:27s)

Note: If you're reading this and are not yet a member of Peak Prosperity's Gold & Silver Group, please consider joining it now. It's where our active community of precious metals enthusiasts have focused discussions on the developments most likely to impact gold & silver. Simply go here and click the "Join Today" button.

34 Comments

Rector's picture
Rector
It would be great if. . .

Can we set the site up so that Chris talks, but the camera stays on Lauren the whole time?

locksmithuk's picture
locksmithuk
Second time around

Rector wrote:

Can we set the site up so that Chris talks, but the camera stays on Lauren the whole time?

A lot would depend on which way your flag blows.

But I'm seconding your request. In fact I can't recall a single thing about what Lauren was saying. I mean, I could see that she was speaking and all (on my screen the interview was in slow-mo and there was a breeze in the studio blowing her hair this way and that), but.... oh well, will have to go back for another look. I mean listen.

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
unreal...

Sheesh, you guys!  It seems every time LL is mentioned, the discussion goes this way.  Too smart, too good looking, too vivacious.  Didn't you see that antenna sticking out of her back?  Radio-controlled android, pure and simple!  Can't wait to see her on Yahoo.  I mean LISTEN to her.....;^)   Aloha, Steve.

locksmithuk's picture
locksmithuk
LL cool yay

thatchmo wrote:

Sheesh, you guys!  It seems every time LL is mentioned, the discussion goes this way.  Too smart, too good looking, too vivacious.  Didn't you see that antenna sticking out of her back?  Radio-controlled android, pure and simple!  Can't wait to see her on Yahoo.  I mean LISTEN to her.....;^)   Aloha, Steve.

Thatchmo, you do LL a great injustice by failing to mention all her other qualities, and I will not have her ignored so. What about cute, elegant, perceptive, respectful (a rare thing for a presenter I think), smileacious (one I made up earlier), chirpy, expressive? She's the only android I've taken a shine to since Radiohead came along.

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
Yeah, and better hair than

Yeah, and better hair than those gals in Bladerunner...Aloha, Steve.

anexaminedlife's picture
anexaminedlife
The comments are really offensive

Lauren Lyster is one of the most intelligent and perceptive interviewers in all of financial chatterdom. It is painful to read these demeaning comments - save them for the Victoria's Secret models or the swimsuit issue of SI, would you please?  Really guys - what century are you from? 

That being said, I am afraid we will no longer be hearing the bold, truth-seeking, and insightful interviews Ms. Lyster has been allowed to conduct on RT. Yahoo is just too mainstream. Sad to see her leave Capital Account; I'll give her a chance on Yahoo but I feel fairly certain she will be co-opted. 

Rector's picture
Rector
I agree. Your Pious Indignation needs some examining

Dearest anexaminedlife,

Lauren Lyster IS "one of the most intelligent and perceptive interviewers in all of financial chatterdom".  She is also very pretty; a fact that is well known to the producers of her program, and to Lauren herself.  (See the intro to the piece if you don't believe me).  

I don't understand how acknowledging this obvious fact is a "demeaning comment".  She is a person of multiple gifts and her beauty is to be appreciated.  Her intelligence stands alone, and I did not make a crude case that her beauty somehow negates her skills as an interviewer or professional.  Could you please reread my comment and identify the "demeaning" part?

Our culture objectifies sexuality generally, and women's sexuality specifically.  This is a crude byproduct of appealing to the most basic appetites of human beings.  Simply identifying that someone is attractive, and doing so respectfully, is not objectification.  Had I made a crude comment or joke about her physical assets, I could understand your pious indignation.  In the absense of such a comment, you sound like a woman who resents attractive women for some reason.  Examine that.

And since I am taking the time to respond to your little lecture, I will point out that at the end of your post, you have insulted Lauren's integrity by speculating that she will be "co-opted" and will no longer be conducting bold, truth-seeking, and insightful interviews.  I thought you held "Ms. Lyster" (another assumption) in high regard.  Is fame and success to be denigrated along with physical beauty?  Really honey - save these demeaning comments for Mother Earth News.

Rector

AkGrannyWGrit's picture
AkGrannyWGrit
I agree with "anexaminedlife"

I agree with "anexaminedlife" many of the comments about Lauren Lyster are meant to be funny but come across as demeaning. Really guys this was a professional podcast and most of the comments were about Lauren's looks. This is a clue-by-four moment, puberty should be behind you.

AK Granny

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
seconded!

I don't frequent this site in order to get comments like the ones that we have seen here. I expect better from a site that is widely recognized for its professionalism and credibility. Comments like this belong more appropriately on Zerohedge comment forums.

And Rector, any bit of credibility your post might have had went out the window the moment you called anexaminedlife "honey". In this day and age, men who call women "honey" are viewed as dinosaurs. Needless to say, you lose all respect when you use those kind of sexist labels.

Give it a rest guys.

Jan

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
I appreciate all comments

I appreciate all comments here, but I think we all come here for insight on the prediciment of the 3 E's, not a solution to the age-old male/female thing.   What I see as light-hearted humor can ease the pain.  Let's ask Lauren- if she is offended, I'll apologise to her and all.  I'm wagering it won't be necessary.  Aloha, Steve.

locksmithuk's picture
locksmithuk
Conditioning

westcoastjan wrote:

I don't frequent this site in order to get comments like the ones that we have seen here. [You didn't get the comment - Lauren Lyster did]. I expect better from a site that is widely recognized for its professionalism and credibility. Comments like this belong more appropriately on Zerohedge comment forums.

Give it a rest guys.

Jan

anexaminedlife wrote:

Lauren Lyster is one of the most intelligent and perceptive interviewers in all of financial chatterdom. It is painful to read these demeaning comments - save them for the Victoria's Secret models or the swimsuit issue of SI, would you please? Really guys - what century are you from?

When I read both responses above I thought immediately of something I often wonder when accusations of racism/sexism/ageism/otherisms start flying around -: conditioned societal reaction on someone else's behalf, or genuine offence actually suffered by the accuser? In this case it has to be the former. Why? Because of the staggering presumption in both responses:

1. anexaminedlife presumes that we hide behind screens with fantasies of swimwear or lingerie models with LL's head superimposed on top. Lauren was complimented (by me at least) because she's a talented, smart AND attractive presenter, not a pinup calendar model hopelessly expecting her inadequate clothing to do a good job;

2. westcoastjan presumes we're all men. Why?

3. both anexaminedlife and westcoastjan presume the comments were sexist. Sexism is variously described as "attitudes or behaviour based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles", or "prejudice or discrimination based on sex", or "attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex". I fail to see the connection between previous comments about LL and any type of prejudice, discrimination or stereotyping based on gender.

Expressing admiration for someone's skill, intelligence and physical beauty in a humorous vein is not an invitation for ill-conceived and trigger-happy accusations of lasciviousness. It seems that it's fine for Clooney and Pitt to be publicly gushed over, but not so LL, who should be championed for possessing perhaps many finer qualities than the two men mentioned. The day I stop expressing admiration for nuanced grace, elegance, character and yes, physical beauty in another human is the day I stop breathing. And I know from experience that receiving compliments metaphorically tickles the tummy, so why would I not reciprocate? My partner adores that I appreciate beauty in whatever form, and is not so insecure that an innocent comment on an electronic forum is going to trainwreck our relationship, so I'm afraid I won't be standing on politically correct ceremony.

Others are welcome to walk the conformist path of vanilla expressionism (which, by the way, goes against the grain of this site). Enjoy your staid journey. Me, I'm having none of it.

Rector's picture
Rector
It was tongue and cheek playing to the "sexist" stereotype

Jan you must be either humourless and apparently unable to see sarcasm.  Do you seriously think that I walk around calling women "honey" in 2013?  It was a joke, just like the silly little chastisement you have provided here.  Give it a rest sweetie.

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
neither

Why is it that on this site I have never seen comments on the physical attributes of the males who provide us with the vast majority of podcasts and articles? Perhaps it is because they are not being constantly objectified the way women are in the MSM.

I am neither humourless nor unable to see sarcasm. What I am is tired of the failure for those who make such comments to be able to see how it is these very expressed attitudes, regardless of intent, that continuously undermine women, and especially women with power. Why is it that in the MSM that there is far more commentary on what women look like than on the contribution that they are making in whatever field of endeavour they are in?

Take a look at this for a view of how one of the most powerful women in the world is treated by the (at the time) most powerful man in the world. If this men's idea of humour, then my all means call me humourless. I was stunned when I first saw this, and to me, it goes to the heart of this discussion.

The thing is, the joke is not welcomed Rector.. Not by me, and while I cannot speak for others, I am certain that many women would concur. Whether you want to admit it or not, it plays into how women are treated in this world. Unless you have experienced what we experience, you are unable to understand where we come from on this. You just don't get it.

Peace,

Jan

gillbilly's picture
gillbilly
How many women...

originally applied for Capital Account job who were less attractive but smarter? How many female anchor/tv commentators in all of media are unattractive? We know the same is not true for men. And to "ask LL if she is offended," someone who has benefitted from her looks is rediculous (although she might be offended). Why not ask a woman who wanted her job, but wasn't as good looking if she is offended by your comments?  Built into your comments above is an implied derogation, so unfortunately, no matter how you try to spin it as humor, it's not funny to those who have to live with the derogation every day. Jan has a right to be appalled with your comments and deserves an apology. 

Thank You

locksmithuk's picture
locksmithuk
Gerbils and presidents

The Bush video clip is about as relevant to this discussion as gerbil fur is to nuclear science (I hope no nuclear scientists disprove me, or I could be on shaky ground). The man is a buffoon who presumed a level of familiarity with another person far beyond the appropriateness of the situation, and he deserves everything he gets from stone (and shoe) throwers out there.

Presumption is obviously more contagious than I first feared. Gillbilly, the insinuation that Lauren Lyster has benefited from her looks – and that other less attractive women were passed up for the role on that basis – is presumption personified. I wasn't in the interview room and perhaps you weren't either, so who knows? I’m not sure if we should be more offended by: a) the sexism you’ve demonstrated whilst criticising it in others, or b) westcoastjan’s ludicrous determination to stereotypically label the contributors on this page without first remotely attempting to establish the motives for a genuine appreciation of brains and beauty (and neither was any attempt apparently made to address any points I raised above – we got a lazily-embedded clip of a buffoon president instead). Frankly it’s tedious. The debate has become poorer for both points, and I’m disappointed that an initial gentle comment about someone’s good looks has been overridden by myopic ignorance & presumption (note to self: beware those who apply typing fingers before brain).

I’m done with this particular debate, and I’m off to watch a Kyle Bass video. He’s not as good looking as LL, so I should be safe from the hissing mob over there. Unless of course I mention how sharp he looks in a suit.

RNcarl's picture
RNcarl
Oh Boy

I was wondering how long it would take before the comments were taken to task.

I am not commenting on correctness, incorretness, etc.

I actually hadn't had time to listen to the interview the first time I opened the page. When I read the first few posts, my first thought was, "Oh Boy! You poor b@$t@r&ds! y'all are in-for-it now!"

I will not defend or admonish the comments in question. I can get myself in enough hot water all by myself, thank you.

I do want to make a comment on the following:

westcoastjan wrote:

Why is it that on this site I have never seen comments on the physical attributes of the males who provide us with the vast majority of podcasts and articles? Perhaps it is because they are not being constantly objectified the way women are in the MSM.

I am neither humourless nor unable to see sarcasm. What I am is tired of the failure for those who make such comments to be able to see how it is these very expressed attitudes, regardless of intent, that continuously undermine women, and especially women with power. Why is it that in the MSM that there is far more commentary on what women look like than on the contribution that they are making in whatever field of endeavour they are in?

Peace,

Jan

First, I am sorry to offend the male posters of those podcasts, but, uumm, 'eerr... The term "Geek-a--saurus" comes to mind for most, if not all of them. (sorry guys) Jan, you may have a different opinion and I would defer to your evaluation. I do recall when Chris went through his physical transition (fitness) there were a few "cat-calls" in support of his new found fitness.

As for the second highlighted comment, I suppose most men feel intimidated by women that not only are smarter than them, but could (because of their physical prowess) have any man they wanted. You know, brains, looks, personality. The whole package which they are not in possession of any of the three.

And Rector, any bit of credibility your post might have had went out the window the moment you called anexaminedlife "honey". In this day and age, men who call women "honey" are viewed as dinosaurs. Needless to say, you lose all respect when you use those kind of sexist labels.

Well, with that, I am right in the dinosaur category. But, since I have moved to the south, everyone calls everyone "honey" so I am safe.

OK - I will now try and watch the interview.

Rector's picture
Rector
For the record

Let's look at my offensive comment, just to be clear:

"Can we set the site up so that Chris talks, but the camera stays on Lauren the whole time?"

I neither objectified her, commented on her "attributes", nor said anything derogatory about Ms. Lyster.  She plays up her own appearance for her benefit, and her looks are an asset in addition to her skill and knowledge.  Being good looking gives her a competitive advantage and has contributed to her success. That's the way the world works, and it has been that way since the dawn of time. Your comments suggest that she is being victimized by men because she is pretty. Kyle Bass is also good looking, and I wouldn't be offended to hear a woman say so, because it is true.  The same thing goes for LL.

I have experienced being objectified, BTW.  It didn't bother me in the least.  Good day to you Madame. 

Rector

gillbilly's picture
gillbilly
Nice try locksmith.

I try not to reply in regard to negative comments, but I am sensitive to this issue...

Nothing I said was sexist. I didn't imply anything, just asked questions that many would ask considering the prevalant hiring practices in the media in regard to women.  I'm sure Lauren is very nice and intellegent and maybe she was the most qualified, but looking at hiring practices in the media and the message media sends, the above questions are just examples that inevitably come within the context of those messages sent by the media and remarks such as yours that negatively objectify women. You keep digging yourself deeper, so it is wise to go elsewhere. I can tell you as someone that has worked in and supported women's institutions, not to mention having a daughter, you and those above would be lambasted for your remarks.

It seems you forgot what you posted so let me remind you:

Your reply, excuse me... your initial gentle comment about someone’s good looks:

"A lot would depend on which way your flag blows."

"But I'm seconding your request. In fact I can't recall a single thing about what Lauren was saying. I mean, I could see that she was speaking and all (on my screen the interview was in slow-mo and there was a breeze in the studio blowing her hair this way and that), but.... oh well, will have to go back for another look. I mean listen." 

Sorry, you just can't spin this,and yes, you would be potentially fired in the workplace for these comments. You are not gently or respectfully commenting on her looks, you are objectifying her. So before you begin labeling people gerbils for off-topic posts, you might heed your own advice and think before typing as well as look at your own myopic ignorance! Just type in "women, media, negative stereotypes" into your web search and you can read all you want on the subject.

Peace!

gillbilly's picture
gillbilly
Wrong again.

Rector and RNcarl,

You can't run the scenario in reverse  because history hasn't been repressive and victimizing to males in this way. It's the difference between women being called sluts for having multiple partners and a guy being called a stud. So, catcalls about a man's look is not the same thing...sorry.

It would be best to for this thread to end.

Thank You

AkGrannyWGrit's picture
AkGrannyWGrit
The Horse Is Dead

I agree the horse is dead lets move on, no more tirades please, I think the point has been made loud and clear that some of us have been offended, (multiple times). Snide remarks, name calling and sarcasm are not professional or appreciated, or funny!

AK Granny

north-of-the-border's picture
north-of-the-border
Right on...

Right on, anexaminedlife, the comments are getting very silly.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Nice job, Chris.

Nice job, Chris.  It's great to see you getting these kinds of appearances, and seeing your views being given the respect they deserve.  

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
just one last detail

I forgot to put this in my last post...

The video that I referenced first came to my attention when I was attending a 2-day workplace seminar on harassment and discrimination. The facilitator, a male human rights lawyer, was leading a discussion in a class largely dominated by male managers on what barriers to success look like. He showed us this video to underscore his point that a lack of respect for women and the behaviours that stem from that lack of respect go right to the top of the foodchain. It was a well received point. We'll have to hope that the point translates into some enlightened managers who are supposed to lead by example.

Jan

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
It's not fair.

You should hear the terrible things they have said about me. (Especially Sergeant Snake.)

"Snake" Allen, who hurt my feelings on more than one occasion

Source

But never have I been accused of being sexy.

White male. No concessions.

gillbilly's picture
gillbilly
Jan, we men are not all alike.

Jan, 

Thank you for your posts. It's unfortunate to see the popularity of misinformed and grossly misguided posts. It only shows we still have a long way to go on women's issues in this country. To try and make the case for a double standard, or prejudice acting in the opposite direction, (cloaking it under political correctioness) only turns a blind eye to the devastating effects this has had on women throughout history. Bolemia, anorexia, low self esteem in regard to physical appearance, glass ceilings, rape...last time I checked these were predominantly women issues. The fact that they can't see the connection between their remarks and the underlying negative stereotypes is sad. 

Okay, I'm finished.

Thank You

RJE's picture
RJE
Boys, Boys, Boys, time to Man up and take responsibility...

...you broke the rules. This is ABSOLUTELY locker room talk and the Man rule is: What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room". Geezus, just shut up now!!! OH!, and apologize, sincerely.

Just one last thing. If I were the moderator or Chris even, I would have censored or gave a strong lean towards the Woman's side of this argument. A few of these threads are WAY overboard. "Honey", "sweetie", and the embarrassing (as a Man) tone of some of these are just disrespectful. If any Women has to defend her position on this then we (the Men) are wrong, it is that simple.

BOB

RJE's picture
RJE
I feel your pain Arthur...

...I step forward when predator type behavior comes at me and I get detention. That and I used Adam and Jason to make a point (oh yeah, that's why I probably got detention. Ooops!). My feelings were hurt too.

BOB

maceves's picture
maceves
solitaire

While I think it was much better to look at Luaren's pretty face than play Freecell on the sidelines like I was, it is always wise to keep things civil here and keep everybody happy.  

I do like the video even if I don't always watch it.  It is great to get people's reactions to things, especially folks who have great faces --and that includes guys like Kaiser and  Schiff.   Sometimes with the visual you pick up on things you wouldn't with just the audio. 

I am sorry that she is leaving--wonder what was behind that.

Thanks Chris for the interview. 

Rector's picture
Rector
A Vote for Cloture

Let us resolve to agree to disagree and stop commenting on this thread.  I ask that any additional comments to correct my behavior be sent as a PM so as to spare the public further exposure to our disagreements.  It would also be great if we could like some additional comments on other threads to push this conversation off the home page.

Rector

RJE's picture
RJE
Rector...

...look, the reason I said that if " I were Chris or the moderator " and, you said the same thing about the Blonde in the video that your threads would be addressed and harshly, rightfully so, and is why I thought they should step in here. She has the same eye candy requirements that you seem to need just to get through a silly interview video, and she can feed chickens and pick carrots to boot! You just don't get it Brother, you offended more than just the Woman here you offended me so GROW UP!

Please, please don't write me off site again as I just am trying to make a point in an open forum so that others DO NOT think because they believe something that we all must tow the line. I walk alone Folks or with like minded Folks.

Some BOYS here owe these ladies, and Jan is not the only one commenting here who is a Lady, an apology, that simple. I hope it comes from the site moderator or Chris as it is the gentlemanly thing to do, stick up for those who are being wrongly confronted with garbage. John Wayne would.

Respectfully Given

BOB

Rector's picture
Rector
Anything else?

I am so lost and appreciate your attempts to open my eyes to my own shortcomings.  I shall enroll in a sensitivity class immediately before I offend anyone else.  Let's give love a chance and learn to forgive those of us who are unenlightened. I resolve to try harder to be a better person and walk a mile in Lauren's shoes, and look past the face to the true professional person that she is.  I bitterly regret the harm that I have caused.

I deeply apologize to all the good people here who were so hurt by my appalling, hideous, and grotesque display of chauvinism.  I struggle with my own inadequacies and hope that one day I will attain a level of civility and sensitivity displayed by you good people.  I am limited by who I am. . .

Can we move on now?

Rector

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
one final thought...

While this thread has had a certain level of disagreement and acrimony, I personally do not require any kind of apology. The opinions expressed mirror those that take place every day in the societies that we reside in. Rather than take offence, I choose to use these instances as teachable moments. Since there are some who seem to think that attitudes and behaviours arising from “conditioning” are okay, allow me to share my perspective on that.

There is more to the story with the Bush/Merkel video. The human rights lawyer who was my course facilitator had a major egg on face moment when he was unable to accommodate my needs for sub-titles and closed-captioning. He was using a different and lengthy video on discrimination for the foundation of his two-day seminar. Without the ability to understand the audio portion well, I found myself on the sidelines in the ensuing discussions. This is what a barrier to success looks like. How can I climb the corporate ladder when I do not have an equal chance to participate?

I engaged the facilitator after the course, and in our subsequent communications I was able to educate him on how his pre-conceived notions (“conditioning”) caused him to make the assumption that all course participants would be able to hear (or see) the video. To say that he, a human rights lawyer who was teaching a human rights course, was aghast at his oversight is the understatement of the year. Being the man of integrity that he was, he wrote about his mistake on his widely followed blog, and held himself up as an example of how even those with the best of intentions can be guilty of what I like to call “inadvertent exclusion”.

We became friends, and remain so to this day. We were able to do so because he was willing to look at his own conditioned attitudes and recognize that they were wrong because they were creating (inadvertent) behaviours that resulted in barriers for others. He recognized that he was part of the problem, and he made the necessary changes to correct that.

Barriers to success take many forms, from outright discrimination to inadvertent exclusion stemming from lack of awareness. In my experience as both a woman and a disabled person, I have found that there are few examples of blatant discrimination. Most problems stem from thoughtless attitudes and behaviours that never change because they are never questioned. The topic of this thread falls into this category. Many attitudes and behaviours are just assumed to be “okay” without any understanding of how devastating those behaviours can be to those downstream of them. Just because something is a conditioned response does not make it right. The barriers that women face in this world are very real, and very difficult to deal with.

And make no mistake, these things are devastating. I have lived them. Barriers to success prevent people from working, playing and participating equitably in their communities. They can rob people of the most basic thing of all, the ability to earn income to take care of themselves. They can be debilitating, and crush a person’s soul.

Like many things we do here at PP, the key is education. My mission in this life is to educate and inform every chance I get. When I see wrongs, I will try to right them by trying to enlighten people. When I see opportunities to shift people to a new way of thinking I will take it. If part of this includes holding people on this site to a higher standard, then I will do that. The comments that started this thread were inappropriate, and do not belong here. I am not saying you can’t think those thoughts, but perhaps those who tend to think this way can learn to master the art of “you can think it but you can’t say it”. We will all be better off for it.

If I have succeeded in making even one person here think differently about their “conditioned attitudes” and how those affect others, then I can mark one more notch on my mission post. One day at a time, one person at a time, I will succeed in bringing about change.

Rector, I can understand why you wanted to end the thread. No one likes negative situations in the public domain. However, running away from the situation is not the answer. My wish is that you can instead shift your thinking to see this as an opportunity to learn and grow as a human being. Peace friend.

Thank you to everyone who gave thumbs up and sent PM messages of support. It is heartwarming.

Cheers,
Jan

RJE's picture
RJE
Thanks for this Jan

Jan, you are just one remarkable and gifted Girl.

Amazingly so. This site should be honored to have you and the rest of the Girls here.

BOB

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
Thank you Bob!

Ths is a remarkable site with many remarkable people. You are one of them and I thank you for being such a great cheerleader!

Jan

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments