What do you think of our new 'Welcome' experience?

Adam Taggart
By Adam Taggart on Fri, Jun 22, 2012 - 9:00pm

What to you think of our new Welcome flow?

http://www.peakprosperity.com/welcome

We created it to help orient new users to the site and to our larger message, in general.

There wasn't much hand-holding for newbies on the old ChrisMartenson.com site. Because of that and other usability issues, we received feedback that some of you didn't feel comfortable referring people to the site.

How does this new approach work, with its short overview videos and flow for directing people to specific site features based on their priorities?

Let us know in the Comments below.

Thanks!

Adam

20 Comments

SingleSpeak's picture
SingleSpeak
Good Work

Adam,

When I think of all the thought, preparation, and work it takes to produce even a relatively simple page like this, it makes me not want to suggest even more. The page definitely explains what Peak Prosperity is in a concise manner. A little more hand-holding might be helpful if at the bottom where you ask "what is your main area of interest". Then the person does a click-through and it has item 1, item 2, etc. Instead you might consider doing a short video for each of the catagories that explains that "If you are interested in preserving your wealth, we suggest exploring item 1 which bla, bla, and item 2 which bla, bla, etc." Watching videos (for us lazy people) is easier than reading.

Larry

amusedtodeath's picture
amusedtodeath
Groups but what about individuals

Great site, really well done to all who have built it! One small enhancement idea though: as well as "Groups" in your area under the Prepare tab, could you also do a "individual"? I am in the UK and the only groups that are active are many miles away (and only two in the UK). I would like to converse with like minded people in my area, but have no means to do so.If this could be done it would be of great benefit to more isolated areas/people.

Thanks RW

Seeker45's picture
Seeker45
very confused by the new site

I can't find topics by subscribers and others as I did on the old site.

I can't find a display of comments by subscribers as I did on the old site.

I have a slow connection. The new site has so much in separate pages that it takes me too long to find what I am looking for.

The old site was much easier for me becaue everything was on one page.

The title "Prosperity" is difficult for me because I am on the bottom of the 99% and it doesn't look like prospertiy is in my future.

I'm wondering if the site isn't more suitable for an upscale, 1% crowd that can afford fast internet connects and has the tech savvy to know how to navigate through many windows.

Maybe your company should post a tutorial about how to translate from the old site to the new site and also how those of us in the bottom of the 99% can benefit from the new site.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
site overview videos

Seeker -

You can find several videos designed to orient you to the new site here: 

http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/78943/introducing-peak-prosperity

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
amused

If no UK groups are close to your location - then considering creating your own group, so others in your area can find you.

Click here to Create a Group.

funglestrumpet's picture
funglestrumpet
Weekly Newsletter

I imagine that during the changeover to the new site you did not have time to produce last week's newsletter. Whatever the reason, perhaps it would have made sense to send out a simple explanatory email informing us of its status. In that email you could have told us that it would still be produced and regular recipients would still receive their copy (and when, if the delay is going to be more than one week), assuming that still to be the case.

As things stand, I have no idea as to whether I am to receive the newsletter, or whether the move to a new site means that I am no longer eligible.

Frankly, I expect better information from a site that prides itself on the quality of its information. If you have actually given this information somewhere, then I apologise, but with the caveat that it should have been more obvious.

And while I am at it (having a bit of a moan), why is there not a 'submit' button? All I can see are 'save' and 'preview'. Having already previewed, I will now press 'save' and see what happens. A voyage of discovery is not what I expected when I began this comment!

stevejermy's picture
stevejermy
Om balance, i much prefer the

Om balance, i much prefer the site, so well done from this UK undividual!

There'll be ups and downs with an update like this, as the above comments indicate, but the key - as indeed will be the case for all of us as we navigate into this wholly uncertain future - will be to learn quickly and adapt.

One area that I'd focus on is the indicator page - the key metrics and stats that Chris and many of us follow, to try to make sense of unfolding human events. The more that this can become a one sto shop for us, the better. Energy and food price metrics will be important to weave in, here, as well as the economic indicators. And so, too, will be the 'real' data, e.g. real GDP and inflation, rather than government reported. If, over time, some of this data could be incorporated in trend graphs, then so much the better, although I realise this would take time.

But overall, we're heading in the right direction, so keep up the good work!

ScubaRoo's picture
ScubaRoo
Steve & Amused - UK group of interest?

Good to see a couple more from the UK.

You may wish to consider the UK group.

Latest post is on a link to a thought provoking TV doc "Surviving Progress", recently broadcast on the BBC.. Inc YouTube link for US members too... :-)

http://www.peakprosperity.com/group/uk-peak-prosperity

jonesb.mta's picture
jonesb.mta
Comments

On the old site it was nice to see new comments and be able to click on them and go directly to the new comments, now we get thrown to the top of the article and have go through all the comments we've already read. In some respects the old site was far superior.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Today's Markets

Thanks, Steve.

We agree with your vision for a dashboard page aggregating the data Chris follows closely all onto one page. 

That is in development and should be live within a week or so. You'll access it by clicking the "More" link within the Today's Market module on the home page. 

(If you click it right now, you'll see a "coming soon" message)

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
comments bug

jonesb -

Not landing on the specific comment is a known bug that should be fixed within the next few days. Thanks for your patience with us.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
weekly newsletter

The weekly newsletter has been held up due to a database issue we wrestled with when migrating to the new site. Without the new database fully & properly in place, our mass email system can't run.

There were a series of follow-on issues created by that one big bug - like the frequent logging out of users many of you likely experienced. We've been prioritizing resolving them, and the newsletter should be operational shortly (i.e. days at the most)

fungle: I understand your frustration & appreciate your patience with us. One thing I ask you to keep in mind is the tiny nature of the team working on this ambitious endeavor. We've just launched a far more complex and sophisticated (and hopefully much better!) site with a team I can count on one hand. Most have had very little sleep in weeks. Not an excuse, just context for how we're operating here.

thomastrout's picture
thomastrout
What Happened??

As a subscriber, i would have appreciated some type of alert to the fact that the entire online presence (even the url) of chrismartinsen.com was changing.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Thomas

I'm assuming you haven't visited our site in the past few months.

We telegraphed the approaching site change many times on CM.com over the weeks and months preceding the switchover.

We then posted this announcement (including several videos providing an overview of the coming site) and featured it at the top of CM.com for the week before Peak Prosperity launched:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/new-site-finally-here/76354

This announcement was also emailed out to all of our registered and enrolled users.

Then, when the new site launched, we featued this orientation post, explaining all the new features & improvements:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/78943/introducing-peak-prosperity

Beyond these steps, what more notice would you like to have seen?

joanne123's picture
joanne123
slow upload

Hi Adam

like the new site - am gradually finding my way around it and joining some groups.  One thing though, it seems to take me a lot longer to upload some pages (not all) and can't figure a pattern to it or a reason.  In some cases it is taking too long and I'm 'giving up waiting.'  Any ideas as to why this should be?  Regards.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
chrisf

That's strange, as the site should load notably faster now given the substantially-improved server setup we now have. 

If the problem persists, please use the Contact Us form to let us know what type of computer you're using, what browser, and what speed internet connection. We'll do our best to figure out what's going on.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
Comments

I totally agree.  In fact, I find it almost impossible to navigate this new site.... and I've largely given up trying to comment anywhere.  I guess after nearly 4000 posts I've said my piece anyway...!  I'll just keep coming for the DD, because at least I know where to find it!

Mike

SingleSpeak's picture
SingleSpeak
There is no amount of notice

you can give a group of people that someone doesn't get blindsided. 

I've run my music school for a decade and announce school closings, upcoming performances, etc. on a regular basis. There are flyers sent home, emails, important event postings on the bulletin board, mass phone calls, postings on the website, yearly calendar of events, personal reminders during the lessons, and without fail there is always one family on the day after the event that says, "Why weren't we notified?"

I believe anyone paying attention knew about the coming change well in advance, but then I've been eagerly awaiting the new site since viewing the prototype last October in Twain Heart.

jfkkrash2's picture
jfkkrash2
New Welcome Screen

I think the new welcome screen is very well done.  It seems like an improvement principally because I feel less like I'm being pitched to buy gold, and more to consider the different ways in which I might respond to the potential crises in our future.  I've been discouraged from visiting the site in recent months because of the impression that it was evolving into a profitable promotional tool for the precious metals industry.  Sorry -- that's just the way it has struck me.  Given my local access to people sharing a concern about having a sustainable economy and environment, I've been hesitant to spend time following the wealth of information available at PeakProsperity.com. 

jfkkrash2's picture
jfkkrash2
New Welcome Screen

I think the new welcome screen is very well done.  It seems like an improvement principally because I feel less like I'm being pitched to buy gold, and more to consider the different ways in which I might respond to the potential crises in our future.  I've been discouraged from visiting the site in recent months because of the impression that it was evolving into a profitable promotional tool for the precious metals industry.  Sorry -- that's just the way it has struck me.  Given my local access to people sharing a concern about having a sustainable economy and environment, I've been hesitant to spend time following the wealth of information available at PeakProsperity.com. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments