3 goals for the near future

Transcend
By Transcend on Sun, Nov 11, 2012 - 8:00pm

Hi all,

I would like to get more involvement from the people in our group.  We've recently had some new members and I know we could all benefit from one another.

I'm curious to know everyone's 3 near term goals they are focused on.  I have noticed a recurring theme among most (including myself) that revolves around precious metals.  It seems to be the popular thing to do, I guess since all it takes is some paper and not much else.

After hearing Chris' latest podcast with John Michael Greer, the final recommendation was to brew beer.  I hardly ever drink beer and I want to do this!  The trouble I'm having, which I've already shared here, is that I find it difficult to actually accomplish resiliency.  So, I think it's best to have goals and stick with them.  It might be the only way it gets done.

I started with water, being the most important. I live in the Beaches, which is a 10 minute walk to Lake Ontario and I've already purchased the Doulton water filter.  So I think I should be good here.

The next would be food.  I live in a small apartment so it's hard to store anything here, but I did do my best in stocking up on pasta.  This is the category I would like to work on the most, but find I'm limited until I get a place to live with more space (your thoughts?).  I went to a farmer's market close by and had a look and I wasn't that impressed.  They didn't have much variety and it seemed pretty expensive.  Does anyone have any suggestions here?

After those essentials would be health.  I've always had a healthy lifestyle.  I exercise regularly, I eat well (although not as well as I used to), and I've recently started Transcendental Meditation (TM), which has helped me sleep better and stress levels have decreased. I'm not as prepared as I would like to be in this category, so I've chosen my first goal on this topic.

My next two goals come in the heat, power, and communications category.  This is certainly where my basic resilience lacks.

My 3 goals in order of importance:

1.) Get a first-aid kit (about to order this now - that was easy!), take first-aid and CPR course

2.) Get rechargable batteries and solar power charger.

3.) Get solar powered stove and headlamp for lighting.

4.) Bonus - Get Mr. Heater and solar phone charger

What I've learned from typing this post is that many of the basic ways to build resiliency really doesn't take that much and this is where we have to start. Mine wasn't very hard because it's quite obvious I haven't done very much so far.  It's possible you all are already well ahead of me, which I would be very pleased about, but even if you are and your 3 goals are far more advanced, it is still helpful to get them down in writing and remind yourself that you have work to do.

I didn't list PMs because I will continue to accumulate monthly, but I consider that already taken care of. Ironically this is one of the last steps of action to take and yet it seems that everyone does this first!

I'm happy to have you all in this group and I hope we can get together some day and try and really make a difference.

Your input is very much appreciated.

9 Comments

MitchellCorners's picture
MitchellCorners
I'm in!

Adlevy, thanks for the great suggestion. I've recently been going through a goal clarifying exercise in my life to manage some level of frustration around progress in these areas, so this dovetails surprisingly well. As is plain to see, I've been absent from here for sometime, so I enjoyed returning to see this posted just yesterday.

The first goal I have is to get an idea I've had incubating for too long off the ground in a meaningful way and launch a new website before the New Year. This is the most important goal I have, as the idea behind the website revolves around documenting projects I'm undertaking around our house and property to improve my family's resilience and make our home a producing asset versus a consuming liability. I believe this will improve my progress as it will clarify the next actions I need to take, provide external accountability (similar to this exercise), as well as provide me with a way to track the progress I have made to date. The latter point is important as it is easy to see the things you could be doing and feel disappointment in spite of other things that you have accomplished.

Next would be to prepare a blackout procedures manual, consolidate those supplies in a single box and educate my family members about the contents (maybe add a thing or two...). When Sandy rolled through, I realized that I had most of the pieces to deal with a short-midterm power outage, but I had to scramble to set things up and pull everything together in a single place so it would be easy to access if the power went out (I realized setting up a generator I had never used in the pitch black of the middle of the night would not be a straightforward exercise, and storing water from the well in advance of losing the pump would be much easier). Furthermore, had I been unavailable, or not at home, there is no way my wife (god love her) would be able to manage a 3-year old and a 6-month old and realize that flashlights were in the camping gear box in the loft of the garage...

Finally, I need to review resources on fruit tree pruning and prune various fruit trees I planted this year in the coming weeks. I was very disappointed at my gardening efforts this year, mainly due to not getting my new front yard garden off the ground early enough in the spring. I've gone a bit over the top in making a fenced in area that will be rabbit/mole/vole proof, a big issue around here...lost some good cantaloupes last year, and the rabbits got all the seedlings that went in this spring. So being on top of the mini orchard will mean some successes and progress along building that important skill.

My bonus will be finding some spare cash at the end of the month to bolster the core PM position I secured last year. Easier said than done trying to raise a young family on a single income today...as anyone who has spent money in a grocery store will attest to these days.

If anyone has any suggestions for items they have consolidated in a single blackout kit, or knows something about pruning fruit trees, or any other useful tidbits on the above, feel free to let me know.

MC

Transcend's picture
Transcend
Great work

Hi Mitchell,

I think your list looks good.  Please do your best to complete them and update us along the way.  I would appreciate it if you could send me the website once it's complete as well.  Sounds like a great idea.

This may give you some ideas for your single blackout kit: http://www.peakprosperity.com/wsidblog/80034/72-hour-“grab-and-run”-survival-kits

Thanks for your input, I hope we hear from others.

Transcend's picture
Transcend
Update

I wanted to provide an update of my progress so far:

1.) Get a first-aid kit (about to order this now - that was easy!), take first-aid and CPR course

COMPLETE - I did a two day first aid course and it was very informative.  At times, I was hoping to do more learning and less practicing CPR on a dummy, but I understand the importance of the practice.  The 2nd day was learning about heavy bleeding, cuts, spinal and neck injurieis, poisoning, and also delivering a baby. I'm happy I've taken the course and I hope I'll never have to use any of the skills I learned, but the whole idea is that if I do have to, I'll be prepared.

2.) Get rechargable batteries and solar power charger.

COMPLETE - I got recharable batteries and a charger (although not a solar power charger)

3.) Get solar powered stove and headlamp for lighting.

INCOMPLETE - I've looked into the headlamps, which I will purchase shortly.  The stove will likely be something for the new year.

4.) Bonus - Get Mr. Heater and solar phone charger

50% - Got a solar phone charger, which should also be able to charge my recharable battery charger as well.  Mr Heater will also be something for the new year.

Once I've completed these steps, I will move on to 3 new goals to be more resilient.

amat525's picture
amat525
Toronto Resilience Community

Hi TO folks,

It would be great to be part of a community of like-minded people in the Toronto area who also feel that we live in a fragile and complex system that can break down or interrupted with little/short notice. Like the views of this site and CM, I too don't think it's a good idea to have a bunker mentality but rather be part of a strong and resilient community where individuals with unique skills/knowledge can help each other in a time of need. It is impossible for anyone to know and learn everything, so why not leverage each others strengths and talents?

I think it would be fun and educational to meet up on a regular basis to learn something about resiliency (whether it's about food storage, first aid, precious metals, or something else), or even just to watch a documentary on important subject matters and have a discussion about them. It would also be a great idea to discuss how we can help each other should a time of crisis ever arrive.

I know many folks who have started thinking more about resiliency after our recent brush with mother nature and the extreme storms and subsequent flooding. I myself am more concerned about another credit/financial crisis that can bring our system down. As I'm wiring this, WTI crude is sitting at $103 a barrel. It was $147 when it brought about the worst crisis since the depression. Given the extreme debt levels incurred since 2008 across all sectors (individuals, households, businesses, government), it might not take $147 oil to bring down the economy again. Having said this, I'm not too concered about what the exact black swan event is that will bring the system down. It might be a credit crisis, another Fukushima, a European default, or China dumping US treasuries. The fact is that the whole system is unstable and sooner or later, we will have another disaster. Kind of like a morbidly obesed person who gets a heart attack from eating a big mac. Do you blame the big mac or the fact that the person is obesed? The heart attack could have happened from that krispy kreme donut before, or the bucket of chicken after. It doesn't matter. Our entire industrialized system is obesed. Sorry for rambling. Just wanted to share my 2 cents.

A bit about myself. I don't subscribe to any ideologies or religions, nor do I condemn anyone who does. I try to be solutions oriented and keep an open mind and remind myself that I am constantly learning in this crazy world, and most folks on this planet are good people trying to find their way home. I just feel it is dangerous for your mind to lock yourself up in a camp and stick to it. This is one of the reasons why I love this site. My professional background is in architecture/building science. I am currently in the home inspection and education field, and also in energy audits. I have some experience with home renovations/carpentry, etc as I have flipped and invested in real estate. Also have a good understanding of energy efficiency systems in houses. This is perhaps the skill set that I can contribute to the community. I would love to learn from others about other basic homesteading such as food gardening, food storage, canning, and car mechanics. I live with my wife and young baby, as well as my older parents. I feel that I have a responsibility given the information I have to take care of my family and any other friends and relative who may need it in a time of crisis. Unfortunately not many of my current network shares the same views as myself.

My 3 priorities at the current time are (in order of importance):

1 - Have a 1 week survival kit ready and the knowledge to use it (energy, food, first-aid, water, heat)

2 - Get a simple vegetable garden going (maybe 2 raised beds in a green house) and start canning some of it.

3 - Improve efficiency of my house (add extra attic insulation and maybe install solar hot water heating)

If you're interested in starting a "self-reliance" network, please let me know.

All the best!

Andy

Transcend's picture
Transcend
Welcome Andy

Hi Andy, welcome!

Unforutately, we don't get a lot of discussion and input from other members in this group.  I would also be interested in meeting and helping each other out.

I'll see if I can get some more members of this group engaged.

It sounds like you're off to a good start and you seem to have a good head on your shoulders.

It would be nice to meet you soon and discuss some further preperations.

MitchellCorners
Checking back in

Hey there,

Read Chris's post today on doing the next thing and was motivated to check in and see what's new here. Things have been incredibly busy with life and I feel like the living two lives theme that's been discussed on PeakProsperity recently is really hitting home.

Based on various commitments, I had decided to mothball the new website project for a while. Not pleased with having to make that decision, but needed to put it on hold to preserve my sanity. The blackout prep is better, but still not where I'd like it to be so that I could be comfortable with the implementation when not at home myself. The fruit mini-orchard is doing quite well this year, with a decent number of good looking pears, what looks like a bumper crop of peaches (worried about some branches breaking even), and a ton of apples that have varying degrees of pest issues (mostly cosmetic, others clearly more damaged and getting thinned). The cherry and plum didn't fruit much at all. Back to the apples, I came across a great tip for pest proofing them where you use the little disposable stockings they use in shoe stores and slip those around the young apple and supposedly they just grow in that and stretch it out and the pests don't get to them...something to try for next year. The front-yard garden is really hitting its stride with a zucchini the size of my forearm coming out this past weekend...the birds got most of the strawberries, so will need to net them or cage them next year. A lot of lessons learned to say the least and all priceless feedback.

The other unexpected task I've taken on is taking Geoff Lawton's Permaculture Design Course this summer. By the end of the month I'll be a certified permaculture designer which is something I'm really excited about, and looking forward to applying that knowledge in the community along with the skills I continue to develop.

Anyway, I hope others are making progress along their paths. My wife and I have been discussing the need to clearly map out all of our projects we want to implement and try to set realistic expectations for what we can get done and when. I am an idea guy first and always have more ideas than time to implement, so I am learning to be realistic in my expectations of what I can accomplish in a year so that I do not feel disappointed at a lack of perceived progress. It also helps to stop, take a moment to breathe and look on the things that are in place that weren't a year ago and be grateful.

Take care,

MC

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
permaculture design course

Sounds like great progress. Please share how you took Geoff Lawton's permaculture deisgn class. Online? Links please?

MitchellCorners
It is an online format. Every

It is an online format. Every week a set of videos related to a chapter in the PDC was released over the past few months, an opportunity to post questions on the videos which then get answered by Geoff in subsequent videos, culminating in an online quiz and a design assignment which gets evaluated by the people at the PRI. If all things work out you get the PDC certificate signed by Geoff and can offer Permaculture consulting services and/or teach Permaculture and set up a regional Permaculture Research Institute...all in the plans of course :)

It has been a bit of a beast...there has been a ton of material and it has eaten up a lot of summer evenings. In the final push now, so as I said I'm starting to get excited.

I found this YouTube video which I think gives the course overview

(the course website only has a login page for the students, but I think this is the site that gets you there http://www.geofflawton.com/sq/26801-absolute-in-abundance).

Any other questions feel free to send them my way.

MC

amat525's picture
amat525
Hi Adlevy, Are you part of or

Hi Adlevy,

Are you part of or have knowledge of the Transition Toronto group? Small local grassroots group that started from the Transition towns initiative from Rob Hopkins from the UK. Not sure if you're already involved, but if not, it sounds like it might be up your (and mine) alley.

They do regular meetups on resiliency.

Cheers,

Andy

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments